Supreme Court Rules Police Can No Longer Use Asset Forfeiture to Enrich Their Departments

archive.fo/zOliM
In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court ruled that the Constitution limits the ability of state and local police to seize and keep cash, property, and other assets that may have been used to commit crimes, particularly when it’s used to enrich police departments.

Written by Ruth Bader Ginsburg on her first day back at the court, the decision cites the Constitution’s ban on excessive fines to place limits on civil asset forfeiture—a practice in which states and localities confiscate cash, cars, houses, and other assets believed to have been used in crimes. The practice has been decried by civil liberties organizations for years; police departments often keep the revenue from such seizures, and these forfeitures occur throughout the country even when no one has been charged or convicted of a crime.

As NPR reports, “the ruling effectively means states and local municipalities cannot use fines as a mechanism for raising revenue, something many local governments do.”

Data shows that civil asset forfeiture disproportionately affects vulnerable communities, particularly black Americans and low-income neighborhoods. In a series of reports, The Greenville News chronicled their findings after spending years poring through data on civil asset forfeitures in South Carolina. The state pocketed $17 million from those seizures between 2014-2016, and 65 percent of those targeted were black men. In more than half of the instances when police took cash, the amount was less than $1,000: enough to push someone into financial hardship, but not enough to incur legal fees to reclaim.

In Alabama, the Southern Poverty Law Center found that civil asset forfeiture was practiced similarly, with police seizing assets worth less than the cost of the legal fees it would require to reclaim the cash or property. Under state law, someone trying to reclaim seized assets needs to go to civil court to prove their property is lawful—even if they haven’t been charged with a crime.

This article was reposted to ease the deletion of spam.

Attached: copy.png (773x423, 421.83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/gorhill/ublock/wiki
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode
ghacks.net/2019/02/15/integrate-nano-defender-with-ublock-origin-to-block-anti-adblocker/
filterlists.com/
github.com/collinbarrett/FilterLists
dailywoke.com/how-to-use-ublock-origin-to-block-all-ads-complete-guide/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is good news

Watch police continue to do it because your only recourse is expensive litigation.

Unfortunately this. It's how they operate. Would Americans be able to take the case to the FBI (or some other form of federal law enforcement)? Presumably breaking a Supreme Court ruling is the sort of thing they (are supposed to) care about.

Well shit that's actually good news for once.

80+ days
press still using old stock photos and old video

she is dead

Attached: 2s90tn.jpg (338x333, 60.21K)

It was a unanimous vote

all I need is one picture of her. why is that so hard?

No, police will continue to do it because >"what are you going to do?, arrest me?"

Feds won't do shit because they benefit from asset forfeiture as well.

So are they going to give back the stuff they nigged? The practice of stealing from people they can't charge or convict is a long-standing practice. In America, more is stolen this way than by non-gang-related theft.

My gf's piece-of-shit dog wants to know what the Supreme Court plans on doing about the bed & blanket eminent domain asset seizure actions perpetrated on him by my cat.

Attached: Eeyore_Takes_Over.jpg (3056x2560, 4.09M)

Wow Jerry Springer got old!

make the world a better place, kill a cop today.
just make sure you kill all the niggers first.

Busted for having a JewTube tab or window open at the same time you're surfing Zig Forums! Tsk Tsk. Can't see the actual uBlock settings you have set for the YouTube website, but am curious.

I bet you are! Datamine much?
Seriously though, I'm still getting my uBlock Origin settings set right for YouTube, and writing all the rules. Damn Google is all up in everyone's shit so much in so many ways that it's hard to interact with the world without interacting with them in some way; and learning how best to interact with them can be an eye-opening experience!
I already gave you the best, most specific guide, if you are interested..
github.com/gorhill/ublock/wiki
The specific pages related to blocking are here…
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

Also, this site might help the interested along their way…
ghacks.net/2019/02/15/integrate-nano-defender-with-ublock-origin-to-block-anti-adblocker/

You best be DAMN careful in here though!
filterlists.com/
or here…
github.com/collinbarrett/FilterLists
Filter lists are nice, if you have the right ones, but can be a nightmare if you don't! If you have your settings and rules done up right you won't need any extra lists besides those you can find in the previous links anyway. Don't go all hogwild and aluminum foil hat on us so bad that you make the entire internet unusable for you! lol
I promise you, you will learn a lot during this process. Don't get frustrated. A brand new internet awaits you just around the corner! You just have to walk through your fears and educate yourself..

Attached: d8ae124deae838f48ca1a46b22bea74d.jpg (210x240, 13.81K)

Always communists. They never share always steal.

Interesting that the mod does not want any REAL Info regarding how to protect oneself while browsing Zig Forums posted here.

