Something happened :(

What is with the move to softer language in error screens? It seems like a move to make things more 'user friendly', or maybe it's a shift in developer attitudes.

Attached: DYEvY9xXUAA1A8z.jpg (800x450, 26.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HsZafL2-hWU
ibb.co/jwzboz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Seizing control of the system off user's hands.
Instead of going explanative and educative approach:
"Error X on application and file Y happened, do Z to fix this error and check logs at /sys/logs" in a non-abusive way they go full retard assuming their user as a dumb nigger with money, sans the "Uhmm sweetie, no do boo-boo m~mkay". Or it maybe just female user experience designers who like to introduce useless crap into established patterns because they 'feel' doing so.
However, I think your picture has a real user-friendly feature, memorizing or writing OOPSIE_WOOPSIE on a piece of paper is indeed better than 0x00000000341713 kernel_exec.

its ux > error message that helps
Blue Screen had proper fucking reference to whats broken now it fucking treats you like a toddler

I don't know but it's funny as hell

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (715x557, 68.45K)

I couldn't resist

Attached: somthing happened.jpg (715x557, 390.13K)

If they really put a smiley they probably did it for some hipster reason like it being "new", different, human, or some shit from the old error messages.

That's actually true. UX was a mistake.

It's done because marketers and UI designers seriously think it stops people from raging when their computer shits the bed. All it does is cause them to not have an error code which means they can't diagnose the problem with Google, which is when they use their phone to do it instead.

Overall it's just bad design all around, but MS keeps doing it because MS doesn't want to make consumer products anymore.

No, it treats you like an employee of a business that is not authorized to conduct maintenance. The soft messages are a way of not saying "major system error, please contact your network administrator" because that phrase has no relevance to a regular person who is their own admin. It is 100% done in service of enterprise customers who want this sort of error message so employees don't try fixing their workstations, especially when MS provides paid technical support.

Remember the Xbone launch? Mattrick literally told people who can't afford a stable internet connection to not buy MS products. That is MS's current philosophy: either you pay us for a service or fuck off. Even if it cuts down on the amount of customers it means the remaining ones will be totally cucked whales who will buy anything. MS will take that over being a market leader. IBM made the same decision three decades ago.

My site's 404 page:

404 - Not Found

Could not find anything at the URL you requested:
example.com/remote-exploit.a

If you believe you've reached this page in error, please try to keep in mind that machines do not care what you think. Sorry. However, if machines
did care this situation would be far more worrisome for all parties involved.
So, there's that.

Go Back to Where You Came From

I don't know where that is, but you could try going back with this [link.]
It might not work if you have Javascript disabled, so use your browser's
back button or try one of the navigation links over there. Actually,
I don't know where they are either. Might not be any links if the problem's on my end. Good luck, you're on your own.

You can stop reading this...

...or not. Yeah, I'm sort of bored too. Maybe I'll put a timewaster
here if I get bored enough to spend that much time on waste. Until
then, sorry I couldn't waste more of your time... or not.

------

My UX goal is to give the user something to think about other than the fact there's an error. Even if they get mad at the fact that the message is condescending, it's better than them simply thinking, "this was supposed to exist and doesn't".

Distract, Deny, Disinform

This is the future of sysadmin given a world of increasingly ignorant of sheeple.

Reminds me of this one time I saw a really fat lady walking down the street with a t-shirt that said "SHIT HAPPENS".

Yeah, they're basically reinforcing learned helplessness.

Whenever i see one of these i get pissed off.

Attached: quoth_the_server_404.jpg (401x551, 106.16K)

I wouldn't call it "softer" but rather "infantilized" language to appease to the trend of the "OMG I CAN'T EVEN!" feminazi millenials.

and you took the bait
memetics at work

It's the mild feminized corporate tone, the stable point of inclusion where you bother the fewest people.

For the same reason the automatic transmission was invented: women.

It's a step to lock down the system more until you can't do anything and have to go to the Microsoft shop to get it repaired.
That's the goal of MS these days. As evidence just take the fact that Windows 10 doesn't allow you to choose when your system shuts down. Back in the day that was called a fatal error, these days it's a feature.

That sounds straight up cuck.

What the fuck nigger, just read the referer and parse back link from it.

Feminised mentality leads to this sort of bullshit. You have to pretty it up and dumb it down so people can't just go "it's fucked jim".

Attached: youbrokeit2.png (384x437, 4.9K)

Attached: South Park - Guy likes the smell of his own fart...-kMvW-_pkX3Q.webm (480x360, 129.61K)

In 50 years of computing "error 0x000000093" or "error: segmentation fault" has never, EVER, helped a non-techie figure out what's wrong with the PC.
It's fine and dandy that if you guys feel all 1337 because you understand about core dumps and logs and registry errors, buy moat users don't and won't. All they're gonna do is either call tech support or search online what the fuck "error 0x000000093" means, and at that point why not make it easier for the user by just telling him "MEM_ACCESS_INVALID" or something.

gaynigger

Normalfags don't read error messages any way, they see a problem and freak out. They're scared of the tech.

