Hellboy

Favorite Hellboy strip? Mine has to be this one.

Attached: [0]n-[0]NA66FNkmiPblyTsXKmLDVHjnv3o8l2I7tvH6mj.jpg (575x915, 76.05K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
michaelm.art/hellboysaltofthesea/
youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU
youtube.com/watch?v=KaN9PEHOgkQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>look out, it's a monkey!
>it has a gun!
BLAM

That's a good one too

Conqueror Worm is the best Hellboy story convince me otherwise

Attached: Conquerer Worm.jpg (1041x1600, 315.9K)

Good stuff.

Attached: hellboyskeletons.jpg (480x360, 40.11K)

>Hellboy thread
Fucking based

I had to send this message three times, I fucking suck today.

Attached: Screenshot_20200423-114116_Readler2-1.jpg (1012x455, 144.98K)

Attached: Hellboy 4chan.jpg (939x358, 75K)

Attached: HellboyOofT.jpg (1988x3056, 1.23M)

Amen.

New Zig Forums banner?

Replace Zig Forums with Twitter and that's how I feel

I like the one where he fights a nazi and falls through a floor and fights a Nazi, thank god that’s in every issue

>He's only read Seed of Destruction, Wake the Devil, and Conqueror Worm.
Kek, read more Hellboy. It might make your bait better.

you're 2000% right tho.

Attached: hb_04_026.jpg (1280x1971, 1.2M)

Something about the eyes gets me every time.

Attached: RCO112_1583383070.jpg (1332x2048, 600.7K)

Can this even be considered bait? There's got to be a minimum effort threshold.

New favorite banner.

Gets you horny?

same desu

I would a Nimue

It's weird how this is only the third time aliens have shown up in the Mignolaverse.

>Hellboy will never fight kaijus in Japan teaming up with Ultraman

Attached: With Ultraman.jpg (1275x1650, 176.86K)

His mecha Hellboy looks sick.

forgot pic

Attached: demonic robo.jpg (640x828, 44.3K)

That's pretty cool

I really want Mignola to do something involving kaiju.

Attached: 2.jpg (1024x1666, 1.68M)

Attached: 3.jpg (1024x1574, 1.56M)

I missed their friendship in the later issues of Hellboy. Haven't read the other comics.

Hollow Earth had some peak wholesome.

Attached: RCO052_1469418089.jpg (1988x3056, 1.43M)

We need more Hellboy and baby Liz comics

Attached: Hellboy Winter Special One-Shot-025.jpg (1987x3056, 1.71M)

What Hellboy comic is that?

hellboy winter special 2016

Hehe, monke.

This should be a proper banner.

From the Winter Special.

Attached: Hellboy Winter Special One-Shot-028.jpg (1987x3056, 2.16M)

Attached: Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. - 1956 001-008.jpg (1987x3056, 1.04M)

Attached: Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. - 1956 001-009.jpg (1987x3056, 991.49K)

press F for the good boy

What story is this?
Man I got so much more Hellboy to read

Baba Yaga'a Feast.

It's collected with the Weird Tales volumes.

All you need to know about Hellboy in about 5 panels.

Attached: RCO018_1582320792.jpg (1024x1536, 517.99K)

Thoughts on this mini? Read it a long time ago, I remember not caring for how it characterized the first Flame as a fallen hero.

Attached: 91ONM1pkEXL.jpg (1665x2560, 684.29K)

BPRD 123 (Broken Equation) had kaiju fights.

Attached: B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth 123-010.jpg (3360x2583, 2.7M)

I hope we get an adaption one day that tried to translate that into sound. It's a shame we didn't get more sigils instead of chants; something about it seems excessively otherworldly.

Attached: RCO006.jpg (1024x1574, 349.81K)

>YEEAAAAHH
youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

Great now I’m sad.

What a chad.

they need to release a lobster johnson omnibus

I wanted to renew my pass to do the Chronological Mignolaverse storytime again but they only except crypto-currency now

Attached: BPRD-HoE-TToJHO'D-024.jpg (1024x1575, 494.49K)

I think its on the docket after The Devil You Know omni, which was set to release in August. However, due to coronachan fucking everything up, who the hell knows when we'll get it,

Hopefully the LJ omnibus gets released by the near end of the year.

I have a question to anyone who own the omnis, are they smaller then the library editions/ the single issues
I know dark horse omnis are sometimes smaller then other releases

Hopefully you can get it sorted out. Those storytimes are comfy and usually spawn interesting discussion.
Are you the guy who did Wake the Devil last week?

Attached: ogdru jahad.jpg (500x496, 96.69K)

No that was someone else, I was reading along tho

Does anyone know if they're making more Lobster material. It's been a while since I've read it, but BPRD seemed to imply there was more between Arnie Wald's death and the fateful night at Hunte Castle.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure,
all the wickedness that mankind can produce,
we send against unto them, only... pancakes

Attached: hellboy pancakes.jpg (1247x888, 238.03K)

Truly Mignola's best work.

