What is the Holy Spirit?

The only satisfying answer I've heard to this question is it is consciousness. But I've also heard other claims too, such as it being the global subconscious. Others say it's the equivalent of God's magic wand and that's it. What does Zig Forums think it is?

Attached: 1507258790967s.jpg (250x220, 6.33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cdn.theologicalstudies.net/51/51.2/51.2.1.pdf
en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo/On_The_Trinity
krisispraxis.com/archives/2006/06/augustine-model-of-the-trinity/
newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm
newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm
catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/the-holy-spirit-is-god
thecatholicthing.org/2016/07/11/how-god-is-incomprehensible-simple-and-a-trinity/
newadvent.org/summa/1037.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The holy opposite to other kinds of spirits like that which those possessed by multiple unclean spirits had.

Where the winnie the pooh are you hearing all this heretical garbage?

Every corner of the internet calls it something different. I asked a priest what it is. He said it's just obvious but hard to explain.

The Holy Spirit is the mutual love between the Father and the Son. Just as the Son is the Logos, the manifestation of Gods rational creative will, the Holy Spirit is the manifestation of the pure, unfettered love between God the Father and His Son.

cdn.theologicalstudies.net/51/51.2/51.2.1.pdf

Attached: 604cbe5562dcaa1bec2045a0cc7e7ec4.png (450x338, 288.43K)

Okay, what does this mean? What is it?

It's a kind of air or wind. It's distinguished from the soul (psukhé, i.e psyche).

A husband and wife can love each other very much, but to say that their love is actually another person is ridiculous.

And what does it manifest as? How is it relevant to us? I understand the Father being the initial creator and Jesus the Logos, but what is the Holy Spirit?

I didn't deny the personhood of the spirit any more than saying Jesus is the Logos is denying his personhood.

Is this a joke?

Attached: 1508968668867.png (612x491, 97.59K)

Love, wisdom, faith. When it manifests itself physically it takes the form of a dove.
It's relevant to us because the Holy Spirit dwells within us after baptism and connects us to Jesus as the true vine. Through the Holy Spirit we receive the gifts that transform ourselves from the fallen man to the original vision of true sonship and communion with God.

To say that the Spirit is the love between the Father and Son is to relegate the Spirit to one of God's attributes, not to God Himself.

Uhhhhhhh, okay so what is it? Parents can provide love, wisdom, and faith too. What makes it different from a magical wind made of love that teleports faith into you? What actually IS it?

Well how else do you explain something that is otherwise imperceptible to the naked eye that can somehow permeate bodies.
Genesis says that God's spirit moved over the face of the waters. So perhaps it could be deduced that the Holy Spirit is commanded by God while unclean ones are commanded by Satan or other evil or adversaries of God with spiritual command like could be expected of the Satan.

No it doesn't. Read the paper I linked, it very clearly explains the concept. If Jesus can be the Logos without being relegated to merely being an "attribute" of God then the Holy Spirit can be love. It's the exact same principle. You cannot refute one without denying the other.

The noosphere can do that too, which is probably why a lot of people think that's what it is. Consciousness and the noosphere are the only satisfying answers I've ever heard describe it. Everyone else (yes INCLUDING self proclaimed devout Christians) just regurgitates the atheist strawman "It's just joo magic mayne!"

Christ being associated with the eternal Logos in John's Gospel is something which has been revealed to us, thereby being theologically true. The Spirit being the love which exists between the Father and Son is just theological speculation and doesn't affirm the personhood of the Spirit, only the attributes of the Father and Son.

Well what is it? I refuse to believe a fedora strawman is the actual church doctrine. Unless this board is nothing but larping fedoras at least one of you should have a satisfactory answer or at least be able to link me to some of Aquinas' thoughts on the matter.

Noosphere? Aside from it's obvious foreignness to standard doctrinal thought, it looks like some kind of a collective consciousness. How many of those are supposed to exist? I'm really just going by an etymological interpretation of it all.

Nevermind I just looked up what Aquinas says and all he did was justifying naming it and say some autism about who it proceeds from. He does not describe WHAT it is.

It's already been explained to you. You're probably thinking in terms of physicality, wondering what the Holy Spirit is in terms of matter. Remember the Holy Spirit is spirit, i.e. not physical. It can exist as something we consider only conceptual. When people say "God is Love" they don't mean God is very loving. They mean God IS love, it forms part of the fabric of his very being. Love to us is something non-physical, we can't touch it with our physical bodies, but it does exist in a very real way and God is the ultimate manifestation of it, all Love flows from Him and filters down to us.

