The Linux Foundation officially endorses Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub

By Brian Fagioli

The world is crazy right now. We have a reality TV star in the White House, and day after day, there are unbelievable things being reported in the news. Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming, but sadly, this is real life. Try as I might, I can't wake up.

You know what else is crazy? The Linux Foundation is officially endorsing Microsoft's acquisition of GitHub! OK, maybe that isn't so crazy nowadays, but if you could get in a time machine and go back, say, 10 years, and you told people that not only was Microsoft an official Linux Foundation Member, but the foundation was endorsing the Windows-maker's purchase of a massive repository that hosts millions of open source projects, you'd probably be put in an asylum.

"Should the open source community be concerned? Probably not. Buying GitHub does not mean Microsoft has engaged in some sinister plot to 'own' the more than 70 million open source projects on GitHub. Most of the important projects on GitHub are licensed under an open source license, which addresses intellectual property ownership. The trademark and other IP assets are often owned by a non-profit like The Linux Foundation. And let’s be quite clear -- the hearts and minds of developers are not something one buys -- they are something one earns," says Jim Zemlin, Executive Director, The Linux Foundation.

Zemlin further says, "Why would Microsoft do this? It seems simple to me. Steve Ballmer was half right with his famous 'developers, developers, developers' cheer. He just didn't factor in the 'open source' developers that he famously discounted. Satya Nadella has righted that oversight in a spectacular way this week. Microsoft has always loved developers and wants to make a business of providing developers with great tools in order to help them to create great technology. It is literally their mission on the about page of their web site: 'To empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.' Today more than 28 million of those developers are on GitHub."

While many hardcore Linux and open source purists will decry Zemlin's gushing praise of Microsoft, he isn't wrong here. Look, long gone are the days where Microsoft was the big and scary enemy. As mentioned earlier, the company is now a member of the Linux Foundation -- platinum, no less. Not to mention, there are Linux distros in the Microsoft Store for Windows 10 these days!

Ultimately, Microsoft's money can only make GitHub stronger and better. If you aren't aware, GitHub has never turned a profit -- isn't Microsoft's takeover preferable to the Git repository simply going out of business and disappearing altogether? I'd say yes.

Do you think The Linux Foundation is correct to endorse this acquisition, or has it betrayed both the Linux and open source communities? Please tell me in the comments below.

betanews.com/2018/06/08/linux-foundation-microsoft-github/

Attached: 1ed3dd405e57225c941bbe28d2acdb8eaa4ed8bcdd5d740bc8f23724b96be561.jpg (645x430 46.91 KB, 120.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lwn.net/Articles/738046/
hbr.org/2017/02/the-growing-conflict-of-interest-problem-in-the-u-s-congress
journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0149206316642273
ethics.harvard.edu/blog/relationship-market-how-modern-lobbying-gets-done
archive.fo/bhi8y
8ch.net/who.html
yarchive.net/comp/linux/gcc_vs_kernel_stability.html
help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

based fagioli poster is back

This article is so disturbing yet relevant that it deserves to stay up. Reminder that The Linux Foundation is Microsoft's bitch. And there are also rumors that LF is engaged in a proxy war against the Software Freedom Conservancy using Software Freedom Law Center: lwn.net/Articles/738046/ .

Attached: microsoft-joins-the-linux-foundation.jpg (699x466 199.08 KB, 100.13K)

Microsoft is one of TLF's core sponsors, of course they're going to fucking endorse it. TLF is also full of corporate kikes that don't actually care about free software.

Well microsoft (literally) bought a board seat on the linux foundation so its not a surprise that the foundation supports them.

Why does it disturb you? It's not a surprise that Microsoft is on the board of the Linux Foundation. Github was never a platform that supported free software. Github is a matter of convenience, it's not necessary for any case. All these facts are not meaningful to me, a free software activist who relies on Git, not Github.

Posting in a Fagioli thread.

What disturbs me is not Microsoft's aquisition of GitHub, but LF being (((bought out))) by Microsoft and saying things that reflects poorly on the wider LFOSS community. We need to shun and expose them for the proprietary cocksuckers they are.

Attached: dsc_1576.jpg (720x480, 154.78K)

The Linux Foundation being corrupt as shit is nothing new. Should have been apparent when they were threatening and tone-policing Linus when the SJWs showed up.

