We need to stop having fun, take everything seriously and personal

This is what happens when people take shitpost seriously:
media.libreplanet.org/mgoblin_media/media_entries/2056/morgan-gangwere-dark_side_of_free_software_communities_slides.pdf
I found this gem here:
octodon.social/@cwebber/100158719860732058
social.heldscal.la/notice/7678947

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.freebsd.org/threads/27558/
archive.org/details/IndustrialSocietyAndItsFuture-TheUnabombersManifesto
github.com/pmjones/conquest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If the coding skills of Indian web developers are any indication, then yes.

What a travesty!

How can people seriously expect the entire world to be their support at beck and call? So self centered and inconsiderate of the person on the other end. Calling someone a shithead when they're trying to help a stranger, when that stranger is being a shithead themselves. But place the fault on them. Ludicrous.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-06-08 21-14-18.png (631x502 174.64 KB, 184.35K)

Everyone quick! I want to know how SMP schedulers work!? A little HELP PLEASE!!!!???

KILL YOURSELF TO DEATH >:^(

Okay that's like 30 seconds and NO ONE has helped me. You're all shitlords. Now I know a small bit about what it feels like for my LGBTQPBBQ biracial othergendered friends!

I can't explain it without being offensive, please share your pronouns with me.

install gentoo

>

Fee/Fi/Fo/Fum
>

I don't think all the things in that slideshow are fundamentally bad, bet the author regresses into the same condescending, liberal logic that fails to realize humor and antagonism are precisely the thing that humanizes one another. They're like that white guy who thinks minorities should be respected and we should feign ignorance to stereotypes, when most well-intentioned minorities are more than eager to make fun of those stereotypes; the latter is founded on the premise that those prejudices are true while the latter is far more liberating.

You're othering me, just because I don't have the brains to install gentoo. All I wanted was a simple explanation for how SMP works at the hardware and software level, with an emphasis on high speed schedulers that limit hazards in microprocessors. And you little shits just keep putting me down.

What a fucking CoCsucka.

Attached: coc privilege.png (1458x1170, 209.51K)

I NEEEEEED a COC or else it's IMPOSSIBLE TO PROGRAM!!!!! AAAAAH!

Oh CoC's need to be re-evaluated alright.
At my place

Masters n slaves.

well hopefully now all the fake engineers start writing these pretentious slides about CoC now instead of pretending to be about something useful so we waste less of our time going through them (not that i've read any engineering bullshit on the internet for a few years)

what the fuck am i reading tho

i can't tell where the irony is supposed to start or end and dont have time to read more than a slide or two. the fact that people think stallman is radical is proof that there is no free speech in the west. if someone did something just barely "radical", such as disclosing masses of vulns in software to prove how shit it is, they'd be v& instantly, regardless of what laws the west pretends to have

Tbh I mostly agree with his slides except with his conclusion about CoCs and memes being bad.

The author didn't even say or imply ANY of that.

This is the most pathetic thing I've read in a long time. The baddies are Linus, RMS, Theo and ESR. Fuck me if that doesn't tell you exactly what kind of faggots these are.

lmfao

whoops, left trip on, wew

He did say that
He did not say that

The image literally quotes the guy calling people on IRC shitheads for not helping him.

The image literally quotes the guy calling people on IRC shitheads for insulting him and calling him a liar. Faggots who think they know better what others actually want are shitheads. They're useless, they waste everyone's time including their own.

lol faggots, who cares

I don't know what they teach you in a "communication" degree, but it cannot be worth shit if you cannot tell the difference between a chat like IRC and a forum like Reddit. Chats are for, well chatting, duh. You cannot expect a comprehensive response from a chat room, and most of the people in the room are actually away from the machine or doing something else. By the time they get to read the chat your message is long gone. On the other hand, forum posts can contain larger posts, are preserved and are suitable for actual discussions. So of course you will get a better response from Reddit.

But Stallman is radical. There is nothing wrong with being radical in itself; I am a radical in my belief that running over people with your car is unacceptable. Yes, most people would agree with that sentiment, but lack of popularity is not what makes you radical, it is the firmness with which you hold your belief. You are not a radical believer that running people over with your car is unacceptable, then you are someone who is willing to turn a blind eye or think that running people over is not something you would do, but you don't want to impose your morals on other people, or some weak shit like that.

