Do you go to hell if you don't get baptized?

Do you go to hell if you don't get baptized?

Attached: help helper pillow.jpg (821x869, 87.57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pravmir.com/do-infants-go-to-hell-if-they-die-before-baptism-the-doctrine-of-original-sin-re-examined/
academia.edu/5113828/_Chrysostom_and_Augustine_on_the_Sin_of_Adam_and_its_Consequences_Interpretation_of_it_in_Contra_Julianum_Introduction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why do you ask?

I'm new to all this, I want to become Christian

You go to purgatory I think. Or is it limbo? There's also baptism by fire but I don't know the criteria for it.

baptism is an instruction to follow after salvation
baptism does not save
you do not go to hell for being unbaptized
the thief on the cross (dismas) was unbaptized

Yes unless you have a very convincing reason like
(Probably doesn't apply to you, though)

Go to church and the priest will set you b up

The only salvific baptism is by fire and the Holy Spirit, while the water is symbolic and the initiation into God's congregation

Do you mean baptized in terms of spiritually or physically. If you mean by the water thing it's just symbolic what matters is your heart, whether you believe Christ is your savior and died and resurrected 3 days later. Remember the thief on the cross, all he did was admit that Christ died for our sins and believe

Confess that you are a sinner, and accept the gift of God, who send Jesus Christ to die for your sins on the cross and was resurrected 3 days later

read your Bible friend read the NT to see how to get to heaven if you don't believe me

There are three forms of baptism.

Baptism by water - which is the normal version.

Baptism by blood, which is via martyrdom prior to getting the opportunity to be baptised.

Baptism by desire, which is what suggests with the thief on the cross. Which is where you would sincerely want to be baptised, but can't before you die. Both these latter two forms are irregular and probably wouldn't apply to you.

The fate of the virtuous men who never had the opportunity to hear about Christianity and thus be baptised is disputed. Some say they have a chance at salvation, others deny that possibility, still others suggest a form of Limbo (see Dante for a literary example of that).

The fate of those who deliberately decide not to get baptised after hearing the word of Christianity seems to be less amenable to dispute. Simply put, if you wish for salvation, being baptised is your best bet.

I’d get baptized just to be sure

absolutely not what I suggested
this is a mystic catholic invention to justify their works salvation theology, just like limbo and purgatory

Purgatory is where you go to be purged of vice before entering heaven. If you have committed venial sins, but not mortal sins you have to spend some time in purgatory before heaven so that you may be perfect.

Limbo is the outer portion of Hell. Unbaptized babies most likely go to limbo (also known as Abraham's Bosom) as they still bear original sin, yet they have no vice to contemplate/be tortured with. It is a natural paradise.

If OP still has original sin he can not enter heaven, and he can't enter limbo because Christ already went down into it to bring back the people from the old testament, and he can not be with out vice like a baby. So he can only go to Gehenna.

Start RCIA with real intention to be baptized, and as says, should you die before you can get baptized, you will most likely receive grace. Also maybe not, so you'd better start ASAP!

I can speak only for the Orthodox perspective: if you have known or know Christ and have not been baptized, it's likely you are going to hell. If you are a catecheuman (someone who is in the process of becoming a Christian, in the Orthodox tradition there is a quick rite performed and you are "officially" a catecheuman. In practice however, it can be understood as those who are just seeking it out.), if you die before you are confirmed fully (meaning baptism as well), you are given the full rites of burial as an Orthodox Christian. Of course, this requires you to be an "official" catecheuman. But, it's likely that if you were in the process of becoming a Christian, I don't think it will be held against you.

God saves whoever he wants, and God damns whoever he wants. I can only offer that as a more perfect answer.

if you believe then you are saved for sure

Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

And yet you speak like a true westerner….

100% yes. No one who isn't baptized goes to heaven. However there is baptism of blood (a Martyr) and a baptism of desire (possibly, if you reaaaly wanted to be baptized but couldn't before you died). As for whether a baby could be baptized by the baptism of desire, maybe, I think it's doubtful, but possibly. The thing that modern people don't get is that even for that to work, it doesn't mean every baby would go to heaven, only the ones whose parents would have definitely baptized them but were unable to. Majority of aborted babies or dead babies, the parents couldn't care less about baptism. So for those babies there is no way that they would get the baptism of desire really.

The thing people fail to understand is that if you're not baptized, while you go to "Hell" aka not in Heaven, you're only punished for the sins you commit. So a baby would be in a natural paradise, akin to the garden of Eden. The sad thing is most people assume this is what Heaven is, but Heaven is not this. It's a supernatural state, something which is ineffable and is 100% a free gift. No one can complain about not receiving a free gift that no one deserves. To think anyone is owed Heaven shows they don't understand what it is. If a person was really innocent like a child, they'll like an eternal life in paradise, although it being technically in Hell. They will experience no suffering or pain. God however chooses a few to dwell with him in Heaven, where we play an assortment of board games with him. Not everyone likes board games so not everyone is chosen.

But again to answer your question, no one unbaptized can enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Again not what I said

This question inevitably causes Catholics to contradict themselves, because their theology is dissonant

Attached: Screenshot_20181119-084425_01.png (1920x536, 130.09K)

Attached: ___.png (607x515, 610.15K)

To quote St. Chrysostom:
the souls of the just are in the hand of God,” … “so also are the souls of children, for they also are not wicked.”

pravmir.com/do-infants-go-to-hell-if-they-die-before-baptism-the-doctrine-of-original-sin-re-examined/

Unbaptized children don't go to hell.

Unbaptized children go to Hell. That is why St Paul calls the children of non-Chistian couples "impure" in 1 Corinthias 7:14.

It's referring to the need to pass down the Faith (and baptism) , and maintain the marriage even if one spouse is an unbeliever. Children are unclean (not 'impure') if are not raised in faith.

Read less of Augustine and more of St. John Chrysostom .

academia.edu/5113828/_Chrysostom_and_Augustine_on_the_Sin_of_Adam_and_its_Consequences_Interpretation_of_it_in_Contra_Julianum_Introduction

Attached: Sveti-Ioan-Zlatoust[1].jpg (623x380, 179.36K)

Mby do it anyway to make sure

*St. Augustine

No. Contrary to Catholic teaching, you will not go to hell if you're not baptized. However, to enter into Heaven you need a circumcision of the heart. The Holy Spirit will do that for you if you accept Christ as saviour.

Attached: CatholicIdolatry.jpg (541x720, 77.48K)

I haven't read Augustine yet. I'm getting this from my Orthodox catechism and what my priest taught me. Of course, that's without mentionning that St Augustine is in fact an Orthodox saint so I don't see what your point is.
Unbaptized children are "unclean" (however you want to translate it) because they carry original sin. Even if St John interprets it to mean that children are unclean if they are not raised in the faith, I do not see where the contradiction lies. Knowing that baptism removes original sin, there would seem to be a reconciliation between both interpretations rather.

And? The church fathers themselves to quote Augustine says some people are united by heart to the church. Know knowing the Catholic Church and still reject her or ignore her will lead you to hell certainly.
People who are ignorant of the church are in God's hands. There's the possibility they become members of the church at the moment of the death, but all we catholics can assume is that there is a possibility.