Attached: BPRD-48-02-13.jpg (1280x1969, 911.43K)

Its just so silly. I love it.

hellboy fan comic, check it out michaelm.art/hellboysaltofthesea/

Attached: h06.png (2000x2500, 809.24K)

daryl should have been an BPRD agent he was a good family man.

Whats the problem? You can buy less than one bitcoin.

Pretty wholesome comic mate, and I liked how you guys touched upon the big brother dynamic between Hellboy and Liz.

Hell, I’d love to see Mignola do his own Ultraman series. Not a shitty retelling like Marvel’s doing, just let him run wild.

Hellboy in Hell is absolutely top stuff imo, beautiful art and atmosphere

Attached: RCO074.jpg (1041x1600, 157.22K)

Enlarge Zig Forums and save it for when there's another competition for new banners.

Best story and you just posted the best page in Hellboy.
And I just realised who those heads belong to.

Hard to believe the same artist did Gates of Heaven.

True

Hellboy telling various gods and demons to fuck off is always based

Attached: Capture.png (729x1077, 435.15K)

I have never read hellboy but I recently read and watched this by the same guy: youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU

someone needs to make a gif of the fight scene at 0:59

is hellboy as good as screw on head?

Yes, in fact it’s better because it has a proper beginning, middle, and end that’s chock full of fairy tales, mythologies, and lovecraftian horror. I would also recommend it’s companion book the BPRD:Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth, along with Lobster Johnson. The BPRD series practically begins after the events of Conquerer Worm, so it’s best to read them in chronological order.

its been a while i've read this story but why did hellboy consider this the worst place on earth?

Attached: 1528602774077.png (827x539, 219.49K)

It’s a old nazi outpost that tortures prisoners, creates a project to wake up the Ogdru Jahad, and uses both corpses and energy to unleash a lovecraftian worm to descend upon an unsuspecting European village.

whose heads

WHO HEADS THO?

That was me, but I kinda gave up because I've been exhausted ( and because it didn't seem like many people were reading ).

Plus, I don't have a Pass, so it's just time-consuming.

Attached: 1396520228017.jpg (1280x2003, 377.43K)

Saints based on the initials and dates

woah

what a fucking book

I just got finished reading all of Hellboy and am now backtracking and reading all of the BPRD.

It's so good man, I highly recommend everything.

Hellboy is essentially "done" now, right? I haven't been keeping up since around whenever Abe's solo was a few issues in or something. I should probably catch up.

Attached: 1569807502767.jpg (1680x2583, 1.21M)

Still need to get these.

Attached: 1510329908508.jpg (1439x912, 184.52K)

Attached: Hellboy Hearing about Hellblazer.jpg (918x382, 365.11K)

Yeah, it’s story is pretty much over.

Attached: Hellboy screw you.jpg (692x558, 89.01K)

I'M GOING HOME

Unironically the best Hellboy strip.

Corben is a hero
the hand is all wrong

This absolutely needs to be a banner

feels like 80% of hellboys throughout the series is different variations of "oh crap" "damn" and "screw you mythological creature." I love my grumpy rock arm antirchrist.

Attached: hellboy crap.jpg (267x458, 29.64K)

Attached: 1502012562362.jpg (391x353, 42.67K)

Attached: Hellboy Reading Constantine.png (1036x1037, 611.85K)

GODDAMNIT! I can't find that one panel where he talks to that one devil's grandma and explains the situation, now that's one's Hellboy in one panel.

Ohh, very nice.

Was it in Hellboy in Hell?

shit: meet fan.

I absolutely adored Hellboy in Hell, just top tier art and story telling.

First post most correct post, good job Zig Forums.
Now, what else is there..?

I still hope for Hellboy to one day find the Screw on Head, or at the very least Mike to give us a sequel.

It's alright; thanks for trying.

stuff like this makes me think Guillermo del toro just likes having monster x human females in his movies, he changed hellboys and lizs relationship in the film and the shape of water won him an oscar, the nerd from pacific rim wanted to fuck that kaiju brain.

Have you seen his monster memorabilia collection? He definitely wants to fuck monsters.

I forgot the Sabrina thing existed; I'll have to go and read it one day.

Never not a lol.
Lol.

Didn't it get shelved in favour of Afterlife With Archie?

I think so, yes. Some guy got a whip that would spawn gold coins in exchange for his soul, unless he could guess what the devil would give him for dinner and how.

Yup, I’m pretty sure that Devil’s Grandma panel is from Hellboy in Hell. So thanks user for correcting my assumption.

Well, have a couple of pages saved beyond what anons have already posted. This one, idk if it's that great in-universe but
>smug erudition
What a line.

Attached: 1552838577646.jpg (1024x1575, 737.2K)

Continuing the 'what a line' theme
>why NOT fight a whole army of skeletons
And the sympathetic shoulder there, lel.

