With DaaS Windows coming, say goodbye to your PC as you know it

For over 30 years, we’ve thought of PCs primarily as Windows machines, which we owned and controlled. That’s about to change forever.

This isn’t about Microsoft forcing us off Windows 7 to Windows 10 as fast as it can (though it has found many ways to push that agenda). This is about Microsoft abandoning the Windows platform as a conventional desktop.

Microsoft is getting ready to replace Windows 10 with the Microsoft Managed Desktop. This will be a “desktop-as-a-service” (DaaS) offering. Instead of owning Windows, you’ll “rent” it by the month.

DaaS for Windows isn’t new. Citrix and VMware have made a living from it for years. Microsoft has offered Remote Desktop Services, formerly Terminal Services, for ages.

Microsoft Managed Desktop is a new take. It avoids the latency problem of the older Windows DaaS offerings by keeping the bulk of the operating system on your PC.

But you’ll no longer be in charge of your Windows PC. Instead, it will be automatically provisioned and patched for you by Microsoft. Maybe you’ll be OK with that.

Unless you’ve been under a rock, you know IT departments have not been happy with Microsoft’s twice yearly major “upgrades” to Windows 10. Let’s call it what it is. These aren’t upgrades or updates; they’re service patches (SP).

Take the Windows 10 April 2018 Update — please! It came with more than its fair share of bugs. What was especially annoying was that “Update” fouled up so many of Microsoft’s own programs. When even Word, Outlook and File Explorer lock up, you know you’ve got a mess on your hands.

Computerworld’s Woody Leonhard even recommended that, unless you were stuck with the April Update, you turn off automatic updating. He’s right to do so. Windows patching was always chancy, but with Windows 10 you’re more likely to have trouble when you patch than you are to avoid problems. And isn’t that a heck of a note?

So, with this track record, do you want to pay good money to let Microsoft maintain your desktops for you? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

Nonetheless, DaaS Windows is coming. Microsoft has been getting away from the old-style desktop model for years now. Just look at Office. Microsoft would much rather have you rent Office via Office 365 than buy Microsoft Office and use it for years.Microsoft Managed Desktop is the first move to replacing “your” desktop with a rented desktop. By 2021, I expect the Managed Desktop to be to traditional Windows what Office 365 is to Office today: the wave of the future. Or maybe tsunami, depending on your perspective.

I’m not happy with this development. I’m old enough to remember the PC revolution. We went from depending on mainframes and Unix boxes for computing power to having the real power on our desktops. It was liberating.

Now Microsoft, which helped lead that revolution, is trying to return us to that old, centralized control model.

Forget that noise. If Microsoft continues on this course, soon your only real choices if you really want a “desktop” operating system will be Linux and macOS. Oh, you’ll still have “Windows.” But Windows as your “personal” desktop? It will be history.

computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

Attached: win10.png (1273x967, 792.72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

petri.com/wheres-microsoft-365-headed-next-managed-desktop
archive.fo/q3tcW
archive.fo/Mdqva
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

finally: windows for niggers

Fuck off.

the rumors are true then

It's simple: Install GNU/Linux

This news hasn't been confirmed by Microsoft yet and is speculation from recent job postings

petri.com/wheres-microsoft-365-headed-next-managed-desktop

I can see this going very well for them if they offered deep rebates to OEMs. When people buy cellphones they pay very little upfront and get stuck on a plan so why couldn't the same apply to laptops and computers? They can easily be locked down thanks to the UEFI and don't forget that it wasn't too long ago that Lenovo prevented Linux from running on their computers saying "This system has a Signature Edition of Windows 10 Home installed. It is locked per our agreement with Microsoft.".

HOW
MANY
TIMES
DID
I
WARN
YOU
STUPID
NIGGERS
ABOUT
THIS
SHIT
never forget this is the future you chose and deserve

xD
I wouldn't mind normies paying monthly subscriptions.
Also

That

spacing

hurts

my

eyes

RMS was right. Computer users are seeing ownership move from them to faceless corporations for an increase in "security"

This may be the perfect time to teach your normie friends about alternatives.

Attached: preach linux.jpg (500x663, 53.84K)

I don't see the problem just install Gentoo

The depressing thing is that we all know The Linux Desktop Community will once again find a way to squander this opportunity and nothing will change. Computing fucking sucks.

no let the npcs get assfucked by windows its the natural way of things youre like the small percent in the matrix who choose to reject the programming a natural and essential byproduct of the system. if the npcs were to move to linux linux would become nonfree software. im sure a simple graph has been made showing the correlation between amount of normies using a distro and the amount of poz in the system.

