English used to be a germanic language

>english used to be a germanic language

Attached: 1460097110394.jpg (3000x4000, 2.19M)

it still is, try learning german and you'll quickly see how close it is to english compared to our romance languages

>Used.

Did our entire sentence structure change overnight?

>noooooo English is a Romance language! That's why we Romance language speakers are known for speaking English so flawlessly!

Attached: 1589644752669.jpg (1331x1439, 149.71K)

Yes. Middle English is a completely different language compared to old english.

English has a lot of weird words you don't see in Germanic languages.
>languages
Talen.

>English has a lot of weird words you don't see in
Literally all of these are Germanic words.

This post made me realize how germanics that speak english generally sound pretty normal while romance speakers that learn it sound like homos

Nee sorry

Yes, Frenchmen and Italians sound pretty weird when attempting to speak English

t. Other

>Nee sorry
What? Yes, that is what they were.

>language
Oke

You're telling me that English can't be a Germanic tongue since there's a Latin loan word in it? I've got bad news for you, "kanker" nigger.

yeah we've thrown in a lot of french but the structure is still very germanic

Maltese is still a Semitic language.

germanic languages are much more difficult, English is easy as fuck

>germanic languages are much more difficult, English is easy as fuck
Lol no, English grammar is more or less Scandinavian.

>vocabulary is the only aspect to languages

Attached: 1549279133158.jpg (500x500, 53.86K)

i think it's because of all the french, thus latin/romance loan words in english that it's easier for us to learn than straight up german/ scandi languages

why yes, I have a backup of all the Varg's videos.
wanna see something?

Attached: deb.png (392x489, 256.35K)

no German is much more complex than English, they have cases, gendered words and so on

>i think it's because of all the french, thus latin/romance loan words in english that it's easier for us to learn than straight up german/ scandi languages
German grammar is actually hard though. Scandinavian grammar is just as easy as English.

I've never heard anyone say that Scandinavian is especially hard to learn for Romance speakers? I've known Erasmus students from France and Italy and they learned the language about as fast as the German one at the same school.

Again, English grammar isn't much different from Scandinavian. So you can't say that English grammar is "un-Germanic".

All germanic languages have got very analytic, they have little if any declension and conjugation. English is even easier due to the french and latin vocabulary.

German is harder because unlike the others it has retained its flexional stuff.

We have greek loanwords in swedish therefore we are GREEK

Attached: 54D719B5-9EF7-4892-BE8F-6229B7704FD2.jpg (1242x1387, 132.36K)

>All germanic languages have got very analytic, they have little if any declension and conjugation. English is even easier due to the french and latin vocabulary.
And yet most of the English words in every day use are Germanic. So my point still stands, OP is wrong since English is a Germanic tongue.

English is a Germanic language, despite having a bunch of foreign loan words
Scandinavian languages are the same, injecting in foreign words into their languages for no fucking reason
t. Icelander learning Norwegian

:(

I agree, just wanted to say that english grammar being (falsely) easy has nothing to do with the influence of romances languages, which are more flexional btw. Usually romance speakers think of english as an easy language because we don't have to memorize entire conjugations, and there is no declension unlike german or latin. But it's surface level. Getting the grammatical strucure right is actually very hard.

its not even up for debate.
english is a scandinavian language
a few loanwords from frenchoids dont change that

The 'English' are Norman rapebabies though who were in turn originally Norsemen
So English is your fault

>a few

Attached: 1066.png (653x395, 13.64K)

How easy is it to learn swedish just asking.

Frenchies get super buttmad when someone says the Normans aren't French, so I'm letting them take all the blame here

If all the latin loanwords in English nobody uses count, then German is also a latin language because almost all the loanwords in English are also present in it.

fuck
I wish I was a Greek :(

>english kings used to speak only french

The Normans are as French as the Franks are Germans, since all their descendants are still alive in the original region to this day.

They always use it to justify why English is a 'French' language too
Absolute subhumans

>How easy is it to learn swedish just asking.
Very easy desu.

i would say french and german are about as easy from an english starting POV
you can quickly get the meaning of a sentence in french but german is surprisingly much easier to understand than i thought it'd be. also understanding spoken german is easy while spoken french is hard as fuck
t.duolingo pro

Old Norse did have a bigger effect on English than French ever did.
French vocabulary is less used in everyday speech unlike Norse words where even the pronoun "they" and all its inflected forms originate. Pronoun borrowing is a very rare linguistic phenomenon.

>the man stood in the dyke
mannen stod i diket

>the dog had swam home
hunden hade simmat hem

>out of (the) sky fell rain
ur skyn föll regn

english is a scandi language
cant do this with french

english is pretty much identical to scandi

>uses
>count
>language
>because
>present
>nobody uses them

If you only count the words that people actually use then the Germanic character of the English language will still dominate

This is how much of that vocabulary is used in every day speech

Attached: sketch-1590236200642.png (1785x1080, 308.52K)

Why did you write the (the) in "skyn" in paragraphs while not doing so with the other two. This annoys me so fucking much.

true. we need new words.
i suggest
>bruks
>tell
>forthat
>nowtide

On the other hand I never see english text that don't a have a fair amount of french/latin words.

I'm not really sure english speakers make use of 100% of the germanic vocabulary, lot of it is outdated afaik.

>nobody uses them
I like how you had to bring this up even though you had already pointed out "uses" once earlier. "Nobody" and "them" are both Germanic words.

I think you mean
>Not (Nota)
>Telia (Telja)
>Tonguemal (tungumál)
>outof (útaf)
>nowtime (nútími)

Yes, but it is impossible to make an English sentence without Germanic words, since its whole grammar is Germanic.
You can't say "a" "the" "you" etc. with a latin loanword

Yeah that's why i didn't encircle the entire thing

that's not very authentic anglosaxon
>nait
>tell
>tongue
>since
>gainward