New believer here, I'm finally about to buy a Bible for myself and start studying

New believer here, I'm finally about to buy a Bible for myself and start studying.
What's the best version of the Bible to get, and why?

Attached: apu jesus.jpg (618x741, 75.48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

chick.com/ask/articles/nkjv.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NASB

steer clear of catholic translations

Attached: versions.jpeg (781x444, 59.08K)

The KJV is beautifully written, but I prefer the biblical text that was written closest to their original authors, that's why I would choose ESV.

Memes aside, you should read what Josephus said what happened between the end of Alexander the great's rein to the influence of Roma in Israel, so you can a more complete picture of the gospels.

Attached: faithgoldy.JPG (1356x714, 62.2K)

My first bible was RSV. I learned a lot from it. You should study different versions, however, to get a greater picture. No one version of the Bible is perfect for everyone. is a great chart.

After going through many Bibles I can confidently say the NAB and Interlinear are the best.

If you can handle the KJV and you're going to be around here for a while get one. Someone is going to have problems with whatever Bible you choose, but at least if you have a KJV crazy people won't tell you that you never actually read the Bible. It's also pretty important in the development of how we talk about the Bible, how verses are usually quoted, etc.

OSB is an utter meme that only larpers use because it's the only english translation that is explicilty "orthodox".

The notes aren't too relevant to an Ortho who has been catechized, but the Old Testament translation has its own merits, at least for it's existence if not it's quality, as a Septuagint based translation made to go along with an NKJV New Testament

KJV user. Most of the newer translations omit some words and phrases that changes meaning of the verses. But if the language hinders your understanding of God's Words , then I guess it's fine to start with the newer ones then go back to KJV once you start to get the overall picture and context

Attached: Different Translations in the BIble.png (6144x2328, 1.66M)

Pro or anti KJV this meme is bad

Between the KJV, ESV, and NAB, which is the best?

Got the NAB Saint Joseph Edition, did I do good?

Actually decided upon just getting the KJV and the Apocrypha

I like it because it ties the prophesies and explains symbolism of certain things that don't seem obvious to me, plus I like to have information drilled into my head.

Plus it comes with an English translation of the Septuagint

Kjv. Only read esv if you can't understand the 17th century English of the kjv. Just remember not to fall victim to kjv-onlyism

the KJV is 1769. That's the end of the 18th century, same language as the US constitution

Is it? Wikipedia says 1611

It was updated. The KJV everyone owns and reads from is 1769
also on wikipedia

Oh interesting
Thanks for clearing that up user

The Passion Translation (TPT)

Avoid The Message, the NRSV and the NIV.
RSV with apocrypha is good and has the Orthodox canon. NKJV is good for both OT and NT. OSB has the Greek canon. And the Catholics in America officially uses the NABRE. Catholics in the UK use the Jerusalem Bible.

My first Bible was KJV. I'd suggesting that for the poetry and writing style, NKJV for better source material. It really doesn't matter too much which Bible you'll get first, since you're going to read and reread it over again and you can pick different versions each time.

How does NKJV have better source material than KJV? It still uses the Textus Receptus right?

I have no clue. I just prefer reading the NKJV over the KJV because English isn't my first language and the thees and thous get annoying. I did hear that the NKJV fixed some of the mistranslations in the KJV, though, and I'll note that the NT of the OSB is just the NKJV.
For an example of a mistranslation, see 1 Corinthians 1:18. KJV:
NKJV:
The NKJV is the one that uses the corrent tense. I'm annoyed because the "are saved" crept into the Louis Ségond Bible in French and as such it makes Protestants confident in their ideas of what salvation is and when it happens.

My favorite Bible is the Traduction Oecuménique de la Bible, in French. I don't read the Bible in English a lot.

Oh, okay. I read NKJV mostly so I thought maybe I missed something. Do you know where I could find a list of the differences between KJV and NKJV, by chance?

I'm sorry, I don't know. You might find something on Google, like this: chick.com/ask/articles/nkjv.asp

RSV is a good start.

RSVCE

Just avoid the NIV and KJV

Protestants: ESV

Catholics: RSV

Fundamentalist Baptists: Kang Jim Only

Larpers: Douay-Rheims

Jews: JPS and Artscroll Tanach

A modernized KJV for easier reading.
RSV for best modern commercial version.
ASV for most literalism.

