What's the point of jython? Why would someone want to smash these two languages together?

What's the point of jython? Why would someone want to smash these two languages together?

Attached: tmp_24850-jython-new-small291394162.gif (152x50, 4.5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/111080/why-is-java-considered-more-portable-than-other-languages-like-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

so you can use jvm libraries with python syntax

This

Not that surprising.

jvm used to be _the_ way to do MPP. It's nice to be able to use under the hood of your code. These days with mesos and lxc though it's advantages are becoming less significant.

Pythonistas are retarded cultists. That's why.

or
and
Same as any other (especially bytecode) translator/emulator

/thread

We actually use it at work because we want to create new machine learning models in python, but Java is used in production where the models should run. Models can usually be exported in some language agnostic format or can be imported in Java for some python specific frameworks. But the actual feature extraction, scaling of values, preparation etc is usually specific per model, so apparently jython is used as an experimentation for doing that so that you don't have one Java and one python implementation. Since if that step is done wrong, the model is basically broken if values are not correctly prepared. But I feel there must be a better approach, however things like REST API is too slow for the rate that the data come in at.

Just use assembly bro.

Jython doesn't use the Java language, that's just your own confusion. Jython actually uses the Java virtual machine which is a theoretical computer. This computer is theoretical because there aren't really hardware devices that follow the architecture of this Java virtual machine

hurr

Same as IronPython, FAG

Java shops are trapped in a Java ecosystem but hate the verbosity of Java. So they're really into fucking anything which lets them continue to use Java without having to actually use Java.

Java shops are Java-oriented by choice. The real answer is that some devops personnel needs to write code which interfaces with the main application, but there's not a clear separation of concerns because the company was too cheap/small to hire an architect. Enter: Jython.

So you can wait 20 seconds to run your pythong scripts

He's right, though. Java as a language is not the same thing as the JVM. When you use Jython at runtime, it doesn't interact with the Java language at all. It doesn't call javac or touch any Java source code. It interacts with the Java platform.

One more niche is scripting applications with a Java codebase or somehow other deep integration into the Java ecosystem (e.g. RMI interface or XML galore), especially since Jython still only implements the legacy branch of the Python language.

For example, at work I have to deal with proprietary applications running on Oracle WebLogic Server, which uses WLST (Weblogic Scripting Tool) for automation, which is a Jython interpreter that loads a subset of the application server's classpath and declares some domain-specific global objects.
Sadly, their embedded version is stuck at Jython 2.4 with a subset of the standard library, so you still have to script most things around that with the system Python interpreter and shell scripts.

Planned obsolescence.

Can you elaborate?

Reinvent everything and make it so heavy people need more powerful computers to run it.

Have you ever used CPython? It's not exactly speedy.
Not to mention that Jython is squarely aimed at people who are already using the JVM.

...2 weeks later...
Tutorial - How to use garbage collection in jythonC?

hurrr^2

java compiles to a virtual machine
jython compiles to the same virtual machine
jython knows nothing of java. I

ts just the same target "hardware", and libraries are compatible by means of the hardware; not the language.

In the same fashion that python normally calls C binaries, despite not knowing how to parse C code.

They are but at least their language can function. Python is dedicated to extreme whitespace management and "clean"-looking code, and for the most part is succeeds even if it can make retarded choices sometimes and has all the speed of a go-kart towing a trailer full of bricks.
But Javafags are even worse. Their meme language was *the* thing in the 90's. "Wow so clean so easy muh simplicity". Within 5-10 years, it became a bogged-down mess of libraries and dependencies and Python hit the stage.

If you want to let loose and squeeze performance out of your code, C\++ is for you. If you want to do some quick scripting that accomplishes a lot and is easy to read, Python works great. Got little functionality holes in your software you need to fill quickly? Python can fill those gaps until you have time to write something better.
Java? It's a compromise between the two. Not as good at either nor as easy to use. Python is what Java wanted to be, and C++ is better in every way.

Attached: 9c96e149f28c66e743aec10fa8d6c56816f09283cbc073c3037a2c3fd97a2136.png (370x480, 219.15K)

Lol you know nothing about Java, its history, or its use cases.

Serving as a stopgap for companies too cheap to replace their aging infrastructure?
Doesn't work in reality because you need to modify things to get it to work, so you still need to make manual tweaks.
GCC does a better job of portability because you can just feed it whatever local libraries it needs, tell it the platform to target, and you've got a working executable. No messing with JVMs and then finding that you have a mismatch somewhere or your screen resolution doesn't work.
Java's history is trying to get ahead of the curve, completely bungling implementation, and then being stuck as an aging security hole on most platforms. Oh, and now Oracle owns it, and they're cancer.

Just admit that anything Java can do, C++ can do better. And C++ and Python combined can probably be written, debugged, and polished before a Java codebase is even truly functional. Javafags are in deniable about how awful their language is, syntactically, historically, and functionally.

Attached: 1433840540966.gif (209x172, 87.08K)

I'm not dogmatic about languages, just debunking your FUD. Plenty of companies are doing new projects in Java or JVM based languages like Kotlin. All language have their trade-offs, and suggesting C++ for everything reflects a lack of understanding that. Python is a great language for sys admin, but for large scale applications, its lack of static analysis makes it difficult to work with.

Attached: c7ae0014876c2e7b5fdb5faa890c0d31fa5cf00d50748b5373dea2b68d970bd2.png (168x251, 26.63K)

You install jre or jdk depending on your needs and that's it. That's still one of the main advantages of Java, that there is no random hairy mess of external dependencies required (pic related)

Attached: make it stop.PNG (479x794, 49.67K)

I find Java great for OOP / GUI stuff. Python's great for scripting, and pretty much everything else can be done with C.

python is a language for retarded pajeets

Java had barely begun to be formed as a language by the late 90's, and its seen much wider adoption in the 2000's, especially after version 1.5 introduced major enhancements.

Ridiculous, silly statement. The JVM normalizes so many things that the C programmer has to consider. You are sub-Pajeet levels of language competency, so I'll let you dig through this.
softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/111080/why-is-java-considered-more-portable-than-other-languages-like-c

As a C progammer, I can ./configure && make && make install 20 year old C projects and expect them to work. But getting anything modern in Java to build is a nightmare. Gradle seems to barely be maintained and is falling apart, everything needs a specific JVM version and everything needs a different specific JVM version, there are a ton of build tools that need to be understood, it takes a long time to set up a proper build environment, etc.. It's insane. What a fucking mess.

Really? I have a few old Java programs from 2000~ that still run fine now. I also have old C programs that still work too. Don't know what to tell you user.

Do you have any real arguments? I have personally found Python to be great for writing quick scripts to do tedious tasks.

I used to hate Java, but after using it for awhile, I prefer it now. If I need a GUI and I want it to look native to the OS, I just use SWT.

oh noooOOOOOOOOO the two worst languages!

First of all, it's pretty obvious that you checked out the source of a large project and were overwhelmed by a toolset you aren't familiar with. There's nothing easier than installing a JVM and using a dependency management tool like Maven or Gradle to get a project started in minutes. And this:
Bullshit. Give me one example of some old Java code that won't run in a modern JVM.

Just out of curiosity, why SWT and not Swing with the UIManager setting the system look-and-feel?