Reality Bubble:humanity's collective blindspots make us incapable of seeing danger til it's 2 late

Ziya Tong is a veteran science reporter who spent years hosting Discovery's flagship science program, Daily Planet: it's the sort of job that gives you a very broad, interdisciplinary view of the sciences, and it shows in her debut book, The Reality Bubble: Blind Spots, Hidden Truths, and the Dangerous Illusions that Shape Our World, a tour of ten ways in which our senses, our society, and our political system leads us to systematically misunderstand the world, to our deadly detriment.

Tong's thesis is that we are prisoners of our context and our senses (as the old science fiction maxim goes: "All laws are local and no law knows how local it is"), and that our biological shortcomings cause us to misapprehend the universe, while our politics and economics systematically blind us to the world around us (for example, the web will deliver many realtime views of eagles nesting, but few to none of chickens being slaughtered).

Tong opens with our sensory apparatus and its misleading precision. It takes an effort of will to see the world as it is, occupied by living things that are mostly much smaller than we are, and far, far more numerous; and also set in a universe that is much larger than we can hold in our imaginations for more than an instant. The intuitions we get from our senses – that humans are of average size, and that the universe is mostly arrayed around us – confound and confuse us. Then, as we get smaller still, we have to confront the idea that matter itself is mostly an illusion, the things we think of as "solid" really mostly made of empty space, and our collisons with "reality" (like stubbing your toe) are actually mysterious fields being repelled by one another, while neutrinos stream through "solid matter" as though it wasn't there at all (it's not).

From there, Tong navigates us to our systemic blindspots: about where our food comes from (and the cruelty this entails) and where our waste goes, where energy comes from and where its waste goes.

Finally, Tong shows us how our relationship to these hard-to-see, deliberately obscured systems lead us astray, cooking our planet and abusing the other living things we share it with, and how the seemingly inevitable relationships we have with land, private property, animals, waste and food are entirely contingent, eminently changeable, and long overdue for reconsideration.

Reality Bubble attracted early positive notices from Naomi Klein, David Suzuki, and Jane Goodall, and it's not hard to see why. It's a skillful weaving-together of disparate threads from many disciplines, set out in evocative language that expresses a profound love for our species and the other living things we share our only habitable world with. It's not just a wake-up call, it's a recipe for survival – alarming yet hopeful.

boingboing.net/2019/05/23/blind-spots-vs-biology.html

Attached: ZIYA-Book.jpg (1800x1168, 333.98K)

Gore Vidal, in his novel Julian, observes:

One curious aspect of human society is that preventive measures are seldom taken to avert disaster, even when the exact nature of the approaching calamity is perfectly plain. In March when the rains did not fall, everyone knew that there would be a small harvest; by May, it was obvious that there would be a food shortage; by June, famine. But though we often discussed this in the senate and the people in the markets talked of little else but the uncommon dryness of the season—no plans were made to buy grain from other countries. All of us knew what was going to happen, and no one did anything. There is a grim constant in this matter which might be worth a philosopher’s while to investigate.

>>>/prepare/

/killcen/: I saw this coming.
(sac): If you saw this coming, /killcen/, why didn’t you say something?
(sac): If I said something every time I saw something coming we’d never get anything done.

The problem with humanity is that Artie isn’t perfect.

Attached: 9191822d067535aacfe8870d7bf42c6a94bf9f63.gif (480x208, 2.53M)

fucked that up, didn't see it coming

The most recent Wondermark:

Attached: 90a376b85aae3468ee7b448f6780e49bda8f6c8f.png (900x900, 380.82K)

do me a huge favor and shut up.

Lately ive been feeling a weird kind of vibe,
Like everything's gonna end and I'm running out of time
But I still have so much life left for me to live, its my prime
Believing what I was always told, was my biggest crime
This feeling I have, it's something I'd describe as sublime,
You ask me what's wrong and I'm gonna say everything is fine
I'm trying so hard to get my shit aligned, but it's like every step I make I fall back down every time
And all of my failures make their way down the grape vine
Tears falling down my face as I finally swallow my pride, and I bow my head and pray,
Lord thank you for each and every unpromised day
It's not a bad life just because of a few bad days,
Tryna learn how to let go and let God because nothing ever stays
My heart is on my sleeve, scars are all that remain,
This light of mine is one of a kind even tho I'm presented as Sarah Tall And Plain
I've been conditioning for this life with all of the pain, in the storm, I learned how to dance in the rain, I'm the architect of my own destruction, so I'm the only one to blame, constant battle between my heart and brain, voices in my head over and over again, echoing inside my brain, free spirit but my mind is in chains, My body is here but my vision is on a whole other plane, you can't see the bigger picture if your focused on the picture frame, trying so hard to be a source for the ones I love to only drain, carrying all this weight on me is gonna make me have a sprain, still somehow I'm the villain call me Bruce Wayne, but it's gonna be okay, I've been here before, so I'll go out the same way that I came, I'm going out the same way that I came, to the heavens is where I aim, spread my wings and fly, it's a bird, no, it's a plane, I'm free falling way up in the sky, but on the ground society tries so hard to make me their slave, these elevated heights leave me scared shitless, but the fear is the very thing that makes me brave, God will bless you tenfold everything that you gave, cause what you give in your life is what you take with you to your grave, through this pain, love is all I seem to crave, watch it fall to the floor I get on my knees and get up every drop that I can save, echoes in my head saying that it's getting late, time to get my act right and my shit straight, you can't overcome the fear if you're not afraid, you can't be mad at God because of a choice that you made, he gives us signs everywhere and every day and yet we still disobey, I marvel at the beauty of creation every night when the stars are on display, and laying down underneath the sky and moonbathe, charges my soul just to ride the wave, if I could record the waves I would keep it on replay, loving the rays of moon light, dreaming through the light of day, echoes inhead, repeating sound waves, this walk of life started as a maze but now my heart is on fire, just a spark and now I'm covered in flames, now I am the light, and my heart emits a heat wave, now everyone is looking up to me to lead the way, my whole life has been preparing me for this day, but i can not save the world if my heart is a hollow cave, and I can't lead them down a road that I haven't already paved, its an epiphany, thinking about how God has everything in it's perfect place, and his timing is never late, perfect love happiness and peace without ever again being afraid, because in his image we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and that's why I'm giving God so much praise,