Attached: 1552796449750.jpg (1280x1969, 819.45K)

I always liked that panel, it’s basically a calm before the storm, until he fights Koschei and shit just hit’s the van.

And... Thirdly, on writing talent,
>I am a Goddess and I cannot. You are sooooo much less.
>>I CAN AND I WILL
probably should've cropped these down, but context does aid...
On this tho Rasputin REEEING so hard, to an extent reality can be bent under the power of a Reeee. Other hand, sometimes right from the horses' mouth and ya gotta take it.

Attached: 1552245210492.jpg (600x888, 134.62K)

>hit’s the van

Attached: Hellboy Peek.jpg (386x481, 114.21K)

Ohh that was a good story. The payoff was so satisfying.

>Kate Corrigan

God bless you, you wonder woman.
And God bless you, Mignolaverse user if you're still in this thread. Kate's ending in Hell on Earth is the only thing in comics to make me tear up.

>what could have been

Attached: OTP.jpg (588x990, 61.99K)

I just realized my grammer mistake, fuck me.

Attached: F1C16710-11B3-4434-849E-056FB55C705E.jpg (1125x1314, 936.13K)

Honestly they did this one better when Rasputin sits down at the World Tree after the events of Wake the Devil and Baba Yaga visits him.
>How? You're a dead man, Grigori. Not a god. Not a king. Not even a witch.
It's such a beautifully melancholic line.

>Hecate
Ew, even Hellboy has some damn standards, and he married a vampire while drunk in Mexico.

THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT TOGETHER
Like a paranormal Married with Children.

You're not wrong, user.
And further still, when baba yaga is forced to use the last reserve of her power, that being his fractionally flickering light, to try and stop hellboy... Damn.

The Baba Yaga was an awfully sorrowful yet hatful being who just wanted to kill Hellboy because he took her eye and her chicken-house.

How did Rasputin manage to come back anyway? Was the dark thing gnawing at the World Tree his soul half?

Yeah I doubt that.

Attached: Hellboy_harpies.jpg (1048x769, 618.74K)

The more comics I read, the creepier that ship becomes.

Yeah that relationship never really sit well with me. It just feels wrong for Hellboy to have a romantic interest for Liz of all people, especially when he treated her like a little sister.

Imma be terribly racist but baba yaga is perfect for the land that repelled Napoleon and Hitler both. Not a power the capacity for joy, but one you oughtn't trivially fuck with.
So yea she was hateful in trying to stomp HB for such '''small''' slight. But she was true to her nature... Even when she really hould have had the power needed to see how pitting herself against the nascent king of hell would play out.

You can't just slight the Baba Yaga and walk away thinking she'll not seek blood recompense. True to her nature, imho.

Eh, that’s just how Russians do it, imho.

Top right has to be one of my top 5 panels in all of Hellboy.

I'd fuck Hecate

I'm not going to go through the hassle of setting all that up and pay the crypto exchange fee to give someone 20 dollars

Attached: nimue wants a hat.jpg (1280x1973, 1.22M)

Of course you would.

I honestly had to re-read the page a few times; I couldn't believe what the Hell was going on. Although, upon further reflection, I understand why it ended the way it did.

Wonder how many agents HB has seen come and go over the decades? Must hurt. Even for the ones who do survive to retirement age.

Attached: archie, you okay.jpg (978x538, 131.79K)

do the omnibus cover the releases chronologically? Should I start reading hellboy with the omnibuses, or will I miss important stuff?

I heard an interview he did on the radio. He was talking about old B-horror flicks like Creature from the Black Lagoon, and how when watching them as a kid he wanted to see the monster get the girl. That is what Shape of Water was essentially for, straight from the bull's mouth
Now, if monster movies are supposed to be allegorical about things we fear in ourselves, I suggest that del Toro might want to reconcile people with their own need for affection. The monster seizes the attractive woman, but is it to be threatening, or because he experiences the need for beauty in his own life?

Attached: nimue gets her hat back.jpg (555x748, 48.14K)

Okay, omnibuses have extra stuff, but do they miss anything?

The Omnibus does have some side stories that don’t connect with the main continuity or extra pages about something miscellaneous. I would recommend the Library edition as they collect the stories through some beautifully well crafted leather books.Plus it has some volumes dedicated to the side stories.

That's pretty much part of why he quit. Also Roger.

Sorry I was fixing some typos. Anyways no not at all, both the omnibus and the library editions collect the stories through chronological order, most of the time even including the short stories. It just depend on which is cheaper as of now, I would still recommend getting the library editions.

>cheaper
>he says to a fellow user on Zig Forums
user.
Read between the lines.

Ah, I fucked up my wording or grammer again. My mistake user.

Attached: A428FC58-1317-410C-8B96-F46A5FF5AEB5.jpg (739x740, 303.07K)

user, that's not the problem, you're not getting what I'm alluding to.
Price shall not be an issue.

