MST3K Revival

What went wrong?

Attached: MST3K_D9_05627.0.jpg (1400x1400, 261.98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ixcAGHwIvk0&list=PLQ2FauvmKFGQD1ZGFlthrjX2FEPEQ6NVV
youtube.com/watch?v=46UueKVuvC0
youtube.com/watch?v=X49K_7eaC5E
youtube.com/watch?v=EId0oEIDwqo
rifftrax.com/rifftrax-presents-batman-forever
youtube.com/watch?v=qebOnefCb1k
youtube.com/watch?v=KWx1UII5FBw
youtube.com/watch?v=BavuV6Rg61s
youtu.be/Cn00ynJaOrk
youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg
youtu.be/17u01_sWjRE
youtube.com/watch?v=ANvQ2SE3z1Q
youtu.be/nI1T2kLyEx8
youtube.com/watch?v=6d7Vk_qaiB8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I liked it. some of the skit shit was cringy but once they actually got into the riff bits it was ok. the christmas episode was one of my favorites of the whole series. funny as fuck

>riffs involve them constantly yelling over each other to be heard
>the movie itself is barely heard
>it was ok

Nothing so far as I've seen. I have only watched a few so far. The only difference between the old MST3K and new is they talk about three times as much during the movie now. But that's more mildly annoying than anything.

Riff Trax is what you want user

This

Outdated concept. Old MST3K are mostly unwatchable shit now, even though they were comfy 20 years ago. You can see highlight reels of zingers about any movie or show on YouTube at any time.

does that guy have crystal disease?

this is the shitest opinion anyone has ever shit out. fuck you you fucking faggot

>You can see highlight reels of zingers about any movie or show on YouTube at any time.
>not watching full episodes to the point where you actually enjoy the movie more than the riffing
fag

Not him but it's kinda true. The obverse humoring and yelling at a movie was kinda novel, but these days you can dial up any one of thousands of dweebs' opinion and musings about a particular movie. No, it's not the same thing, but this has made the general province for that type of humor a little bit antiquated.

Retard alert

You sound like a millennial trying too hard to make the gay digital, inhuman equivalent of something from a bygone era better than it is.

>Jonah not funny
>Wife Murderer is no Frank
>Annoying Cunt as Dr. Forrester = gay
>Black Tom Servo
>obviously an almost all zoomer writing staff (all those zoomer pop culture references... ugh)

Jonah is an onions faggot

The appeal of old MST3K for me were the outdated cultural references I didn't get and the DIY shitty production values. The new show has references I do recognize and too much money, while pretending to be poor.

A lot went wrong
>old MST3K had a midwestern humor that is replaced with quippy west coast humor
>Mike, Kevin, and the rest of the crew used to watch the movie at the same time, riff and write the script at the same time, rehearse and film it all at the same time
>with nuMST3K, every write watched the movie on their own, wrote the script, the best lines were picked by someone, then the cast showed up individually to record their lines. It all felt so fake
>for some reason they had goofy shit like Gypsy in the studio
>WAAAAAAY too many riffs. MST3K used to have a few moments of silence to the let the riffs breathe or to let the shitty movie embarass itself. These nuMST3K faggots are for the snapchat generation

RiffTrax is the best because its MST3K's best riffing trio. Sorry Joel fans. Trace may have been the perferred voice as Crow but Bill had a bit more "bite" to the character, I didnt really think he sounded that much diff than Trace almost the same but with more of an edge to him if that makes sense

the new guy doing Crow on the Netflix reboot honestly wasnt that bad, I think its easy to find someone with that type of voice. However, anyone other than Kevin Murphy doing Tom Servo just seems wrong. (I know Harvey Weinstein did him in the first season, but that season sucked anyway so who cares)

kys you retarded zoomer faggot.
Mst3K is top tier comedy that no faggy youtuber can match. I watched one of my cousins laughing at some faggot Fortnite streamer screaming at the screen and I wanted to drown him in a bathtub.

Kill yourself

>Wife Murderer is no Frank
>Annoying Cunt as Dr. Forrester = gay
That nerd pandering casting is what killed it. It's like Joel forgot about the times MST made fun of nerd's at their expense. Moreover you can tell Patton is either high and/or still fixated on his soon to be dead wife because he doesn't have near the amount liveliness Frank Coniff had.
Also this.