Who knew you could buy public interest with lots of capital?!? Surely it hasn't been tried before!
Brb, I have to pick up my speech fees from my lobbying sponsors!
hbr.org/2017/02/the-growing-conflict-of-interest-problem-in-the-u-s-congress
journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0149206316642273
ethics.harvard.edu/blog/relationship-market-how-modern-lobbying-gets-done

>Noticing (((cohencidences))) yet? Still think Torvalds and Zemlin are your "allies"? pic related doesn't look that ironic now, does it?
What coincidence? The Linux team (headed by Torvalds) have never made any commitment to user freedom. The Linux Foundation is just like that, they don't make any commitment to support freedom. That's not a bad thing or a good thing, it's neutral. Microsoft being a part of the Linux Foundation is not a bad thing either. The Linux Foundation's goal is to support the development of Linux which has never been committed to user freedom.

Attached: 67815415710a357c24220d492f091dbd9fa41559b88ffc854155a6db5fcee861.jpg (200x303, 16.34K)

I knew about this years ago and tried to warn people, it all started with the Chinese and Intel interestingly enough.

why did you post a proprietary image format, depicting an excerpt from a proprietary game, from a proprietary system, in a GPL imageboard that likely contains proprietary code, under a proprietary company[1]?

Is private interest not possible for private companies like TLF to allow donations and private members to join them?

Like the old saying:

[1]nttec.com

You can read the format publically and write your own encoder/decoder such as libturbo-jpeg archive.fo/bhi8y
I didn't take the image and therefore never came into contact with said game.
What makes you think I am using a propietary system and not say, a librebooted/corebooted gentoo install?
Prove it contains proprietary code.
You can read all about the company here 8ch.net/who.html

Now all that said, microsoft has a shit history filled with backstabbing and deciet. Them donating to the linux foundation gives them the advantage of having control over it monitarly since the foundation may come to depend on microsoft's donations over time. That is bad because with control microsoft can influence the foundations decisions in favour of keeping the donations coming in.

I call bullshit on this one.

Linus is actually right, at least where Linux is concerned.

The fact is Linux doesn't NEED to enforce GPL. Some hardware makers violated GPL? Big deal. Their devices are toys and will probably die at some point anyway, and they just sped up its death by being second class citizens in Linux. The kernel will outlive them all.

Meanwhile, by not merging their improvements into kernel, they just made their own lives that much harder. You see -- the Linux kernel has a stable user space ABI and that's great because then user space just works. The kerne's internal ABI though is very much unstable by design and that's entirely on purpose: it allows the kernel the freedom to completely re-structure itself and improve infinitely without worrying about breaking drivers and shit. Retards who refuse to merge will have to maintain their shitty kernel forks themselves or be left behind. The Linux maintainers get like 20 patches per hour to review. Can you imagine the workload these morons just created for themselves? It's insane. It's far easier to simply put the code into mainline Linux and have the entire community working with you instead.

Now, these employees come to the LKML and bitch and moan about how they have to work hard to maintain their shit and tell Linus he has to man up and provide a "serious" interface to drivers and provide stability. And his response?

yarchive.net/comp/linux/gcc_vs_kernel_stability.html

>Cry me a river, Jeff.

Absolutely rekt. These morons aren't worth anybody's time. And yes, this means court time. Ain't nobody got time to fuck around presenting cases before goddamn judges for months, sometimes even years. Linux will leave you behind like you weren't even there, and when your shitty is hardware is dead nobody will really give a fuck anyway.

This is FLOSS at it's best. Too big for your faggot ass company to keep up with unless it joins the development effort directly. Too big for your court games. I sure hope whoever comes after Linus Torvalds dies isn't a beta soyboy who'd bend over for corporations like MS does.

I know. Lius needs to leave and rebuild, or he need to purge people in the name of ES Raymond.

Torvalds got his hands tied by (((SJWs))).
Eric S Raymond warned about it.

KISSSAAAAMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Torvalds is well known for explicitly being apolitical. User freedom in software is not an ideal that has any meaning to Torvalds. Linux uses GPL2 not because he believes that users deserve freedom but because GPL2 supports his way of Internet based collaborative software development.

Do you have evidence to support this assertion? I would disagree. I'm fairly certain that he has no problem kicking out a SJW of the LKML who doesn't behave according to Torvald's standards.

