Groff/Troff General

Groff/Troff General

Since it rather hard to find good documentation about groff, i created this thread were you can share documentation, tips and you can discuss, about both groff and troff.

Attached: 41D1VMyu48L._SX218_BO1 204 203 200_QL40_.jpg (220x284, 7.23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-p5XmQHB_JRe2YeaMjPTKXSc5FqJZ_km
bitchute.com/video/w8EKH_fjmXA/https://www.bitchute.com/video/kJ_TXZB4Gm4/https://www.bitchute.com/video/XfOwRYmb5bQ/https://www.bitchute.com/video/yTQbi_E_Gys/
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf
mandoc.bsd.lv
man.openbsd.org/mdoc.7#DESCRIPTION
github.com/fniessen/org-html-themes
github.com/rasputin-machine/mark2troff.git
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/361274/how-do-i-convert-a-troff-manpage-with-utf-8-characters-czech-to-be-precise-to
gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.pdf
schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html
texdoc.net/texmf-dist/doc/latex/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.pdf
troff.org/books.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-p5XmQHB_JRe2YeaMjPTKXSc5FqJZ_km

A tip I was a little slow learning is that if you have special characters in your document you can just add a -k and it will format the characters correctly

Example:

Could you please provide a link to a non google service?

Literal "it's better cuz it's more minimal lolz" autism. It's vastly inferior to LaTeX.

is LaTeX also better for manpages?

[O'Reilly] [1988] Unix Text Processing has a nroff/troff section followed by all the other tools (tbl, eqn, etc...).

here's all the videos in a another meme website
bitchute.com/video/w8EKH_fjmXA/https://www.bitchute.com/video/kJ_TXZB4Gm4/https://www.bitchute.com/video/XfOwRYmb5bQ/https://www.bitchute.com/video/yTQbi_E_Gys/

in order to actually use groff you have to learn some gay preprocessors

How is groff minimal? I've been browsing these man pages and they are very dense. Getting started isn't very easy.

How is it that I can post this in every single groff/troff thread and still no one ever links to it but me?
chuzzlewit.co.uk/utp_book-1.1.pdf

Why would i use groff over LaTeX?

Fuck off, Luke.

no, but mandoc is mandoc.bsd.lv
man.openbsd.org/mdoc.7#DESCRIPTION

manpages

Would groff be a good fit for someone who writes...
Occasional man pages and/or program documentation.
Le Generic Epic High-Fantasy Novel #1125899906842624
Shitty little web articles for their 2 hits a year blog?
Anything else that may need to be converted to HTML.
Or should I just jump into LaTeX instead?

this

Attached: b57b0326.jpg (884x934, 58.34K)

Man pages, yes; program documentation, depends on the documentation
Some lighweight markup like markdown, rst, org, etc.
See above, or just straight HTML.
See above above.
You should use pandoc markdown, restructuredtext, asciidoc, etc.

something like groff yeah
write it in org-mode and use the ReadTheOrg theme: github.com/fniessen/org-html-themes

because it's a huge pain in the ass and has no gui

Thanks. I'll look into rst and org. Mainly asking because regular old md isn't to my liking.
org-mode is looking really nice for most of my purposes. I really like the idea of using it as a personal organization tool. I already use emacs anyway.

Should i write school papers in groff?
I use vim BTW.

fuck off Luke you boomer

Its amazing how many newbies dont know that you can just run a straight txt file through groff and get "typeset" results. Yes, you have to double-line break in some areas, but 'getting started' is actually very simple.

I get that with nroff. groff outputs a mass of postscript.
the 'man' command likes nroff output OK.

knowing luke, you probably wrote this as you tend to larp as someone who hates himself, what an ego

epic

epic.
look at this poster obv. doesn't know about godzilla.
what a fucking moron.

yikes

do you mean roff, nroff, groff and troff?
groff is just gnu roff

I've been working on a program to convert a markdown-style document into a troff document. You can just stick it to the top of your roff pipe and have a completly sane way of writing troff documents. I'll post a git link once it's done.

it's not done yet but here's the repo
github.com/rasputin-machine/mark2troff.git

Stop sucking Luke Smith's cock.
Markdown + Pandoc is the ultimate redpilled way to write documents, except when you need precise formatting and control over your presentation: in that case, use LaTeX.
The great thing about this method is the incredible flexibility it provides: the original source text files are easily readable directly on a terminal, and also look well formatted thanks to Markdown syntax. You can then convert them to pdfs, html pages, anything really. Pandoc now even supports groff output.

