Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it, oh my God, it even has a watermark

Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it, oh my God, it even has a watermark.

Attached: iljitsch-model-m-1a[1].jpg (640x480, 48.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_K5_microprocessors/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Model M has design flaws. It's a meme keyboard; Zenith keyboards + the Model F are superior. Buckling springs do shit all over Cherry switches, that is true.

I have about 4 of these, including the small footprint one, all of which need repairs. It's lame how they used plastic rivets on this shit, and even more lame that they didn't do anything to seal the membrane to evade possible spills. I had one single fucking drop of condensation come off of a cold thermos and it landed right on the god damn corner of my model m, then whammo half the fucking keys stopped working. Granted these things were designed with the intention of being used in a fucking clean room with full-blast AC but that incident was completely ridiculous.

That being said, my leopold fills the void just fine and I use kailh switches because I know how to do basic soldering, so no shitty cherry switches to deal with.

Attached: large_FC980MLEWPD_1.jpg (700x467, 30.73K)

If you like Leopold keyboards; you should really try Korean Topre knockoffs. Korea is like a Mecca for these electro-capacitive keyboards, the two best models being the Hansung CHF7 and the Abko K965P. The switches come with silencing rings, but maintain a very bassy sound -- the keyfeel is also superior to Topre, in my opinion.

Attached: Hansung CHF7-4DUUSr4Ulbs.webm (640x360, 9.71M)

I was debating on pulling the trigger for a Topre or Topre-like board but I was worried if I hate the switches I can't swap them out.

They're good. They address the biggest issue of Topre -- the fact that you need to use the full XXg force immediately when you press a key. The silencing rings make the keyfeel gradient, so it's less like a traditional rubber dome. These also have Cherry stems, but the stock caps are excellent. I also like how these knockoffs maintain the subdued design of Topre keyboards; it's rare to see that today. There are tons of typing demonstrations on YouTube concerning the boards I mentioned -- I'd post another webm but youtube-dl is failing.

True beauty **Seriously though, will mechanical keyboards ever become OEM standard again, so they aren't perceived as a luxury/meme item?

Attached: AppleExtendedKeyboard.jpg (799x533 281.54 KB, 135.91K)

It's a shame that the AEKII (the model that is far more common) comes with rather tepid feeling switches; typing on Salmon Alps makes me want to sing in utter jubilation. I recall the ADB interface being hot-swappable as well?

Just be thankful reddit only cares about 60% cherry boards, topre, and model ms, alps keyboards are expensive enough as it is.

What's the name of that dull as dishwater reviewer on YouTube? Starts with a C, if I remember correctly. I hate him for giving Redditors pretty little ideas.

But mechanical keyboards are a bit of a luxury item. You can find reasonably priced ones, but rubber domes are inherently far far cheaper to produce. And if you think those are bad, be glad they're not membrane keyboards, pic related. Now THAT was atrocious.

Chyrosran22.

Attached: Atari-400-Comp.jpg (4050x2340, 3.88M)

Well shit, for almost $400 they better be. My $80 Unicomp is good enough, thank you very much. But if I could spend that sort of crazy money on a keyboard, I'd go for pic related.

Attached: Kinesis Advantage2.jpg (1600x755, 128.51K)

Not sure if their quality control has gotten better, but the Matias Ergo Pro is probably the best ergonomic keyboard.

I really liked the sidewinder keyboard Ms did but it's been discontinued for ages now. Any one want to recommend a replacement? On a budget so no insane prices please.

I have one of these. It's very good, but apparently there's some libre 3D printed keyboard that is split, but ergonomic in three dimensions as the Kinesis is. If I had access to a 3D printer and knowledge of it beforehand it would've saved me money. As it stands, I don't regret the purchase.

You'd still have to buy/make the electrical components

You should've bought the other model.

Attached: atari_800_by_easterbilly.jpg (4400x4400, 3.27M)

Patrick? Are you ok? You dropped your dubs.

Move aside.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (2001x773, 2.33M)

The keyboard may have been hot-swap, but period mobos (anything up to the last G3s to have ADB) most certainly weren't, except on the software level (i.e.: If the resistor in your Mac survived having an ADB device hot-plugged, the OS could actually recognize it).

