09.29.18 | 12:01 AM

09.29.18 | 12:01 AM
'''Exclusive: Tim Berners-Lee tells us his radical new plan to upend the World Wide Web'''
With an ambitious decentralized platform, the father of the web hopes it’s game on for corporate tech giants like Facebook and Google.
BY KATRINA BROOKER5 MINUTE READ

Attached: nig-inrupt.jpg (937x527 44.22 KB, 81.06K)

Other urls found in this thread:

solid.inrupt.com/docs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Source? Also how would this all continue to work when after the tech giants start to mess with it?

This info must be read somehow. What's keeping someone from caching it on another machine? What if you don't want any identity? Does it work over TCP/IP or is it something completely different? It sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how he will overcome these issues.

Well, here are the docs on the official page: solid.inrupt.com/docs
Maybe someone less lazy than me can figure it out.

It seems like it will work over TCP/IP, and will be based on extensions to HTTP, HTML, etc.

I still don't understand how this will keep the other party from saving the info while reading it then selling it to someone else.

Don't we have IPFS already?

How does that prevent someone copying everything you shared and share it again for profit?

This. He is Tim Berners-Lee pushed for WebDRM and ultimately made it an official standard. There is alse "venture backing ", so capitalist leeches looking to charge rent, and you are the moron who will finance their profits..

a. that's not an issue
b. it can't be prevented
c. software that tries to prevent it is bloat and botnet

Internet ID

Can you clearly, without sperging out and making my screen orange with cheeto dust, explain the problem its trying to solve?

'Decentralized web platform' is the new investor attracting buzzword there's even a comedy show called Silicon Valley about this very premise.

The only reason why Netscape was such a game changer is the competent people who realized that users were going to be spending more time using the web browsers of the future more than the operating system beneath once the internet started gaining traction. I remember one of the early creators of Netscape boasting that the OS was going to be mitigated to the background as a service layer when everything moved to the web. He was right.

Will never gain any traction. see

lol why did i expect anything different

and "Hundreds of academics at top UK universities accused of bullying"
KEK

Tim Berners-Lee isn't as clever as many people seem to believe he is. He didn't create the idea of hypertext, and if he hadn't developed the "Web" at CERN, someone else would have developed something similar. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and his was the idea that caught on, particularly because plebs like pretty pictures (which Gopher doesn't do, at least inline).

Berners-Lee has spent the past 20 years trying to come up with his next act. There were dozens (hundreds?) of articles in the late 90s and early 00s about how his Semantic Web was going to be the next big thing, and of course that never went anywhere. The only reason anyone takes him seriously is because of what he started at CERN. That will remain his life's greatest, and only significant, accomplishment. He's just another Idea Guy™.

the Xanadu dudes invented hypertext, not Gopher, if that's what you're implying

I guess I'll have to wait until the next thread about this to find out what this is about

Same article with all the stupid bullshit removed:

So who hosts the "pod"?

Licensing probably. They can't sell the cached data. Kinda like Last.fm: you upload your scrobbles and just because Zuckerberg can follow your profile and see your obscure tastes, doesn't mean he can use it and sell it. It's not licensed to him. If everyone personally licenses their own information, only they can sell it; therefore, kikebook cannot.

although I'm also speaking out of my ass and this could be entirely wrong, rights-burner lee is a sellout and a traitor after all

You can apply the same frase practically whit anyone. For example:

I think he get close to the heart of the issue: people want their own servers, but they don't have those, so their using all these webapps instead. You want to be able to use your mail client from anywhere, but you can't install apps on your friends computer, and if you did it wouldn't have your settings. So you use webmail instead, and give yourself to the goolag. What people would ideally do is rent a vm on a server somewhere, and run a custom email server + web server there, which they could access from anywhere.

But the real problem with the web today is that people don't want to pay for shit. People use facebook yes because they want to do social networking but someone needs to host the profiles, but also because it's free (and all your friends are on it). It can only manage to be free because it takes data from its users and shows them ads. Any service that doesn't find a way to charge people money and still be popular is doomed to recreate the same solution.

I trust that tim has good intentions, but I'd be willing to bet this goes nowhere.

