What's Zig Forums's opinion on NetworkManager?

What's Zig Forums's opinion on NetworkManager?
What do you think about its alternatives?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1500x1000, 652.87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nullr0ute.com/2016/09/connect-to-a-wireless-network-using-command-line-nmcli/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wpa_supplicant + dhcpcd just werks and isn't horrible redhatware.

I use dhcpcd and openvpn and I've yet to face any problems, aside from having to manually restart them once a month or so. And that's more of a problem of my modem crapping out.

>>>/g/

It seems pretty convenient for laptop WiFi
nullr0ute.com/2016/09/connect-to-a-wireless-network-using-command-line-nmcli/
# nmcli device wifi rescan# nmcli device wifi list# nmcli device wifi connect SSID-Name password wireless-password
Not sure any of the other network utilities offer anything this streamlined from the shell.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (651x654, 91.52K)

Optional:
>wpa_supplicant -B -i -c wpa_cli connect

is there sytem tray icon for wpa_supplicant?

Hmm seems pretty straightforward. I normally shyed away from wpa-supplicant because the distro documentation on it is inconsistent, with some telling you that you can do wpa_cli, while others refer to editing a config file with a specific syntax.

Connection Manager seems alright as well. What do you think about that one?

I've heard wicd is better, I normally just use wpa_supplicant+dhcpcd though.

I was going to post this.

I think wicd doesn't have VPN support.

it's doodoo just like we concluded in

mega b8

connman does the same
wicd does the same

Both connman and wicd do this better. wicd is slower to respond to changes in network interfaces though, and it stops attempting to reconnect to an access point after a set period of time.

It's the only network manager that I haven't hated using, and the only intel software I don't hate.

connman does :-)

The immense jewry of intel leads me to believe connman might be compromised (on top of the fact that it's literally called con-man), but perhaps that's just me being paranoid. Judging by the archwiki, it does seem to have a convenient command-line tool like the nmcli above.

It's probably true though. Kikes just love rubbing the shit they get away with in your face, hiding in plain sight. I wish the holocaust happened. Polite sage.

Polite bump

It does the job for me but could be better
/thread

Nm-applet doesn't load when my laptop is offline. Which makes it close to useless

Sometimes it hangs trying to get a DHCP lease until I reset my switch or re-lug the ethernet cable, and nm-applet lacks dropout protection for VPNs. Apart form that it's ok I guess.

I preferred the days of modprobing and manually editing /etc/whatever.

I fired up a debian live USB on my T60 yesterday to do some testing. At some point networkmanager disabled wifi for no discernible reason and would not bring it back up. After a few minutes I gave up and plugged in the Ethernet cable. The applet was still frozen and didn't acknowledge that it was connected, but I was online again.
That same machine normally runs Gentoo, where I use the standard netifrc initscripts, wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd to control networking. Everything about that setup works perfectly 100% of the time.

i had to remove some checksum in WPA (probably making the connection insecure but whatever) in wpa_supplicant in order to connect to some network once. maybe only some special snowflake macfag crap could connect to it, or my drivers were broken. wireless is dickballs. if i had network manager it would have just taken an extra 5 hourse to work out what the problem was

I didn't like NetworkManager until today until I switched it over to IWD. wpa_supplicant has always been a buggy piece of shit, and I always mistakenly blamed the issues on NM. Most people have the opposite experience from me, however, so take what I say with a lot of salt.

I worry about it.
The fact that it has a built in dns cacher which can be disabled is somewhat troubling.
It's primary target is embedded, so my thinking is that jewtel wants reliable networking so that the proper botnet shit can communicate.

I just hope that's the case.

Sad. Ceni is what I use. It's ncurses, so terminal but I don't have to deal with any weird syntax things.

lmao