I've never experimented with hardware video encoding until now...

I've never experimented with hardware video encoding until now, and my findings are that it's complete and utter dogshit. Yes, it can encode at speeds higher than 1K fps, but the result is always a larger file. It doesn't matter what preset I use. None of them compare to CPU placebo. The reason I bring this up is because AV1 absolutely must have hardware accelerated encoding to be usable. Is this simply Nvidia's implementation for x264 and x265 which are shit, or is all hardware encoding this poor?

Attached: ffmpeg-nvenc-ubuntu-tutorial.png (640x360, 44.49K)

Hardware video encoding is mostly intended for streamerfags with shit CPUs.

It's Nvidia's implementation.

Hardware encoding / decoding goes beyond CPUs and GPUs. Anyone who actually needs to do video encoding / decoding uses hardware acceleration. Do you honestly think that big platforms like YouTube and Netflix do it all in software?

Hardware encoding and hardware accelerated encoding aren't the same thing. x264 has support for some GPU acceleration through OpenCL.

They probably do transcodes in software. The current video encoding algorithms don't parallelize well so you get a choice of a limited form that parallelizes well or a quality form that needs a CPU that efficiently handles branching.

I don't know how widespread it is, but I do know that Netflix used an FPGA implementation at least at some point in time.

Why not? You only need to encode once for a given resolution and then send the files around.
Hardware is more important for decoding.
As pointed out, it's when you need realtime encoding for streaming purposes that there is any point.

I noticed this using intel GPU hardware acceleration too. Do they use the same algorithm as to make the size so bloated?

Yes, but when you are working at a large scale the savings you get by using dedicated hardware is worth it.

*in comparison of dedicating the eqivalent amount of "non-dedicated hardware" to that problem.

That's the cost of saving time. You either get a quick encode at a larger file size/less quality or a smaller encode with better quality that takes more time.

No it doesn't. Divx/Xvid encoding was done at 1fps and less in the late 90s. x264 was the same when it first came out. Fansub encoders used to use filters that caused encode times to go down below 0.10fps and would let a machine run for days for the finale encode. These are not new problems newfags are just accustomed to real time streaming and the software being mature.

Patience is dead

Nvidia always chooses the faster and lower quality route for everything.

user, there's a reason fansubbers prefer HEVC over VP9 despite the latter performing better at low bitrates.
Encoding 23 minutes of 320x240p24 AV1 for days on end may have been attractive during the early days of digital video but these days it's plain inexcusable when x265 can deliver the same quality with a mild increase in filesize in a matter of hours.

1) The reference encoder is not optimized AT ALL. It's stupid to compare its speed with others.
2) rav1e will probably end up as the default encoder.

Fansubbers don't know how to encode anymore, boy.
See
Only if you know how to tune it to avoid landing in blurland. Mainly --no-sao and --no-strong-intra-smoothing; x265 is actually where x264 was before it started disregarding metrics and going full psy optimizations.
Why do I have faith in AV1? Because Xiph is behind rav1e, and the people at Xiph really know their shit.

This. The Xiph guys seem to know their shit.

How does rav1e compare to aomenc when using identical bitrates+available options?
I heard it omits many of AV1's advanced features for the sake of speed.

Nice rant that had nothing to do with what I was talking about. You just saw me mention fansubs and went full retard. I don't really care what lazy faggots these days are using to re-encode crunchyroll rips with.

The 1.0 spec (bitstream freeze) was JUST reached, m8. You'll have to wait AT LEAST 6 months to get something very good (could be lower seeing all the money behind it, though).

Still not much support for hwenc on AMD + linux, is there?

VAAPI can do hardware encoding and decoding through AMD GPUs. which means anything with VAAPI support has it.

Anecdote: My Radeon 5670HD with the radeon KMS driver does tear-free decodes with mpv --vo=vaapi.

Is AV1 really an "open" standard if only Google and Twitch end up with a usable, proprietary encoder that they won't share?

Reas the posts above you, retard.