But don't you see that tim is trying to do the same thing?
He is using solid to host applications. This completes the circle of the web browser replacing the OS.

My guess is that you will only let people you know look at the data. You're trusting that they wont sell it/by mistake give it away.

CoC

Attached: Screenshot_20180930-010538.png (1200x1920, 632.04K)

It was not. And while Ted Nelson coined the word hypertext, the concept predates him, too.

You're correct. However, Bjarne Stroustrup is quite a bit more clever than Tim Berners-Lee.

It seems to be akin to federation, so basically anyone can. You could, your friend could, more likely there will be some popular and less popular providers.

Join me in the KEKPOD. when it exists

Checked. He solved the puzzle that was before everyone. The pieces were available to all, but he actually did it. He deserves recognition.

Interesting dubs.

Hypertext was an invention, like the web, that would have eventually occurred. However, it could have taken decades more time to discover.

Consider Twitter. It wasn't invented back then, but it could have been. But eventually scrolling the other way, and constraining to telegram-ish length would have been invented.

Attached: in_to_the_trash_it_goes.jpg (1240x786, 212.54K)

are those the actual people working there or is it a photo op designed to be as inclusive as possible?

Attached: 1946489298184.png (243x271, 81.79K)

GO REGISTER YOUR PODS

frizzy haired jew on the left, big mouthed jewess on the right, yep, it's real.

_of course_ the god of webshotters loves CoC

Does this do anything that can't be accomplished with Retroshare?

its backwards compatible

Is this like Urbit?

I'm not that familiar with Retroshare, but it doesn't appear to do anything that installing diaspora and OwnCloud would do.

Looks like a stock image of a design studio or something
Pods is vaporware that exists on one man's laptop as far as i can tell.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 10.32.38 PM.png (1440x578 144.98 KB, 248.97K)

Yep stock image

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 10.39.30 PM.png (1431x731 527.91 KB, 473.8K)

Why do you want to restrict people's ability to freely disseminate information? The problem it's trying to solve is people want to host shit that gets taken down (like movies) and IPFS offers a way to host a website like a torrent meaning all of the users of the website can host it which greatly helps to resist censorship. On top of that it's just faster than centralized hosting (if its popular, at least).

It's only a problem if you're a copyright advocate, in which case fuck off.

I'm calling it before reading it, It's gonna be a meme isn't it?
IT'S A FUCKING MEME

This is supposed to be a "radical new plan" but it's just more JavaScript bullshit. An user here mentioned the Overton window and it explains how shills can make you only think about policies acceptable to them. Keeping HTTP, REST, HTML, and JavaScript is considered "radical" so that means any attempt at replacing them becomes "unthinkable."

The reason I would want a "radical new plan to upend the World Wide Web" is very simple. Web browsers are tens of millions of lines of code, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript are all too complicated and suck, and they keep getting more bloated by adding bullshit instead of replacing them with something better. Most of JavaScript was "defined" by the unintentional results of whatever the Netscape interpreter happened to do, just like C and the PDP-11, instead of any clear thinking about language design. Current browsers also depend on C or C++, which means millions more lines of code in the compiler. If you want something else, like a Lisp OS or an Ada OS, you will still need a C++ compiler for the browser. A small browser would allow many implementations in any language.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

But it's much worse than than because you need to invokethis procedure call before entering the block.Preallocating the storage doesn't help you. I'll almostguarantee you that the answer to the question "what'ssupposed to happen when I do ?" used to be"gee, I don't know, whatever the PDP-11 compiler did." Nowof course, they're trying to rationalize the language afterthe fact. I wonder if some poor bastard has tried to do adenotational semantics for C. It would probably amount to atranslation of the PDP-11 C compiler into lambda calculus.

How big of a role do you think Tim Berners-Lee actually had in creating this? It feels to me like Solid MIT is just using him as a mascot to get publicity.

10/10

btw this is a meme, look at their GitHub and laugh.

I'm confused. How is this different fron p2p systems? It's still using http/https

Most p2p systems function.
This doesn't.
That is how it is different.

You don't have anonymity and there is a single point of failure for everything.

Solving a hardware problem with software? That's like the downloading more ram meme. Only thing that will save us is the mesh network. Which can be shutdown by the FCC.... so...