Attached: 3pzb2kf0b9tz.jpg (1400x569, 153.41K)

Patton Oswalt ruins everything. He also killed his wife.

yeah it also annoys me how they got all Hollywood fags, I liked the distinct Minnesota flavor of the original cast and crew. I was hoping Joel woulda still hosted or at least if be some unknown Minnesota comic he took under his wing or something. Maybe the Minnesota comedy scene aint what it was back then tho who knows.

I always wanted to fuck Mike.

The Queen of Nerds and Wife Killer was involved

It's not like he could've found some up and coming comedian outside of Minnesota to play the Mads. He obviously Celebrity Nerd Girl and Wife Murderer to pander to the reddit crowd.

Careful now, you're dangerously close to suggesting that RedletterMedia should have taken over MST.

This

Everything that was good was a product of it's time

Everyone does
>square jaw
>blonde hair
>christian
>conservative
>musical talent

>You can see highlight reels of zingers about any movie or show on YouTube at any time.
Find me these reels about super obscure B-Movies like Prince of Space, moron.

>Everything that was good was a product of it's time
Zoomers should be gassed.

Sorry you can't accept that there are concrete reasons why your 90s secret thingy doesn't stand up to today

>Sorry you can't accept that there are concrete reasons why your 90s secret thingy doesn't stand up to today
Name those reasons, faggot.

I know there's shirtless pics floating around.

>90s secret thingy
>another zoomer thinks the world came into existence after falling out of the womb post

I think I just grew out of this shit. Don't like Rifftrax much either. It's funny to go back to some of the older stuff like Space Mutiny though.

>It's funny to go back to some of the older stuff like Space Mutiny though.
That's one of their later episodes, dummy.

Mike > Joel >>>>>>>>>>>> Jonah

Frank > Larry >>>>>> Patton

Dr. Forrester > Pearl >>>>>> Felicia Day

Murphy > Weinstein >>>>> Netflix Servo

Bill > Trace > Netflix Crow

The exclusivity to making fun of a movie with scripted jesting doesn't exist anymore. You're blinded by the nostalgia of taping off cable at your uncle's house because there was nothing better to do.

>The exclusivity to making fun of a movie with scripted jesting doesn't exist anymore.
Show me on Youtube where obscure b-movies are riffed on in a professional manner (not just faggots laughing and yelling at the screen). And the ENTIRE movie, not just a 5 minute highlight reel.
> You're blinded by the nostalgia of taping off cable at your uncle's house because there was nothing better to do.
Says the retarded faggot that donates to Fortnite streamers.

The main problem was they didn't get the old cast involved. They brought in a bunch of new people who didn't know what they were doing. It was just kind of dumb considering pretty much all the old cast have been doing riffs since the show ended, and probably would have been game for a reunion.

>The exclusivity to making fun of a movie with scripted jesting doesn't exist anymore
Name another series where writers actually time their jokes to specific points in a movie for comedic effect. Literally every hack youtuber who claims to be inspired by MST just does it improvised and it sucks, something MST realized while they were on cable access.

No Mike
I might eventually watch it, just to give it a chance.

Looks like one of us. Pretty based and sneed to me, sempai famalam bro.

This, basically. It would have been bearable maybe even enjoyable except for the wrong sounding bots and being forced to look at and listen the that hideous and annoyingly unfunny redheaded abomination.

I JUST watched an episode last week where he was half naked. I wish I could remember what it was, and I am too lazy to check.

Check the Merlins' Shop or Mole People. I know I was watching those recently.

Not the guy you're trying to argue with but Rifftrax exists and they invited a lot of internet personalities to do riffs. As far as Youtube goes
youtube.com/watch?v=ixcAGHwIvk0&list=PLQ2FauvmKFGQD1ZGFlthrjX2FEPEQ6NVV
That's a 43 video playlist of riffs from the old Channel Awesome circle. Then you have let's plays, which are just riffs on video games. Hell, retsupurae was people riffing on other riffers. I guess you were hoping the fact that Youtube is pretty strict on copyright would prevent you from being called out (hence why it had to be "on Youtube") but even then you're full of shit. The MST3K gimmick of riffing isn't anything novel or exclusive to them any more. Hell, even among them, there's Cinematic Titanic, Rifftrax, and Netflix MST3K. You should admit you were wrong and apologize to that other user for being such an ass about it, but I'm gonna bet you're a stubborn little crybaby bitch and will try to whine his way out of it. But, please, prove me wrong, buddy.

