Catholic dean at U of Oklahoma leaves after saying women shouldn’t wear pants

In his book, To Build the City of God: Living as Catholics in a Secular Age, he wrote that “women must veil their form to obscure its contours out of charity towards men… To know that women in pants have this effect on men and to wear them is thus a sin against charity as well as modesty.” He extended this idea to women's activities, writing that “if there is something really impossible to do in a skirt, does this not indicate this is an activity inappropriate for a woman to perform?”

insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2018/10/03/associate-dean-wrote-women-shouldnt-wear-pants

Attached: C43AEC19-C24F-4D15-8679-C6D0B113B4E2.jpeg (1071x1600, 195.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

catholicmodesty.com/PadrePio.html
youtube.com/watch?v=PKFeS_Usu2A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love skirts but these days they are quite short and revealing. I see more panties than I'd like at work cause of this.

Attached: gjwgyjyg4z011.jpg (516x1467, 83.1K)

This goes both ways.
Men should control their lust, women shoul avoid becoming an object of temptation.

Padre Pio refused to confess women if their dress was too short or if they wore pants.
catholicmodesty.com/PadrePio.html

You could put a woman completely covered in a burqa surrounded by a cardboard box and there are men who would fall into lust just knowing there's a woman in there somewhere. It isn't always easy to avoid becoming an object of temptation.

I've fapped to OP's pic twice now. Someone better stone her to death quick!

But not all pants are skintight?
Well modern skirts are short too.

Attached: Uhhhhh.png (650x428, 186.18K)

Twice in an hour? You need help, son.

Meh, there's no real "modern" when it comes to clothing. Skirts and pants can be baggy, flowing, short, tight, or whatever. Just depends on what you buy.

It isn't always easy but it's better to do your best.
If we go by this argument, dressing like pic related is okay since men should control themselves period. It's essentially a feminist argument.

""Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!"

Attached: 13089__03657.1469034800.jpg (700x1280, 169.08K)

Oh, I agree that it's important to try to avoid sin and to not cause others to fall into sin; I'm just sayin' that it's not always so easy. If an alcoholic is watching a television show and one of the characters in the show imbibes - causing the alcoholic to drink - do you blame the television show or the drunk who chose to watch it? Admittedly it's an age old argument and we probably won't solve it here.

Though I do have another solution: marry a woman who sews! My wife makes all her own clothes so she has 100% control over what shows and what doesn't.

What are you waiting? Give us the book! A pdf format should work just fine.

This is true.
And you're very lucky user. God bless you.

Well, can't say it was due to skimpy dress in that case.

Good to know we have people with real problems here.

Noice.

I just talked to someone about this, now that I replied to a few other things here and really stuff like this, according to him (he's quite old, previously an academic as well) has been going on since at least the 1960s. He doesn't really see much difference between the people protesting modesty back then and these people now, they seem to be the same sort of fellow travelers.

He also said the dean should have stayed, and come out swinging verbally against the naysayers.

Works both ways, there are clothes guys wear that they shouldn't. You can't and shouldn't legislate "decency", but to act like calling someone a whore when they are dressing as a whore is the same as legislating is wrong. We all know exactly what he means, even if you don't agree with the specifics. It goes hand in hand with victim shaming; women are pure and chaste and damn you for calling her a slut and saying she should not have dressed or acted in a way.

Are you lost?

AND BECAUSE OF THE MULTIPLICATION OF WICKEDNESS
THE LOVE OF MOST GREW COLD
BUT THOSE THAT PRESERVE TO THE END WILL BE SAVED

and he's absolutely right.

we're living in an extraordinary time, the men of the past didn't have to deal with the sort of bodily exposure even teenage girls have on these days.

The trick is where to draw the line. There are people who believe a woman showing neck and/or ankles is a whore deserving of the gallows. The woman in OP's pic would be chastised and possibly driven out of the community for showing her neck.

We live in strange times.

Wow, I know this guy, sad to see this happen to him but I'm sure he will be alright. He has some good talks on youtube as well:

youtube.com/watch?v=PKFeS_Usu2A

Haven't watched this one yet so posting as a sort of reminder and to share his content.

The real problem isn't that women wearing pants is innately seductive; it's that women wearing pants are trying to be men. We've all become so used to women cross-dressing that we don't even notice it anymore.

Women have been wearing pants since long before Christ walked the earth. Not sure what you're on about, but Victorian England is not the beginning of history.

burkas are just an extreme version of being modest. A lot of Islamic morality is similar to Christian morality, but more severe with less compassion and forgiveness. Women being modest is a good thing, and men controlling themselves is also correct

Yes, but also just because primal natives run around naked doesn't mean it would be right for people in the first world to do the same. I don't think pants are a huge problem myself, but women should definitely dress feminine and men should dress like men, this post modern gender bending is stupid and harmful

What about women in the military? And don't tell me that's anti-Christian because there were women in the military in Christ's time. Should they be saddled with skirts that could get them killed on the battle field?

The burkah isn't in Qur'an. Men - yes MEN - are told to "lower their gaze". If done properly, a woman could be bar-ass naked and the men should not even be aware of it.

No? Why do you think that's my position? Fighting women are an anomaly, but it does happen, Joan of Arc is a great example and no she wasn't a post modernist gender bender. The hatred of gender roles is satanic.

Men should lower their gaze, especially since we live in a hypersexual culture that's beyond our control, but it's sinful for a women to prance around provocatively with the intent to manipulate men and persuade them to sin

Well, no, they just shouldn't be on the battlefield at all unless it's a war of annihilation. But even in those cases that's a rare thing when done naturally.

Christian ethics are soteriological. You take into account Christ and man's ultimate goal: union with Christ or salvation. Therefore, wearing a revealing skirt that causes a man to sin and imperils his salvation is unethical. We are one body. Why would you want to cause your brother, of the same mystical body, to sin? Yeah, this is not Islam. A man's sin is not the woman's fault. But if you cared for your Christian brethren, you would not endanger their salvation.

Um…. where? Not among the Romans or Israelites surely.