In the same way, Stallman is radical about Free Software, he absolutely refuses it. Most people here tolerate proprietary software to some extent: we play non-Free games, have non-Free divers, run non-Free JavaScript; just a little bit of proprietary software won't hurt, right? So we are not radicals.

The problem with most CoCs is that they have an impressive length, but they lack the strong firmness of a real legal document. They are floppy and soft, while a real CoC would be maybe a bit shorter, but it would get you to the point much quicker. So always remember, it's not about the size of your CoC, it about how you write it.

Here, have an example. Every time I'm looking up how to remove a user's password on freebsd without locking the account (to use sudo or doas instead) I'm stumbling over this thread: forums.freebsd.org/threads/27558/

He uses proprietary software. So fucking what? Might as well bully him for random shit.
>

You're the textbook retard who needs to be told to fuck off for the good of any community. You don't belong. Get over it.

I agree with you in part. It's true that many people aspire to use free software and do their best to do so, and it's very obnoxious that some one who feels no shame in using proprietary software sees himself in the same category as people who are trying their Goddamn best not to use proprietary software, but he's right in the sense that we're all using proprietary something, whether that be your bios, the firmware in a router, or, more commonly, we need proprietary drivers because we're stuck with shitty computers.

I hate these whiny macbook hipsters who abuse our trust and try to force their way into free software circles that they're one and the same, but I'm also not fond of elitism, because it implies that we can't aspire to be better.

Please elaborate. Am I not elitist enough? Do I not give enough fucks to circlejerk here? There's nothing wrong with my gentoo installation, do you want me to install it again?

You can 100% ignore this retard. I especially like the comparison to medicine because it's similar to IT in many ways. Like IT, you have literally thousands of completely clueless people asking you stupid questions on a daily basis and those people can be difficult and sometimes entitled and they may refuse to listen to your advice because they have the freedom to be retarded. However, there are important differences.

Unlike IT, medical professionals are getting paid handsomely for their work. They're also respected and trusted professionals who are valued pretty much everywhere they go in any society and in any country. People are actually thankful when a doctor successfully helps them, because the patient-doctor relationship is a personal one, quite unlike that of some service man. Trust me, all these factors do wonders for their ability to put up with complete morons every single day of their lives. No, they aren't doing this to "help people" -- that kind of idealism gets killed by the medical school itself due to the brutal training requirements and work hours.

IT support professionals don't get paid well. They aren't respected: they're quite literally the lowest level position in the hierarchy. They're treated like uneducated monkeys. Nobody fucking cares about support staff, but those that get paid still smile and do their job anyways because they probably need the money. The IRC people are not getting paid. They're putting their own time into these projects, and they have absolutely zero obligation to anyone who enters the IRC chat room.

Doctors provide specialized expertise that's vital for any community. People are going to fucking die needlessly if doctors aren't around. Even when doctors go on strike, at least some of them must keep working in emergency services because otherwise people are going to fucking die because someone had a heart attack and there was no one there at the hospital to handle it. What happens when a moron doesn't get the help he needs on IRC? Worst case he gets fired for being an incompetent fuck who expects unpaid volunteer workers to do his job for him and cater to his special needs. Yet this moron thinks his little request has the same urgency and importance as life-saving surgery performed by a completely different class of professionals.

Don't listen to this shit. Just work on whatever you want to work on and do whatever you want to do. Help others if you want, but you're under absolutely no obligation to do so. They can complain about how you aren't meeting their expectations when they start paying you for your work. Free software isn't used because "hurr community", it's used because it's better. People merge hardware code into Linux because their customers need that shit and they're going to be left behind if they don't. It's just moronic to think these people have any sort of leverage over you.

wait you actually installed gentoo? lol

No one's forcing you to reply to anybody on IRC. So why freak out about people who ask in a place that's there for asking?

You didn't? I've never had a more reliable and comfy distro.

What are you complaining about again?

Nobody's forcing anyone not to reply either. Maybe they thought it was stupid and decided to laugh at him. There's no professionalism here.