Pandoc is a gigantic pile of Haskell code which is supposed to do everything, and have fun compiling it and installing Haskell just for it, and also Markdown does not really do any fun typesetting if you are into that.
And the LaTeX syntax is god-awful and even people who like LaTex know that.
Also, just learn one typesetter well, and just use it, and that I think is the main point, this is fres software, you are free to choose.

No. I've used it extensively for lab reports that include math formulas, minipages, images and lots of tables. It is very readable.

The only way to make LaTeX readable is to either use someone else's library that has everything sorted out, or write your own huge preamble. In either case you have just tucked away the ugly bits. LaTeX syntax is crap, but what's even worse is programming (La)TeX to do what you want it to do.

What do you want for describing the markup of a document? Do you want Lisp and s-expressions? Do you want Perl syntax? Do you want Python syntax?

If it was me
vim.txt -> vim.fmt -> vim.groff
vim.txt, normal text you write
vim.fmt, same doc with groff markup to format doc
vim.groff, formatted output from groff

just lol at you tards

Only if you can't stand latex at all. I don't see any reason not to use latex if you're doing something scientific. If you're extra lazy use md, maybe.

It's more simple

Any chance you guys know how to encode to Cyrillic?

Stop using dead writing.

Just encode your document as UTF-8 and set the encoding for groff.

фаггот

It is set as my default encoding in vim, exporting seems fine.
Which command will exactly do this?

troff only supports ascii text by default.
The preconv preprocessor can be used to convert any unicode characters into a format which troff can understand. Alternatively you can pass the -k option to troff which will automatically pass any input through preconv.

All variants are printing this:
[code]warning: can't find special character `u044B'
warning: can't find special character `u0432'
warning: can't find special character `u0444'[code]

Haha, yeah I watched Luke's video on groff too.

I have been using groff for the last few weeks for all my school papers and i'm really starting to like it.

luke smith pls go and stay go

Attached: 1536875226139.jpg (480x480, 24.92K)

I had a quick search and it seems to a problem with the ps/pdf output.
This stackoverflow post may help.
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/361274/how-do-i-convert-a-troff-manpage-with-utf-8-characters-czech-to-be-precise-to

Fuck off luke lol
Now that that's out of the way i do like groff because it isn't as bloated as LaTeX. I am too lazy to learn any new markup language so i just use md2roff to convert my md files to man files which i then convert to pdfs.

Attached: fa29e6683434134b4a00a02b6068959cadbac35efa2bbe7fab3d220622220cff.jpg (300x188, 17.37K)

You could use it to make websites, like make an HTML version of the documents you have already created.

Well I use it because the I think the refer command is way superior to that of LaTeX and something like word

Can i convert Groff_MS to .odt or .docx format??

Bump

Hey i want to know how to add the table of contents in groff_ms documents in the beginning of the documents instead of the end?

and how to change the “Table of Contents” text to match my native language (Danish)?

Let's have a troff,groff, and Latex thread.
Discuss languages, macros, templates, sperg out about documents, r8 muh resume etc. Text editors shitslinging also welcome.
Links:
>gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.pdf
>schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html
>texdoc.net/texmf-dist/doc/latex/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e.pdf

Pandoc's docx/odt >> LaTeX conversion isn't the best around but it worked fairly well and I was able to repair the compile errors with only a handful of tweaks which is impressive none-the-less.
MD > LaTeX is flawless though. Tecently I've started to take notes on Markdown instead and convert that into my LaTeX documents as needed. Admittedly haven't used the troff-like stuff yet because LaTeX is super comfy for now.

Pandoc should be able to do it. Groff source documents are simple, pandoc usually only has trouble converting from complex source documents so it should be no problem.

Luke is a dummy who doesn't realize that MS Word has a built-in bibliography database feature.
Still, making anons talk about typesetting is probably his number 1 contribution to the tech space.
If only he switched imeme for bspwm.

Attached: 1544320270578.png (755x464, 122.25K)

I am pretty sure he and everyone in this thread wants to avoid MS Word like the plague.

Correct, Libreoffice doesn't have a Table of Contents feature and I went through hell importing odts into word using a VM.

That finally made me learn to set up LaTeX.

troff.org/books.html

I just switched to Groff from LaTeX around a week ago, anybody got some good recourses?

I had to write some report recently and for some reason I thought latex was good and that I had used it a bunch about 5 years ago.
After fucking hours of trying to get images, bibliography to work properly I went back and checked and it turned out I didn't use latex but openoffice.
It's just another productivity trap. And looking at the syntax of groff that seems about the same.