When will someone create the definitive emacs and vim btfo?

I think we can all agree both need replacing. vim is too complex for what it does and has a lot of inefficient keybindings despite being an upgrade to, let's say, nano. emacs has about 40 layers of complexity, too many dependencies to count yet has only very basic editing capabilities out of the box.

Attached: hitoha.png (938x524, 447.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/notepadqq/notepadqq
fte.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Disagree with this. With the kill rings and undo trees, rectangle edits, you get pretty decent capabilities. On top of that, all the various things text mode gives you, it's actually pretty complex. Enough so that MacOS use the default emacs bindings in all of their dialog boxes (I still wonder how long it'll be before someone makes the brave decision to remove this).

You're right about needing a replacement for both though. Sublime is a good attempt (albeit paid), and the other trendy editors are electron-ridden pieces of crap.

When ed becomes the standard editor.

No. If it can't do terminal and doesn't have the extensibility of emacs/vim, it can't count as a replacement.

the terminal is obsolete, you can do everything from a gui now

You may not want to leave the terminal (open a new window) for quick config edits. And as the other retard said, it's a lot better to edit stuff on an headless machine rather a complicated scp/edit/scp (or emacs tramp) setup.

Anyway, if you want to replace them, you'll need to run everywhere, including terminal emulators.

What would it even look like?

And this is why vi is king. Because it's installed by default on 99% of linux distros running on 99% of remote headless webservers where you might need to occasionally ssh in and do some file fucking.

Granted but 99% of the time you don't want to do that.
Instead you want to edit source code on your 24" dual monitor desktop computer setup using a modern gui editor.
What editor do you use for that?

Who gives a shit, use whatever the fuck you want on your own machine. Just don't cry because it's not installed on everybody else's machine too. Write that lisp text editor for all I care, but don't expect it to "replace" anything.

I'm asking what (You) use for that scenario. Certainly not vi(m) right?

"ssh -x"?

Attached: i saved this because it's art.jpg (445x585, 57.34K)

Oh wow it's another shit thread

No I use Code - OSS.

is this a joke?

micro

micro is alright but has slowed development and needs more fine tuning

Yeah X11 security is a meme. Wayland is the way to go.

Attached: wayland.png (200x200, 8.77K)

No way. Going into :help in vim is like exploring an endless ASCII world. I don't want an editor that I can fully comprehend, that's boring.

When Hideaki Anno creates a girl that btfos both Rei and Asuka.
NEVAR - the flames are eternal

NSA/poetteringware

Poettering is not involved with the Wayland project. Despite what some FUD-sayers claim, Wayland does not depend on Systemd.
If anything, I feel like RedHat is trying to get rid of Poettering's mistakes. Who knows if they'll get rid of systemd, but they're already getting rid of PulseAudio in favor of Pipewire.

Another RedHat funded disaster. How did they fuck up so bad when there are so many OSes to steal from?

in what way?
ok, how would you want the display server to be? Be specific.

comfy yes

Attached: cat_drive.png (571x708, 381.41K)

Wayland is a product of the X.org maintainers. If anybody knows about a display system that fixes the problems of X.org, it's the people who maintain X.org.

I tried using VS Code at work since most of the guys in the office use it and the internet seems to act like its the hottest shit with the best LSP support. But I found it to be sort of crappy, with LSP/lint support being actually quite mediocre.

Consider its competition in the same bracket

Notepad++ works fine and is free

They are remaking it for GNU/Linux with the name Notepadqq
github.com/notepadqq/notepadqq
It looks like it made a real lot of progress since I last used it on GNU/linux years ago

You can do everything from an ipad while taking a shit now. Doesn't mean you should want to.

This. You could use vim just knowing that i is for insert mode, and :x saves and quits (assuming :set bs=2 and possibly mouse=a). The complexity is shit you want know, because it makes your life easier.

Why are you obsessed with text edtiors? There's hundreds of them. Nobody is forcing you to use those two.

Quite obvious, you may want an editor that has enough extensiblity to be used as an IDE, a TeX/roff editor and a lot of other shit. What I consider important to replace those:
1) Has a TUI and a GUI (that doesn't involve a cancer toolkit; emacs can run with Athena/Xaw without problems)
2) Has a good LSP support
3) Good syntax highlighting and completion for everything shit I use
4) Isn't written in a retarded language like Java

I guess you can try this
fte.sourceforge.net/

I'm a special snowflake too.

Extremely retarded list.