They'll probably say something about "muh iTunes" and buy a Mac.

Daas is stupid

Everyone has finally swallowed the truth. They fucking won. It's over for us.

How does it feel knowing that there is nothing we can do to fight back against this? The blackpill has been swallowed by all of us, and we can never return from it.

Attached: rabbit rabbit.png (742x746, 682.91K)

What else is there to do? One glance at the somber tone of the posters ITT will immediately tell you that there is no escape from this. They have finally claimed victory against freedom.

archive.fo/q3tcW

archive.fo/Mdqva

More importantly, if the answer is rolling over and dying why haven't you done it yet?

Attached: 0f39602284918922b819e590a966640a0dcdc4a9a7279b45a0a1ad4d624328b0.jpg (940x529, 259.67K)

This. Recall the modest poz of the popular distros. Now imagine 99.99% of the users are normie retards who can't use a command line and like being data mined "for an improved experience". Linux will just become a shittier MacOS and you'll have to keep moving to more and more obscure distros to get away from it. Just like white flight, and with many of the same people.

He should take his own advice.

Why should we fight back against this? First it's only going to start in 2020 when Windows 7 reaches end of life and fuck anyone who's still using W10 by then. Second this is initially intended to be sold towards businesses and government institutions that are already stuck in the Windows ecosystem.

Even if they move to a DaaS model for consumers in 2025 by then what will Windows have? Most of the software on it is already becoming SaaS based. Being pessimistic about this doesn't make any sense at all.

Attached: serveimage.jpeg (770x418, 51.9K)

Who fucking cares? Unless you're a Windows user (which you really fucking shouldn't be) than this is meaningless. If anything, it could help undo the damage normalfags have caused to computing in the last few decades.

This is great, I can't wait to show off to my normie acquaintances about how I use a Linux based operating system and do not have to pay a fee or whatever.

Forcing enterprise DaaS after the disaster that is Windows 10
ahahaha
please do, drive more people to Linux, thx

I would too, if I had any.

Always knew cucks love to swallow black things.

Norms already love Android and iOS. If Microsoft really wants to push this on consumers --idk, maybe, maybe not--, then it really won't make any difference to anyone here in regard to linux. Normans aren't gonna flock to linux en masse, they're gonna flock to Android and Apple. Most consumers these days don't even have a PC anymore unless it's for work or school. They all have a phone, so they don't need one. The rise of Windows DaaS will only see the rise of the Android PC and the Chromebook and Apple in market share. Android is already exactly what you all fear linux becoming. Proprietary, locked down, you don't really own it or the device, device-as-a-service in that most people replace their phone as soon as they're done paying for it if not sooner. The only difference is that Android isn't popular on PCs. Even a lot of SBCs run Android.

If Microsoft really wants to drive all their consumer base to Android, good for them. People will drop Office for Google Docs. Android Just Werks even better than Windows ever did. It's easier to use for nearly everyone, and it even lets them paw at the screen. TVs already run it, phones run it, tablets run it, IoT devices run it.

I shall wait for that day, and laugh when it comes.

Checkenem

Attached: 1519589535644.jpg (960x960, 47.76K)

does FreeSync work in GNU/Linux yet?
how is the performance of vidya?

its called Windows 10 S

Nah. Microsoft doesn't have the balls to implement this without having regular Windows continue. This will be just like them trying to enforce 'Games for Window Live', 'Microsoft Store", 'Edge' and that stupid Xbox gaming sub...and it will all fail to gain enough traction to kill regular Windows. Like as if any 3rd world country would pay monthly for Windows...or anyone with a brain for that matter.

Windows 10 S(now called S mode) is old news and entirely different from DaaS. You're only allowed to run 'apps' from the Windows Store and it uses encryption so if your account gets banned you lose all access to the files on the computer.

It's an optional mode you can switch off. It's intended for morons who can't use a computer as shown by this promotional photograph from Microsoft for it. The original idea was to sell computers with it and charge $50 to unlock it but they've dropped it.

Attached: 1800.png.jpeg (1240x744, 58.4K)

You would be surprised...

Netflix wouldn't have anywhere near the number of subscribers if the only option you had was for a 4 year license. Lots of people pirate Windows because they see the price tag and decide they can't afford it, but give them the option of paying $5 a month for it and they will go for it.

Nope. They tried it with handouts and they tried it with fear..didn't work. China, Russia, South America, Eastern Europe, anyone at the poverty line and anyone who uses their brain will never fall for that scheme.