So with that in mind you need to remember the Holy Spirit is not physical, it exists as something to us would seem to be something purely conceptual, but it is very real and from it flow the gifts of love, wisdom and faith.

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He is Gods Spirit, He is also the Gift of the Father to those that are saved. He teaches us all things and revels Jesus to us helps us in our walk. Is the power of God that works through believers and is called the comforter by Jesus. He is also the one that gave the power to Jesus to do miracles since Jesus was a man. Jesus ministry started at when He was baptized with the Holy Spirit in the Jordan. It is the same spirit that gave the Apostles utterance on the day of Pentecost. He is the one that bestows the gifts of the spirit on us. He is also the one that was at work in the Old Testament. He is the one that urges people to accept Jesus as Lord of their lives. He is the one that restrains the devil at this time so he cannot do all that he wants. He is also the one that overshadowed Mary who got pregnant and gave birth to Jesus. He is the one that wrote the bible through many men and He is also the one that helps us to pray when do not know what to pray. This only lists a small portion of the work of the Holy Spirit.

As I understand it the noosphere is the interconnected network of human minds for memes and information to flow through. I suppose communication would be another satisfactory answer for what the Holy Spirit is, if that is truly what it is.

I can understand concepts just fine, but I'm not comfortable believing it's "just joo majik" like the fedoras say. Surely other Christians have more complex and definite explanations.

Not apart from God they cannot. None of those things exist without God.

Just as Jesus is a person so is the Holy Spirit. He reveals to us all things that God wants to show or tell us. He is real and alive and not conceptual in nature. The bible says my sheep know my voice.

WHAT is it?

We don't really know. It's like how we don't really know what "proceed" or "begotten" means. The Holy Spirit's existence was revealed to us, but we only have a few things to go on as to what it is exactly. The Orthodox would prefer just to accept that we don't know and say that the nature of the Trinity is a mystery rather than charge forward blindly and end up spouting flat out incorrect heresy like half this thread.

It's a Mystery.

Attached: ortholol.png (1124x2311, 2.47M)

If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty those things cannot exist in a human without neural synapsis firing a certain way. I highly doubt brain cells are the Holy Spirit.

Clearly you cannot since it's been explained to you in this thread about 5 times and you keep coming back with "B-B-But WHAT IS IT!?". You can't seem to wrap your head around the idea of non-physicality. The idea that the Holy Spirit is the love between the Father and the Son doesn't mean it's nothing more than an idea. Love is not a feeling. It's a real thing that exists, with no physicality. It forms Gods very being. Just as the Son was begotten by the Father the Holy Spirit proceeds from both Father and Son as the manifestation of their mutual love. It is a person, just like the Father and the Son

Looks like it means engendered or generated.

The bible says God did not leave us alone, this refers to the Holy spirit that lives inside of us when we receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit as Jesus did. When this happens we receive the same power that Jesus had to perform miracles, since Jesus was man and is our example and it was the Holy Spirit through Him that did the miracles.

The Holy Spirit is only a mystery to those that want to remain ignorant of what God has for them.

Define love. You're clearly not talking about romance or normal affection.

You overplayed your hand fedora. The physical brain is not the seat of the will and your consciousness doesn't reside in your brain cells. This is why you can't understand the Holy Spirit, it's because you're beholden to an atheistic worldview where you see things as being reducible to their smallest physical components. You're wrong

I'm a Christian. I'm not a fedora but I'm not a science denying retard either. My mother is a biologist and my dad a physicist.

1 Corinthians 13 is what love is. God loves us so much that He gave His only Son so we could talk with Him and have fellowship with Him. Knock and I will answer, seek and you will find when you seek me with all your heart.

Love is the qualitative experience of willing the good of the other. It is a qualia and as such cannot be defined objectively, you know it when you feel it within you when the Holy Spirit grants it to you. It is non-physical and forms the being of God, we experience it as something within our consciousness which is also non-physical

You cannot reconcile Christianity with physicalism. If you believe you have a soul then it is non-physical and not tied to brain function. If you don't believe in the soul you're not a Christian. This is probably why you're having so much trouble understanding the spirit because you can't grok the idea of things that are concepts to us being real and actually having form in a higher dimension.

WE are spiritual beings that will live forever but we are a spirit that has a soul that has a body. The body or flesh will die off but, us, our spirit and soul or memories will live forever.

