Open source champion Google now a Linux Foundation Platinum Member

By Brian Fagioli

Google is a huge proponent of open source. The company is constantly releasing projects on GitHub -- a huge win for the open source community. Not to mention, Google leverages one of the most important open source projects for its operating systems -- the Linux kernel. Both Android and Chrome OS, for instance, are Linux-based.

Today, Google becomes a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation. This is big news, as not only will Google benefit from the platinum perks, but arguably more importantly, the Linux community will experience a huge financial win. You see, the annual cost for being a platinum member is $500,000!

Also read:
Google releases open source 'GIF for CLI' terminal tool on GitHub
Google makes Firebase SDKs open source
Google makes VR positional-tracking tool 'Seurat' open source on GitHub
Google launches new open source website
Google releases open source file sharing project 'Upspin' on GitHub

"Becoming a Platinum member -- the highest level of membership -- of The Linux Foundation gives Google access to the foundation's extensive knowledge and experience in open source governance, legal and technical topics. As a Platinum member, Google will also receive a seat on The Linux Foundation Board of Directors," says the foundation.

Sarah Novotny, head of open source strategy for Google Cloud (and new member of the Linux Foundation Board of Directors) says the following:

Open source is an essential part of Google's culture, and we've long recognized the potential of open ecosystems to grow quickly, be more resilient and adaptable in the face of change, and create better software. The Linux Foundation is a fixture in the open source community. By working closely with the organization, we can better engage with the community-at-large and continue to build a more inclusive ecosystem where everyone can benefit.

The Linux Foundation will benefit greatly from Google's half million dollars, but remember -- the search giant is not the only such member. Google is joining other platinum members like Huawei, Microsoft, Intel, Samsung, Facebook, and more -- the money is piling up! In other words, the success of The Linux Foundation, and Linux overall, is very important to the corporate world.

betanews.com/2018/06/27/google-linux-foundation-platinum/

Attached: linux-foundation.jpg (500x333 22.36 KB, 61.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who cares? Fuchsia is on its way!

Attached: Google-Fuchsia-AB-684x513.jpg (684x513, 22.42K)

typical Google...
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Why are you people so worried about this shit? It doesn't matter what they do. If they start screwing things up, you just fork Linux.

Practically all modern flagship smartphone already use Fuchsia kernels as a matter of fact. As Fastboot (Androids bootloader and firmware) is based on LittleKernel (Fuchsias kernel) that's why you can't just use ADB to interface with it and why you need the dedicated Fastboot tool instead. Google has been planning on ditching Linux for a long time now

Attached: opens.PNG (618x340, 43.75K)

So, what's the reason Google and Tencnet both just became Linux Foundation™ Platinum™ members? Year of the Linux desktop now?

GNU/Linux is literally just a sandbox to these people to test experimental software concepts and extrapolate what works and what doesn't from them so they can deploy them on their own platform's where the actual money is. That's why Microsoft is a member as well. So don't get your hopes up. GNU/Linux is basically a thing for these people to fallback on at best

The Linux Foundation is owned by Microsoft and now Google, and all the people there are just as cancerous as their corporate masters. It's so fucking corporate that it's owned by not one but both of them, and all the people there are a bunch of faggots that use overpriced Apple garbage. You people can't tell me that this is a good sign. I haven't watched their presentations much for obvious reasons, but I have seen enough to know that they make me want to put a bullet in my head for having anything at all to do with them. Honestly makes me want to drop the Linux kernel entirely and move on to something else, and it definitely proves that Linus is a bitch nigger. Maybe I'll check out all the BSDs except FreeBSD. At least nobody uses them, so they are safe from the Jewish hive mind for now, maybe, possibly, perhaps, I hope. Hopefully it will lead to something new and better. Maybe GNU Hurd will be finished before I die of old age so I can use just GNU without Linux, but I'm not optimistic enough to really believe that.

Embrace, extend, and extinguish.

This is the type of nigga who install shit like Iridium or Ungoogled Chromium and believes he's safe because all the evil parts of several thousands lines of code were all thoroughly found and removed just so he could use it. Must be a nice and comy world to live in, the one delusion created for ypu.

There are zero smartphones that currently ship with Fuchsia.

So the Linux Foundation is cucked already.

protip: Google is not interested in free software

Don't worry about people who promote open source while totally ignoring free software. They are promoting an apolitical way of software development and Google is exactly like this.

Every Android phone since at least Marshmallow has some Fuchsia technology under the hood though. Google's been planning this for awhile now

So being a Platinum Member equates to direct ownership? Alright I suppose that means that Samsung, Facebook, Tencent, Intel, RedHat, Google, and Microsoft are all secretly colluding with each other, planning the kernel's demise; that's why they're putting so much money into it
Don't get me wrong, I'm also a contrarian. This is going too far though. The sources of funding for kernel development don't degrade the quality of the kernel.
As far as I understand, Torvalds has the final say on everything that does or does not make it into the kernel. What does his accepting money from all these different, diverse, competing organizations have to do with the actual kernel? Nothing.
There is nothing superior in using something that less people use just for the sake of it. Jews control many institutions in the world, but the Linux kernel is not one of those.

