Richard Stallman Talks About Microsoft(R)'s Azure Sphere OS(TM)

He seems to think that as long as they release the source for the GPL'd parts it's fine. I disagree since this is clearly the Extend stage of EEE, but I guess he does have a point.
youtube.com/watch?v=Kqp9LIl5MH4

Attached: Richard Stallman talks about Microsoft Azure Sphere OS-Kqp9LIl5MH4.webm (640x360, 10.46M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VMM6D9vuHkY
muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html
twitter.com/rob_pike/status/966896123548872705
gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html).
theguardian.com/technology/2009/jul/17/amazon-kindle-1984.
sel4.systems/
genode.org/
stallman.org/articles/texas.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

he gave up eons ago

Don't think so, even though I do think he has lowered the amount of effort he puts on it recently. His age and his weight are taking a toll on him for sure.

SaaS as always been a special matter.
SaaS by itself is and isn't a problem at the same time because SaaS mostly relies on people using the service more than software. Software is less the center of the problem, the problem of SaaS lies in the usage of the service and not in the software it's using. A SaaS that uses non-free or free/libre software as the same outcome for the users of it since it's control relies on the administrators of it. It's still tho positive that free/libre software is used to provide services to the users since the admins gains the four freedoms thank to it.
The EEE isn't a software problem it's a human problem, it's actually a very clever move from google/MS and others since they don't have to maintain compatibility for a lot of platforms and the users don't have to bother about their own PC and that's the danger, not having control of the tools that you use being completely dependent on a 3rd party.
There's also multitude of problems emerging from SaaS but again it's a human related problem and not a software one.

I find RMS quite relaxed in this he generally seems to lack sleep time and is a bit out of this world.

There as bin internal problem in the FSF shortly the rowe incident as caused a chain reaction and it accentuated with gnu social being EEE and the said EEE was encouraged by some staff (even tho they seemed to have good intentions).

That pajeet-interviewer doesn't even understand proprietary JavaScript. He initially released the full interview only to his patreons, and in the comments someone said they weren't willing to use Patreon.com
What? Can web services be open source? Why do you need a web service to be open source? You should have control over the software you RUN on YOUR machine. You don't run Patreon on YOUR machine. Please try to understand what free software is all about. I can help if you need explanation.

He're the whole thing, but they derail into politics too.
youtube.com/watch?v=VMM6D9vuHkY

I hope so,'cause he looks like shit.

Attached: All_users_of_Windows_are_suckers.mp4 (1280x720, 598.46K)

That is amazing.

There's no irony. You're just dumb.

Pajeets are so full of shit, nearly as much as their streets.
He even states:

Richard Stallman is legitimately autistic and even HE is more sensible than most users of this board

Really makes you think

At this point I’m convinced that he’s insane. Every fucking interview he does is virtually the same shit over and over again: “muh Linux is just a kernel”, “muh free software isn’t open source”, “muh four freedoms”, etc., etc. He’s literally stuck in his own past.

Howso? You don't think users here like freedom?

The reason he has to repeat these same lessons is because people legitimately do not understand what these lessons are. People do not understand that Linux is a kernel program, not an operating system in itself. People do not understand that the open source development method isn't the ideal that Stallman is advocating. People do not understand that free software is software that respects the users' freedom.

The users here really don't care about freedom. They're always bitching about Firefox and Intel while non-ironically using Windows, proprietary games, and smartphones.

This is probably the most retarded recurring thing he says since he simultaneously uses both of these arguments:
• "I don't approve of open source";
• "X is bad because its source code is private."

Did you know that the open source movement was started specifically to promote an agenda of open development of shared code in direct opposition to his message that freedom is important?

He does not approve of the IDEA behind open source vs his own. Open Source is a development model; not a philosophy.

>doesn't realize that (((Microsoft))) will use free software in a bad way (EEE)
linus torvalds is better

Stallman is not an SJW for the simple reason that he is a free speech absolutist. He might believe something is wrong, but he's never in favor of censoring anything.

Linus Torvalds raised an SJW. In many ways that is worse than being one. Also

When it comes to hardware/software, the path of freedom is a hard one to walk.

Torvalds might not be on the deep end, but he definitely has his toes dipped into the SJW pool. I knew he was over-hyped when he told ESR he wasn't a fan of the second amendment.

I blame that more on him being a Eurotard. The language he uses is pretty far separated from the SJW crowd.