To get rid of ALL YouTube ads easily, without an adblocker, just enter the follo9wing command into your terminal:

document.cookie="VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE=oKckVSqvaGw; path=/; domain=.youtube.com";window.location.reload();

Hell! If you REALLY hate YouTube and want to block it completely you can always add these into "My Rules" section on the uBlock Origin settings too!

* ggpht.com * block
* googlevideo.com * block
* youtube.com * block
* ytimg.com * block

But for sure, under the "My Rules" section on uBlock Origin you should add:

* facebook.net * block
* facebook.com * block
* fbcdn.net * block

etc., etc., for all the websites like Twatter and the like that you want to COMPLETELY Block. I prefer to block the actual elements myself; rather harshly too, then ease up on my restrictions if I absolutely have to in order to interact with whatever site I wish to interact with.

I'll just keep posting stuff about uBlock Origin the more it pisses the mod off, and the more of my posts he deletes. He's being a sniveling little shit right now and he knows it, so fuck him!
I have literally done nothing wrong.
dailywoke.com/how-to-use-ublock-origin-to-block-all-ads-complete-guide/
Not a very "complete guide" compared to github.com/gorhill/ublock/wiki but it may get you started. And getting started can be revolutionary!

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-08.44.45.png (1880x1304, 2.43M)

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
And it seems to have improved since you've gotten it through your thick skull not to use PicsArt.

Way to double down on your newfaggotry

Nobody gives a flying fuck what you delete or what you think or what you do.

You're powerless bitch. An effeminate, powerless, irrelevant bitch.

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-09.24.14.png (948x788, 1.08M)

I only do it so Johnny gets blamed for everything. I wish everybody would! [spoiler]and now that I know it gets your goat…[spoiler]

This is important to you, because it's the only place in the world that you somehow actually feel like you matter…

But you don't… You're like a mosquito.

You're an effeminate fruit fly….

My wife and I are actually watching my favorite TV show right now LIVE PD, and I'm barely paying attention to shitposting in here. I couldn't care less if my shitposts last for 30 seconds or 30 years

Any more than I care about the toilet paper that I wiped my ass with last week.

But my used toilet paper is very important to you

You have dedicated your life to flushing my toilet paper after I wipe, and somehow that makes you feel like you are important and powerful.

You're nothing more than a goddamn janitor, and now it's time for you to take my used toilet paper and flush it for me again.

I have access to tens of thousands of IP addresses, and I couldn't care less about your little power Trip, or your clinical depression, or your self-meditation with alcohol….

This place is my toilet…..

And you are the fucking nigger janitor

Quick! Everybody post PicsArt images!
The mod is drunk and stupid and we know where his buttons are now!

Attached: PicsArt_01-29-11.29.42.jpg (1024x768, 139.24K)

Every time you lose your self-control, you put me high on a pedestal…..

Literally… With the least amount of energy I could possibly muster… LITERALLY the least amount of energy… In a very short amount of time, I managed to get under your skin worse than anybody ever has !!!!

He hates this image too. I keep getting banned for it.
WHY, mod?
Is it seriously because it has a PicsArt filename? Are you that drunk, or just that anal?

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-02.16.13.png (2560x1408, 2.8M)

I would like to thank you for proving once again

that I truly am
The King Of Rockin' Trolls

(The most hated person in your history of imageboard culture)

I mean, I can change the filename if that would help, but I don't want to. Especially just to please a piece of shit like you, mod!

Attached: e3b0ae81d5bbfd2e5c27606482a91605577731a4c5b7accfdffdea726a91bebf.png (2560x1408, 2.12M)

I'm thinking about renaming this particular photograph 'PicsArt'

Attached: wendy neptune.jpg (932x1243, 379.84K)

Attached: Capture _2019-02-23-18-26-53.png (1415x2309, 1.12M)

Attached: Capture _2019-02-23-18-28-42.png (1398x2309, 312.16K)

dickweed…. I just choked on pizza laughing

Attached: Capture _2019-02-23-16-41-52.png (2391x1366, 1.06M)

NOTE TO SELF:

don't look at Fang's posts while swallowing pizza or drinking a beverage

Oops! I forgot to run those through PicsArt first!
Still though, mod, I can do this shit all day! You're about ready to pass out, it looks like to me..

The only fruitfly with a list

ALCOHOL: the stupidest 'drug' on earth

Attached: PicsArt PicsArt PicsArt.png (2000x1334, 1.65M)

LISP

LISP

GOD DAMN IT

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-09.49.02.png (2000x1334, 2.62M)

here's another piece of my used toilet paper

handle it for me, boy

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-09.54.24.jpg (1600x1138, 293.02K)

I'm actually at dinner, drove halfway across town while drunk because I'm not a pussy.

it's SO fucking easy to
get under your thin skin

it's not like I have to use
any sophisticated god
damn psychology or
ethereal techniques

All I have to do…….
Is wipe my fucking ass……
with your imageboard culture…..

which is really really easy because
I have NO RESPECT WHATSOEVER
for your bullshit imageboard culture

none…..

trust me…. NONE

Ahhhhhhh…..