Following along, posted a couple even, but thinking about it haven't seen anything by inheritor of double-hook-tip sword here. And dude was best in certain regards, no?
Gib page on that dudes toptier flight, anonymous.

You're right, should've been cropped down even.
Better late than never tho.

Attached: ThoRlyWhyNot.jpg (952x798, 717.83K)

Oh, another mistake I’ve made like a bloody idiot. Either way, buy the omnibus for that extra content of you could get the library editions for a more concise and consistent reading.

>Buy
Yes.
That's what I'll do right now.
Buy. Yes. Thanks.

I meant to say “or” but eh..

Myeh, to an extent.
Thr other extent is, we're going thru a global recession an anonymous is part of such community.
user could be poor, even might probably be. Unless said otherwise, as you seem to be doing, not the most egregious assumption to make in current clime.

How OLD was that dog?

Old as...
Hell

There's this (which issue?), Conquering Worm, and ?????

A panel or two in Seed of Destruction.

Someone post it. I can't remember

He was. And Iiked the conclusion for him and Ben though. Fuck you Johann

There's the one-off comic with the one who stayed behind.

Here.

Attached: 91EB55EC-3316-4767-B09C-19A073769703.jpg (1047x1591, 1.45M)

Huh. I always thought they were Holocaust victims.

This is even better.

hellboy kicks ass

Attached: finalhellbat.png (1006x1034, 283.77K)

He sure does.
That would be pretty fucking dark wouldn’t it?

The more Hellboy I read, the more inaccurate Perlman's performance seems.

He doesn't seem like a combative, arrogant, alpha-male-type guy at all. He seems super gentle and morbidly depressed most of the time. What do you guys think?

Slug House always gets me

The Del Toro movies work when you separate them from the original comics, because the films are Guillermo’s rendition of the character and for what’s it worth, it’s a pretty fun but flawed film.

Please, CronoMignolAnon, please.

Yeah, I'm not trying to downplay them at all, they're wonderful films. But with that said, I think it's a little bit of a shame that both mainstream depictions of him have that kinda 'dickhead/I'm the main man' approach to him.

I think lots of people can learn from Hellboy's gentleness.
...I wish Hellboy was my pal....

Attached: Hellboy-and-Alice-Monaghan.jpg (600x601, 68.94K)

God why was the devil you know so shit'

I'm still bitter

Got the first omnibus as discussed above. Reading it. Nice.

Excuse me. Best story coming through

Attached: RCO008_1496804165.jpg (1041x1600, 60.61K)

Honestly, I hate the fact that Hellboy is lumped into the same camp as characters like Lobo or Wolverine. It's a real disservice to his character.

Attached: 16cac1fab9029ac327c6b20bbe18d92b5a590a61.png (1012x900, 362.72K)

Funny thing is, $20 is not much at all to me... Especially given it gives many many hours of engagement, like a mignolaverse reread would provide...

But, in same boat as CManon here. I don't "do" crypto.

I think what made me stop during the original Hellboy wasn't the disconnect from the comics, more how it felt somewhat dragged out and kind of padded. I like the renditions on some of the characters though, Ron Pearlman IS Hellboy to me.

Fair points all around Hellboy bros. I too wish for a more mature and genuinly somber characterization for Hellboy in the mainstream, and the fact that he’s lumped with Lobo despite their clashing personalities, but I’m glad these movies existed. The reason for this is that they introduced alot of people to the wonderful comics of Mike Mignola, especially me. The duology is incredibly flawed tho, it attempts to be a comedy aswell as a action horror, there’s tonal whiplashes, improper characterization, lack of character development etc. But their still incredibly charming films that have some of the best monster designs I’ve ever seen. In short, I hope for a proper adaptation to the stories of Hellboy, and let’s see how they handle such a task.

I have never seen them lumped together before and now I'm disgusted.

Fuck I nearly typed a damn essay about Hellboy.

Unironic congratulations m80.
Internet has ruined critical thought to the point that even a half paragraph is mucho effort, if you added some higher thinking in total to the discourse - *more power to you*.
Getting sick of crit thinking being something to be hastily disowned, yknow.

Well thanks mate, it’s been awhile since I typed a proper essay. So I’ll take this compliment and hope you have a wonderful day.

Anyone got more wallpapers? I'll post what I have.

Attached: Flowers.jpg (2048x1152, 609.87K)

Attached: Destiny Manifest.jpg (1920x1080, 469.45K)

Attached: Golem.jpg (2048x1152, 617.59K)

Attached: Throne.jpg (1920x1080, 380.52K)

I'd really like to hear your essay on Hellboy! I remember one time I was on a comics discord server and drunk and I basically wrote a short essay about the genius of Hellboy and what we as people in the real world could learn about how do deal with other's expectations and perceptions of us.