Part 1/4
Kek if this guy see this thread I bet that he'll think that it just proves is point.
P6
It implies that he show/has compassion for others.
P7
This is not correct libre planet as it fair share of CIA, NSA, google and facebook agents among other people who use Free software as a puppet to push their agenda.
P9
Ah yes I bet that he stumbled onto people who disagreed with him for using proprietary software. It's not a bad thing if these people did not exist free software wouldn't be very much used. What's a bad thing tho is people who go full retard on the subject and highlighting these people is not going to help.
P10
Lot's of these are botnet I wouldn't recommend them but it's your choice after all I would just ask you to not promote them as much as possible. A lot of these are avoidable nowadays.
P13
SOFTWARE IS PEOPLE
This is a fallacious reasoning, free software is made or used by people, it's a tool nothing more nothing else all tools influence people.
P14
This is kinda a freaky/cult like way of thinking
P15
Yes and how we react to it matters as much.
Then maybe that person shouldn't react like that, I mean what kind of a reasonable man would go away after only one experience.
This is true.
Not really, we should remember more of that history because nowadays is really shit compared to the old times. Even tho the results nowadays shows that it just works.
P16
Nothing new, it takes a whole life to build a reputation and a few minutes to destroy it.

Or how about people learn to figure some things out on their own without requiring spoon feeding. Just because some government initiative bought little black you a computer, doesn't mean everyone else has to stop what they're doing because you're not competent enough to learn how to use it.

2/4
P18/19
Oh no! someone capped a conversation on twitter instead of giving the links to the mailing list I wonder where this is going.
If true maybe the BSD guys did not know on how to configure what he asked, maybe Gravis didn't have any luck that one time and stumbled onto stupid people, or maybe Gravis is a victimfaggot and interpreted everything he was told as a aggression, we can't know since we don't have the links to the thread.
P22
Maybe Gravis was wrong ?
Maybe Gravis expressed himself badly ? (poe's law)
Maybe the guys who responded to Gravis didn't express themselves correctly ? (poe's law)
Only unreasonable people would make such reflection.
P23
That is true a lot of people are dicks on both sides.
P24
Proof that again poe's law strikes against autistic people.
P25
Another wrong reasoning.
Please repertory small projects where no abuse occurs.
Like said in the article it's "often" not 100% of the time and the often part is just her interpretation not a true statement all the time.
And water is wet, but it's certainly not how reasonable people should behave.
P26
This implies that free will doesn't exist.
Yes I love Torvalds I love such much him for sucking Microsafts CoC every day and inserting blobs all the time in the kernel, bullshit aside I agree with torvalds on how he manages his community at least it was subverted into a hug space that banned hugs, he could be less rude tho.
RMS a Radical ?
Raymond a cult guy ?
De Raadt abusive ? Ok he goes full retards from time to time be otherwise he's ok.
results.
Maybe they self perpetuate because they are right ?
being nice.
That is true for journalism and what the fuck does that have to do with the subject ?

P27
It's a memes, memes are here to exaggerate something false or true whether the people who made it believes in it or not, it's joke not something else.Btw there's shit tons of RMS memes who aren't depicting him as the next Stalin.

P28
That's a bad thing ?
Ability/knowledge/skillset can be learned thus a bad reason, time is a problem tho.
Most of them are lazy and do not know how to use their own computer, they just memorized the pattern that they think is good and do that for the rest of their lives without changing.
That is a badly made example. Most users can't even understand their own folder trees.
What a load of bullshit I've discussed with a lot of FSF people and never I have seen someone who disdained users who did not know something..
P29
Same as P27 it's a meme.
P30
Going on Know you Meme doesn't make you smarter.
P31
Another bad example made in this page because of cherry picking. Students have the control of their own choice of software except if they are forced to do so by a school or work etc... Promoting the use of Libre Office can be done in many ways people who do that badly happens just like when done correctly.

Part 3/4
P32
It's a meme, it's joke, gentoo as a bad manual for beginners imo.
Does this guy use systemd ?
P33
After going after free speech people go against right speech ?
Maybe this guy should go on the old tech usenet discussions he'll see why correctly expressing ideas and thoughts are important.
Language evolves slowly otherwise everything is going out of control, what does people don't own it means ?
P35
Oh boy
P36
That Gravis is the only source of this docuement ?
P37

Maybe he should think of how not putting everybody in the same basket.