You can be against software that keeps the source code private and not approve of open source simultaneously, because some open source software can be made into proprietary software.
Open source can be used to outsource development to voluntary developers, while at the same time selling the contributed source code in proprietary form.
Whereas in free software the contributions to the source code will remain available, even when the software gets sold.

Go read his website; he may have given us the GPL but he's a turbojew through and through.

Stallman is very OwO

Also this is from June 28, 2003:

Attached: StallmanIsWeird.png (699x629, 543.67K)

I don't agree with all of his positions, but it doesn't seem very Jewish to pass up making money by putting all your organizations products under free licenses. Even all of his books are GFDL.

You realize non of this is really all that radical for this place, right?

Users are perfectly able to keep their free software to be private. There is absolutely no requirement for contributions to be made with source code in free software. What you can't do is distribute a program binary without also distributing the source code to that binary.

Stallman is a "Muh Freedumbs" tier retard who just wants more freedumbs to be available, regardless of what harm it might cause. He does not understand nature, evolution or its rules.

That argument will stop working as soon as Clang will be able to complie Linux. Every other piece of GNU software that was required to build a so-called GNU/Linux OS already has a “non-GNU” alternative.

There's already a project underway to build patches to make it so that clang can compile the kernel. The only reason why it can't already do so is because the kernel makes use of nonstandard GNU """features""".
Hell, even TCC can compile Linux (or at least a patched version).

Oh, goodie~ I can't wait for my GPL'd kernel to be slower because some BSD-tard has a problem with using a GPL'd compiler. What an advancement that'll be.

Attached: xlafrge.jpeg (1024x799, 171.52K)

Even children know that GNU’s software sucks. GNU might have a head but he sure doesn’t have hands.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (700x684, 73.81K)

umm I actually agree with him to a certain extent
im just surprised that stallman is so l-lewd!

This. You dont have to release the source if the software is never released to the public.
but if you release the program, you have to provide source. This BTFOs the CIAniggers.

I would actually be in favor of a GNU coreutils replacement. Busybox is under the same copyleft license but is way less bloat. its SOOO tiny and has all the usual utilities. What would be the downside to transitioning everything over to busybox? It seems to work perfectly well on Alpine (well aside from the fact that Alpine doesn't have manpages, but that's Alpine's fault)

Attached: tumblr_n58yznzf2z1tobs6to1_500.gif (500x482, 195.22K)

Proprietary gaymes wouldn't work for one thing.

was that meant for me in response to the busybox question? Wouldnt stuff like flatpak remedy this?

Honestly, is there one other than the license (which doesn't even touch the end user in any way)?

There are none, user. Busybox is superior.

GNU sucks because of bloat, that is where BSD excels. GNU is Project managed to the Nein-th degree

A sane version of true is 8kb, stripped. GNU true is 32kb, stripped. $ du -h ./true /bin/true32K /bin/true8.0K ./true

>not using 45 Byte true from muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html

A 0 byte executable file returns 0 on linux btw.

Oh wait it doesn't. I think I tested the 0 byte executable on some other obscure operating system and then just assumed it would also work on Linux for some reason.

If you invoke it with a shell such as bash, then yes, it works.
However, assert(execve("./empty", NULL, NULL) == 0) fails. So a zero byte true is of limited use.

you mean old UNIX? Here's an explanation from Rob Pike's twitter
twitter.com/rob_pike/status/966896123548872705

Stallman is an old liberal that unplgged from the system, he is not an sjw, but rather an assange tier actor.
predicted everything wrong with society and computers.
Linus wrote a kernel on his 386 without having to do any research, just implementing ideas that existed for nearly 20 years.

Any sane method of handling filenames is one.

Stallman didn't predict anything. Those very same fears, and the resulting free software were already growing in the early 70's. They just didn't have a long legal document attached, because people were content to simply have free software, rather than impose their will on others.

Attached: 1972_pcc_v1_n1-000001.png (1736x2677, 3.86M)

Yeah, and how did that work out, Roka?

Attached: cmwindows1-0jul15a.jpg (1170x639, 169.42K)

It worked quite well. Dr. Dobb's Journal had a very long, successful run. The *BSD projects are also kinda similar, and still around today.

>doesn't realize that (((Microsoft))) will use free software in a bad way (EEE)
That's totally uncommon in the LFOSS world.
Hello Linus! Great to see you have found your way to our little dark corner of the internet. I hope you enjoy your stay! You will be pleased to know you that here you can, like the at the LKML tell people to kill themselves without being fired by a pink-haired SJeW.