No flesh will inherit the kingdom of God. For God does is not flesh but those that come to Him must come to Him in Spirit and in truth

The brain holds memories and emotion. The human spirit that interfaces with the body as far as we know (through science at least (not fedora retard science either)) only performs decision making.

The body contains memories and the Bible suggests there is no knowledge after death.

Unless you meet God you will never know true love. He is so beautiful, so loving that we as humans cannot imagine the kind of love that He has for us. The acceptance the warmth and radiance of His presence makes you break down.

Love like faith is a verb, living and active its not a noun.

When Jesus came back many times He knew the Apostles and even asked Thomas to touch the holes in His hand. It there was no memory after death then how did Jesus know all this and came back and ate with the apostles.

When Lazarus was brought back from the dead by Jesus how did he know where he was and the loved ones around him?

So the Holy Spirit is just good will?

Good point. I always thought there was something weird about that verse.

The Holy Spirit IS the Third person of the Trinity. He is a real person and someone the Apostles would consult and listen to where they were supposed to go in their travels.

Joh 16:7  "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. 
Joh 16:8  "And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 
Joh 16:9  concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 
Joh 16:10  and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 
Joh 16:11  and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. 
Joh 16:12  "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 
Joh 16:13  "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 
Joh 16:14  "He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. 
Joh 16:15  "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you. 

I dunno, they've also been called the three natures which could also apply well to "personae".

Mat 3:11  "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 

Act 2:1  When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. 
Act 2:2  And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 
Act 2:3  And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. 
Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance. 

Augustine said it is like the will

Father = Memory
Son = Words
Holy Spirit = Will

Also you could say

Father = Subconscious Mind
Son = Conscious Mind
Holy Spirit = Will

Just like your thoughts are invisible and unknowable without conscious thoughts, either speaking it out loud or thinking thoughts in your mind with words, so to is the Father the invisible God that no one has seen except for a perfect image, which is the word.

If your words that you say perfectly reflect your thoughts/memory etc, then everything is good, but if not then there is an issue, you aren't working perfectly together.

Also this is what it means to be image in the image of God, that we are made in the image of the trinity. I've found this to be the best analogy for understanding the trinity, but remember, no analogy can be perfect to encapsulate all of the trinity.

And no this isn't some random nonsense I came up with, it's from St. Augustine:

en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo/On_The_Trinity
krisispraxis.com/archives/2006/06/augustine-model-of-the-trinity/

I wish more people were familiar with this, instead of all the heretical stuff like oh you can be a father but also a son and also an uncle, or muh water,ice,steam etc. Once I learned about this more I was really amazed at how deep the Trinity is.

When you read about someone you dont know them and it is a persona. But when you meet them face to face then they become a person. Seeing they do not see and hearing they do not hear.

So in your thoughts the subconscious mind made the world? How did that work?

Best answer itt. Thank you.

This is the most amazing journey you will ever go on to discover God. Just like science you cannot explain advanced theories to lay people because it will be nonsense. So it is with God, but once you begin to know Him it will complete your life.

You know that he just rephrased what was in the paper I originally posted here
right?

He is one of the three persons in the Blessed Trinity (along with the Father and the Son) and is fully and completely God Himself.

newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htm
catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/the-holy-spirit-is-god

In case you are going to ask: how can one person be God, and another be God, and yet a third one also be complete God, when the same time there is only one, undivided God, see:

thecatholicthing.org/2016/07/11/how-god-is-incomprehensible-simple-and-a-trinity/

Attached: Martorana_(Palermo)_-_Kuppel_msu2017-0148.jpg (1280x1310, 796.76K)

Only God can truly reveal himself, as he is beyond the human capacity to full grasp. People can talk about God, but they will never be fully accurate on their own without a divine intervention. This is actually part ofwhy the closer to God you are, the more divisive the people get. You get a bunch of religions that are close to unified, then the Abrahamic religions with thousands of sects, and Christianity the most divided of them all. Humans mess up God because we can't fully grasp him with our own knowledge, you must understand that. Ponder the story of Augustine and the child with the sea shell. Augustine was trying to understand the trinity with his own intellect, and he saw a little child carrying a seashell full of water and putting the water into a hole in the dirt.
and the child reveals himself to be an angel and disappear.
The human mind can not come to God on its own, we NEED God for us to come to God.
Now that you understand all that: the Holy Spirit brings us to Christ, Christ brings us to the Father. Nobody could come to the Father except through Christ, because Christ is God. In the same sense, the Holy Spirit is God bringing us to Christ. The Holy Spirit acts as an active force to guide God's children. The Holy Spirit brings us to Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ brings us to the Father. God brings us to God. Without the Holy Spirit inspiring scripture, guiding the church, answering our prayers, and especially coming upon the virgin Mary, humanity would never be able to access and reach Christ. God the Holy Spirit leads us to Christ God, Jesus Christ our God leads us to God the Father.
Now you may ask what brings us to the Holy Spirit? Is there a fourth person of God who leads us to him? No. Christ came to Earth and lead the apostles to the Holy Spirit. Christ lead the apostles to the Holy Spirit, another act of God leading people to God. Christ is fully man and fully God, so he was able to bridge the gap between the mortal apostles and the eternal God the Father. They came looking for a man, and found God. God then sent the Holy Spirit after Christ left Earth. The Holy Spirit continues to lead us to Christ every day, so we can eventually enjoy the fullness of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in Heaven
That's the best explanation for what the Holy Spirit is that I have heard