With that sort of reasoning everybody in Zig Forums need to get a psychiatrist diploma.... or just not be a dick and say that they can't help someone when the can't.

Part 4/4
P38
By providing free software ?
False.
False.
False
P39
I'll give benefit of the doubt so why not.
P41/42
Yes
Yes
Wasn't witch hunting bad ?
If there's a good reason for it then no.
Shall I Deflower all emacs virgin ?
P43
GNO!
No they don't the scope of your project, they define the behavior tolerated or not in them, what defines the scope of the project is the project itself.
P44
So I'll avoid anyone who proposes cocs
P45
TOP KEK
In this whole document the creator assumed that everything in GNU/linux communities are bad.
P50
And have no fun ?
I don't agree

TL;DR he's perfect and the people he's with are perfect everybody else are the problem, there's no mitigation of who's wrong or right.

and
Obviously.
On a support channel. It seems like they didn't even give him a hint on where to look for a solution. That's missing the point of such an irc channel, isn't it? Not really my problem because I have no intention to go there, but I can see why he's complaining.
Here is not freebsd's irc channel.

The problem is you get people who come to the IRC channel, post the question, expect an immediate response and then bail out. That tends to annoy the crowd of regulars who try to create a community. Sometimes it cannot be helped, but the inquirer should always be respectful of everyone else's time.

No, it's the actions that you take for your belief that defines if you are a radical or not.
If I began to go unabomber because people should be allowed to run over people then yes I am a radical.
If I began to dedicate my life to peacefully discuss with people and create a movement so that they can use their computer in total freedom then I'm not a radical.
So RMS is a radical because of IS own choice that he imposes upon himself ?
Not only CoCs are legally not enforceable but most of what is put in them are already in the law.

He asked a question that wasn't clear from the beginning. the people asked for questions, they were very polite btw, and he didn't respond fast enough.

The "True Scotsman" thing exist and is not a fallacy, it basically means that if you aren't one of us then you are against us.

It's bad for him.
Who said anything about bullying ? Plus nowadays almost everything can be done of a GNU/linux distribution, except of course when your environment forces you to do otherwise.
It's a meme.

He's partly right tho.

It may have been a support channel once, but as time goes by all places become social hangouts for the regulars. Yes, even this place, despite the anonymity. This phenomenon has been known for decades.

The guy I was replying to.

If I remember correctly they have channels for all purposes, including socializing/offtopic and dev. I doubt he asked there, but it's possible.

Sorry I didn't understood that. Well by the nature of proprietary software it does enforce people to do thing one way and not another.

Or maybe he didn't have luck and all the good moderators or people were sleeping or did just have a bad day.

What you're referring to as "GNU" is a bunch of sort of different operating systems that usually share some important programs (although not always), such as systemd or GCC. They're sort of compatible (they might even be POSIX compatible, not that it means much nowadays), but the major distributions are not package compatible, so targeting "GNU" as a developer is a horrible pain in the ass if you plan to widely distribute a pre-built program. Actually, they're not even compatible between distro versions of the same distro, so you have to build for every version of each distro still in use. There is finally some real progress on this problem that was considered not-a-problem for a very long time, despite the fact that major distributions were fouling up their repositories and making increasingly inane decisions, such as the Debian libav debacle. Its still far from being totally solved, and the package managers are all still very incompatible and shitty. In the end I think Nix and Guix will be completely ignored, everyone will be forced to use Flatpak as some shitty distro independent package manager since Canonical decided to make their solution depend on systemd and the rest will have to be done with Appimage. Oh yes, and the Wayland rollout will be delayed quite a bit because guess what, every DE will be busy re-implementing crap just for Wayland, seperately. And then every X program has to be ported to Wayland to avoid reduced peformance, although I guess some people will settle for a crutch and a limp...
A lot of programs are also simply second class on so-called "GNU", last I checked Firefox doesn't even have hardware accelerated HTML5 video yet. The solution for autists is to download every video they want to watch with a command line program that has to be updated regularly to not break since Youtube is a website for streaming videos and not a video repository. Youtube-dl is one of the nicer CLI programs but you're not going to get someone normal using it. Normal human beings will see Firefox without hardware acceleration, KDE taking over a planet sized space on disk and in main memory with its mostly horrible programs, shitty file picker in GTK programs, LXDE being less usable than Windows 9x's DE, no easy universal binaries, and will return to whatever they were using.
As for Linux, its a decent kernel except that the ad-hoc solution for distributing drivers adopted by various distros (just build kernels with all available drivers in existence) doesn't seem to be sustainable. The solution is to either a: introduce users to the horrible driver installation process on GNU/Linux, in which case this crusade to make people use GNU/Linux on a personal computer is over, or b: start removing drivers that are not commonly used when building the Linux kernel for Ubuntu or whatever, which is just delaying part a for x years, where x is the number of years until every driver is commonly used and nothing can be removed.

