Making a continue with the christians chart

I'm making a new thread for this so that it will get more oxygen and people can contribute. This is a very basic rough draft of the first outline of this chart. This is meant to be like the start with the greeks/resume with the romans /lit/ charts. What input does Zig Forums have here?
I am also the OP of and that book is meant to be in the far left of the chart

Attached: New Project.png (2500x3000, 414.67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.co.uk/books/about/Historical_and_Chronological_Context_of.html?id=Av8rkgAACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y
amazon.co.uk/Historical-Chronological-Context-Bible-Bruce/dp/1426943598
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This thread is also inspired by this thread

Attached: development final draft.jpg (2000x7655, 2.23M)

Alright, I'm looking for books to fill that red square. Basically I want it to be supplemental reading for the OT. A book that both serves as a history of the ancient kingdom and provides background to the books of the Old Testament. Here are some contenders I have found
Does Zig Forums have any suggestions on what book should fill that red square?

On the Incarnation - Athanasius of Alexandria
On the Holy Spirit - Basil of Caesarea
On the Unity of Christ - Cyril of Alexandria
Tome of Leo - Leo of Rome
Disputations with Pyrrhus - Maximus of Constantinople
On the Divine Images - John of Damascus

Those are for each council, right?

yah exposition of doctrine that were adopted by the councils

the 5th council doesn't really have a equivalent since its mostly a rehash of previous councils and a condemnation of elements of Origenism

So re: the Fathers, every book rec I see here is either not limited to the church fathers and includes a bunch of modern works with only a couple fathers, or it’s full on complete church fathers collections. What are the essential works of the church fathers? The one I know right now are

Beyond these books that explain the theology of the councils, what are the main works to include?

Does Disputations with Pyrrhus work as a fifth council book though?

Here's probably the most authentic depiction of a Torah scroll written in a Paleo-Hebrew like script, matters of textual difference aside.

Attached: 682px-Gerizim_Samaritan_Torah_IMG_2118.JPG (682x1023, 188.69K)

Out of all of them probably, 'On the Incarnation' imo

6th

Some suggestions: (copied this from an user on /lit/
Maybe Eriugena, Duns Scotus, Meister Eckhart, Hildegaard of Bingen, and assorted Papal works?

Historical background:
- Context of Scripture (Hallo)
- ANET and ANEP (Pritchard)
- Cambridge World Prehistory
- Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity (Di Berardino)

Is that Samaritan?

Yeah apparently one used at or from Mount Gerizim.

That last one is heresy

*anti-heresy

Here ya go OP

books.google.co.uk/books/about/Historical_and_Chronological_Context_of.html?id=Av8rkgAACAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

amazon.co.uk/Historical-Chronological-Context-Bible-Bruce/dp/1426943598

Attached: 518p23UY6VL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (375x499, 33.71K)

Well I could add 'An Exact Position of the Orthodox Faith' by John of Damascus its a synthesis of the theology of those books and some other elements by a Church Father himself. Basically a tl:dr.

Nope it's heresy

Exposition*

I agree with that verse and the book. Maybe you should read it.

Thank you both very much

Should I start the thread with Mere Christianity? I'm thinking of doing so, as it's considered one of the easiest introductions to Christian theology and apologetics. Maybe including it as a "start here" point before leading into the Bible
Alternatively (cause I do like the idea of an easy to read "start here" point before you read such a massive and difficult work as the Bible), does anyone have any suggestions for something better than Mere Christianity?

Should I include Origen in this chart? He was very influential, but his views were later denounced as anathema

better stick with more orthodox people. although, st. thomas aquinas' catena auera (golden chain) does include origen as one of the commentators, but I guess Aquinas made sure to only include the orthodox stuff.

