Papal Primacy

St Boniface I here clearly preaches papal primacy. How do protestants and orthodox respond? EPistle XIII "Retro maioribus"

Attached: Capture.JPG (981x680, 156.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newadvent.org/cathen/02658a.htm
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can you give a translation? Otherwise I predict this thread won't go very far.

Here's my stab at a translation without knowing the context. The beginning of the first sentence not pictured is, "Ad Thessalos comminationis et correptionis…" I didn't try to translate the last sentence because I couldn't make out all of the words, but it looks like the author is asserting they were being civil in their letter.

So is Pope Francis the pope?

He wouldn't be alone. Popes have been claiming that their pastoral judgment is supreme since the 3rd century (see the whole debacle between Cyprian of Carthage (and Firmilian) and Pope Stephen), and that their doctrinal judgment is supreme, that the Church of Rome cannot fall into heresy, that they are Peter mystically acting in the present, and that every bishop derives his episcopacy from the Pope and every church should conform to the practices of Rome as a result, since Pope Leo the Great in the 5th century.
That doesn't mean it's how other churches saw it as well.

Yes. Anything else is private interpretation and judgment.

Are we talking about the Saint Boniface who died in 754? Why should we taking him for an authority in these matters?

Somehow this represents the apostolic position.

its a pre-schism and reformation position though

The schism didn't happen overnight, the tension was developing for a while.

Around the year 800 AD, the ideas the west and east had about Papal primacy already were divergent. After the schism both sides then exxagerated it making the division even stronger.

No, this is Pope St Boniface I (420~)

No, because at that time Thessalonika was part of the Patriarchate of Rome.

For many centuries Thessalonika has been the center of jurisdictional dispute between Rome and Constantinople. Only in 732 Emperor Leo decided definitely that Thessalonika will be under Constantinople.

The fact that such dispute existed for so long time (during which there have been several Ecumenical councils) means that the papal supremacy is a very late invention of Rome.

less seperate than luther ;)

It's better to rely on scripture than to rely on any fallible men, correct?

Stop this meme. You're all also fallible, which means your interpretations of the Bible are fallible. That's why you people spawned 1 gazzilion interpretations, something that Christ surely wanted, his faithful not being able to agree on basic principles of salvation because each sect interprets the Bible in its own way.

The Catholic Encyclopedia has an article on Pope Boniface, that would at least help establish some of the basic facts before throwing out false assertions, such as that this is from the 9th century. This is Pope St. Boniface I, who is from the time of St. Augustine.

And the part relevant to OP's quotation.

newadvent.org/cathen/02658a.htm

He that hath the son hath everlasting life.

God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life.

Want to know what's a meme? That the Bible is hard to understand.

If this was true, there would not be as many heretical groups as there are/have been.

Thank you, anons.

Tl;dr:
Such was life in the undivided Church.

Have you considered the possibility they just hadn’t read it?