Are light color schemes really better for your eyes?

Been using dark ones but not sure anymore

Attached: html_viml.png (845x496, 97.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why don't we disable making new threads and only use the sticky for everything?

It actually goes into >>>/rice/

Why don't we disable this board and only use IRC for everything?

I'm down for that

light in the day, dark at night

I can't concentrate with light schemes, it gets all blurry and shit

Hell no! That light background stuff is blinding, unless maybe you're sitting directly in sunlight.

I remember that feel from the days of CRTs and early plasma screens. On other screens I am usually fine just fiddling with brightness and contrast. I even prefer light on dark themes on reflective screens, including plain paper.

doesn't matter to me.

This'
I've been programming for 15+ years and always used the default visual studio theme

For filtering out retards, every little bit of complexity helps

bump for interest

There is the result of what my searches:
Black text on white background: It's far better for reading. If you read books, you don't have to "rewire" your brain each time you switch.
BUT the major problem is the blue light coming out of the screen. It literally destroys your sleep cycle, since your inner clock is actually calibrated by your eyes, through blue light. Moreover, the skin actually reacts to blue light.
However, we still don't know what are the real effect of screens on eyes. There is literally, in my home country, an epidemic of myopia. The current scientific literature is actually saying that light coming out of screens actually encourage the formation of myopia. But who knows, what we will unveil in the future about the true nature of this.
To conclude: Blue light (and i'm pretty sur you can generalise at light from screens) is dangerous for yourself. But It's far better to read black text on white background. The solution is to use redshift, with overkilled configuration to make your monitor as orange as possible in the evening. And to use your computer far less. The other solution is to still use redshift, but with white text on black background. I personally read a lot, so I don't want to do the switch, but if you don't care, I would say that for your own health sake, try to emit as low light from your screen as possible. And so use black background with white text.

Attached: when-the-cheeky-is-breeky.jpg (675x900, 61.02K)

And btw, don't buy in the yellow glasses bullshit. They don't cut the whole blue spectrum (something like 30%), so it's useless. It's just a huge business, as the whole glasses business is.

What? Look:
* Books reflect light thus the black paper will be even grayer than black on an LCD Monitor
=>black on white is cheaper and more readable
* Monitors emit light
=>white on black may be cheaper (depending on display) and way more readable

The web using white as default color was a retarded mistake but not the only one.
HTML isn't XML but some standardles weird crap mixed together with parts that have to be ignored and send to individual parser.

Emulating printed books with a light-emitting display is shit for your eyes. Bright illuminated screens are more tiring and will strain your eyes, especially in unlit rooms. Hell, even an ophthalmologist told me to avoid bright screen colors, so fuck bright backgrounds.
I perceive white text on black backgrounds way sharper than the other way around. Could be because I have double-vision.
And the reason against dark themes doesn't seem to be the "muh contrast" meme anymore, given the jarring trend of using light grey on white (pic), because "black on white is too much"

Attached: img2.jpg (720x240, 44.78K)

Yes why don't we?

If you do some web-digging/stalking, you'd notice that most 90th era websites were optimized for narrower color gamuts and usually have gray/azure/brown background color and textures. Black used to be a common background color too.

Good stuff, good post. But I'd rather agree with the other anons above. Light text on dark background is far better for me, especially when coding.

Default "web" (what you get if you don't define colors in your HTML) is more like black on light gray. It's a bit easier on the eyes than full bright white background.

Attached: mMosaic.png (1081x723, 96.49K)

oh so reflected light is less lighty?

I was quoting that:
ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes

When saying that black text/white background is better for reading.

But seriously, like go for white text/black screen and limit light emission from your screen at the maximum extend.
I think that I'll switch myself back to it. It bothered me because I use my computer mainly to read, not to code. But my health is more important.

Red glasses work then, that's why they use them on subs, right?

paper was a mistake

/bread

You would have had an argument with CRTs, but no, you aren't having light shined directly into your eyeballs at any more intensity than reading ordinary paper in moderate sunlight. Don't be retarded.

It matches brightness of your surroundings to which you eyes automatically adjust.

I guess you can adjust screen brightness manually to comfortable levels, but it isn't easy to do on most modern screens (unless it's a laptop).

Cutting out 60% of blue light is better than not cutting any of it, no?

You don't need to go full black&white, OP has soft "solarized" palette even in his attached screenshot.

Attached: solarized-selcon.png (492x208, 95.83K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-25 20-02-20.png (650x687, 120.8K)

the web shouldn't have a default color. text shouldn't have a color. the user decides how to view it. literally only 0.00000001% of useful static content needs a specified text/background color. what we really need is a separate system for putting clickbait and commercial magazine tier crap and one for objective/hobby/research content. know what we could use the web for the former and a new system for the latter (not PDF, that is also AIDS)

finally a theme as black as my tortured soul

white is too bright on modern screens even with low brightness.

typical ricer baby

It probably has more to do with getting used to whatever colors you choose. I've dealt with dark and light fine, though it can take some time to adapt to dark background.

Thank you my boys, the colorscheme is moody.
If you want the Xresources just send me a dick pic.

Both are floating.

No. Where the hell did you get that retarded idea? The whole point of bothering with dark themes is because it's better for your eyes.

I'm not going to pretend to know all about this stuff, but I asked my eye doctor about if screens fuck up your eyes, and he told me they used to believe that but not anymore. It's mostly just staring at a fixed distance all day that fucks your eyes. You need to exercise the muscles in your eyes by focusing on objects at varying distances fairly regularly.

Bad CRT display screens used to tremble, which fucked with your eyes too.

Dark gray background+light gray text master race btw

post your theme that apparently cures cancer