Yeah, but there was a sweet spot during the '90s when membrane keyboards completely vanished, yet dome/scissor keyboards hadn't been widely adopted. Now most OEMs (Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) don't even offer mechanical keyboards, though the keyboard enthusiast scene is arguably better than ever before, even if prices are sky high.

sneaky reference

Attached: 1489181897327.gif (175x272, 335.97K)

isn't that just the Niz Plum keyboard but re-branded for gooks?

Actual topre boards that don't have the mx stem other than a few exceptions like the coolermaster one have good default pbt keycaps with the exclusion of the spacebar sometimes being ABS.

Attached: 108.jpg (800x800, 88.78K)

What important thing was ever created with that keyboard?

Attached: 1455903103311.png (549x560, 258.17K)

Emacs.

Is that a joke? It's literally a split regular keyboard.

It's not a sneaky reference, it's one of the most infamous and parroted scenes of the movie. It's quoted all the time, especially on here and 4/g/.

you are right, but my model m has been good enough for me
for a very long time. modern keyboards, especially laptop-, feel like soft cock.

The 90's called! They want their feels back.

Attached: compaqpresario2286.gif (400x323, 40.21K)

Yes, but they're cheaper. They were priced at around 100$ shipped, lately they've gotten more expensive.

The switches feel really good. I used the kinesis for a time; it never stopped feeling awkward. It's really portable too, and you can change the tenting angles easily.

thanks now I have cancer.

You mean, back when a typical PC cost well over a couple grand? Of course, when you charge that much, you can throw in a good keyboard.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_K5_microprocessors/

It's funny the bit I really disagree with is the bit where you call these keyboards "good". I've never known them to be good. I tried a bunch of MX switches on display models in stores and they weren't good. I used to own hardware which had springs in them and they weren't good. I don't think I've ever tried the designs being talked about here, but I also don't really care for niche designs that are too rare to be stockpiled for future tech wars. I'll try the apple ones if I see those cheap enough, but the rest are too rare and Dell rubber domes are really quite pleasant to work with for $5 a go. If they were not made in quantity let some rich fag "collect" them. I want the "Toyota Corolla" of desktop keyboards; because they work well and I can get hold of a whole fleet of them.

Attached: ibm5110computingsystem.jpg (984x878, 80.23K)

You could always buy or build yourself a decent PC in the 90's for $1000-$1500, unless you were going for "top of the line" stuff, and then of course you'll pay for it. But an average PC was enough to run most software and games, at least until everything become 3D shit and started requiring fast pentium and GPUs.
Pic was released in 1992 and didn't need much hardware at all to run. Actually it was even programmed on a 286 machine.

Attached: 260164-titus-the-fox-to-marrakech-and-back-dos-front-cover.jpg (800x964, 186.33K)

Still, a decent PC can be had for $200 or less nowadays. There is simply no margin, no way to throw in a mechanical keyboard and still make a profit.

The dactyl?

is there anything comparable

It's a Zig Forums-approved keyboard, but do not make a fucking >>>/4chan/ tier retarded OP about it, please.

True enough, I guess. The period I referred to was the gap between the death of the final sub-$100 8/16-bit systems low-rez enough to plug into an SDTV (e.g.: C64, MSX) and the wave of sub-$500 "internet PCs" (e.g.: eMachines) that started sprouting up around 1998.

Sure the Model M is a reference, but I also like the feel and design of this HP keyboard. Pure 80's stuff, also PS/2 compatible.

Attached: DSC05111.JPG (4912x3264, 2.08M)

Attached: Z7HeRxU.png (512x512, 360.9K)

Not sure what you mean. I spent several months with my Amiga 500 plugged into a 19-inch CRT TV via the RF modulator, because I couldn't bring a monitor on the trip. It was fine to use that way, although I had to set Workbench to 60-column mode in order for the text to be legible. Pretty sure the A1200 could also accomodate an RF modulator, and those got sold well into the late 90's, even after Commodore was bankrupt (Escom took over for a while, and you could easily find second-hand Amigas all over the place for cheap back then).
Maybe even Atari computers had something like that, but I never used one. Also, most of the TVs I saw in the 90's were just regular coax and/or RCA jacks (this was in the USA, so no SCART).

Attached: a520-3.jpg (450x481, 39.24K)