Did Jesus have a sense of humor?

Serious discussion. I have many questions. It's such a broad topic I am only scraping the surface.

Did Jesus ever laugh? What does the bible have to say about humor?

I want to know because I want to be like Jesus, yet my life before Jesus was built on a somewhat flimsy foundation of humor. What part of humor can I salvage as I strive to become virtuous? What part of humor is an indulgence? Is laughter a gift from God?

I have had a difficult life. I probably don't have it the worst, but if I wasn't able to laugh at the absolute ludicrous situations, when life was at its worse, I may not have been able to endure. Tragedy can completely ruin one's life, right? Is it a virtue to be able to laugh at the divine sense of humor? From this angle, laughing becomes a sort of form of faith, an extreme relief
that everything will be okay.

Laughing is physically, scientifically good for you. It does all sorts of positive things in the brain, endorphins, pain relief, increased blood flow, and more. Laughing is a symptom of good health. (Ancient Greeks even derived medicine from what their so-called humor fluids)
Where does humor come from? It comes from the ridiculous. Ridicule. Ridicule is an illumination of the faults of an oblivious victim. Say they are too ugly and you are pretty. That's the start of something funny. Say they have misfortune. Say they are stupid and you are dumb. Poking fun is one of the most potent sources of humor. Is laughter a tool of the devil? Laughter has a way of lowering one's defenses. It seems to always be sub-par humor, thankfully, when compared to the genuine good humor stuff. Is laughter childish? Is trolling funny? Is laughing at the expense of others a sin? Is laughing in the face of misfortune a sin?

Please discuss.

Why does God give us this mechanism of laughter in each and every human?
Is it possible Jesus had a subtle humor that was lost in translation and colloquialisms?

Help define what the proper amount of humor is for a Christian.
Or has it already been defined?

Attached: trends.gif (1600x1200 402.96 KB, 979.98K)

We already have one autistic thread about it. Go away

Read the meta please.

Yes.

Pilate ask "what is truth?" while in front of Jesus, the truth himself
How is this not humor?

Humans have humor (generally speaking), and are made in His image. Seems logical to think that God has humor as well.

I think he did. For example when he was telling the disciples about yeast and they didn't understand, and he was like "wtf are u guys retarded or what". Or when he dried the fig tree just for the lulz.

Also.

Attached: dfc649c6d7e763262806615e7760f0aa.jpg (298x400, 24.93K)

Kids would have hated him if he didn't.

I think so but unfortunately humor like everything else these days has become twisted far too often. Cruel, vulgar "Rick & Morty" humor has become the norm. If humor comes from warmth and love then it is of God; if it comes from mockery and envy than it is of the enemy.

Humor is hidden agression.
Joy is good. Being a joker is nihilistic.

God doesn’t have a high enough iq to understand rick and morty

ya the fig tree thing was pretty funny. also "do i offend thee?" is basically "u mad bro?"

There were times when times Jesus was crying. But the gospels never said he was laughing.

I think there are only few types of humor which is not sinful: to laugh about the impotence of Satan, to laugh about the stupidity of your own vainglory and pride, to laugh about the misfortunes you have had as result of your sins, to make a joke in order to calm the infuriated or to cheer up the hard-pressed.

Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep! (Luke 6:25)

Attached: 2706-15e5293ab1566cf45d51ea54b76042ea.jpg (500x375, 29.46K)

I believe so. People have to remember that besides being God and his Apostles, they were a bunch of men roaming around the countryside.
I am sure that there were hilarious situations that just didn't make it into the Gospels.

Attached: 39746066_1929810643724404_1386723688656666624_n.jpg (640x640, 65.74K)

We will be rewarded with the smile of Christ in the New Earth, I believe.

The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them (Psalm 2:4)

What comes of the top of my head is the fasting passage. "Truly I say to you they have recieved their reward", since the men only fasted to be seen. Pretty funny and still makes me lol

It would matter on the context and how the jokes are made, if they are main meanly to try and upset someone then obviously, but I don't see how friendly banter between two people about their own shortcomings could be considered sinful.

That's a bretty dark one lol

haha i didn't actually notice that, good one

I thought Peter sinking the moment he doubted like some cartoon character was pretty funny.

But yes, I think Jesus has a sense of humor. the world would have been destroyed already, if he didn’t find all of our stupid attempts to find happiness outside of him funny.

