An academic told me the Bible is wrong about Moses's name. Apparently the name is Egyptian in origin...

An academic told me the Bible is wrong about Moses's name. Apparently the name is Egyptian in origin, not Hebrew like the Bible suggests, and that it means "son of" not "drawn out of water." He did give me examples, like of a Pharaoh named Thutmose I whose name means "son of Thoth" and Ramesses/Ramses I whose name means "son of Ra". He says likely Moses's name included a foreign gods name but it got removed and that the story had a long oral tradition before it got included in the Bible and likely the authors of the Bible drew on material like that of Sargon of Akkad and came up with a Hebrew/folk etymology to make Moses's name mean "drawn out of water" instead of what it originally meant. He did make a good point of why would an Egyptian give a child a Hebrew name? Anyway, how accurate is this Zig Forums?

Attached: 2016-11-29-1480396888-5973927-moses1.jpg (1500x1125, 817.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/exo.pdf
bible.org/download/netbible
bible.org/sites/bible.org/resources/download/netbible/
bible.org/netbible/.
bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/gen.pdf
bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/mar.pdf
bible.org/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Bible never said it was Hebrew either. Pharaoh's own daughter named him Moses. And yes, it's the same variation as Dedumose, Thutmose, Ahmose, etc..

Exodus 2:10?????

Moses

Honestly.

You mean the meaning it says there. He could be right. I'm just saying that Pharaoh's daughter named him, not Moses' Hebrew mother.

"Mashah" is the Hebrew wording meaning drawn out.. And Moshe (Mo-Sha) is how the Hebrew pronounce it (I don't think the Egyptians use an Sh sound). So there could be some anachronistic etymology from Hebrew to use that word on to his name.

Either way, these stupid gotchas from skeptics are retarded. They mean nothing. A lot of figures from history had multiple names, depending on the culture writing about them.

Just to add.. as for some people having different names in different cultures: Ramses is a good example.

He is Oxymandias in Greek

His "Horus" name was Ka-nakht-mery-Ra (the Strong Bull)

His Nebty name was Mek-Kemet-waf-khasut (Protector of Kemet)

His throne name was User-Maat-Ra-setep-en Ra

And his actual full birth name is Riyama-shisha-miamana

That last full name is why David Rohl, for example says the Pharoah "Shishak" is actually Ramses II, and not the Pharoah Shoshenq as mainstream scholars insist. He insists the Israelites were just shortening the "Shisha" in his longer name to "Shishak".

Ramses is another shortened form of the birth name obviously.

But to get back to the point, Moses, if he was in the royal court, probably wasn't simply called Moses.

Did you know Jesus name isn't actually Jesus? Jesus is just the latinized name.
Thus the bible is a fake.
Checkmate Christians.

This almost seems authentic. Good job.

Oh sh*t religion btfo, brb buying a fedora right now.

OK.. this one might not actually be a troll.

CRINGE

Attached: 361269339934087cc8dc299c1a569c683d8f2496940d1159715d606f667ae1f8.jpg (409x618, 58.4K)

Based language heretic

Attached: afroasiatic.png (2358x1618, 21.7K)

This doesn't change anything and is mostly conjecture.

OP, check out this link:
bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/exo.pdf
and read

The notes on page 117 (pic related) address your question directly, and also give follow up sources and references for further reading (which I have not done). also there might be more notes in that document before or after these ones (I didn't look too hard, just found these ones and am now posting it).

Attached: exodus-ch2-10-p117.png (1140x1764, 952.01K)

The claim that the story of Moses and the river was based on a similar story about Sargon of Akkad is ridiculous. The earliest text mentioning the story about Sargon was written around 600 B.C. I haven't kept up with newest hip and edgy theories that atheists have about the Bible, but I think even they would admit that the Book of Exodus was written before that.

Based

What is this commentary/resource? Pasting bible.org/download/netbible (inc. the bits beyond that in your link takes you to 403 forbidden lands) into my browser takes me to bible.org/sites/bible.org/resources/download/netbible/ which is seemingly just about some software

The source seems to be bible.org/netbible/.

If you use the link in but replace "exo" with the first three letters of another book you get its pdf, e.g.

bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/gen.pdf
bible.org/download/netbible/ondemand/bybook/mar.pdf

The main site is bible.org/.

awesome thanks

Attached: 345431425.png (574x409, 252.7K)

You mean a Jew or an useful idiot goy ?

An academic also told me that OP is a fag, so there's that

Frankly, if God is too much of a coward to step up and take responsibility for his actions and his followers are more than happy to enable his reckless behaviour under the common argument "muh free will exonerates God", why should I, or anyone, even bother following the impotent retard?

I see now why the kikes laugh at Christianity. It's a joke religion predicated entirely behind 'Heaven on a Stick,' don't mess up or you're going to suffer for eternity! This farce is unnecessary.

I spit on god.

Really just think about it. If your son murdered his brother then of course he should be punished. But wouldn't you contemplate your failures as a father?

God isn't infallible, so why would I follow him?