After 24 Years, Scholar Completes 3,000-Page Translation Of The Hebrew Bible

After 24 Years, Scholar Completes 3,000-Page Translation Of The Hebrew Bible

For 24 years, literary scholar Robert Alter has been working on a new translation of the Hebrew Bible and — "this may shock some of your listeners," he warns — he's been working on it by hand.

"I'm very particular — I write on narrow-lined paper and I have a Cross mechanical pencil," he says.

The result is a three-volume set — a translation with commentary — that runs over 3,000 pages.

Working solo for so long on a project of this magnitude can take its toll, he says: "If you keep going verse by verse, looking at the commentary and wrestling with difficult words and so forth, you can get a little batty."

Alter says it was the "very high level of artistry" in the language of the Bible that drew him to the massive undertaking. "The existing English versions simply didn't do justice to the literary beauty of the Hebrew," he says.

As he worked, Alter found himself removing "Christological references" in the existing English translations.

"In trying to be faithful to the literary art of the Hebrew Bible I certainly edged it away from being merely a precursor to the New Testament — which is a different kind of writing all together," he says.

Take, for example, the word "soul" — you won't find it in Alter's translation.

"That's because the Hebrew word translated very often as 'soul' means something like 'life breath,' " Alter explains. "It's a very physical thing and there is no concept among the biblical writers in a split between body and soul. So I got rid of the soul."

He also changed the wording in Psalm 23 — "thou anointest my head with oil," is what you'll find in the King James translation. "But the Hebrew verb does not mean 'to anoint,' " Alter says. "The word that's actually used by the psalmist means 'to make luxuriant' — something like that. It's a very physical word. So after wrestling with other alternatives … I ended up saying 'you moisten my head with oil.' "

Alter also tried to imitate the rhythm of the original — which was a challenge because Hebrew is a much more compact language than English.

"Words squeeze together," Alter says. For example, in English it takes three words to say "he saw him." But in Hebrew it takes just one. "You know it's 'he' in the way the verb is conjugated, and then there's a little suffix at the end of the verb that tells you it's 'him.' "

Alter also tried to steer clear of words with a lot of syllables — you don't find many of those in biblical Hebrew, he says — and he omitted words that felt extraneous.

Alter points to one example in Psalm 30: The King James translation uses the phrase "What profit is there in my blood?" Alter removed "is there" to leave: "What profit in my blood?" Which he says is much closer to the rhythm of the Hebrew.

Alter always makes an audio recording of his work before handing it off to the transcriber — that way he hears everything out loud.

Of course, some day down the road another translator will come along and attempt to improve on his work.

"A translator of a great work is delusional if he or she thinks that there aren't places where the translation falls down," Alter says. He imagines this future translator will say: "That's awkward. I can see he's trying to get the literal sense of the Hebrew, but it sounds goofy in English and I can do better than that."
archive.fo/yllVO

Attached: 9780393292497_custom-7c6bb94a7f82476e0dd8ae6e0f3a22bceaa50e83-s300-c85.jpg (300x448, 40.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/00-front-nets.pdf
mechanical-translation.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not even gonna lie. This is the CAPTCHA I got when making this thread. TOP KEK.

Attached: Screenshot (77).png (957x537, 125.56K)

Topest kek in the realm

Attached: 300px-Into_the_trash_it_goes_card.jpg (300x418, 28.66K)

Lmao! The Jewish Bible was not written in exclusively Hebrew. It was written in a combination of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek. The "Jewish Bible in Hebrew" was invented in 700 AD. What a joke!

What a waste of time. The Greek Septuagint has been proven to be older than the Masoratic and was also literally divinely inspired.

>"It's a very physical thing and there is no concept among the biblical writers in a split between body and soul. So I got rid of the soul."
I got banned once on this very board for saying that exact same thing. Enjoy your ban. I know I'll enjoy mine for calling attention to it.

Autism.

Perhaps the first statement is true but I doubt about the second. There was an early belief that 70 scholars came independently wrote the Greek Septuagint and it was exactly the same but it's probably a legend. I first heard this in the church writings from Justin Martyr but I doubt you want to go to him for historical facts since he can be anachronistic at times and even got the reign of Herod wrong in his wirings.

I thought it was standard catholic teaching that soul and body are inseparable.

Call me when he does the original geek

No, while the claims that the Masoretic text contains edits or abridgements may be assertable, that does not change the fact that the original language of composition is Hebrew.
It would interest you to know that the OSB and the NETS translation both largely rely on popular translations which use the MT as the base and only deviate from it where it is necessary to agree with the Septuagint. This is in part due to the recognition of the LXX being a translation from Hebrew. The other would be just the circumstantial convenience of it as opposed to trying to translate everything from scratch and in a literal manner.

ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/00-front-nets.pdf

That about sums the whole thing up, doesn't it?

I remember this posited some interesting interpretations.
mechanical-translation.org/

Otherwise I just prefer the ASV and a variety of translations for the apocrypha. To the displeasure of Douay-Rheims fans, its apocrypha may be less desirable than that of other translations for being of second hand Latin translations instead directly from older or more original Greek sources.

Imagine being so butthurt that you waste 24 years of your life butchering the Holy Bible by removing all references to Christ and ruining the literary beauty of it. I might as well waste 24 years of my life scribbling all over the Talmud with a crayon and selling copies of that. No one's going to read or use this translation.

Attached: 1235243423.PNG (648x328, 17.03K)

Every single time.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. We live in a world where people read and use The Message.

A Jewish person translating Tanakh? GOSH!

Go away, Zig Forums. It's past your bedtime.

this tbh fam

Of course the original text was composed in hebrew, but that doesn't make the Masoratic the original text. The Masoratic is a heavily edited bastardization of the original text and the Septuagint is the closest thing to the original that we have.

A jew perverting the word of God is almost as predictable as some faggot getting in a huff over people pointing it out.

this tbh fam

No Konstantin Ivanovich, things aren't that simple. The most authentic syntax and vocabulary can only be preserved through the Hebrew text. This is the reason why it is highly valuable to biblical heritage.
The ideal is to correct it according to Septuagint, DSS, and possibly even Samaritan readings. The Vulgate could also be important.

As if using the (((Original Hebrew™))) isn't a good enough joke.