He cried a lot, that's for sure. I assume he was friendly, but I don't think he made jokes like we tend to do in everyday life. That's more of a nihilistic urge; to just laugh at the world and find comfort in making fun of it.

I remember Bishop Barron saying something akin to Jesus saying that Peter the rock of the church also being a pun with his name and the fact he was very rigid, kinda a nickname like "rocky" in a way

From the sayings of the desert fathers:

A hermit saw someone laughing and said to him, "We have to render an account of our whole life before heaven and earth, and you can laugh?"

The hermit was way ahead of them.

There's a time to weep and a time to laugh. Sometimes you do both at the same time.

Attached: Tidus's laugh.webm (480x360, 628.48K)

Of course.

Yeah my favorite jokes from Him are these:

And here’s another

He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?”

They stood still, their faces downcast. One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?”

“What things?” he asked.

“About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.”

He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.

As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther. But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them.

When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?”

Yeah the Bible isnt a joke book

How is this not a joke? Seems to me like he was being funny, vexatious even. Jesus and the disciples know that the tree won't move, those are the facts of nature. By saying that faith moves mountains and trees, it is both a poignant metaphor about the power of faith, and also a joke on the disciples.

Ah, you must be a boomer from Germany

Bishop Robert Barron? He is le nice guy pseud.

reminds me of the novel In The Name of the Rose

t. Guy who has no faith

There are saints who have literally moved mountains by faith and prayer. God is the lord over the laws of nature

No there's not
Which is why it is funny, you idiot. It is a saying that connotes two realities:
1) (You) will always have very little faith, even the saints have less faith than the size of a mustard seed in fact.
2) Even a little bit of faith is very powerful, because a mustard seed is small.

Attached: HelpingtheRetarded.jpg (409x600, 87.79K)

Does this petty little matter necessitate such a remark?

Gregory Thaumaturgus and Coptic Pope Abraham want a word with you

Ok, I'll grant you two unsubstantiated mountain relocations. I don't doubt that they were holy men, I just bear in mind that things get mythologized in the long span of time.

Very well, you're quite right, although I didn't say it with much vitriol. Let's just say I'm sensitive about faith because I'm so new to it, and I'm Anglican so my Church makes me feel like an apostate although I haven't even really begun.

If you are new to the faith you can start by not calling people who have a faith as a mustard idiots and calling fulfilment of Christ's words myth.

If you have faith in God and believe in miracles there is no reason to doubt that holy men have performed the miracles that Christ promised they would as the Church believes. Also if the Anglican Church thinks you are an apostate that is a good sign, considering it is the congregation for apostates. I say that as an ex Anglican.

One good instance of Christ's humour is when he calls John and James the sons of thunder for their rash zeal in wanting to call down thunder to smite the Samaritans.

May I ask, which denom are you now? I assume you've either Begome Cadolig or Orthodogs, but any particular reason why one and not the other?

Also I thought the whole thing about the mustard seed was about faith being small, that nobody has faith greater than a mustard seed, but it is enough. Got any apologetic about this? (If you don't care to answer this question, this is the secondary one, still more interested in arguments for Begoming)

The ingenuity of the mustard seed parable is that it is a tiny seed, but grows into a huge tree. Christ's point is that it is the small simple humble faiths like those of children that grow into something huge. God loves the faith of children and the humble and he perfects praise fr their lips. Only the faith of an innocent child would trust in God and ask him to move a mountain and it is this that God loves and obliges.

I was brought up low church Anglican, became atheist, became a prot again, toured all the denominations seeking the truth, was hanging around a high Anglican parish because they had a somewhat decent liturgy and choir and organ. Discovered that half the parishoners were thinking of converting to Eastern Christianity. One of whom told me about apostolic succession and how the Church exists with the valid bishops as St Ignatius ofAntioch taught. It blew my mind and I instantly knew I had to become Eastern or Roman, because Anglicans do not have valid orders (which is admitted in article xxv of the book of common prayer. Which denies the sacrament of ordination and the sacrificial priesthood which s necessary for valid intention in ordination). Decide to go Catholic by intuition, get told to reconsider by the parishers at the Anglican church. Decide to go Eastern and I attended divine liturgy. Read Eastern orthodox bible particularly the apologetics of East vs Rome. Apologetics boil everything down to one crucial theological dispute: is the Pope's role a purely administrative and man appointed role as the Easterns claimed or was it divinely appointed as the Romans claimed. Read Matthew 16:18 You are Peter and on this rock I will build my church the gates of hell will not prevail against it. I give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven, what you bind and loose on earth will be bound and loosed in heaven. Also Christ's threefold command to Peter to rule and feed his sheep, and to confirm your brethren. And that was all that was needed to convince me that the Pope was divinely appointed not just an administrative leader as the East claim, so I begame Roman Catholic.