Just another example how the copyright Jews are destroying creativity and capitalism itself. Those copyright fees are so high that not even a giant like Netflix can afford them...why do you think they are loosing costumers? Of course normies gonna norm and stick to his subscription like a good slave, but everyone else sees a service that has less and less to offer.

Makes sense. Since CPUs aren't getting faster people will want to connect to the cloud for everything.

Windows has always been for niggers.

Attached: computer niggers.webm (1280x720, 1.39M)

I bet you're running Windows 10 and so yeah, you're fucked.

"Linux" is just a kernel, moron.

As long as the option for a full local install is still available, I don't mind. There are certain types of users who could benefit from a fully-managed O/S, such as boomers who buy single PCI-slot machines from big box stores. But for workstation-tier and higher, I demand a fully-local O/S.

Now LeTrayvon can pay the equivalent of only 2 KFC buckets per month to use "his" pooter for Faceberg posting. Way to go, Microsoft!

The fact that you assume I don't already know this reveals you're the moron.

"We've hit a wall with our desktop paradigm. What should be do?"
"...Put it in the cloud?"
"BRILLIANT, PAJEET!"

Microsoft is so bad at optimizing software they have to run everything on dedicated high power servers.

Start banning you derailing niggers

This

Is

Reddit spacing.

Let's crowdfund Poettering's assassination before that happens.

Only white people will use some type of linux distro
The datamining will mostly happen to niggers and leftypol faggots
I had Ubuntu - I don't know - 12? 13? installed on a slow desktop computer for my wife and she didn't like it.
That was before SSDs
I have 3 laptops right now with SSDs running a linux distro
they are blazing.
SSDs are getting cheaper - slowly though
BUY UP LAPTOPS AND DESKTOPS AT PAWN SHOPS
I wouldn't worry too much about the Intel ME though because by the time all this happens we will have some type of fix for either bypassing or destroying the ME.
Just thinking about having the Intel ME (or AMD Version of that) coupled with the Managed Operating System is just cray cray dystopia 1984....

MY SIDES

But seriously - I think everyone that uses the piss-poor argument of, "Well, if I'm not doing anything wrong, why should I care about privacy?" will be okay with this...
...until it affects them.

- - - - - - - - -

Hey asshole I just

wanted to let you

know that this is

copypasta reddit

spacing. Got it?

user, there are faggots who buy two PCIe slot machines on this very board:

no its how DaaS will look like once it completely takes over
this is the future you chose

Yeah absolute normalfags who only use their PC for social/work/school are already dead. The only demo I care about is the decent PC gamers who are too addicted to break free and will keep giving Windows legitimacy when it should be nothing but the drone OS.

Attached: grave.gif (606x423, 313.95K)

I love how the same threads appear here and on cuck /g/. The discussion here is better and there are fewer bots, though.

Do you know why we can buy PC parts and assemble a desktop PC?
It's because there are people who still buy those parts to build their gamming and/or working machines and for all of them PCs and Windows are synonymous, one and the same thing.
If microsoft kill windows with this shit they'll also kill desktop PCs as a consequence. People will just abandon the whole platform altogether and we won't be able to build a PC to install GNU/Linux anymore because there won't be an incentive for manufacturers to make PC parts anymore since the platform will be dead and/or the prices of PC hardware will skyrocket.
This is very bad news, there will be no escape from the botnet.

guys

GUYS

could this be

finally

THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Attached: 1495146242425.jpg (284x285, 20.45K)

/v/ and most gamers I know have some interest in Linux and hate anything Microsoft post-Windows 7. The only thing holding them back is Wine compatibility and that's quickly becoming less of an issue with DXVK.
Even if we don't get the "muh iTunes" market, we'll probably gain the vidya market if DaaS Windows becomes the norm.

So then gaymers will just buy fucking servers instead and use them as a desktop.

Imagine, a world where linux plays all the vidya you want

Attached: 0cf6414592b75b746bbe2facd9b53735b4ab3b03b13af0e13bab9cc7aa3d9ed9.png (420x420, 398.91K)

It's pretty fucking close to that ideal. I don't have any need for my Windows 7 partition anymore and RPCS3 is well on its way to running all my PS3 vidya.

Attached: the raj rapids.jpg (960x457, 97.61K)

Your Dubs, sir.
I have two Raspberry Poos, and they aren't that bad. srsly.
What I would like to see though, is a faster chipset and more RAM.
I mean, 1/2 gig of Ram? Plz...

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1116x580, 154.35K)

oops - I mean 1 GB ram....

