What is some good cheap desktop hardware that's compatible with openbsd...

What is some good cheap desktop hardware that's compatible with openbsd? I have a skylake thinkpad that works quite well but the intel driver is pretty shitty and won't work with my external monitor so I'm looking to get some actual desktop hardware.

Attached: 1200px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png (1200x781, 179.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gabe.svbtle.com/openbsd-and-the-intel-nuc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WRONG THREAD

Bump because this is a good thread. -d8^D~

First I would like to mention "New World" PowerPC Macintosh systems. G3, G4, and G5 all are comfy homes for OpenBSD. Also they come pretty cheap too on the private resell markets. They're not intel garbage either! OpenFirmware is also comfy as heck!

What about used sun/oracle SPARC systems?

man 4 radeon

Haven't used them (poorfag)

they cost about as much as a refurbished Thinkpad. A few years back I had a couple of SPARC desktops, each originally costing tens of thousands of dollars, for $200.

OP here. I almost ordered an old preowned optiplex but then I found this article gabe.svbtle.com/openbsd-and-the-intel-nuc and I saw the exact same preowned model on a craigslist-like website and bought it. It runs perfectly so far.

Thank you.

Is eBay good enough for searching for SPARC stuff or is there some other place
What should I watch out for
Seems nice to own a SPARC system, even if it's just for the novelty

eBay's where I got mine. Didn't have any trouble at all. Just look out for the usual problems.
For example, if someone's selling Nintendo's brand new SPARC system that just got released, consider that they're probably hoping to take your money, delay until they can get a system cheap, and then buy it.
I recommend immediately seeking a refund through the service in this case.

Huh 3d rendering doesn't seem to work. Sigh. I don't have time to troubleshoot it now. At least hardware acceleration works on the desktop, video plays fine and the desktop isn't lagging.

Dont forget about power consumption after buying it, it will add a lot to what you'll save during purchase.

I recently installed a OpenBSD on an ibook G4, and I haven't been very impressed. There is very little useful software in the ports, and sound fails to function on all of the ibooks/powerbooks I've tried it on. Am I just doing it wrong?

what do you need to do

LibreOffice, A multimedia player, a web browser that supports javascript, etc.. Ya know, stuff that one would use for day to day productivity. These packages all exist on the x86 side, but not so much for PPC.

Anyone answer

I run NetBSD on macppc and its fine. I use pkgsrc to build everything I need so I don't have to depend on ports.

OpenBSD builds everything on real hardware instead of cross compiling so sometimes it takes a wile to fill out ports on slower hardware after a release.

Older Intel hardware from 2009-2011 is usually compatible

Those chips are still botnet bugware though. I tried to boot an armv7 and the framebuffer didn't work right, just got a blank screen when the kernel loaded the wsdisplay driver. The screen works fine in u-boot, and on NetBSD. Anyway there's also no stuff like LibreOffice, Firefox, Chrome for OpenBSD/arm.

Turned out to be a problem with the old version of fvwm openbsd is shipping with. Doesn't work on twm either. But it works on cwm, and a newer fvwm. A bit disappointing.

Thinkpad t440p here. Any issue regarding compatibility?

I have a G3 and prefer to get use out of it, which is why it runs MacOS 9.2.

What web browser do you use?

Those all exist in OpenBSD's ports collection. They may not be available as packages but can't you just build the port? Did you even know there is a difference between ports and packages?

I have no idea about old PowerPC systems, but it would probably suck to build Firefox on an A20 or other commonly used ARM SoC.

you're forgetting that this board is the most rtfm/not-normie tech site there is. I'm pretty sure as soon as mentioned his needs, some shitposter (that probably doesn't hold a tech job at all) will probably harp on about how 'botnet' something is.

The user you are replying to is correct. The state of ports and packages on non-x86 arches is bad and has been for at least five years.

The port's Makefile says "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS= amd64 i386"
mpv: Makefile says "BROKEN-powerpc = atomics detection fails"
firefox-esr: "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS = amd64 i386"
qtwebengine: "ONLY_FOR_ARCHS = ${CLANG_ARCHS} amd64". powerpc is a GCC arch.
IIRC webkitgtk4 doesn't build.
chromium and iridium haven't ever worked on ppc.
qtwebkit 5.9 is outdated but still packaged. Browsers based on that are the only option to satisfy his requirements, but I don't know of any in the tree and as a result I haven't tested it.