I love the eastern churches and I pray for unity in visibility not just the Eucharist. I wish they would behave like the SSPX behave in relation to Rome, to maintain unity and not schism but not affirm to any heresy or immorality coming from the Popes, cardinals or Bishops. Ultimately we know that even when the ruling priests are corrupt, they are still the priests and cannot be schismed from. Just like Christ told his disciples to hold fast to the Pharisees as the occupied the seat of moses but not to partake in their hypocrisies.

Meant to intend for you

(Checked)
Thanks for that, a much more pleasing idea I suppose than that it was merely a joke, but I still imagine that the saying was accompanied with some amount of mirth. I'll think about it more.

Also I need some help, and since I've made it as far as High-Anglican, taken Anglican communion, and so on, I still have some unresolved issues.

Now I've been a Christian properly speaking for perhaps no more than a year, and I do feel happier. The world is a much better place, but I still can't shake the feeling that I need to be absolved, even though I've read books like "Unseen Warfare" which say that when you sin, just get up, dust yourself off, and start battling the devil all over again, no matter how many times you fail. That works moderately well, and I feel better having confessed my sins to God, and I have sinned less, but I want to put my past failings behind me definitively. I don't think it's about having someone with apostolic authority wave his magic crosier and eliminate my sins per se, it's more about just wanting rid of them if that makes any sense. I'm frustrated not so much by who has the power to forgive, I just want to divulge them.

Bear in mind that though I'm no longer opposed to Catholicism, it also does weigh upon me that my parents are lapsed Anglicans who definitely do not appreciate the RCC, and I still am financially reliant upon them. What do?

Attached: 1523401778292.jpg (715x800, 97.01K)

I don't doubt that there was humour involved too. The thing with God and scripture is that he uses types all the time (a type is a thing that actually existed that is also symbolic of something else), so when God talks about something in scripture it is usually something real and true and also has a symbolic meaning. Any humour Christ would have used would have also described something real and true.

Aye I know that feeling over the burden of unabsolved sin weighing on the soul, especially mortal sin. The thing is Christ specifically instituted the sacrament of penance and gave that authority to the apostles "whose sins you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whose sins you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven". He gave us the sacrament because he knows we need and desire it. The confessional is a court of judgement where you confess your crimes to God and his visible representative on earth judges you and assigns your sentence (or penance) and absolves you of all your sins by the blood of Christ. Like you as a high Anglican I knew I needed absolution before I even discovered Catholicism and when I discovered confession I craved it so much because it is the spiritual lifeline to cleanse sin from the soul. It was agonising having to wait a year before I could confess and after the grueling 40 minutes of my first confession, the weight of all those sins were lifted and the elation, peace and joy were immense. There really is no other way to get rid of the horrific burden of sin, confession is necessary.

The confessional is a court where you condemn yourself before God and his representative, and it appeals to our innate sense of honour, justice and dignity and humility before God, which I'm sure you understand is why you intuitively know you need to divulge your sins. And when we admit to God we have sinned and deserve death and hell, God looses those bonds of justice and grants us mercy in the absolution.

Are you 18 yet? If so I recommend moving out and being financially independent. It is difficult indeed to practice the faith if ones parents are opposed and restrict you from doing so. If you are under 18, obey your parents as long as it does not contravene faith and morals but there should not be really any impediments to exploring the faith if you are prudent in the face of hostility. I highly recommend going to your nearest SSPX, ICRSS or FSSP parish (in that order of preference) and talking to a priest there about your situation as they are in the best position to guide and help you.

Of course by grace you may be even able to convert them. My parents were also Anglicans who I persuaded to convert with me.

God bless, you'll be in my prayers

Ahh, I would give anything to make them return to Anglicanism. I feel as though they need a reawakening to faith.

I'm 25, but sadly I haven't managed to get out of university.

Really what I want is for the gospel to be fulfilled, and what I mean by that is that God has promised that no sin shall remain covered forever. And I would love to spill the beans, and I don't care so much as to whom I do.