On a more serious note, I would like to say that while rms is not perfect he has still predicted many bad uses of technology. In 1997 he wrote The Right to Read (gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.en.html). 12 years later Amazon remotely deleted copies of 1984 from Kindles: theguardian.com/technology/2009/jul/17/amazon-kindle-1984. And regardless of your views regarding GPLv2 vs GPLv3, BSD vs GPL, and Open Source vs Free Software, you should agree with him that paying in cash protects not only your pirvacy but also your autonomy from banksters anf big government. Ignore him at our peril.

Yeah, it's best to just to thank him for the GPL and ignore literally everything else he says.

He repeats that shit because there is an effort to pervert his movement through clever catchphrases. He says this every time he is forced to repeat himself.

Poojeet is mad.

GNU is a stupid name and GNU/Linux is even more retarded. I agree with his point that the whole os shouldn't just be called linux, but he should maybe discuss with Torvalds what to call the whole system. Call it even Gnulix or something, I don't care. Just so it's one word, GNU/Linux is so retarded. I thibk it's to late anyway, people will just call it linux anyway

Happened many years ago. Stallman himself is literally the only one left who keeps interjecting (he has come to call "Gahnoo PLUS Leenucks" though, according to his own words).

I don't understand why the name GNU/Linux is retarded given that it is clear and accurate. Stallman proposed the name Lignux in 1992. If anything, we should be calling the system GNU after the GNU OS which is the fundamental part of the OS.

Haven't you heard what everyone else said about replacing all GNU components with other types such as musl, busybox, clang, etc.?

The name GNU/Linux only applies to systems that have the GNU OS and the Linux kernel as the fundamental part of the system. The GNU/Solaris system is not a GNU/Linux system. A system with a foundation of Linux/Busybox system is not a GNU/Linux system, the same is true for a Linux/Android system. Alpine Linux is an example of a system that is not a GNU/Linux system.

GNU is not an operating system, not unless you added Hurd. Would you consider a pile of GNUshit to be an operating system if it wouldn't boot?

GNU has been an operating system since 1983 long before the birth of Hurd.

No, it's not.

An operating system is "the software that securely abstracts and multiplexes physical resources" (Tanenbaum, 1987). Sure sounds like Linux to me. While we're at it, quotes from The UNIX Programming Environment and The Design of the UNIX Operating System:
All GNU programs are userspace and non-essential. Stallman is just using this as propaganda and you idiots are falling for it. Dennis Ritchie, Ken Thompson, Rob Pike and Donald Knuth are happy to call it "Linux." Why aren't you?

This. You could theoretically use a bootloader like syslinux as a shell, just passing an `init=` parameter to the kernel to run your programs, then rebooting.
Nobody wants to do that but it illustrates the point that GNU is not strictly necessary.

Microsoft is trying to take ownership of Linux. It already basically owns the foundation. They are trying to destroy the competition. That's my take on the whole thing. And of course, the whole IoT thing is nightmarish. Microsoft wants to control everything in your life, and they are doing it with Linux because Windows is so shitty that it's unusable for that purpose. The only positive thing about this is that Microsoft is basically admitting that they are incompetent and that Windows doesn't work.

Brand new sensible UNIX-bs free kernel that isn't Windows NT, Linux, XNU or BSD when?

Make it yourself

seL4! OwO!
A promising full OS would be Genode/seL4
sel4.systems/
genode.org/

Attached: snugglykittyboyinrobe.png (600x300 424.77 KB, 21.04K)

GAY

Show a cap of it running. It doesn't even look like an OS, just an "OS framework".

Yes I am

it is, and they have recently released a system based on that framework called Sculpt. I'm too brainlet/busy/lazy to actually figure out how to install it right now, but I heard that someone ported QtWebKit (or was it QtWebEngine?) to Genode.

Kill yourself.
WOW I can run a program with 10000000 bugs on an OS with few bugs. Ebin!!!

well what is your preferred browser engine?
(note: must be one that can actually load most websites. no links or w3m, as comfy as they are)

elinks

Still a text browser, also not exactly a good one to mention when complaining about bugs
and on top of that it looks like its a dead project

Never. You will just have to use old computers (and electronics in general) and possibly, at some point, avoid the internet until it's destroyed and abandoned. Then again, I don't think they could possibly kill every distro, so there's that, at least. Most high quality entertainment runs just fine on junk hardware.

