Conan the Barbarian

Let’s discuss the era of the Hyborian Age, it’s history, the stories, and all things Conan. So let’s have a civil and honest conversation about the works of Robert E. Howard and the Cimmerian himself.
>What are your favorite stories, runs, and arcs from Conan?
>What are your favorite stories, runs, and arcs from Red Sonja?
>What are your favorite stories, runs, and arcs from King Kull.
>Potential writers and artists after Aaron’s run is finished?
>Current thoughts on the recent runs from Marvel?
>Is an animated movie or series plausible for Conan?

Attached: Conan_the_Destroyer.jpg (935x1101, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

thetrove.net/Books/Conan RPGs/Conan Modiphius 2d20/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alright then.

bump

If you want to get the thread rolling it's helpful if you answer your own question first. It sort of sounds like you're asking us to spoon feed you which I really wouldn't mind but please be honest.

Attached: conan diego.jpg (716x1116, 184.78K)

OP here, I asked these questions as a way to start some dialogue but at the same time, understand why their passionate to the subject matted at hand. I’ll probably answer the questions listed above me in the next post.

Attached: D9F2E8D3-D81D-4F22-9730-F3CECDD51D9F.jpg (1094x1644, 1.14M)

Attached: 00A7A5C3-5FF8-417C-BC1C-674EC1707FF3.jpg (1125x1531, 1.52M)

Alright OP here, considering that I started this thread I might as well answer some questions.

>>What are your favorite stories, runs, and arcs from Conan?
I always liked Tower of the Elephant as it was an bizarre yet incredibly thrilling tale that infuses both Lovecraftian horror and pulp fantasy quite well, plus the comic adaptations had John Buscema and Alfredo Alcala as the artists. The Savage Sword of Conan has always remained as one of my favorite fantasy pulp comics because of it’s stellar artwork and writing by Thomas, Buscema, Alcala and the countless other people that worked on it.

>Potential writers and artists after Aaron’s run is finished?
I would love for Al Ewing or Jeff Parker to write his adventures, as Ewing did a pretty good job on him with No Road Home. For art, Esad Ribic, Simone Bianchi, or Steve McNiven would be pretty good options as well. Simone Bianchi in particular as he has a incredibly gritty yet somber tone in his art, plus he’s Italian so that’s a plus.

>Current thoughts on the recent runs from Marvel?
I only read 3 issues out of his 10 or so but So far I honestly didn’t like it, it has some weak writing especially when it comes to his dialogue and pacing.

>Is an animated movie or series plausible for Conan?
Amazon are already producing and creating a Conan series aswell as an Silmarillion live-action series, so I say it’s plausible.

Out of boredom, here’s some artwork by Barry Windsor Smith.

Attached: 20A5298D-DB63-4D9C-A730-DE83D5B68CA6.jpg (1125x1490, 1.96M)

Why is Conan considered a /lit/ character again? Aren't like, 99.9% of his stories comics?

Because he is archetypal character on his own?

Alot of his stories were originally written for pulp magazines like Weird Tales and Unknown. Plus the main reason Conan is considered a /lit/ character and a Zig Forums character is because alot of Howard’s original stories were adapted into comics by Roy Thomas and John Buscema, along with BWS and Alfredo Alcala.

Attached: B404866E-6070-4FF7-BC35-C5CFB3A196A0.jpg (1125x1458, 1.64M)

The one I remember most is Wizards at War with Conan being forced to team up with an immortal demon.

Attached: 156234.jpg (400x544, 70.93K)

Yeah, it was a fun story.

If you guys are interested in reading up on Conan lore I recommend the sourcebooks being published for the Conan 2d20 rpg by Modiphius. It is very respectful to the original works of REH and does a great job of expanding on certain lore elements already added. The rpg itself is also great in the way it captures the barbaric world of Hyboria.

I was running a Conan 2d20 campaign with some friends. It was a blast but went on hiatus because of Corona. Now they're off playing online DnD one shots with my other friend (I'm not a fan of both online sessions and DnD)

Super disappointed that the Dark Horse run ended. I enjoyed how they told the REH stories in chronological order while filling in the parts in between with original stories that sometimes added more background detail to the existing ones. Tried getting into Marvel Conan, but it just wasn't the same.

Attached: Forest in the Morning Light by Asher Brown.jpg (640x865, 380.76K)

Thanks for recommending the sourcebooks from the Conan rpg, even if I don’t play rpgs I’ll still check it out. As for having some trouble getting into Marvel’s rendition, have you read the original Conan the Barbarian run and/or The Savage Sword of Conan magazines?

Never did. I only read the Dark Horse run and REH's original works.

thetrove.net/Books/Conan RPGs/Conan Modiphius 2d20/

Link floats around /tg/ it has all of the Conan material released for for the 2d20 rpg. Every sourcebook has a section dedicated to lore. I recommend you start with Conan the Mercenary. Nameless Cults is also good since it has a lot of info on all of the gods of Hyboria. The introduction is always a great read since it is written from the perspective of archaeologist if the 1920s from the Miskatonic University of Lovecraft's universe as they attempt to prove that Hybira did in fact exist and how most of their evidence comes from this "Conan" character.

Attached: 1F4294CA-1746-46D6-81C6-054178BCDC10.jpg (1500x1500, 320.12K)

TOWER OF THE ELEPHANT.
BEYOND THE BLACK RIVER.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the link. Btw you should also check out the comics I mentioned because they’re pretty great fantasy comics along with some stellar artwork by some of Marvel’s top tier talent.

>Tower of the Elephant
Good taste I see.
That’s look pretty well done, probably gonna snatch soon for cheap.

Attached: 97E5082D-750F-4C9B-8C92-253FE470A9E4.jpg (1500x1500, 293.25K)

The art is what I dug the most so far from the new run. It is very well done

That’s one of main draw for me. Esad Ribic and Mahmud Asrar did a amazing job with the interior artwork, shame the writing wasn’t as great.

R E Howard single handedly creates the Sword and Sorcery genre of literature.
>Zig Forums why is Conan considered a /lit/ character again?

Yeah he practically did.

Pretty neat figure.

That's like aasking why Star Wars is considered Zig Forums even though there's way more books and comics than there are movies.

I’ll bump for Crom!

He’s pretty much the perfect encapsulation of the sword n sorcery genre.