Attached: install linux, get GNU Linux.png (1012x775, 141.79K)

A brief

How would this be painful? Their package manager can just download the kernel module and then modprobe it. Most of the time you wouldn't even need to restart your computer to use it.

Oops, now you need an internet connection, or the kernel modules locally available somehow, on a CD/USB drive/whatever. There goes another touted feature, that was short lived.
I doubt the quality of Canonical/Red Hat shitware, it'll probably fail eventually and then someone is going to have to use modprobe directly.

GANG

I think you just have a mental block where you worry over aesthetics. Stallman is radical in the same way that the Unabomber is radical. Absolute refusal in proprietary software and absolute refusal in technological advancement and it's effects on society with no concessions. Tbh I do think Stallman should make a vanguard and set out to murder the CEO's of google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, etc. as a logical end to his devotion.

Well, the new arrivals from /g/ and Zig Forums in the last two years, yes. Probably one of the reasons why I left this place.
No, it does.

Attached: bd6f9baa7f3ed6d388674a6903ac65c914309684f87239d71b5be6f5b9520a48.jpg (255x218, 19.57K)

how the fuck would you have installed the OS in the first place then? How would you have gotten the iso image for the flash drive?

and the coreutils, and the other shell utilities, and pretty much all the DEs and WMs, and more stuff than I could bother to mention.
It doesn't? I didn't notice because i'm not autistic enough to care.
Are you in favor of sticking with X11, despite its flaws that prompted the creation of Wayland, or is this more like voicing frustration with the development speed of Wayland? No wrong answer here. Just curious.
This wouldn't be a problem if it was a microkernel. Sadly Linus didn't keep that design choice from MINIX.

You can also download it from a local storage medium. If you don't want to bundle it, then don't be mad when they aren't bundled.
We are talking about pass tense, not future tense.

*past

An official distribution DVD or just being in some place without (reliable) internet connection.
To be honest, the "Linux ecosystem" is far less intuitive and is more freedom-restricting for fresh-off windows user, installing software from external disks, running portable versions of software from flash drives, programs that keep their shit in their own directory, running different versions of same software, and not the latest bloated one available in the repository the arch way, duh!, 9-year LTS cycle, never having dependency hell was convenient. The transit was especially hard for me, five years ago when I didn't know that if you download the default debian image, it won't have proprietary firmwares, and therefore - wifi drivers just because of some arbitrary definition of "freedom" that still doesn't complies with Stallman's view of freedom, and in order to download the "cursed" non-free image you have to lurk through their website hyperlinks instead of finding it next to "free" download links. I didn't know that gentoo is a hobbyist distro for server maniacs who like compiling their shit for 2% performance benefits are only worth on highly resource-strained embedded system, so I had to leave my poor laptop compiling over night to find out sound doesn't work because I forgot to tick the sound card in menuconfig and there was no bundled script that would simply identify the hardware and compile just the right shit for me.

these are valid complaints and could all be easily addressed if the community put their boots to work

Speak for yourself you pathetic fucking mong, I'm running trisquel on a libreboot nigga. I bet you rock that uefi windows 10 shit, with those HOMO rainbow lights.

Hey buddy, I think you've got the wrong door, the /g/ club's four chans down.

holy shit, are they just trolling or are they actually braindead?

I'm not reading that.

what?

Isn't Ted anti-technology?
archive.org/details/IndustrialSocietyAndItsFuture-TheUnabombersManifesto

We need ESR to fuck this bitch up

I thought you're talking about RMS.

Why not just make a CoC that is anti-left?
github.com/pmjones/conquest did an okay example, except the >Fascism part.

why?