There are so many other people you could include other than origen first though

Here's what it looks like right now

Attached: New Project(1).png (3500x4000, 1001.52K)

Right now, unless anybody speaks up, I'm gonna follow up the apostolic fathers with the apostolic constitutions. Do you guys think that's good?

personally I wouldn't actually recommend anyone to just read the bible alone, maybe a bible with commentary? The Catena Auera for the Four Gospels are pretty good, and then i've found there is Ancient Church Fathers Commentary, although I hear that it tends to exclude commentary that's too "catholic", but personally I would recommend some sort of Bible with commentary.

The hope is that people won't read it without any commentary, that's why I recommend the other book for context.

Just posting the ones I've read so far that I think are important, in no particular order:

1st and 2nd Apology, Dialogue with Trypho, On the Resurrection, Discourse to the Greeks, Address to the Greeks - St. Justin Martyr
Against Heresies - St. Irenaeus
On First Principal, Against Celsus - Origen
Stromata - Clement of Alexandria
On the Apostolic Tradition - Hippolytus
The Divine Institutes - Lactantius
Confessions, City of God, On the Trinity - St. Augustine
On the Priesthood, Homilies on the Gospel of Matthew, Homilies on the Gospel of John - St. John Chrysostom
The Sacred Writings of St. Jerome, Commentary on Daniel - St. Jerome
On God and Christ, The Five Theological Orations and Two Letters to Cledonius - St. Gregory of Nazianzus
On the Incarnation, Against the Heathens - St. Athanasius
On the Holy Spirit, On the Human Condition - St. Basil the Great
On the Trinity, On the Holy Spirit, On the Soul and Resurrection - St. Gregory of Nyssa
On the Mysteries and On Repentance, On the Holy Spirit - St. Ambrose
De Trinitae - St. Hilary of Poitiers
Book of Pastoral Rule - Pope St. Gregory the Great
On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ - St. Maximus the Confessor
On the Unity of Christ - St. Cyril of Alexandria
The Ladder of Divine Ascent - St. John Climacus
The Fount of Knowledge - St. John of Damascus

it's so much easier to actually recommend a bible with interline commentary though

I recommend slightly larger pictures or typing the author/editor/series in the writeup. I can't see any of the details on "The Apostolic Fathers" and that's a pretty general title I imagine is used for a few different volumes.

I also recommend a general reading order for the Bible, eg. Gospels first, then letters, prophets, etc. That might even be worth a chart on its own if people want to get detailed enough.

Add Ecclesiactical History by Eusebius and the First and Second Apologies of Justin Martyr

Thank you

I wanted to leave Bible choice up in the open, cause if I come out swinging for one I know it'll cause shitflinging

That's partly due to my crummy software, unfortunately. No matter what I do, once I transform the images they get and janky and weird. It might be best if, once I'm done, some other Christanon with photoshop go through and fix the book covers

Added

I'm going to bed, sleep tight

This is just for my own memory, in case I forget tomorrow. The font is Karla size 36 and the draft is in my downloads folder.

Attached: New Project(2).png (3500x4000, 1.47M)

Actually, since I haven't gone right to bed yet, I'm gonna float this by Zig Forums: are there some writers I should just put "complete works" for? Cause I'm thinking of doing that with a few, especially Augustine. I probably will in the description say "the essentials are…" but I have trouble fitting a bunch of squares in for each individual work. I think that's no problem cause the start with the Greeks thread does that, listing Plato's and Aristotle's complete works

Attached: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (3672x3024, 1.38M)

That should be okay, especially with the Saints of the 4th and 5th centuries since they wrote volumes upon volumes of texts.

Attached: ecumenical_theology.jpg (1597x1141, 928.97K)

Attached: Ecumenical Theology.jpg (1597x1173, 937.83K)

Hmm… i don’t know if this is too high a level for an introductory reading list, but maybe put in the Ladder of Divine Ascent after the Desert Fathers, and if it’s going to be divided up by Traditions, the Philokalia further down in the Orthodox section. If not, i don’t really know a place for it, but I’m sure you can work it out.

why did you ignore these recommendations for historical context?