One guy told me he didn't know how intelligent I really was. The rest of the members just said I was a retard cause I was drunk or said that I was an idiot cause I didn't finish the series.

And then I never posted anything other than one line shitposts when it came to comics.....

Attached: hbdrunk.jpg (1189x569, 217.47K)

Attached: Johann.jpg (2560x1440, 340.44K)

Roger was a gud boi

Did my evening workout from the new work at home app, put on paganini and continuing reading hellboy for the first time.

Remind me a lot more of Unforgiven, instead of the Sergio Leone trilogy, as Del Toro would have you believe.

The first year I did the Chronological Mignolaverse storytime I didn't have a pass but that was before the "click 75 stop sign" captchas. I'm gonna try it this weekend and see and if not I'll try getting a pass

Have one I shoddily edited together four score and seven years ago.

Attached: Hellboy background2.jpg (1680x1050, 105.87K)

>"click 75 stop sign" captchas
Do the audio captcha instead. Much easier and they rarely ask for more.

Anyone?

Intertwined with the dragon in their prison, called back by mistake?

I'll try that out, thanks. I'll start it this Saturday morning

Same.

Perlman's seems a bit younger and more impulsive, not quite as cynical yet. Fits pretty well actually. But yeah, they're pretty different regardless. But that begins at the whole world knowing and accepting him vs. being kept a secret in the movies.

It might read better when in the context of everything before it. Although the art wasn't to write home about.

Attached: 1395916587130.jpg (1280x1981, 715.51K)

Attached: 1395916651121.jpg (2560x1934, 1.41M)

It's funny how there's not much actual focus on Hellboy for once, if you ask me, the land itself takes on the majority of the character. It feels grand in a way that I can't properly describe.

Attached: 1396022697500.jpg (1281x2000, 421.59K)

Oh this is cool. Although it makes both Roger and the BPRD appear much more sinister than the are lol

Attached: 1502245000970.jpg (1174x752, 435.23K)

The one in Conqueror Worm got his own spinoff.
Also these guys reappeared briefly in The Devil You Know, observing the end of the world.

Attached: Visitor.jpg (980x1397, 145.27K)

Attached: RCO014.jpg (1041x1600, 196.73K)

>"Gott! Was in Hölle?!!"

As much as I love Hellboy, I also love BPRD, and a large part of that is it never plays down how many people are dying as a result of the apocalypse. It's full of moments like this that remind you that this is happening en masse. The bit in central park is fucking tragic.

Attached: dont mess with me.jpg (279x78, 11.12K)

Hellboy has some of the most beautiful pages.

Attached: 1502245242796.png (750x1390, 900.04K)

Seems like they're fodder more often than not sadly. If Hellboy wasn't nearly invulnerable/a fast healer, he probably would have died in the fifties.

I'd say if it wasn't for their destinies dragging them along both Hellboy and Abe would have had short careers. They played things fast and loose and got their asses handed to them quite often.

Honourable mention to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=KaN9PEHOgkQ

Attached: DzD2-axUYAA_WyS.jpg (965x547, 91.6K)

at least 12, since that's Hellboy's age in the panel, but he wasn't really a puppy when Hellboy got him either.

I absolutely hated that mini. I know it isn't Mignolaverse style to just infodump everything, and Mignola himself didn't really care about the Visitor/his race, but I was just left with more questions/desires than answers.

I enjoy the Mignola quote where he's like "I had some more stuff I was going to do during Hellboy in Hell but after I had him kill Satan I was trying to make it work and it was like, Hellboy just KILLED. SATAN. So that basically became the story." Like he didn't realize until afterwards how big a deal that was.

The page before that is one of my favourites. That line in the bottom left hit me hard.

Attached: RCO019.jpg (1040x1600, 237.29K)

in what run is the little arc with kid hellboy going trick/treating and filing his horns?

Behold: the single character who isn't obsessed with Hellboy's j-off hand.

I don't know the story it happened in off-hand but at one point the comic cuts back to the court of the fairy dudes chatting about what Hellboy's up to and it is made explicit that he's protected by prophecy and cannot die. I'll try to find the panel when I'm off work. desu I think that was a bad move; it kind of removes all the tension from his scenes from then on. It's one thing for the reader to understand in a meta kind of way that they're not going to kill the main character. It's a completely different thing for that to actually be literally true in-universe and for characters to know it.

I now scoff at the discrepancies between the films and the comics, but in all actuality, it did make it easier to jump into comics afterwards.

Roger was too damn pure for that world.

source?

God, what a glorious bastard. The Lobster seems less like a man and more like a cosmic representation of justice at times.

SHould be "Was zur Hölle?"
It's a bit annoying to see non-native speakers mess the smaller bits up.

No idea, I didn't make 'em and I don't recognise that one.
I also forgot one.

Attached: Hellboy.jpg (1920x1080, 473.19K)

They did a spectacular job on him in Injustice 2; moreso than they had any right to considering how most of the DC characters were portrayed.