The point is that the future will be terrible and you should avoid everything. Develop some asceticism and efficiency right now so you don't have to be part of the problem. You will need the mental fortitude of a Buddhist monk if you want to survive what's to come. The Buddhism is optional, of course. It can be replaced with pure autism, which is what I tend to do. That way you can comfortably live in the past forever, when you're not in public. Unless you have access to autismbux, then you don't have to be in public and your life can be perfect. That way you could even have the time to build your own OS, or just masturbate to anime and get drunk. Whatever you think is more productive. It's subjective.

Can you survive the CIA hell?

Attached: 4535.png (1920x1080, 1.21M)

Linux is the OS since it runs the programs. That's literally CS101 knowledge, mate. Just because POSIX defined an OS to include things such as cp/ls/mv/rm to be part of the OS doesn't mean it actually is. Nobody really cares what POSIX says, people don't actually read these standards. RMS cites POSIX and its literally the only leg he stands on.

So yeah, people understand this "lesson" just fine, they're just sick of this tired rhetoric that convinces absolutely no one. The real term for GNU is user space. GNU software is just a bunch of user space programs, among many others. It only ever makes sense in the context of a software distribution, and from this point on it's clear GNU isn't part of the OS. Otherwise, you'd have to call your disto Linux/X11/KDE/every package you installed. GNU software isn't special in any way and can be completely replaced. You can use Busybox. You can use other libc's. You can do whatever you want, because Linux is the OS and GNU software is completely inconsequential.

rude

But you can also switch out Linux for another kernel.

No it fucking doesn't, just try watching high bitrate 1080p chinese cartoons on trash hardware.

720p and 1080p make a big difference in terms of playability on old hardware, whereas it doesn't make such a big difference in viewing quality. Especially since anime doesn't include a huge amount of detail most of the time.

You deserve the botnet.

And you deserve systemd up your ass! UwU
haha

I was about to reply but then I realized that would be a wish of good luck coming from you.

720p is fine for new anime. 480p is more than enough for old anime, though, and I would rather watch them on a CRT anyway. Trying to use old hardware as efficiently as possible is fun as well.

Anime is the one true path to enlightenment and freedom.

And then you replied.

Attached: 153.jpg (1280x720, 162.56K)

This was not me. I am not this meanie ok?

No I am the real cuteposter ^.^ Ignore that impersonator, he's n-n-not me! OwO

*giggles* you're so silly!

stop trying to pretend to be me! *pouts*
I'm unique and special, nobody can replicate that! UwU

He's getting old you fucking faggot. At least he has morals, unlike Linus Torvalds.

Oh no! I'm so sad that rms has dementia O_O and mental problems o__o

Heres a question: Where did u get the inspiration to OwOpost?

why would that be "stuck in the past? Did Linux's purpose as a kernel change all of a sudden? Are free software and open source the same now? Are the four freedoms any less relevant?
Keep in mind that 90% of people have no understanding of any of this stuff, so hes trying to spread the message. Its so sad that people dont understand how important software freedom is ;_;

this too.

0_0 you're so c-c-creeeepy! why are you pretending to be m-me? Q_Q i'm s-s-scared...

I would trust Linus more if he abandoned the foundation, but he won't. Apparently he doesn't mind being owned by Microsoft and working with a bunch of Mac users that are exactly the kind of people that you would expect them to be. There is no way he can't see where this is going, so I assume he doesn't care.

So, who replaces him when he dies? soon

How is that last line not making it obvious that he's joking

Im not. u are pretending to me me! >_<
thats ok you're doing a good job of it ^_^

he's not. stallman.org/articles/texas.html

> This. You could theoretically use a bootloader like syslinux as a shell, just passing an `init=` parameter to the kernel to run your programs, then rebooting.
You are proving the point of the people who say that Linux is not an OS. Linux is just a component for an OS (a very big and important one though), and you still need to add things to complete it. Even if "things" consists of a just a bootloader. And if you add GNU to Linux it's GNU/Linux, if you add syslinux it's syslinux/Linux. No one said that GNU was somehow sacred and couldn't be substituted. In the same way you could also combine GNU with another kernel, like GNU/Darwin or GNU/Hurd (which I guess would be just the GNU operating system then).

package you installed.
X11 and KDE are not required for a complete operating system, but you need to add something to Linux to be a complete OS.

No one said you cannot, you can also use GNU without Linux. The point is that if and when you combine these exact two together the correct name is GNU/Linux.

No fair! >_< That tripcode's f-fake!

I combine GNU and linux.
What happen if I add systemd.
Is it not a gnu linux anymore.
Is it become a gnu systemd linux.
You fooooooool.
No I am not pajeet.