Attached: Silverman PC Takeover.png (762x732, 636.58K)

If RMS was right for the botnet he's also right for this
gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html
The probleme isn't if we get games or not it's about the people that will push to have functionalities on gnu/linux.
What are they going to push ? The shinny big marketed desktop video recorder ? or the independent dev who's making the same software under GPLv3 ?
Gaming communities are the most cancerous of all communities, they do not understand, they not want to understand, all that matters is that they get what they want. And what they want does not go in the interest of software freedom.

You know what's odd - This update won't install on my Windows computer unless I COMPLETELY uninstall symantec
I get the same update message every time I turn that damn thing on.

I like to see games as something that I can make an exception for. The reason is that we don't use computer games to achieve practical problems unlike the vast majority of other software. I have an Xbox One with all its DRM and telemetry and soft copies of game as a gaming machine. I have a laptop and a desktop which are Lignux machines with the minimum of proprietary software.

That's probably more a symantec problem than anything else. SAV is a special kind of awful.

I thought this was a joke but fuck it's real. Looks like I've got a good reason to move other people over to Linux! Curious how it'll affect businesses though

Businesses don't care because they're happy with their computing infrastructure being managed by other companies.

>MMD is specifically about leasing entire systems as a service, not windows as a service
Heh.

Nigger, video games aren't like other software you can swap out at will. You might as well tell someone to throw out all non-public domain or Creative Commons literature/film/music/artwork and substitute them with permissively-licensed blogposts/webms/podcasts/dA fanart.
Is proprietary vidya ideal? Not remotely, but it's also responsible for many Mesa improvements which greatly benefit existing FOSS games and the Linux desktop experience in general. This paves the way for future FOSS vidya, and if some of it is commercially successful enough it may inspire the notoriously slow vidya industry to finally see the value of free software.

Attached: 1447198787828.png (408x408, 11.63K)

Brain problems?

Making a 4D chess move to destroy yourself?

Companies have gotten so greedy and so closed to their own politics that many are going to a direct crash while being proud about it

Just by the finances, who the fuck would go by this?
< (((Goberment agencies))) and (((international companies?))) the last one MAAYBE because they also want to spend less whenever possible
They leech taxes but they cant remain that large just with that

This non post apocalyptic time is really weird

Attached: 2328027.jpg (480x366, 19.5K)

Whoever wrote this is delusional.

Whoever wrote the article doesn't understand EULAs and free software. Users are forbidden to own proprietary software.

The TalosII has 5 PCIe slots, unless you are talking about the single socket Lite version which I don't think anyone on Zig Forums has purchased yet.

user, I have bad news...

If all you need to run is a GPU then mini-ITX mobos are great.

Boy, I sure hope you don't have a career where this is used.

Why should I care? Microsoft is going to take care of everything for me.

I don't really get not making game engines FOSS. You can keep the art assets nonfree (which is fine as far as Stallman is concerned, since he doesn't argue art is a tool, and the same four fundamental freedoms should necessarily apply) and use the same marketing model as always. You could even make the assets free and charge for compilation, which your average person won't do, and the same people who know about The Pirate Bay and still don't pirate their games for one reason or the other (maybe they don't want to risk virtual AIDS, maybe they want to support the devs, whatever), or even charge for the license to access your official serversif your game is a multiplayer game, which is a really logical thing to do because they better pay for it if they want to put a strain on your resources. Point is, the business model for FOSS and non-FOSS games is the same, and the only thing preventing libre vidya is the "muh autistic vision" meme, and the "it's MY CODE and I don't want anyone looking at it" meme that permeates corporate culture so much. The barrier against FOSS seems to be merely psychological, and that saddens me deeply.

That, and the fact that many multiplayer games are so badly designed, they trust the client so much that allowing easy tampering with it would make multiplayer a hackfest, but people already do it with or without shitty kernel level botnet anticheat systems, so whatever. Just hire a decent security guy to design the MP protocol, they are not that expensive

Security my ass. Problems will just be of a different nature.
All of this because companies want to reduce the maintenance and update costs and hires. Also, they want your data and info on their storage.

But who cares really? It's a corporations game, the user has the choice to remain distant from all of it. FUCK WINDOWS and FUCK MICROSOFT. This shit won't last, it's doomed. Nothing as shitty as Windows will last whatever business model or marketing efforts they put into it. Fear propaganda.

There are far better alternatives, at worst we will end up with TempleOS and from a certain point of view it's far better for at least it is didactical.