NOW YOU'RE TALKING !!!

believe it or not now I'm beginning to have some respect for you !!!…….

That's more like it

Now I'm curious what kind of restaurant you went to… I just got done almost dying on a slice of pizza a few minutes ago…..

what you eating?

If this guy gives so little of a shit the heat got in his car drunk as hell and went to go Munch out somewhere, and he's in the middle of living his life, being an asshole and being kind of a renegade right now, and he's kind of 'shitmodding on the side', then he's gained a little bit of respect from me… I have to admit… He just earned a little bit of my respect

and it was YOU who almost made me choke on that pizza, and don't think I'm going to forget it.

Right now on LivePD, they've pulled over this chick, who has drawn her own license plate

but she's got an 8 week old puppy named Stella with her.

The cop is being really sweet to the puppy, and if they arrest the woman, the puppy will have to go to animal control….

So I'm eager to see what the cop finally decides

Attached: 20190223_220518.jpg (4160x3120, 3.02M)

The cop is being really cool with the dog, telling Stella how pretty she is and how sweet she is.

I'm hoping the cop is cool enough to give the chick a ticket and let her take the dog home safely

Attached: 20190223_221148.jpg (4160x3120, 4.76M)

Keeping my fingers crossed

Attached: 20190223_221218.jpg (4160x3120, 2.12M)

Released the lady and let Stella go home

Attached: 20190223_222648_HDR.jpg (4160x3120, 4.5M)

Enjoy your dinner!
I am also gaining some grudging respect for you, mod. I mean, not enough to stop posting PicsArt images or anything!
But, you know..

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-07.26.18.png (2560x1301, 3.29M)

I can definitely hear Pink Floyd influences..

actually, having trump shake Ruth's hand at a trump rally with thousands of people around to verify she is alive would be enough.

Had myself a nice Reuben and sweet potato fries at the local diner. It was breddy gud.
Enjoy [D+] instead of [RB] since this was humorous.

I love sweet potato French fries, and I always used to use honey to dip them in… Until I discovered that a majority of the honey that you buy at the store is actually artificial honey.

Even though it doesn't say it on the label.

Now I use sweet Asian chili sauce to dip my sweet potato fries into.

I was banned from /t/ for insulting americans so I will ask here: Why do cumskins do this?

Attached: why are cumskins so gay 2.jpg (1024x687, 135.02K)

Only 1 image? gay ass board

Attached: why are cumskins so gay.jpg (1199x534, 59.39K)

There's a guy named killcen in one of the other threads who will gladly explain

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-23-17-48-27.png (1080x2160, 837.86K)

I really fucking admire that young man who built his own prosthetic arms out of Legos, and then from some kind of motorized erector set.

He's from Barcelona Spain but he's demonstrating true American determination and ingenuity

I salute that kid big time… He gives me faith in the human race again

You are still a massive faggot, mod; but thanks for letting me know that uBlock Origin is one of your many buttons. I'll be sure to keep pushing it..
Here. Have a PicsArt image for dessert!

Attached: PicsArt_02-23-02.50.49.jpg (2598x1724, 803.43K)

Hold on a minute…. Was that a Reuben sandwich or a Jewish dude?

Because they commit more crimes.

The real problem here is equal punishment under the law. Poor (black) people simply can’t afford to break the law in a white country

Are you asleep yet mod?

More likely that he's passed out. Post cane toads.

Attached: PicsArt_02-11-12.00.58.jpg (826x532, 89.33K)

bump

That's my fetish.

Because of the choices those very same negros make.
While asset forfeiture is the kikiest shit ever so is the claim that any law disproportionately affects niggers, spics, mudshits and kikes.

>(((he))) thinks cumskin is an insult
Found the shitskin-niggerkike.

OK…
WHY THE FUCK didn't anybody rule against this shit on the basis of "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;"?????

Attached: how-stop-panic-attacks-step-step.jpg (400x354, 79.9K)

Are you saying the claim isn't true, or just that you don't care, even if it is true?

Attached: OJ-Simpson-Dupers-Delight.jpg (250x297, 25.55K)

You DO understand the only thing that gets Trump hard these days is the prospect of Ginsberg's death, right?
If she were dead, the human Cheeto would be shouting it from the rooftops and looking for another ultra-Trump-loyal sycophant to stack the SCOTUS with.
In fact (spoiler alert) if defeated in 2020, he'll declare another bogus "national emergency" and declare himself president-for-life.

Cities where making money this way and the people being affected where too poor to sue.

bumping real news

because cops arresting you under (((reasonable))) suspicion is construed as "due process"

Incarceration rates don't even remotely keep up with the disproportionately high rates of crime and violent crime in those communities.

Do you live under a rock?