youtube.com/watch?v=46UueKVuvC0

>Not the guy you're trying to argue with but Rifftrax exists and they invited a lot of internet personalities to do riffs.
1. Rifftrax doesn't replace MST3K. It's the MST3K's guys way of riffing on movies that they don't have the copyrights to.
2. Rifftrax is VASTLY inferior to MST3K. MST3K is a WRITTEN show. With Rifftrax they just wing it.
3. The movies on Rifftrax are mostly mainstream films. This is a big deal because even though things like Marvel movies sucks, they are competently made, acted, shot, etc. There's not much to really make fun of. Old B-movies, shorts, poorly translated films, are a gold mine of comedy that Rifftraxx doesn't really attempt to do anymore.
>that youtube clip
That's a 30 minute film. It's more a guy doing commentary than actual riffing. It cuts to the commentator in a direct camera youtube setup.
FUCKING GARBAGE.
>Then you have let's plays, which are just riffs on video games.
Kys, faggot.
>Hell, even among them, there's Cinematic Titanic, Rifftrax, and Netflix MST3K.
CT is just live riffing, not scripted.
Netflix MSt3K is fucking garbage.
>You should admit you were wrong and apologize to that other user for being such an ass about it
Apologize for being a faggot, faggot.

>Not the guy you're trying to argue with but Rifftrax exists and they invited a lot of internet personalities to do riffs. As far as Youtube goes
>Rifftrax
In other words, still MST, not actual unrelated personalities.
>Then you have let's plays, which are just riffs on video games. Hell, retsupurae was people riffing on other riffers.
None of those mushed mouthed autistic goons actually timed their jokes out and stammer over each other all the time. None of them have real comedic training outside of moderating an irrelevant comedy site with a $10 entrance fee.

You should admit you were wrong and can't understand why original MST still has its appeal in an age of unfunny un-charismatic e-celebs who couldn't hack in front of drunken one night stand crowd. Kill yourself.

>but I'm gonna bet you're a stubborn little crybaby bitch and will try to whine his way out of it.
Well, that's a bet you clearly won.

Watch the Twilight ones

>Watch the Twilight ones
I should. Twilight is actually a great series to do. (as would any of the new Star Wars movies). Those are mainstream films that are bad in numerous ways, with is perfect for Mike, Kevin and Bill.

Mike is better at Doom than most of the people today putting out Doom playthroughs on youtube. I saw a guy who had a "Pro Doom" video and it was trash.

Spoony used to have some really good riffs. Nostalgia Critic and Last Angry Geek were alright as well. Linkara sucked, though. He's just not a funny person (at least not intentionally so).

Yeah as in it was actually good unlike TV shows now

I find it hilarious when zoomers say a movie or show has "aged badly" as if we're currently in some kind of golden age of film and television lmao

Why do people dislike Pearl? She's just as campy as Forrester and kinda funny. Her actress is based as fuck too.

I didn’t mind her but I thought the monkey guy and whatever the other guy was were corny as hell

>I find it hilarious when zoomers say a movie or show has "aged badly" as if we're currently in some kind of golden age of film and television lmao
Zoomers are completely retarded faggots.
They can barely comprehend watching a Civil War film because the Union didn't have wifi.

>what went wrong
it was literally this in TV form

Attached: 1557247656250.png (785x1000, 244.76K)

Spoony just had a lot of really good videos period.

Nostalgia Critic didn't riff. Him and most youtubers play a clip, then cut back to themselves starting at the camera saying something like "What the hell was that?!"

>Why do people dislike Pearl?
I don't get it either.
I live Dr. Forrester and Frank better, but Pearl was good. Bobo and Brain Guy were ok too.
I didn't like the invention exchange shit in the Joel years.

He did that but he also did riffs.
youtube.com/watch?v=X49K_7eaC5E
He even won a riffing contest and got to do a riff for Rifftrax. That was with his brother and The Last Angry Geek. The movie they did for rifftrax was either Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.

This

>a 6 min cartoon
Come on, bro. You're not honestly comparing this to MST3k?