These organizations donate to the Linux Foundation because they want to influence development, because they actually want to use the kernel themselves. Do you really think the Pajeet that's running Google right now is going to sit back and allow the Pajeet that runs Microsoft to 'extinguish' it?
Gimme a break.

Attached: 83sZdFf.png (552x494, 88.23K)

They don't, but neither will any individual member be able to steer development.

None of the platinum members are relying upon kernel-level features of Linux to carry out their surveillance and/or spyware activities.
Google (currently) relies on Linux for Android and ChromeOS, Microsoft is embracing Linux on Azure because Windows is shit,
and all of these companies depend upon Linux for internal use. There is no reason to believe that these companies funding of the Linux
Foundation somehow means that the kernel itself is going to be shitted. The kernel is merely a platform for nefarious uses such as
surveillance, it is not going to end up spying on its users or whatever you're implying here.

RedHat might care about desktop performance. Google might also care about desktop performance, but regardless why should I care that what
they want out of it is different from what I want out of it? I realize that their reasons for all the things they are collectively doing
are selfish, but so are mine.

Maybe it does. I could see why him receiving money from these organizations would create a conflict of interest for GPL enforcement,
but that was inevitable the moment Linux gained corporate backing. That's also a different (and arguably lesser) problem than what you were
alluding to, tainting of the kernel.

They indirectly influence it sure, but not in ways that are meaningful to me as a user.

Are you implying that none of those corporations have desktops or workstations themselves?
Supposing development took Linux in a direction not-suitable for my use, I would just switch
to using BSD systems or a Linux fork.

Oh please. It's not like YOU contribute anything to Linux. Last time I checked, all those big companies actually employ people to contribute GPL code to Linux. Of course they're going to steer its development. They're the ones developing it.

Don't like where Linux is going? Make your own changes yourself, faggot. That's the whole point of a GPL project. If your shit is good enough, it's likely to end up in Torvald's branch in some form or another. Crying about who funds the Linux foundation does exactly nothing to further your cause.

More concerned about these big companies changing the liscnese from GPL to something else after linus dies since they will be able to contribute enough to rewrite the whole thing and then have all their employees agree to change the liscense. Kinda like what redhat is doing with GNU software in userspace by being the main or only contributers to projects like systemD, GDB, and dbus to name a few.

The old GPL software isn't going to go away. Just because Redhat is developing a lot of software doesn't mean the old software has gone away. The only thing it means is that nobody is willing to develop the older software. That is not Redhat's problem if people refuse to invest their time into developing those older software pieces.

The democratic leadership of NetBSD and FreeBSD makes them easy to infiltrate. FreeBSD already got compromised, NetBSD is on its way and the core team has always been cancerous.

At the same time the other BSDs with a benevolent dictator system are as vulnerable as Linux. Linus may be an alright guy, but if he tried to be a hardass on the people ruining linux they would just fork it. A similar thing will happen to the GNU project and the same thing will happen with OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD if they get big.

We've spent our days giving up on fights we deemed unwinnable and running away to a different thing, but eventually there'll be nowhere else to go.

Attached: 10_Vostfr_720p.jpg (1280x720, 66.61K)

There is nowhere else to go because you choose to stay within the system of projects that already exists. You simply refuse to fork the software and take responsibility in your own forked project.

Ooh, somebody's never heard of Con Kolivas. Now is where you go and google him and pretend you knew about him all along, then manufacture rationalizations for why you're still right.
Even though you're not.

Hasn't Linux already mainlined everything he made except MuQSS?

Con Kolivas means nothing to the argument. Linux still remains GPL and Con Kolivas's work still remains, it hasn't disappeared.

Does (((The Linux Foundation))) even has any influence on the development of Linux? I thought Torvalds is too autistic to listen to some corporate committee.

Google to acquire gitlab soon.

I agree with that. Everything is completely fucked. The internet is no exception, so I will eventually have to abandon it entirely and live offline. In that case I can just use whatever and it won't matter. I only mentioned the BSDs because they aren't used as much, so they may end up lasting longer. Not even going to respond to the guy that tried to defend this shit, the guy that responded to him did it for me. Google and Microsoft always destroy everything that they touch, so don't give me this "they are totally not going to ruin everything this time" shit. If you try to tell me that Google and Microsoft are going to let you have your freedom, I don't think I even have to say anything. That's retarded beyond what should be possible and almost everyone here should understand that.

