They said you couldn't install linux without a dvd or usb drive

They said you couldn't install linux without a dvd or usb drive.
But I did it.
Oh yes I did.

Attached: movie-star-news-clint-eastwood-portrait-in-classic-with-cigarette-in-his-mouth_a-G-14442516-8363142.jpg (473x355, 17.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/app/streetwalrus.usbmountr
github.com/Streetwalrus/android_usb_msd/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why would anyone think you can't install it without a card reader?

netboot? floppies?

My notebooks somehow can't boot from card reader.

No I partitioned part of my drive to fat32
Then I used a live usb program to install it to the partitioned drive

Does an external hard drive count?
Although mighty legends speak of such heroism, network boot can be achieved for both DOS and Unix since many years ago.

The question is, what kind of device gives no option for either DVD or USB, or both? Or perhaps you are experiencing the true information era of redundant DVD players and writers, using only USB and Ethernet.

7/10.

So you used a usb drive.

He used an internal harddrive. He used a usb *program* on the hdd to install it.

Nobody said that.

Good for you OP, bet it took a few tries to work since you posted this. I install using PXE too and with apt-cacher-ng as a local repository cache. Once set up, it's as easy as it can be.

I might try this with Windows 10, later.

Indeed. Unless they were stupid. Like OP.

Was this a live-cd?

There was someone on this board who said he installed GNU/Linux from a virtualbox image.

Use an ISO file like a white man

Boot off floppy and then just do a ftp "net" install. Wow so hard.

Didn't work. unetbootin would not let me select the drive I wanted to use.

Got it to work after all. (Win10 Pro was too cancerous for me.) Turns out that unetbootin needs to be started with the option 'targetdrive=[drive]' to select a different hard drive.
Of course, the whole exercise was kind of pointless since modern USB sticks are so fast that a few hundred megabyte per second more barely make a difference.

like he said, a drive using the usb format as an interface
a usb drive

>USB Mountr (Use your device as a USB flash drive) - f-droid.org/app/streetwalrus.usbmountr

github.com/Streetwalrus/android_usb_msd/

I have multiple Linux distros on my tablets very large micro SD card, I live boot whatever I need whenever I need.

This is what I currently have, some of them are for playing around with until I get tired of them, then they go into the archive.

Attached: iso.png (1200x842, 103.25K)

What a dicovery, OP!
You might just have saved us all by discovering what I already did 3 years ago. How much of a genius

Yeah, the problem is most pc's don't have a floppy drive anymore.

Where is USB in this? He's talking about an INTERNAL DRIVE, which is probably connected with SATA or something.

Are you posting from the early 2000s, user?
Installing an OS from sources other than optical disks is nothing new nowadays. Are you working with a legacy motherboard that cannot boot from USB drives?

I thought your post was about something like setting up a deployment server over your LAN with several OS flavors.

Also,

Try that. I would also recommend paying attention to and for further learning.

Attached: 149383953648.gif (300x305, 1.49M)

Let me guess, your mobile data is faster than your home connection?

I was away from my house, the tablet goes with me everywhere so that I have more screen real estate when unable a desktop or laptop my home data is wired and it is much faster.

Are you retarded