Anyone can quote scripture or other writers but are you baptized in the Spirit?

The Apostles did not understand who Jesus really was, did no miracle, denied Him and ran away from Him till one day they received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and their eyes were opened and they had the power and understanding to go out and be a powerful witness for Christ and start His church.

glad I could help bro/sis. God bless you!

um wrong, Peter walked on water (briefly) before being baptized in the Holy Spirit. And Jesus said he was sinking not because he hadn't received the Holy Spirit, but because he was not believing. Jesus said if you have just a bit of faith you can tell a mountain to move and it will, and I actually literally believe this. I think if you actually believe you can manipulate reality (miracles, such as walking on water, healing the sick, etc etc). But you need to have actual real faith.

Jesus was with Him, just as Peter put the net over the other side of the boat and pulled in a big catch. Or Jesus stilled the waters, or many of the other miracles Jesus did in the Apostles presence.

Faith the God kind of faith cannot happen without the Holy Spirit. It takes learning and our minds being renewed to the things of God. That is the work of the Spirit as we move from Glory to Glory.

Without God calling us first by His Spirit we cannot even know Him, even salvation is the work of the Spirit.

No miracle can happen without the will of God regardless (actually nothing can) but if Jesus wanted Peter to float forever he would. Jesus clearly said that Peter was sinking because he was doubting:

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; 30 but when he saw the wind,[b] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “O man of little faith, why did you doubt?

If Jesus wanted to let Peter walk it wouldn't matter if Peter was doubting or not, Jesus clearly can do anything. To say that it was from Jesus's power well everything is from God's power. All the miracles that happened after is the same too.

are you some sort of baptist

Jesus was on this earth 33 years and His ministry did not start till He was baptized in the Jordan. What kind of example does that set to us?

So just as the woman healed with the issue of blood Jesus said your faith has made you whole. But also Jesus in His home town could not do one miracle. Because they had no faith in Him. So yes faith does play a role, but do you think that is the only thing required?

Act 1:8  but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." 

I am the flower of the field and the lily of the valleys. I am the mother of lair love and of fear and of knowledge and of holy hope. . . . I am the mediator of the elements, making one to agree witli another; that which is warm I make cold and the reverse, and that which is dry I make moist and the reverse, and that which is hard I soften. . . . I am the law in the priest and the word in the prophet and the counsel in the wise. I will kill and I will make to live and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

What changed men from those that would deny Christ to ones who would die for Christ?

It was and is today the same, its the Holy Spirit, Just as Jesus said do not worry about what you are to say

Luk 12:11  "When they bring you before the synagogues and the rulers and the authorities, do not worry about how or what you are to speak in your defense, or what you are to say; 
Luk 12:12  for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." 

Faith will get you to act, the Spirit will perform the miracle with power. So your faith connects to the Power of the Spirit.

It takes faith to listen and do the things of the spirit. Just like love, you can love someone but until you show your love in caring or acts its not love. Its a thought.

Attached: stop.jpg (800x400, 22.09K)

I am a man who knows my God and has seen many miracles at my and others hands that He has done. I am gratefull to God for His mercy and love and He has brought me through some very hard situations. But in these I know that He can and will deliver me. I know He will do this for anyone that will spend time with Him and get to know Him.

oh 14:12  "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father

Joh 14:15  "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 
Joh 14:16  "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 
Joh 14:17  that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you. 
Joh 14:18  "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 

Either God is who and what He says He is and we have what He tells us we have or we dont. That is faith to step out and believe, but that is power that steps forward to meet our faith and make the words come true.