The first recorded horn filing was at the end of 1958; I don't remember the trick or treating though.

user, what issue/run

The appreciation for the character really shines through, yeah.

Should have posted the page before, where he was just trying to find someone to talk to about it but they didn't have time for him. That shit broke me.

my mistake, it's '48 instead of '58.

B.P.R.D.: 1948 by Arcudi. This is the last page of issue 5. Still don't remember the Halloween thing though.

Attached: RCO124_1495933102.jpg (1987x3056, 1.24M)

That's from a variant Cover Mignola drew, they never wrote stories related to those covers (the variants were called year of monsters or something like that).

The Wild Hunt is one of my favorite Hellboy stories. So good. Too bad the new movie botched it up horribly.

Attached: 1.png (1680x2583, 2.49M)

Attached: 2.png (1680x2583, 2.17M)

Do you people actually enjoy the non-Hellboy series/spin-offs? It's all pulp and carried by the atmosphere and art, which is fine, making Hellboy enjoyable. But BPRD, goes off the deep end around v6 or so of Plague Of Frogs, and all other minis are barely above average. Of all those characters, only Liz and Johann are interesting. Maybe I'm missing something, but all I get from this Universe is "Gothic Aesthetics &EuroMyths = A E S T H E T I C S".

Attached: 1519793904295.png (700x732, 25.38K)

BPRD is good until the conclusion of Daimio's arc, even if by then it's getting to the point where it's really only worth reading for that.

I fucking love the Lobster Johnson stuff and Abe's story was good shit. BPRD had its ups and downs with Iosif, Daimio and Kate as great characters and highlights of the whole series.
Simple stories have merit in just mood and feels

Mignola almost made Hell seem desirable/comfy.

"Why yes, I do like Hellboy's spin-offs. How could you tell?"

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 56.31K)

Exactly. It's only a tiny detail, but still annoying. You don't need native speakers in order to get that right, shame.

>this Universe is "Gothic Aesthetics &EuroMyths = A E S T H E T I C S".
this, but unironically. also read the lobster johnson spinoff comics

I didn't really care for Abe's solo too much. It felt like his character arc was already completed in Garden of Souls when he finally discovered his origins, only for them to give him a Beast of the Apocalypse watered-down Hellboy narrative. Some of the individual issues were entertaining and the art was good, but overall it felt like a slog.
Lobster Johnson is good old fashioned period piece capeshit though. I can't wait for an omni or maybe another miniseries.

Attached: lobster.jpg (634x545, 39.45K)

To be completely frank, I'm happy to see an active Hellboy thread here on Zig Forums. This is great.

Attached: 44503403874_fdd43c5cca_c (1).jpg (519x799, 218.08K)

But those wizard guys fought him in hell?

Bingo.

I get goosebumps whenever I read your pic, such a good sequence.

My absolute favourite line/sequence is when Hellboy draws out Excalibur.
>Heaven and Hell
>Human
>King
I get shivers every time.

It's not often we get them, but these threads got me to watch the Guillermo movie and read the Mignolaverse, so I try and stop by and drop off a bump when I can.

Attached: seed of destruction 2.jpg (2560x1440, 1.66M)

Stole it, but I'll leave one of mine.

Attached: halloween.jpg (2304x1296, 1.97M)

There's not much to Zig Forumsmplain about so they tend not to last.

Attached: HB-TTWaO-18.jpg (1280x1969, 584.64K)

Attached: kino.jpg (1280x1969, 537.86K)

BPRD is good.

Attached: the long death one.jpg (1042x1600, 533.5K)

You'd fuck a rock if it had a hole in it.

Attached: B.P.R.D. - War on Frogs 004-020.jpg (1365x1024, 627.14K)

You don't think digging up the corpses of centuries-dead saints to summon an eldritch god is darker than that?

Attached: Dark Horse Presents 036-010.jpg (1680x2583, 1.58M)

Attached: WF-ItSoA-04-13.jpg (1280x1969, 671.88K)

Attached: WF-ItSoA-04-14.jpg (1280x1969, 716.6K)

Attached: Hellboy in Hell 006-003.jpg (1680x2583, 872.03K)

Attached: Hellboy in Hell 006-004.jpg (1680x2583, 1.03M)

Eh, ignore them. As long as you’re expressing your love for Hellboy and other comics without being a dick about it, you’re cool in book. The reasoned I typed that essay out was because I was half asleep and wanted to kill some time, but I’m glad people like those paragraph long explanations that I sometimes gave out.

Makes for an interesting read if nothing else.

I like his movies but I am looking through them and if their is a monster in it, someoneone wants to fuck it, has no one ever pointed this out?

This is the afterlife that the frogs go to, right? Because they don't just pass into the normal beyond.