The sun arose again from the dark, my skin absorbs the rays of lights energy with a spark, and it turns into aesthetic art, it's waves passing through me like a prism, it takes a bow for the rain, it's beautiful reflection is imprinted by the sunlight, shining it's spectrum of natural lights so bright causing it to nearly blind my sight, and fills my soul with the warmth of delight, my pulse quickens from the addrenaline of it's hype, I'm painting a picture with every word i type, this is a beautiful vision of life,
Now the blue skies fill up with clouds, the sun goes missing, now darkness creeps over the sky, blue is nowhere to be found, you feel what's happening, I'm taking away it's sound
The air is feeling like a heavy crescendo as it begins to drain it's pain, the heavens rain, and the earth soaks up as much of the tears, the sky loses her weight so life can be gained, the lightning flashes her spine, impaling the darkened and cloudy sky, and then the air trembles in fear, shaking everything that is grounded near, the wind rises and falls picks up and takes off, and blows through my hair, and passes through my body like air, so gently as if the violent wind found it inside of itself to care, I'm planted like a tree in the earth and I'm not going nowhere, for in this space, all natural disasters must share, like dreams exists beside the nightmares, this is a war for love so all is fair, so let the elements dance together, and cause this chaotic weather, for we will withstand the conditions, for my armor is made with iron and leather, and the current of the wind carries my wings and leaves behind a feather, and i leave colors for the wind to take with it forever, and to eventually blow through the holes of your sweater, and when you breathe it all in, I hope it leaves you feeling much better

We need to save the world by giving the Jews more shekels!

i red this
it has big werds but i kinda got it

its about this user and hes mental and he dont take his meds and he posts weerd shit and the voice wont leeve him alone

the end

The only interesting thing women have ever done is stream their assholes and nasty roast beef cunts on the internet. When I think back to what men have done I can go on for centuries. I am the most unbiased person on earth and through my subjective analysis of the female race I have discovered that women are retarded fuckholes who can moonlight as puppets.

You can drink your own spit (drink your own spit = the nourishment given to the universe by the average woman over 24 hours ) or drink some water ( drink some water = the never ending cornucopia provided to mother Gaia earth by the existence of the aryan white master race 6 foot 6 ( 12 inch cock) chad white male species.

if this is not a paste, waste of talent TBQH famalam. You captured something there.

no. that written by Sarah, a girl who I've been talking to on the phone for the past five hours. she's going to go out with me Saturday. we hit it off BIGTIME.

Sarah

Attached: 20190531_011910.jpg (778x1280, 286.29K)

you're full of shit. I just had one of the most exhilarating and enlightening 5 hour conversations in my life.

Attached: 20190531_012422.jpg (1245x1920, 935.2K)

I'm sorry you harbor some much animosity for women. you should try being less corrosive. here's something Sarah wrote two nights ago.

She's a good girl, but she broke her mamas heart, she appears to be holding it all together, but inside she's falling apart, her soul is full of light, but the inside of her mind is dark, peacemaker, but an activist for love, call her Joan of arc, her pain is her beauty, and she's a work of art, pulling the strings of your heart so gently like she's playing a harp, her gaze cuts into the soul deep, her eyes are that sharp, not a dull thing about her, except sometimes when she tries to put on a smile, and the white of her shoes because she's been walking for miles, using her judgement through all of her trials, pursuing love peace and happiness cause it's been a while, went through the madness of finding herself, but the outside world had nothing that would help, the only thing she knew was true was how her heart felt, been beaten and tattered with a leather belt, no one could tell by looking at her the hand in life she has been dealt, she's been through the holy fire, that's why she can make any cold heart melt, but because her heart is one of gold, means that her soul is a thousand years old, been through lives that have never been told, look inside her eyes, she's a star inside of a soul, she's the key holder for eternity,

Attached: 20190531_012504.jpg (1162x1920, 603.34K)

you're gay. charming.

Yea, definitely written by a woman, or a really effeminate male

Sarah, Plain and Tall

her word is meant for all

where did you bury her body, user?

collective blindspots = politically incorrect facts

kys cuck

The reality bubble is a massive global debt bubble, and it will burst, and when it does, the reckoning to fiscal reality will haunt you for a very long time and bring great death and misery for those not prepared.

sarah is a charming young woman, user.

I call my feminine side, Rebekka

She so sweet, unlike my male dull side that I use here

What creates this bubble is lack of liberty and the suppression of free speech.

it useta be that when i was in the city and i saw the crazies wavin' their pamphlets and spoutin' the shit outta the wrong end, i just walked by them

Now they have discovered img boards

fuck

I felt like this a coulpa times but i gave ecstasy up

shut up and just=kiss=it