The whole world thinks of its "reputation" which means to me that in reality that we collectively drag around that which condemns us with a guilty heart because we're ashamed.

Anyways, Pax Christi tecum and God bless

You are correct, everyone's secrets and sins will be revealed to all in the general judgment hence as you say for people to think they can bury and hide them for ever is delusional vanity.

Of course one must be prudent whom one confesses to. A confession will ultimately be empty without sacramental absolution and good orthodox guidance on how to sin no more and excel in virtue. If you don't mind who you confess to, you might as well go to the best person who can hear it: an old rite priest, who with the seal of confession will die before divulging what you would tell him and would by grace forget what you even confessed.

Re. Your parents, the best thing I have found to get people interested in Christianity is to show them the beauty of the traditional liturgy especially the music which the Anglican tradition has in abundance. Actually I highly recommend you and your parents visit an Anglican ordinariate parish (Anglican use Catholicism). If you're in UK, they have the ordinariate in Oxford and Walsingham.

Make the most of University while you're there. Go to all your professors office hours and just network and chat with them. Try and seek job opportunities through them.

Thanks, I was hoping I could find a way to confess without such lengthy procedure. Anglicanism is like an old garage-couch compared to the Roman or Byzantine thrones, but it's home.

Unfortunately they are off the beaten track, but they do tune in to Christmas Day mass in St Paul's on the BBC. And I have talked about my changing views on life, sometimes better than others. They were more interested in the political side of things and I don't tell them I go to church.

This summer was certainly interesting though; they are quite socially liberal, so when we got to discussing gender roles and why all of modern liberal history is nothing more than a flight from obligations, cemented by – and I'm using the parentheses facetiously – (((Secular Biblical Criticism))) and other myths. They were left wondering where all the Catholic morality came from. Oh, and a turnaround on pro-choice, that really took them aback, and while I conceded the absolutist point, I still stood my ground at "if it's just about economic loss, what's the difference from prostitution?"

Re the professors; well I do chat with them and I'll be getting published (with luck) soon. My PT is suggesting I become an academic, although God knows how that will work.

If you find an old rite priest the conversion process is much quicker. It's the novus ordo who like to clinicalise and lengthen the process to deter people, whereas the traditional process is several one on one sessions with a priest until he thinks you understand the faith enough to confess and receive confirmation. It would probably only take a couple of months.

You're doing good work on your parents. Don't be afraid to be a witness to the truth as you are doing.

You're in a very good position to be in university. Take your profs advice and try to pursue an academic career especially if he can get you a job or PhD. Don't think the grass is greener, the job market is dogshit right now. Academia is very cushty. It's imperative to secure job prospects right now because if you leave uni without it you'll be in no mans land unemployed.

Do you have an old rite parish in your city?

No idea, but I'll look it up

I have to get back to my studies though. I'm a bit of an autist so when something's bugging me I find it difficult to work. My only concern with my parents is really to make sure they don't confuse my decisions with my ex somehow influencing me from afar. She was Catholic, although very liberal, and it's so easy to fall into the fallacy of thinking that the origins of an argument discredit it; I won't be giving anyone such an opportunity. Although she warmed me up to it I guess in taking me to church I wasn't that impressed with it, it would be fairer to say that it has gotten more comely with time. My real influences apart from the Bible are de Maistre, CS Lewis, Nietzsche, Julius Evola, Peter Hitchens, JBP and Miguel de Cervantes, and the thing that really pushed me was the arrogance of atheists, which I even discerned in myself, so I decided to run as a sane person fleeing insanity.

Have you seen giraffes bro?

Novus ordo and liberals indeed present a very unimpressive and corrupt view of Catholicism, with some of the worst hypocrisies like often being fornicators and contraceptors. The difference between novus ordo and the old rite is night and day

You should do some military service, user.

I appreciate the thought as someone who believes very much so that Christ was a warrior, and understands the athletic imagery of the NT in reference to the Passion. Nevertheless, I won't die to keep in place a fundamentally corrupt world order. I see that our benevolent leaders have stumbled over that great stumbling block of Sion, so they're on their own.

Nevertheless, I do need to be more fit than I currently am. I've decided to give up alcohol for Advent for instance.

Attached: Blank _aa88cc2c56eec233719d0c3c94d20bb4.jpg (1000x682, 65.03K)

lol