I used to hate Fagioli threads, but now I actually look forward to them. Is this what Stockholm syndrome feels like? You've broken me like an animal, OP.

Who cares. Bring more Fagioli.

OP of the Fagioli threads is Fagioli himself.

the absolute fucking madman

TELL ME ABOUT FAGIOLI
WHY DOES HE WORK FOR BETANEWS?

Attached: tellmeaboutbane.jpg (626x323, 24.96K)

A LOT OF LOYALTY, FOR A WINDOWS PRO

Attached: 8c2ad81fcdd2f92105dd4efce0963b9ea37039a5e718df2359c11aef4a5432e6.jpg (600x464, 38.61K)

i like him, he's p.cool and tells it like it is

t. totally not fagioli

lol his name is fag

EEE
Embrace: check
Extend:check
Extinguish: not checked
Open source will be obliterated in a deacade.
Hopefully free software could survive if they get thier shit together.

Attached: d51b54a50d3696afb75294a333a259d8a6029cfed3cc74aa19df139bbee94ea9.jpg (450x617, 54.05K)

who the fuck is fagioli faggots

Note that open source won't disappear, just kill the hacker culture in the community. Open source will be a way for companies to exploit people for free labor.

neo-Zig Forums

First, developers must be Zen towards this news, worry will not bring enlightenment for the situation.
Github was a community tool, it embodied a certain freedom which is now overshadowed by Microsoft's acquisition.
Regardless of Microsoft's past & motivations, developers must not forget they are the ones holding the Grail, they write the code. This is why Microsoft wants their code :)
Code migration is always possible if one feels threatened at some point, and plenty of Github-like services are available for developers. Maybe it's time to wake up and stop giving too much importance to the corporate world and focus on building tools that remain freedom and developer community centric. The corporate feeds on the creativity and dedication of developers let's not forget our place and face corporate greed and stupidity with our collective smarts.

Y

Github had always been proprietary software. It had always been a web frontend of convenience for Git. Nobody needs Github to work.

Well leftism already is killing it you CCCommie. CoC has a thread about it.

This is your problem now.

Github had never been free software. Github is not necessary at all, Github is a matter of convenience.

Doesn't Github have some clause in their TOS stating that they have a right to all software uploaded to the website? If so, then it sounds like Microsoft was looking to buy a few licenses on the cheap...

To be fair, they hadn't changed much at all during Ballmer's tenure. Their Chief Street-Shitting Officer seems to be doing so, though.

help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/
Look at Section D.4 through D.7. They only say they have a right to see it, parse it and show it (so that you can see the code). They can't legally get a right to your intellectual property.

If you really don't understand the damage this will do to Linux as a project in the long term, you might have brain damage.

There will be no long term damage, all damage is local and temporary. Github is nothing. Linux is GPL. Everybody is free to fork it if they want it changed.

This is your problem now.7

What did he mean by this?

Daily reminder it's a matter of years before Windows uses Linux.

I went to plebbit to see what they were up to.
They're advocating people stay on github because "m-microsoft is not that evil g-guise" "pls com back".
These are the same people who allow poetteringware in their distros.

Attached: 1449588890860.png (313x449, 188.47K)

How new are you?

See, there are people guiding GNU/Linux systems in specific directions and people who simply comply.
When you look at how the systemd thing worked out, you see that you're basically right: people made forks and distros with different init systems, but you're also wrong: the people who simply comply are the majority and the forks never became the standard.
Now imagine Microsoft gifts a random open source project that happens to make things easier for their products,may it WSL support, azure crap or whatever - the payed majority will "love“ it and even if distros without Microsoft sponsored product recommendations in grep show up: people will use whats popular.

Microsoft has a huge impact and the Linux foundation already has a Microsoft employee in the leadership. There are LF conferences where Microsoft has the keynote - and people just swallow it.

This is your problem now.

shut the fuck up

(1) The SFC went full SJW retard, and has for some time. Years. (2) The SFLC didn't, but isn't free of its own stupid. (3) The LF reacted, when it was more sane, to protect itself from both (since no one could tell where the crazy was coming from)(Karen Sandler, extortion maintenance fees, Pottering Syndromes).

The GPL, LGPL, v23, CDDL, BSD, et al, never mattered. Not to these players. In the past, and to some battles won and done, there was some substance. But that's been over for some time now, and the true colors of all the above accounts came out years ago.

Don't get confused.

This is your problem now.3