2 edgy 4 me tbhfamalama

Because pic related. Also lurk moar on >>>Zig Forums

Attached: 1457461380485.png (824x1236 1.17 MB, 901.79K)

Zig Forums is Zig Forums - The imageboard. So enjoy your stay

It wasn't like this before.

It was like this... since 2014. Four years since GG.
Now the roach ImKampfy is dead, all of Zig Forums is going full force.
Be ready, Zig Forums. They will ask you for an engima machine.

No. Maybe /v/ was like that, but fuck off.
Also it's hilarious how you still want to hold on to a cracked cipher for so long.

I meant that they will want Zig Forums to custom bake software for their usage. "Enigma" is mere poetry.
On a serious note it took one and a half years (ending in late 2009) to crack an M4 cipher.

Oh, well then they're not getting it, and all the Zig Forumsacks autisticly screeching on Zig Forums are retarded and all they could think of are jews. So even if they want to make a new encryption algorithm they could not do it in any way shape or form.

You are really underestimating their autism... even in /hwndu/ and /redstick/.

Everything about that CoC is full of edge, not just the fascism part. You're needlessly worrying about one of (((their))) concepts, you're basing your personal choices on that. You're giving way too much fucks. You think you're free(ing yourself), but in fact they already poisoned your mind.

Are you saying the CoC is a Jewish Trick? Because "Classical Liberal" sounds odd (a bad compromise at that).
So how do you write an "SJW STFU" rule?

This particular one? Probably not. It's not the person behind the text that counts, it's what this will achieve. By using this CoC you're giving yourself an edgelord branding, and a very political one at that. That kid, you know? This is not going to help anyone, it will just make you waste your time on a pointless CoC and a project that's slightly less attractive to most contributors that a project that doesn't have a CoC at all.

You don't need a CoC. You accept good contributions from anyone and kick the subversives out.

s/that a project/than a project/

So Gestapo tactic instead of Nuremberg? Got it.
I know this is how Linus Torvalds roll. Aryans know

By autism in this context meaning retardation then yes I am underestimating them.

THE OPEN SOURCE COMMUNITEEEEEEEEEE

The constraint of peoples freedoms is aesthetics ?
? RMS does not want no technological advancement like the unabomber.
Unabomber:
RMS:
Don't you see the difference ?
One is reasonable the other isn't.

kek these images are as fallacious as what they are trying to counter.

Not even close, in 99% of all these case people throw themselves away, Torvalds just refuses code or responded to an email showing the bullshit of the said poster.

Trust me, you really don't want to deal with that. They're almost always extremely bad software that will screw up your system. Even the epitome of non-free drivers, the nvidia one, would constantly corrupt the graphics and crash my X. All my problems just went away once I installed nouveau. Nvidia replaces all the perfectly good and stable kernel graphics infrastructure with its own unstable hand-rolled crap, bypassing man-years of progress in this area. All for the sake of some hardware accelerstion.

Free software isn't used because of muh freedoms, its because its straight up better. Free drivers literally live in the kernel mainline, are maintained by kernel developers and are constantly adapting to the kernel's improvements and changes. The kernel is far more important than these special snowflake companies and it will outlive them all. The development gets faster and faster every year, with tens of patches coming in every single hour and increasing each year. The question then becomes: for how long can nvidia keep up? These people had better open source their shit and merge it into the kernel -- or be left behind. The hardware companies that do this will enjoy exceptional support, while the ones that don't are pretty much toys.

Nerds are just communists. They literally want ESR jailed because he said some mean (and retarded) shit on the internet. He's a nobody. They want him jailed simply because he's popular and rude. They usually wont explicity say they want him jailed, but that's obviously what they want from how they talk about the subject. They use terms like "toxic" to try and subtly push forward their agenda, much like how the word "kulak" was introduced in the Soviet Union. In fact it's the exact same thing, just on a lesser scale. It's just an arbitrary class that they can use emotional rhetoric to move people into. The next step is to treat different classes differently, legally.

Did you misunderstand me ?

You know what's great? I actually agree with this guy. I'm going to only contribute to projects that have a CoC just to trigger you nazi fucks. Literally all the CoC is saying is "treat your fellow human beings like human beings". That's it. Yet you racist edgelords find some issue with this because "muh code speaks for itself". Can you say socially stunted?

No one cares.