People only understand the way of proprietary software. The vast majority of people don't even know about a movement called the free software movement. Perhaps they might have heard of open source software but they also tend to think that people make no money with open source.

b-but then people will just create their own art assets and distribute those for people who just compiled muh engine and I won't see a penny and die in poverty while everybody plays muh game for free.

If people won't buy your game because someone else made a good standalone mod for it, they wouldn't buy your game in the first place either. The solution is to make better games.

You were warned, but you chose not to listen. This is the future you chose.

Attached: Richard.png (1000x669, 846.7K)

Mexican here. We've been using GNU/Linux for years because it's free. And if you didn't install slackware, you're still a fucking faggot.

We need to develop a sales pitch for Linux, informing normalfags about the alternatives to Office and other garbage that they might still use.

Excuse me for shilling Google products, but I think it's the best approach. Mozilla is completely pozzed now, after all.

That's not how you spell chromium.

Windows users get what they deserve. I've already moved the home laptop to Linux to get the family acquainted, and slowly introduce the idea of "consoles/Linux gaming only". WINE sure does make that an easier spoonful of medicine to get down. Eventually there will be no Windows gaming in my household, probably within the next 12 months or so.

Attached: The More You Tighten Your Grip - Star Wars Episode IV.mp4 (1280x720, 634K)

That's not how you spell Brave

Some Mexicans are white and have no Mesoamerican ancestry. You must be one of those.

Hey, did you know that you can cure someone's headache by decapitating them? It's cheap, quick, and works 100% of the time.

I'm pretty fucking brown, m8. I just happened to be bad at sports and drug running, so I had to actually learn shit.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the PC gaming community to switch as a week ago the biggest gaming/technology channel did a video on getting games to work on Linux through either Wine or a VM. Given time Microsoft will keep introducing so much cruft that slows it down or ruins the experience that gaming on Linux will become the best way to do it. No sales pitch needed.

One of the major FLOSS game engines was killed off earlier this year thanks to a lack of interest from developers and users. Since 2.8 Blender doesn't include the game engine.

If you're talking about purely commercial engines there's Panda3d that's BSD licensed and a lot of other game engines like Unreal and Lumberyard(based on CryEngine) are shared source. They've stopped giving out IdTech engines but the latest ones aren't that great either.

Attached: linuxgaming.png (296x266, 85.11K)

There are two issues to this:
1) Sufficiently dedicated autists can produce some decent looking assets... in time. A moderately big game with many assets will probably take years of dedicated autism to produce a full good looking replacement, and even then, chances are it does not look as good as the original thing. Considering the majority of sales of a game are done during its first months (in the case of AAA, the first week) I would say this is a non-issue.

Exception: Minecraft has better looking unofficial texture packs. People still pay for Minecraft, if only for the online license, or not to deal with shitty unreliable unofficial launchers.

2) If they churn out a shitty asset replacement in less than a week with Thomas Was Alone tier graphics, nobody will want to play that, unless the original game was already like that, in which case you probably deserve selling zero copies.

Anyway, look the absolute state of libre art assets in OpenGameArt. It has some gems, like Tetine Elfe (pic related), but generally speaking, it is sub-PS1 era graphics, or "my first Blender project". No absolute madman wants to produce shareable art anymore for free because the last decade has only produced insufferable "muh intellectual property doughnut steel" tumblr millenials who put restrictive licenses in comissions (yes, you paid for that; no, all you can do with it is downloading it and masturbating to it in silence, and if you ever repost it, I am going to crush you). Nobody does it for exposure, or for the enjoyment of everyone else, or for the sake of art anymore. Long gone are the days of unlikely motley teams of people on the internet joining to make something fun, specially in art. You would be surprised how strong the mob mentality in the artist communities of tumblr, dA and Twitter is, and they all try to hunt down those who work for free, or work for cheap. The only people who still work for free are those autists who eventually get their projects taken down because all they can think of is making Nintendo fangames.

tl;dr shit's fucked and nobody will make replacement assets for your game. You can sleep at night.

Attached: Tetine_elfe_preview-700x633(5).jpg (700x633, 72.34K)

Maybe engine wasn't the best choice of words, but I was including game scripts in it. Anyway, many commercial games built using libre engines have heavy modifications done to the engine (not because the engines are not good enough, because it still happens with big multimillion proprietary engines), and if we don't get the actual gameplay scripts, we may as well have the same as if the engine itself was proprietary: nothing at all.

in this instance it's more like curing the decapitation with a headache
internal AIDS is worse than external AIDS

ahem

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 34.64K)