The error messages might be all but gibberish in most cases but with search engines we were able to figure out the problem and resolve it ourselves. How the fuck is googling "Oppsy woopsy" going to do the same thing? Even just make it "Oppsy woopsy 7" gives us a place to start and wouldn't be any more complex.

Learn to use gdb, nigger.

There is no difference functionally between googling "error 0x00000123" or "error MEM_ACCESS_FORB"
Each error, or to be more precise, each group of errors have their own names to make it easier for users and tech support to search said error. Same thing happened with the old 0x errors, except now they're easier to remember.

It's not easier to remember, it's fucking useless. They're not making each error it's own error, they're just using generic names for huge groups of problems.

In what universe you live normalfags can solve segfaults?
Didn't you just bitch about that? Segfaults tell the user what happened, it's just that kind of problem can't be fixed by the user.

Well, what's wrong with it? It's a very clear indicator of how to find a way to fix it.

In A.D. 2101
Something was beginning.
Captain: What happen?
Mechanic: Somebody setup us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What!
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It's you!!
Error: How are you gentlemen!!
Error: OOPSI_DOOPSIE_REGISTRY_KABLOOIE
Error: You are on the way to shutdown.

Attached: [HD_60FPS] Windows 95 Crazy Error!-oX5dJ7D3rHs.mp4 (640x360, 4.03M)

GAS GAS GAS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

That's because you searched for caucasian frown emoji while the error message contained gook frown emoji. It's your fault for quoting it wrong.

...as they were before.

Exactly.

It's the same thing, except the new names are easier to remember and type down.

This always pissed me off when I was a tech support monkey. 0x00000874 or whatever could mean your RAM is bad or it could mean your driver is bad or it could mean a bunch of other shit that could be wrong.
Why the fuck can't they make it easier to troubleshoot precisely what the problem is.
On servers you don't get this bullshit. You get a "DIMM_A1 has a memory fault" Or more specific infomration.

That's because servers are built to detect (and possibly correct) faults. E.g. ECC memory, redundant PSUs, RAID storage, etc. Consumer hardware doesn't have that shit since it would add to the cost. It is impossible to detect faulty memory before it eats your data and/or crashes your system if you don't have ECC. It is impossible to detect a wonky PSU if there's no live spare to keep the system alive and record the incident while the first one wonks out. That's why you don't get pointed diagnostics on common hardware. The system just shits itself instead.

You're giving one gender too much credit. It's made for children and retarded boomers who don't know how to do technology.

It is and it's why I stopped using Windows. If I can't even figure out when updates or shutdowns occur, what's the point?

I don't get the fuss, honestly. They still give you error codes, so there's nothing wrong with it apart from being W10.

I have found Linux error messages to be infinitely more relevant and useful than even coredumps. Oftentimes the error amounts to "reinstall this shit nigger" where most Windows "techies" will unironically suggest you reinstall your whole operating system as the first or second troubleshooting method.

That's what happens when you use focus groups. See: Ribbon UI.

I would like to see an artfag draw the Amiga guru curbstomping Windows.

Maybe they are just trying to look like they aren't the ones holding the cactus being shoved right up the user's ass. "Woops, it looks like something went wrong. Someone else that isn't us seems to be raping your ass with a bunch of needles. Have a nice day."

Really, what they really mean is always: "Stop trying to do what you're trying to do, only do what we say. If your computer doesn't work, just stop being poor and buy a new one. Have a nice day. Go fuck yourself, we own you."

Attached: 057.png (1024x767, 1.03M)

You don't use this screen to diagnose a BSOD error unless you've repaired thousands of computers, the old stop codes only gave you a quick glance at the issue.

To properly diagnose a BSOD error, you load the memory dump file from (by default) C:\Windows\Minidump into WinDbg and perform a trace.

Here is an indian that shows you how:
youtube.com/watch?v=HsZafL2-hWU

Attached: imin.jpg (446x404, 15.13K)

Epic fart joke fellow channer! XD

Wrong. The BSoD tells you what dll caused the error. If you see it mentioned the graphics card, then you probably need to upgrade the drivers for the graphics card.

do you remember this?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (668x579 112.78 KB, 351.44K)

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (604x453, 281.58K)

So now Blue Screen is utterly useless
and if it keeps repeating itself there less info to figure out whats happening
Thanks Microsoft

it's a part of millenial tech culture. they can't fix anything and they see bugs as fun things and even deliberately add them for marketing purposes. the idea behind replacing standard error codes like this is:

also pic related:
ibb.co/jwzboz
in this case you have to enable JS, solve recaptcha (which is almost impossible these days), and then when you solve it, the broken site doesn't acknowledge that you solved it (typical webshit), and makes you try the captcha again to find out it still doesn't work. these moronic error pages just add to the infuration and are just one more thing that makes us want to gas the normies.

no because that joke is stupid, but yes i remember when IE had a huge error page like that to try to explain the stupidity of HTTP to the end user