Nebulet: a microkernel that implements a WebAssembly "usermode" that runs in Ring 0

github.com/nebulet/nebulet

Why aren't you running a WebAssembly microkernel yet, Zig Forums?

Attached: smug_anime_girl.png (740x720, 655.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xVxNgE1chl4
draketo.de/english/free-software/howto-hurd-140-chars
youtube.com/watch?v=3oD8tj3eBls
github.com/minexew/Shrine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No thanks fam, I'll go instead with TempleOS and his own low bandwitdth RS-232 network.
youtube.com/watch?v=xVxNgE1chl4

Attached: cyberpunk terry.jpg (1637x921, 154.64K)

so he will finally implement networking in templeos? i'll fucking switch to it if that's the case. it might be the most secure piece of software ever made. nobody would be autistic enough to write a virus in HolyC (except Terry, but he is a good person).

Essentially it is statically compiling everything using websassembly in rust and running it at ring-0. We might as well go back to having the application designer bundle drivers for all the hardware in their program. Granted it is as secure as the rust language allows it to be but still. What could possibly go wrong?

Attached: c805d2b3638862bf7099999b7649ec760c17b18a776c8223b4a3667b4e98dfb6.png (656x435, 339.32K)

Is this really the kind of direction software is heading?

Attached: ffe8514ea6d884b614c003d1d99e01c56e80a523a31ca8d6272d853f0e0a9eea.jpg (596x600, 66.73K)

Interesting software....if it was of network.
You've got to be insane to shill web assembly as secure same thing for rust.
The only way to have something close to secure software is to have secure hardware which is something that does not exist (beside talos II).

Except other schizophrenic people who took control over temple os.

Web assembly is shilled by google and MS their project is to migrate every function a OS as into the cloud.tm.

B-but user, why would you keep your files on your hard drive? They are protected from theft and corruption on the cloud(tm)! Also hard drives and sdds will be antics in the future! Why would you use such an old technology? Are you a pedo, user? Or a terrorist? Why would you have something to hide?

I do vhdl everyday, take your over abstracted shit safe space tier meme language somewhere else.

He talks a little about it in that video. His concept is something completely separate from the Internet tnough, not something you'd use to browse websites on.
As far as virus go, those weren't such a big deal in the old days when you didn't have lots of devices vulnerable to firmware exploit. I once got the Stoned virus on my Amiga 500. Big deal, I simply shut off my computer before using any other floppy disks. It was pretty easy to keep nasty things contained that way. And if I had a virus scanner, it would have probably cleaned that floppy, but those days I didn't even have a modem. It was a game disk someone gave me, which was my usual method to get software besides buying it from the store. But the store didn't have everything, so...

How the fuck does webassembly even work?
Is it compatible across different architectures with different assembly?

Just like javascript.
Yes, just like javascript.
Webassembly is just javascript Electric Boogaloo but with even more intention of removing the web and control over other peoples computer.

m-my microkernel-loving side is saying "OMG I WANT!!"
my (((web technology))) hating side is saying "STAY AWAY!!"

-_-

Attached: nj23dj6pNp1u7hrxbo1.jpg (500x500, 68.82K)

If you want microkernels see:
draketo.de/english/free-software/howto-hurd-140-chars

hurd is dead, user..

furfags out

What is the point of this? If you want to be portable, just distribute the source code.

There's fork of it with networking: youtube.com/watch?v=3oD8tj3eBls

Oh boy.

Oh yeah. Finally instruction set without that horrible HAXME $l1488t instruction.

But sarcasm aside, that's quite good project for student's first low-level work

Attached: 1439771634976.png (640x480, 420.37K)

Attached: the tormented dead.webm (406x720, 402.18K)

Except it is still vulnerable to Spectre-class exploits for private data exfiltration, and now you've moved everything into the same address space so all of the data in working memory is available. Nice toy, but it's got 20+ years of processors that it shouldn't be run on.

If it weren't for side-channel attacks this would be a good idea.

WebAssembly is a synthesis of PNaCl (Portable Native Client), a Google project to run native code in Chrome, and asm.js, a subset of JS that can be compiled to native code. It's never been described this way officially, but that's how it evolved.

PNaCl was designed with security in mind. NaCl was a subset of x86 (if I recall correctly) that was sandboxable, and I think PNaCl was the same for LLVM IR. WebAssembly is similarly designed so that it can safely be compiled to native code. The safety comes from the limited and precisely defined semantics of WebAssembly.

Apart from correctness of the implementation of WebAssembly there are two other problems. The minor problem is that it is easier to target CPU bugs because WebAssembly will map closely to CPU instructions (it was designed to) so someone who knows a CPU bug could invoke it with WebAssembly. I thought I saw this done in practice but I couldn't find the link.

The major problem is side channel attacks. I don't see how you can avoid them without some kind of hardware support. Spectre/Meltdown expose weaknesses in the hardware isolation of processes, but nebulet won't use any hardware isolation, so it will have to do all the work of prevent side channel attacks in software. Since people have relied on (imperfect) hardware isolation for so long I doubt nebulet will be able to solve this problem on their own.

You mean "antiques". Also you are officially too stupid to post on Zig Forums, please leave now

This actually sounds interesting, worth the developments. Is this probably how distributed OS may look like in the future? Since everyone and their dog is fatally attached to the concept of WEB APP? Maybe it will flop so hard people will actually want to try something simple, like Inferno.

but why

applications ... on THE WEB

Whoops meant to link github.com/minexew/Shrine

Believe it or not, antics are a real thing!

TCP/IP on a ring-0 only OS running on botnet hardware sounds like a bad idea. There's already instances of malware hidding itself in HDD firmware (Kaspersky found it some years ago). It's just a big can of worms to open. If this was early 90's hardware, it would probably be ok.

Attached: cover.JPG (458x614, 110.91K)

what a stink

Good summary.
Javascript was a mistake.
Webassembly is that mistake, fully weaponized.

"safely compiled to native code"
Fucking hilarious.

Tohsaka Rin pleases young boys for free.

You're advocating for security through obscurity. Stop that.

More like security through simplicity and smallest possible codebase. Basically the opposite of "modern" design where they pile on more and more code to deal with inherent design issues, including ones in the C language itself.
But that said, Terry isn't going for TCP/IP. He wants something a lot simpler.

I like the idea he's got but I want to see it developed further before I hop on board. If it goes anywhere useful I'll dedicate an old machine to templeOS shitposting

Sometimes I think I made the wrong decisions and should have devoted more time to javascript and learning how to churn out shitty websites using wordpress. Every "webdev" I've met IRL knows nothing beyond Wordpress. Those people are the worst because they constantly talk about their jobs and say buzzwords in an attempt to impress normalfags that buy it hook, line, and sinker.
Because Jon is a faggot that doesn't know HTML and only has his job because his boss is fucking him in the ass. That's why. Modern webdev is truly a faggot's paradise.

Attached: altright_anime.png (600x260, 65.71K)

UTTERLY... FUCKING...
degenerate

nice, WASM in ring 0, just what we needed

DEGENERATE

I wondered when the singularity os concept would be revisited. Using web assembly allows them to reuse quite a bit of infrastructure, although it feels downright disgusting

Attached: 241418fda1b3969479f96071b7d6a49aa852620e1623d503bb73952c0f9abac5.gif (500x221, 980.87K)

what am i reading?