Yeah, Frog Heaven looks like that

I figured it was some sort of abtraction of Sadu-Hem that wandered the Abyss and acted sort of like the Queen upon earlier readings. Though I suppose Frog Heaven is more forward.

I wanna see a Hellboy/Atomic Robo crossover.

>*both sit staring at the sunset over an hellish alien landscape*
>"It doesn't get any better than this."
>"What doesn't?"
>"Bashing Nazis."
>"Oh yeah. Never goes out of style."
>*fistbump*

Attached: big robot.jpg (701x732, 138.48K)

Melancholy and loss, the comic.

Attached: dreaming brosif.jpg (4000x1546, 2.58M)

I've started reading that lately. It's sort of like sci-fi/comedy Hellboy in a way. I'm sure it'll find it's own roots late on, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Man, did they get drunk and come in late when they were handing out shit that happens to you when you die? Was their choice between that and the Sumerian afterlife?

I was waiting the whole series for him to be a backstabbing evil bastard. I was pleasantly surprised when nothing of the sort happened. Him and Johann were the best of bros.

I think it's just that their souls are so radically altered by becoming frog monsters that they just don't go to the normal afterlife, they go to whatever bizarre dimension we see on that page. And it's not like they don't want to go, they're really happy about it, look at them.

They do look like they're pretty damn jazzed about it, that's true. Makes sense to me.

I'd have liked to see how Mignola would've depicted Hell as described in the 'Vision of St. Adomnain'. Supposedly written by the saint it's kind of a weird idea of Hell apparently mixed between Christian and Irish pagan concepts of the shittiest aspect of the afterlife. Eaten, then shit out by a monster, seven times, the last time being shit out into an icy river for eternity.

>Eaten, then shit out by a monster, seven times, the last time being shit out into an icy river for eternity.
Don't threaten me with a good time.

pure
K I N O

Could be worse.

Attached: 1.jpg (1280x1969, 2.19M)

Early Medieval Irish Hell! I

Saxon Hell was cooler though. Essentially a spiritual Sarlacc pit with fire at the bottom. The idea is just funnier in my head.

Attached: 2.jpg (1280x1969, 2.09M)

Brosif deserved his end the least of all

Excellent, love this.

Attached: HB-TS-02-24.jpg (1280x1969, 788.72K)

I loved BPRD up until The Devil You Know which kinda felt anticlimatic how rushed everything was compared to how drawn out Hell on Earth was. The actual ending with Mignola almost salvaged it but man was that thing mostly a disappointment.

Hellsad.

Attached: Bruttenholm and Hellboy a-okay.jpg (384x435, 79.43K)

I liked The Devil You Know and on, kind of. I do feel it was relatively pretty damn weak all things considered, but that's probably more because prior work had raised my standards for the stuff pretty high.

There were some good parts of DYK, like Ashley was great. She would not suffer a demon in her presence.

Attached: B.P.R.D. - The Devil You Know 007-017.jpg (1988x3056, 3.18M)

i read up to kaiju rasputin coming out of the demon loli. and then abe got killed in one panel and eggs came out of him. haven't even bothered to finish.

i started losing faith when astaroth and hellboys brothers got killed in one issue. that shit was anticlimactic for one of the oldest villains and introducing us to hellboys family for half a issue.

It's not terrible, it just rushed too many of the major plots and felt kinda lame.

The stuff with Astaroth et all did have me pretty fucking livid. That should have been really a lot bigger.

Attached: B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth 115 p11-14.jpg (6720x2583, 3.38M)

It did definitely feel rushed but it got a lot of hate it didn't deserve. And a lot of the stuff that people harp on it for are peak Mignolaverse stuff.

Attached: 2.jpg (1680x2583, 1.11M)

What is this from? I read all of main line Hellboy and don’t remember it

Attached: BPRD mostly dead.jpg (1484x605, 412.46K)

Buster Oakley Gets His Wish

BPRD: Our Life Insurance Plan Must Be Fucking Balls Out Awesome

Taco Tuesdays attract applicants.

I think it was mostly the movie hatred and the ending letdown sorta coalescing into a shitstorm.

What is the single best Hellboy story?

My absolute favorite is The Troll Witch, it's the perfect combination of fairytale but sad as it's an adaptation of Tatterhood, and encapsulates the whole idea of "freaks aren't always monsters" that Hellboy is all about.

Attached: HB-TTWaO-28.jpg (1280x1969, 663.82K)

For me, The Corpse or Almost Colossus.

Attached: A0F55DC4-B0E8-44F3-A80A-5FA5696A314D.jpg (1125x1624, 1.56M)

Standalone or main story cause that varies.

I kind of want to say Almost Colossus for my mileage.
This is also a real consideration.

Whenever anyone asks that I generally assume they mean the individual stories, because the main story arc is best handled as a whole and discussion and critique of different parts. It's a whole animal to describe that. The short stories are nice bite-sized stuff.

cause it's fucking weird

Attached: hboy_01.jpg (1280x1968, 768.72K)

What's the premise?

