Electronics-recycling innovator is going to prison for trying to extend computers' lives

Electronics-recycling innovator is going to prison for trying to extend computers' lives

TLDR: Califaggot made a bunch of discs that give you a fresh install of Windows, and only work with a valid copy of Windows, because tech illiterate normalfags can fix their PCs at no cost, gets sued and sent to jail

latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-microsoft-copyright-20180426-story.html
archive.is/oqfhb

Attached: 39ffb2cf678b1fda2ac069cb16df9b29df9bcf49495c39c7f97d8e65a050527b.webm (1400x787 2.62 MB, 178.63K)

You own nothing, goy.

He looks like a massive faggot

What's with that video, what does it have to do with anything?

Well going to jail for this is absolute madness but Microsoft is in it's right to prosecute him, the EULA clearly states it.
It's illegal to sell a already used/old computer with a Windows license because a windows license is only legally valid to it's first user.
Even tho the guy is a total fag he doesn't deserve to go to jail for this, maybe a small fine or a mandatory uninstalling windows on the PCs customers but not jail.
Install Gentoo.

Using Windows is a crime.

I could have saved you. I told you about the dangers of Proprietary Software but you looked away. Why didn't you listen. Now you pay the price. But don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Attached: Richard_Stallman_01.jpg (1280x853, 113.59K)

protip: making a business out of unauthorized distribution of software will take you to court

Attached: court_evidence_lundgren_cd.png (648x654, 54.59K)

He could've avoided this by installing GNU/Linux. Now we wait for the same mistake to crop up again, but this time it's somebody trying to extend an old Apple or restore an Amiga, NEXT, BEOS, Solaris, UNIX etc. for nostalgia.

The last time I read a Windows EULA, it said that the software was licensed for the computer, not user. Also, just because software is licensed for that computer doesn't mean a user is required to have it installed.

How are these CD-ROM's not legal backup copies? It would be interesting to see what his lawyer(s) and the prosecution said in argument. Also, how was this a criminal proceeding? Microsoft can't sue for criminal punishment.

Yakuza watching death.

Because they aren't backup copies. This is proprietary software being shared without an agreement from Microsoft. Now go back to where you came from >>>/reddit/

Like said it's because to make a copy you need MS to give you permission to do so.
It's in the EULA.

How are they not backup copies?

You already have permission to make copies for backup purposes.

do you just keep reposting this shitty thread forever until people start a fundraiser for him or something?
HE ISN'T "ELECTRONICS RECYCLING INNOVATOR, HE DIDN'T INNOVATE ANYTHING

HE IS JUST RESELLING SOFTWARE FOR PURPOSE OF HIS OWN PROFIT, HE ISN'T PHILANTROPIST

To be backup copies the END USER WOULD HAVE NEED TO HAVE COPIED THEM.
IT ONLY APPLIES TO END USERS

A lot of Microsoft shills here.

It only applies to individuals. You can't make mass copies of Windows binaries, distribute them and say: "Those thousands of copies were all necessary for my PC in case it breaks and I totally haven't sold them"
tl;dr you can't distribute your fucking thousands of backup copies of copyrighted content.
a backup copy isn't something you make just to give it to all your friends instead

the restore discs are free to download
and can only be used if you already have a license

It's still copyrighted content of which they don't have the copyright. The download version is still distribution and thus disallowed.
freeware != free as beer software

Attached: shut-up-richard.mp4 (1280x720, 611.29K)

So, he's an idiot.
I don't see the problem with this.

Attached: 6c3916f2e45ff0360c6f675c75d73c0f4fd0157867092f96753ec28d1f0ed37f.jpg (604x403, 50.27K)

God damn these ki--
Oh wait, HE is the kike. Good riddance, then.

All he had to do is to install linux.

I get the intention so that's pretty cool of him 'reviving computers' but why did he have to redistribute IP protected content? Is he 38-year old or something?
It's a "restore disk" but you gotta have OEM rights for that and official refurbishing rights too if you plan on reselling refurbished items with microshit.

harsh punishment, but it also seems like a really stupid thing to do in the first place. what's the innovative thing he did?