NIV, Jerusalem Bible, NRSV, Knox, NABRE are less ideal.

One wouldn't ask for Harry Potter or Tolkien to be dynamized would they?

You mean RSVCE, the RSV is a Protty translation.
Only Orthodogs Larp. Douay-Rheims is one of the oldest in use translations and has been in use by the church for a long time. Nothing wrong with it, and the language is a lot more poetic than modern translations. Nothing larpy about it.

I agree the ESV is pretty good for Protestants, but they could just as well go for the RSVCE :)

Also she's a cat, why does she have an orthodog bible? Hmm

The Catholic Edition is still a Protestant translation with a few edits.
I do agree that having apocrypha to go with it is ideal.

No she's not a cat she's a whore.

Buy Orthodox Study Bible and begome :D

Attached: 0fc7df2be5c33eeca17b09b81a8b7fe2e7dda3a2263ee5cb5e69901884d59a9b.jpg (3000x4000, 735.43K)

This or a KJV (but preferably the above).

She's still Greek, and I think has some Eastern sensibilities.

Numerology is divination, brother. What do you think we are, Kabbalists?

God bless you, new brother :)
Go ahead and grab whatever version your church is using. Due to the English Bible being a translation, there is no "perfect" version. Translation is not a perfect science, and has to make trade-offs. To that end, there are three translation philosophies used by various Bible versions: word-for-word, thought-for-thought, paraphrase. Eventually you will want at least 1 translation from each category, so that you can gain the most insight into key verses during in-depth Bible study. For long, narrative passages, it's probably best to use a thought-for-thought translation. Good luck :)

Attached: cross2.jpg (1350x900, 104.16K)

Yes and no - Hebrew letters are also numbers, so by definition and implicitly OT exegesis always implies a numerological aspect as well.

ESV. Modern language but doesn't detract too much from KJV's more poetic sounding approach. Also very conservative translation - as in very close to the original languages.

Christ yourself.

You absolute tigger, the King James is universally regarded as "great literature, not quite accurate". It's even based on an inaccurate translation.

Hello, where is the proofs? :DDD

That type of halo is reserved for Christ. please delete that picture.

But why would a translation to anything that is not Hebrew be expected or desired to also hold numerologic significance?

KJV isn't based on any translation. It IS the translation. The underlying Masoretic Hebrew however has faults.. but that's 99.9% of Bibles out there. Only very few weigh the witness of others correctly. As for the NT, it uses the Textus Receptus, which is very close to the Greek Majority/Ecclesiastical texts. It's closer to those than the Alexandrian copies which many modern Bible versions use and which delete whole passages (NIV, NASB, ESV, etc).

Not even the Hebrew holds much weight on a numerological front. It's been tampered with. It reads unlike the OT the Apostles themselves quoted and also differs from the DSS. It's made 10 CENTURIES after the Church and has passages that are intentionally meant to boost Jews and destroy prophecies of Christ. Besides all that, numerology is Kabbalah hocus pocus and the only Christians who would do it aren't actually worshippers of Jesus, but worshippers of Jews.

RSVCE

NABRE is good too. If you aren't catholic, then the KJV and ESV.

My dream would be something that reads like the NABRE, but without the skeptic notes and some traditional passages restored (big ones like Isaiah 7:14, for example. Why a Catholic translation renders it like some gay episocopal would is beyond me).

I’m Ortho but I think the OSB is just ok, not great by any means. IMO, if you want to read the Septuagint in King Jamesese, Brenton’s translation is pretty good and easily available, athough iirc it was translated from a text that was slightly different from the one used by the Greek Church. Since you’re a baby Christian, however, I suggest a KJV or a RSV with Apocrypha. No matter what you get, make sure you READ IT! And of course, ask your pastor/priest and the Holy Spirit for help in understanding it.

God bless you!

Attached: 12C80EF6-BBE2-4909-A800-B751455EDEFB.jpeg (236x350, 27.26K)

I have to be honest at this point … reading any Bible is better than reading no Bible.

The Joseph Smith Translation.