I like femdom and monster girls, sue me.

What happened to Brosif's bro and why was he such a hulk? Did he really just die off-screen?

You can flip through any hellboy page inked by mike mignola and the color and composition alone will make me want a large print of it to hang on my wall.

even the full page of this. Though my favorite paneling is the page before it.

Attached: tumblr_mpsdnxWbTH1s5ys7lo1_400.jpg (400x597, 85.28K)

Very nice.

This is my favorite combination of panels in any comic ever.

>You can flip through any hellboy page inked by mike mignola and the color and composition alone will make me want a large print of it to hang on my wall.
Any Mignola art for that matter. Triumph and Torment is still my fav graphic novel.

Hellboy looks simple at first glance: big slabs of colour everywhere, but when you focus in on the linework there's a lot of detail in there.

Attached: Doctor Strange & Doctor Doom - Triumph and Torment-072.jpg (1988x3056, 2.2M)

>I basically wrote a short essay about the genius of Hellboy and what we as people in the real world could learn about how do deal with other's expectations and perceptions of us.
It's bloody Pulp user. It's about a literal demon.
>"b-but he's kind even though he looks like a monstah"
Stop the presses, literature's been reinvented! It's not some profound examination of the human experience, Jesus...

Attached: 1516251292300.jpg (791x901, 200.01K)

This.

You'll have to look at Johann to see the profound examination of the human experience.

Does anyone have a reading order? I'm almost done downloading all the MignolaVerse Omnibuses/TPBs/Whatever from libgen, and I could use one isntead of going in blind.

Sucked into a giant spacecraft full of mutated livestock, Hellboy must fight his way through giant robots, strange webbing, and evil aliens to get back to terra firma!

It also had some DnD group orsomething in it.

I agree with you on all points, except that the PR kaiju brain thing was for the second movie, Del Taco wasn't a part of it. That was boyega.

This is a fucking long pic but I’m pretty sure this will help you understand the chronological order of the Mignolaverse.

Attached: 6B8DA75B-9374-4D85-9438-810DFF39E405.jpg (600x3709, 739.09K)

the library edition are not leather, user

Thanks user; I appreciate it.

No problem.

Fact

>why yes, I do read Hellboy solely for the Nazis, what gave it away?

Attached: 1508404057658s.jpg (250x250, 4.22K)

Welp, I can’t deny that.

>the hand is all wrong
That hand is very much right, are you blind?

Have you guys read any of the novels? I've been listening to the fire wolves audiobook and it's been a blast

>jenks and dean
oh hey, neat

>Sumerian afterlife
I learned something new today.

Man, fuck Devon.

Probably The Corpse.

I own this and only just recently read it despite having it for years. It was fun.

Isn't that the afterlife where you essentially live in a frigid mud pit and eat mud and drink mud? Unless you achieve apotheosis anyway and become a god

That one seems to be pretty popular in general when anyone asks about favorite Hellboy stories.

Troll Witch or The Corpse are already mentioned, but from quality of the story and all that makes sense. My favorite though is probably HB In Mexico, because it was a ton of fun. There's something delightful as fuck about Hellboy and luchador brothers getting drunk and killing vampires.Massive tonal shift though.

Makoma

Read Emerald Hell and it was some good shit.

I've been meaning to but I'm wary of novels for anything not originally in novel format. There's a lot of bad adaptations of IPs into novel series.

whats better for fans of the art, the library editions or the omnibuses

Omnibus

Me on the bottom.

You're a sad half-devil/half-man?

Bump

I am.

I have nothing to add to the conversation, and this thread really needs a bumps, so I'm just gonna drop the look of my Injustice 2 Hellboy here.

Attached: 20200501_102845.jpg (1630x916, 123.12K)

I honestly liked that design from Injustice 2.

What do you mean, the tournament shader? Yeah, I like it too, it looks great on Hellboy

Yeah I meant the tournament shader, plus his default costume.

Oh, yeah, it's pretty cool looking to be honest. It kinda sucks that there isn't a coat with BPRD patches in the game though, it's such a badass logo.

Yeah I was disappointed when they didn’t include the BPRD patch, that would’ve been a nice touch to the final design or any of his alternative costumes.

I really want a game with Spawn Hellboy and the TMNT I hate the designs for the dc characters in injustice 2 and I don't give a shit about MK the guest characters are the only reason I played them

Yeah, funnily enough, the two characters I play the most in a DC COMICS fighting game aren't owned by DC Comics. I hate the designs of most of the DC crew, but Hellboy and the Turtles all look and play great.

So yeah, I'd totally be down for a Netherealms game based off of Non-Big 2 comic characters. Who would you put in it though?

the crooked man
Great art, fantastic use of folk lore and a really satisfying ending.

Attached: HoGYQu4.jpg (1555x859, 554.52K)

I fucking loved the art for the Crooked Man.