These corporations are spending money on Linux because they want to control it. It's not fucking charity, they want something in return, and they are gaining influence. Microsoft in particular wants it for the Stalin of Things, because Windows is too shitty to run on small devices like your fucking doorknob, so they need to use something else to control every aspect of your life. That's where the Linux kernel comes in. They are paying Linus a shitload of money, so he will never oppose them again, and really, no one working there has integrity, so I assume Linus doesn't have it either, or the foundation would be drastically different (he can change whatever he wants, because as far as most people are concerned, he is Linux), or he wouldn't be there anymore, at this point. He's probably not going to address any of the shit going on there because he agrees with all of it, but doesn't want people to stop thinking "maybe Linus is against it". I bet he doesn't even need the money at this point. Probably already a millionaire.

Basically, I think Terry was right again. Linus is a nigger. No wonder he didn't even write his own compiler. He wouldn't get a big check from Microsoft for doing that.

Attached: TempleOS Terry Davis Sings Paranoid by Black Sabbath.webm (640x360, 14.56M)

Or commies

Sounds like an overreaction.
They aren't used as much so they may end up lasting longer? Where is the logic in that? Are you implying that the less popular software is the longer it's going to be developed? Are you braindead?
It's because you have nothing of value to say about any of it.
Opposing Google and Microsoft is good, but you are delusional. Go ahead and tell me now how Google and Microsoft are going to ruin Linux. Take you time and spell it out. Neither Google nor Microsoft are going to stop me from enjoying the freedom of the Linux kernel.
Yes, and? They want a high functioning kernel and so do I. As soon as they add the spying-on-autists module I'll switch to BSD.
There is nothing stopping Microsoft from using the Linux kernel as it exists right now to do this. There aren't any needed "spying" features or whatever you're referring to above. So what are you concerned about again?
Again, please point out the malicious features of the kernel that you would like removed. Did you expect Linus to refuse all the corporate funding offered to him? Is that what you wanted? Lol.
Linus isn't a nigger. He didn't write his own compiler because he already had access to a working one, and didn't have access to a working kernel.
If you weren't such a moron, you would know he started the kernel as an amateur project. Getting Microsoft and Google to pay him wasn't the plan, but how things ended up.

The Linux Foundation pays the salary of Torvalds.

Whatever technical criticism that can be put against Linus wouldn't change the fact that his success in making he best option for what he proposed to do, and many others were also and have been trying to do as well, is pretty excellent. He did things in a way that thst opened a lot of possibilities and continues to be the most viable option in its category.
Now his naivete and autism in thinking of the scenario that would allow his work to grow outside the world of proprietary software and remain an alternative to its restrictive and anti-progress mindset has already charged its price and now appartently will cost much more.
He clearly never had a mind for situational thinking, and was too proud to just let people who were very trained and informed in that regard, like the FSF or similar minded folks, to handlemthis for him. Then he left the kernel hanging kernel in this centrist, ill-defined position of not being totally in the realm of actually free software nor an actual open-source cucked bitch with its huge gaping ass opened for corps and joos.
As all centrists, he thought the safest position was not to really commit to any sides, ignoring that this will not create balance, but instead will cause you to be dragged by the side that has more power. And now he is falling to that gravity he ignored when he thought you could achieve balance in a hang between genuine people wanting to do nice sutff that is cool and useful, and a bunch of billionaires who quite literally control the world.
Nothing to see here, actually, and no real news that should surprise anyone. Just Stallman was right again, and to want the world of software to have some option, small as it may be, that is not controlled by (((them))) actually requires fighting and finding manages to achieve autonomy and freedom through a control that gives ypu those. Instead of just throwing good intentions and nice words into the wind and hoping they will survive when you have the worst kind of people that can possibly exist out there, full of desire to crush everything that bears the signs of these qualities.

Tldr~ linus refused to take out the gloves and use his fists, and now he will be fisted to death, along with his goodi tentions, because of this

Sorry for typing this out like a total retard, I'm literally pooping right now and it's kinda stuck. I would edit if I could.

I'm taking a risk by posting this in public but It cant be helped.
Our community is recruiting people such as yourselves.
Please do not repost the connection details elsewhere.
Mumble 159.89.136.182 64738

Attached: wallhaven-31710.jpg (1920x1080, 184.34K)

Frigg off.

Why don't you hang yourself by the balls, faggot?

If your project isn't a free software project, then I'm not interested.

go back to perth you loser

I'm taking a risk by posting this in public honeypot but It cant be helped.
Our community is recruiting people goyim such as yourselves.
Please do not repost the connection details elsewhere unless authorized by Moshe.
Mumble 159.89.136.182 64738

Doing it again at this very moment. Thought you might like to know :)

Degoogle while you still can niggers. I guess it's time for me to start using BSD.

Do we look like stupid niggers to you?

are you the hacker known as 4chan

Are you fucking retarded?

yep

/leftycuck/?

Garbage.
Just another phone/tablet os.