Memes aside, what does this verse really implies/means ?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword."
-Matthew 10:34 (KJV)

Attached: Master.png (1797x1070, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=e9z-dMQjRBE
traditioninaction.org/religious/f033_Lily.htm
orthodoxartsjournal.org/judge-victim-two-images-christ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"The sword Jesus brings is not here military conflict, but, as vv. 35–36 show, a sharp social division which even severs the closest family ties. … Jesus speaks here, as in the preceding and following verses, more of a division in men’s personal response to him." R T France

Why would Jesus specifically say a dagger, what is the significance of this?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 4.57.45 PM.png (260x196, 31.44K)

I think the verses surrounding it paint a pretty full picture
It's saying basically "don't hide your faith in Jesus, be open about it. But beware the world which hates Jesus, for even in your own family people will reject Christ and want to kill you. There will be no world peace due to the strife caused by the gospel."
I think of the Jewish character Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof (a show acclaimed and praised by the world), who forgives his first two daughters for disobeying him but disowns his third for marrying a Christian, as it is a line he will not cross. I think of all the times that converted Christians are martyred by their Muslim family. Job's unwavering faith in God causes him to be insulted and mocked by his wife, who birthed his seven children. Jesus was not safe in his own hometown, and no servant is greater than his master, so we should expect familial ties to sever over the gospel.

The sword is His words. This is confirmed in numerous places in the Bible. Can't be bothered to look up the passages now, but for one example Revelations has the image of a sword issuing forth from His mouth.

So, just like how Jim Caviezel says that we have show our Christianity in the open and be warriors of the Christ in this (((Pagan))) world ?
From 8:40 and following
hooktube.com/watch?v=e9z-dMQjRBE

Attached: ChristIsWatchingYou.png (1000x674, 690.97K)

Very interesting observation. I want to look deeper into this.

Luke 22:36-38 (AKJV)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1041x996, 312.27K)

Jesus did not come to let concord exist between good and evil, but to purify the world from evil with a purifying fire.

Attached: sssss.jpg (412x429 164.98 KB, 164.98K)

That must be more hurtful that cruxification.

A makhaira is literally a sword. And it’s not always short.

Ah okay, but what is the meaning of sword? It could be taken to mean either his words or battle since he speaks scathing truths in the gospels and leads an army to battle in Revelation.

Explain the symbolism of the lilies. Does it have anything to do with the “Odor of sanctity”?

Meaning that He brings the gospel for eternal salvation. Naturally, this will be rejected by many, including those most close to you. Hence, he will not bring peace, but a sword that will divide.

It implies quite few things that are closely related.
First there is an absolute Truth. It is Christ. SInce there is an absolute truth, universalism cannot and will never work. Christ cannot be a savior and not be a savior at the same time. Therefore we should not expect there will be unification of religions, that is obvious
Second since there is Truth, there will be a clash between those who stand for truth and those who stand for lies. Even to a point of a family being in a divide.
Third it implies that ecumenism has little purpose, since there can hardly be a reconciliation between opposing views without one side coming to the other.
There can be tolerance of course though..

Wat

Surely the sword comes out the other way

Is this what inquisition era monks did to avoid being like Jews and Muslims?

It's the recurring pattern of salvation at His right, condemnation to His left.
Right hand elevated, left hand lowered, right lilies, left sword.
Or in pic related, left side of the face pleasant, right side of the face stern.
Examples in the bible:
-At the crucifixion the good thief being on His right and the bad one at His left.
-When two brothers ask to sit beside Christ, one at the left and other at the right and Christ says he cant let them do that because of what it represents.

traditioninaction.org/religious/f033_Lily.htm

Attached: Jesus_Pantocrator_of_Sinai._grande.jpg (350x567, 46.71K)

mistake, meant to say: right side of the face pleasant, left side of the face stern.

It means He didnt come to be nice and appease. He came to stir things up, to show the truth, to fight sin, to be confrontational, unapologetic. If you are a sinner you are given forgiveness not acceptance.
Like when you scold a friend who is following a bad path. Harshness out of love.

Our current mainstream culture has it wrong, it tells to accept sin, they are just 'different', criticize not, there is no hierarchy of values.
The Christian way would be to forgive the sinners but be unapologetic about criticizing the sin.
Be sure to see the sin in ourselves too though. I fail in this constantly..

Attached: jesus judgment.jpg (190x567, 108.95K)

Seems you might have your answers by now, OP

you're aware the Pantocrator is meant to be a portrait of the Hypostatic union, the unified nature of Christ: God and man. It has nothing to do with him being both pleasant and stern.

No, it's both.
orthodoxartsjournal.org/judge-victim-two-images-christ/

Thanks, i didnt know that.
But there can also be more than one layer of meaning and symbology like we see in the biblical texts, as article mentions

Attached: Jesus redeem.jpg (159x567, 78.99K)

I mean he literally, and I mean literally says what it means in the next verse. Do you just read the bible from a random verse generator or something?

Not Peace, but a Sword
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man’s foes will be those of his own household. 37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

I mean…what more of an explanation do you want.

Attached: choirs-of-angels.jpg (1024x576, 206.73K)