Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Attached: 1434332494216 copy.jpg (1026x548, 601.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r5cET6qlQEM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also don't know you guys do this, but a book thread I guess

About to finish up Fr. Seraphim Rose's "The Soul After Death". The toll house memes are exagerrated. It's only one of many things discussed in the book.

Attached: Brothers Karamazov.jpg (113x188, 11.24K)

I'm Orthodox and I'm just now really getting into Dostoevsky. I've read A Little Hero (highly recommend it) and now reading The Double. I also really liked the parts of The Divine Comedy I've read, obviously it's not all in line with Orthodox theology but it's a great read.

For more fantasy/youth oriented stuff I'd say maybe Tolkien for Catholics, Narnia for Protestants.

Matt Johnson did two talks on Dostoevsky a while back, I found it illuminating. youtube.com/watch?v=r5cET6qlQEM

But yeah Dostoevsky sums up the Orthodox spirit fairly well in his works. He doesn't go into theology really but I think it's good for an Orthodox (or any) Christian to read his books for spiritual reflection.

Dante is fairly well in line with Catholic thought I believe.

I haven't read Paradise Lost yet but people have recommended I read CS Lewis' preface to it beforehead. CS Lewis is probably my favorite fantasy writer so I'll have to check it out.

Everything written by Dostoevsky is good. Make sure to read reviews written by Orthodox people, because it goes over the head of fedoras.
Novel writing is so much more human than non-fiction. He even embodies that aspect of Orthodoxy.

The Divine Comedy is not catholic, it was even included in the Index Librorum Prohibitorum.

From what i read, only De Monarchia was banned (for obvious reasons). also (other then the fact i'm not Roman Catholic), i wouldn't put much stock in the index, considering the "Spirit Book" by Allen Kardek (a book literally about reincarnation and contacting Ghosts and Demons) was taken off of it.

le epic comic sans protestantism XDDD

Source?

The main objective of a catholic (and a christian in general) is to salve his soul. The Librorum is simply a guide of books that might stray your soul from the path of salvation. It's important to follow it even though it's no longer in use, especially for novices on the faith.

Oh, and yes, you're right, it looks like only De Monarchia is on the Librorum. Sorry for the mistake.

It's funny because Paradise Lost is more or less gnostic fanfiction.

Baptists

Attached: 6847F913-A63C-4FB6-B139-8B31CA6FE4AE.jpeg (320x240, 30.05K)

Attached: 6C418A77-7704-40B7-B661-3CEA74AD922B.jpeg (750x998 319.02 KB, 506.29K)

*fixed, since we’re talking about fiction books

Attached: 6FEA9FF1-EB6F-40BA-A131-78AB17435024.jpeg (310x475, 36.7K)

I'm sorry, but is Wikipedia your only source? Do you know where they got that information from? I tried searching for it and couldn't find anything about Kardec's book being removed from the Librorum. Not trying to disprove your claims, I just think we should look for more concrete sources.

I know this exact feel.

Attached: 1506828579183.png (633x758, 33.92K)

Protestantism should be Pilgrim's Progress.

Attached: 61QfGLLQscL._SX381_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (383x499, 64.03K)

That book brought me back to Christianity

Reformed Baptist

Attached: shop_thesoulwinner_01.jpg (207x273, 22.15K)

Reading the first books when Aslan talks about sin made me weep. As an atheist I found it deeply compelling but I was unable to believe in God, re-reading it years later was a bittersweet experience.

I found this from an online version of the book, which states either the book was banned for one year, or was banned in that year and never removed.

Attached: 0A477F43-C708-4702-92E9-0A0B00C20BD9.jpeg (750x906, 273.23K)