My word goes out and does not come back void and He is not a man that He should lie. Take the step, get all God has for you and love Him with all your heart.

mother of lair love, really? Its not in any bible I have ever seen.

Deception is using real sounding words to nonsense so the elect will be deceived. There is only one I know who uses this type of deception and he is the father of all lies, in him there is no truth.

Why did God walk with Adam and Eve in the garden?

What was the reason that Jesus had to die on the cross.

Both are because God WANTS a relationship with us, His creation. He says come as little children and why. He the creator of the universe does not need anything we have except the desire to love Him. He has all knowledge, why is Jesus the Good Shepard? Because we are sheep, dirt,dust, God does not paint a pretty picture of mans intelligence. Mans knowledge is earthly carnal and sometimes demonic.

The quest for knowledge is what separated Adam and Eve in the garden, do you really think that is how God wants us to come to Him. Yet God says my people are destroyed by lack of knowledge. 2 verses seemingly contradicting each other. But its the things of God that God wants us to know. We are His children, we have power over the enemy but unless we know how to use it we fail. Its this search, this journey that is a process of renewing our minds to the things of God not the world that brings us closer to Him and allows us to live a successful life.For we cannot comprehend Gods greatness in our lives. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us. We are created in Gods image and can even make life something no angel can do. We are truly blessed we just dont know how much.

He's God. What's this "what" business?!?! He's a "Who" not a "What"!!

He's the Spirit of God. The "comforter". Who has previously descended on believers like a flame or a dove. He's GOD. There is not "What is He" question that is remotely applicable. He's outside time and space, outside creation, infinite and indivisible.

Now you know what we know.

"What". Of all the shit …

Attached: the-Holy-Spirit-is-not-a-what-but-a-whom.png (440x476, 18.35K)

When we get to the end of ourselves and ask God for help is when we find Him. Not by knowledge or religion. He is always there, He hears, he helps, a prayer can be as simple as help.

IF you are going through a hard time, or if you need His help or want to know Him, just ask help me God I want to know you and be expecting help. To ask is faith, its time when we come to the end of ourselves and He steps in. Bless anyone who reads this and God hear them in their cry and show yourself strong in their lives.

Yes God is all that yet personal. If you think that God is to big to associate with people then you will never have the joy and love of a personal relationship with Him. He is big, but He is involved with the everyday life of His children being a good Father, one that we cry out ABBA Father.

yeah, that post wasn't a full treatise on the characteristics of God, just a slap-down on OP's "What" question.

Thank you for the explanation.

The teaching on the Holy Spirit and His role in our lives is not really taught in Churches and in fact they go the other way in the teaching of Spiritual gifts and the Holy Spirit. If the question is asked it is done because the Spirit is working on his heart to find out more. The Spirit wants to reveal Himself to him so as to make him wish to go deeper into a relationship with God. Its our desire that brings us closer to God.

The question I asked one day in the middle of my problems is who is this God that I have always heard about? He answered and has been with me every step of the way and for that I am grateful.

A person is a "what".

You must have missed this: newadvent.org/summa/1037.htm

I read a few lines of the newadvent, its interesting that words fail to describe God. One thing is God IS love, Its something that in His presence you feel and radiates from Him. Just like all the NDE experiences in His presence try to describe the experience all fail. Humans cannot describe the Glory or vision they have of God, since there is nothing to compare or relate to, for a comparison. When you are in His presence the acceptance and love, compassion, safety, peace joy you feel is not something this world has to offer. This experience of God usually does not come without spending sometime with Him. Since I doubt we as humans have the ability to take it all in until we change a bit. You see its our experiences that give us the ability to relate to the world. But if none of your experiences are this joyful or loving we are left with an experience that makes an impression but sometimes cannot experience all the depth of it. In the movie Robots with Will Smith the creator of the Robots was dead and all that was left was a hologram recording and unless you asked the right question you would not get be able to get the whole picture. We dont even know how to ask the right questions of God since we have no experience or learning to base or relate to allowing us to understand God or His love unless we personally experience it and grow. We change from glory to glory in the bible description.

This is the basis of the wrong understanding of the Holy Spirit in the initial post and the subsequent questions. A dollar to a child has no value, no worth, no application since they have never learned what money can do. That is why each persons relationship is different in the Lord. We all seek differently, for different needs, so we get different perspectives and experiences. God does not change the ability of humans to relate to and understand God does.

The bible says we do not even know how we should pray but the Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groaning and utterances that are to deep for words. The Holy Spirit is the one here on earth working to bring man into the presence and knowledge of God. He is the comforter, a person, the seal for the day of redemption and the one that walks with us and even helps us pray. God never left His children alone, thank God for the Holy Spirit, sometimes called the Spirit of Truth.

Holy Spirit is another name for God, he is God.
What are you confused about? Don't you know God?

He’s an invisible omnipresent being that convicts the hearts of sinners, strengthens believers and is the true author of the Bible.
Maybe someday we’ll know what he actually looks like (he can take form like at the baptism of Jesus) but for right now, you can sense him in moments of holiness and serenity, or even righteous anger.
what he is NOT is a female entity, and any argument saying he is can be debunked by anyone with a basic understanding of Biblical languages

You're clearly a materialist. It's very hard to reconcile that with Christianity. Why don't you explain how you've done it.

this is your mind on Filioque

How can there be so much divergeance concerning something so fundamental to the faith?

The name says it all. It's a spirit, that is Holy, from God. Either you have it, or you don't.

Attached: 14353be8d4bf8cbc7af1a180ea7b499da08ffe780cf9bf6bd8f94c4d3f96b0ed.jpg (1046x1007, 202.11K)

Read "On the Holy Spirit" by St. Basil.

He is God. The Third person of the Trinity. He is proceeding from the Father.
The confusion comes from his name. We have the Father and the Son, so clear concepts of person-hood can be applied. Yet Spirit or Ghost implies a vaguer "force". You mustn't fall into this trap. The Holy Spirit is fully a person as much as the Son is and as much as the Father is.

I always thought of it as the representation of our collective consciousness and not a singular being, or at least this is what I was told in my youth at church.

The whole love thing kinda makes sense in this regard since love is prevalent within us all. Today, I'm not to sure what it is. It kinda sounds like our equivalent of the black hole. Christians are not exactly sure what exactly is it, but they're pretty sure it's a thing.

Stating the essence of what it is doesn't subtract from its personhood. God the Father is the initial cause of everything logically proved by Aquinas. Jesus is the Logos, the divine ordering principle and logical set, as stated by John. But the Holy Spirit seems like an oddball here. The only question left to explain left to explain the fundamentals of our universe is consciousness. Initial states and logical cause and effect don't explain consciousness. If there was a subject part of God that was conscious experience itself that would explain why consciousness arises and in different degrees. It would simply be because some things have different degrees of the Holy Spirit dwelling in them. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any solid competing theories and googling the Holy Spirit only brings up autistic debates over whether it proceeds from the Father alone or from the Son too, rather than addressing what the Holy Spirit actually IS. I've seen this autism itt too in most of the sources provided. However, an user did bring up an interesting notion that the Holy Spirit is God's will. This excites me because it is simply a more complex way to state it is responsible for consciousness. From observing philosophical discussions I've noticed many claim consciousness arises from the spirit interacting with the body. Spirit being will is important, because as Paul states in Romans 9 human will is ultimately controlled by God's will. This means every human spirit proceeds from the Holy Spirit. So ultimately the Holy Spirit is the person of the trinity responsible for consciousness.

Attached: freewill.jpg (1041x1600, 392.35K)

Attached: image.jpg (500x867, 104.49K)

Thank you for that comic. It has put into perspective what I've been theorising about. WOuld you know what it means to do everything for the glory of god?

You have helped me to understand who He is and what his purpose is. I've been reading the bible I've been baptised a few times (I don't know where to go or what to do) I know it isn't like you must do this and this and this to be saved. it's so much more complicated than that I realise. How am I to start in todays busy world. I don't want to be saltless. I feel so close to the answer but I'm in the middle of the Pacific drowning so to speak. Can you help me Brothers and Sisters?

What kind of heretic church did you go to

Its amazing the religious can read the books on the saints but forget to read and research their bible on things like the Holy Spirit. If you rely on mans interpretation then you have missed the point.and missed the most important thing a personal relationship with God.

You treat God as if He is dead and talk at Him instead of talking to Him, One speaks of knowledge the other of faith. God is alive, active and His word is sharper than a two edged sword. Why not ask Him to reveal Himself to you and then you will understand who the Spirit actually is.

If God wanted anyone to teach His children how to have a relationship with Him He would have told us and God did.

Joh 14:26  "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 

Act_2:38  Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act_13:2  While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
Act_13:4  So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia and from there they sailed to Cyprus.
Act_13:9  But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him,
Act_15:28  "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
Act_20:23  except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me.
1Co_6:19  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
2Pe_1:21  for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Joh 3:11 "Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony.
Joh 3:12 "If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things?