Rewatching a lot of the early years and Joel was so fucking boring. If it weren’t for Kevin/Servo and Trace/Crow the Joel years would’ve been brutal

Compared to Wife Killer and Nerd Queen, I'll take Pearl, Bobo, and Observer any day. At least they also contributed to riffs in the writing room instead of being reddit bait.
>the monkey guy and whatever the other guy was
Bobo and Observer were based, kys
youtube.com/watch?v=EId0oEIDwqo

They tried to make jokes at every damn moment. You can't say all the riffs were bad (they weren't) or that old MST3K didn't have bad riffs either (it sure as hell did). But classic MST3K had enough confidence that they could be quiet at times to let people enjoy the B-Movies for what it was.

Jonah's MST3K just felt so desperate in trying to make sure the viewer was being entertained. They just needed to calm the hell down instead of constantly talking over the movies.

It was never good
None of it

Yes, a riff of a six minute cartoon is also a riff. MST3K used to riff shorts all the time. Hell, some of their best riffs were shorts. Also, he did a full length movie for Mike Nelson.
rifftrax.com/rifftrax-presents-batman-forever
So even if you want to split hairs over time, it doesn't matter when he did a feature length movie.

Yeah, he was sleepy eyed in and out of the theater. Remember Joel was the creator of the bots and written as a father figure, whereas Mike was more of a brother so they wrote the 3 of them to be a little more confrontational together.
I prefer Mike to Joel, but the Joel era had some great fucking eps.

Yeah the revival felt like "what if the riffers were high on Adderall?"

Yeah I got used to Joel the more I watched but god that sleepy voices delivery and lo energy takes some getting used to and isn’t really to best persona for the riffing esp

She was cringey and like the bad actors in the films they watched where the director/writer puts himself family as the main characters.

>MST3K used to riff shorts all the time.
Those were 20 minute shorts. And never cartoons (although they did a few Gumbys).
>So even if you want to split hairs over time, it doesn't matter when he did a feature length movie.
He did it because they allowed him to do it. He technically didn't even need Rifftraxx to do a full length riff.
And as I said before, MSt3K was written, and rewritten, and rewritten, and tweaked. Rifftraxx they just turn on the mic and go, no script.

>She was cringey
No she wasn't. She was fine and her character was funny (a bitchy fat woman).

>Yeah I got used to Joel the more I watched but god that sleepy voices delivery and lo energy takes some getting used to and isn’t really to best persona for the riffing esp
I agree, but he created the show so they couldn't tell him otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=qebOnefCb1k
The sleepy voice was even worst in his pre MST standup

No, some of the shorts were like 10 minutes long.
youtube.com/watch?v=KWx1UII5FBw
youtube.com/watch?v=BavuV6Rg61s
You're really, really trying to split hairs here. So 20 minutes is a riff, but 6 minutes isn't? Why? Who wrote these "rules?" Not that they matter when he did a full length movie.
That other user was right, you're just a bitch who says shit that's wrong, and when someone proves you wrong, you can't admit your mistake and move on, so you try to weasel your way out of it. You've gone from
>Nostalgia Critic didn't riff. Him and most youtubers play a clip, then cut back to themselves starting at the camera saying something like "What the hell was that?!"
to "riffs aren't riffs if they're riffing on something short." It's ridiculous.

>No, some of the shorts were like 10 minutes long.
Fine, faggot. Still better than that 6 min garbage with horrible riffing that you showed me.
>. So 20 minutes is a riff, but 6 minutes isn't?
My point was that 6 min is nothing compared to a full length film (and when MSt3k did short films, it was in ADDITION to a full length film in the episode).
>That other user was right, you're just a bitch who says shit that's wrong,
What did I say was wrong, faggot?
>and when someone proves you wrong, you can't admit your mistake and move on,
Please post an example of this.
>to "riffs aren't riffs if they're riffing on something short." It's ridiculous.
99% of the Nostalgia Critics content is what I described. You found ONE 6 minute short and made it seem like it was the bulk of his content and in some way comparable to the 2 hour MST3K ep riffs.
kys, faggot.

Pathetic boomers lashing out because their entire life falls apart at the realization their cringe show was never funny lmao
Go watch a reaction channel if you want a movie with someone's face over it faggot

>like the bad actors in the films they watched where the director/writer puts himself family as the main characters.
Except Mary Jo wasn't related to anyone on the show dumbass.

I always forget Joel basically started as A prop comic (before guys like Carrot Top gave those guys a bad name) makes sense that’s basically where the invention exchange came from

Cope and seethe. Sorry you grew up with riffers who only amounted as e-celeb footnotes.

Wernt a lot of the early invention exchanges from his comedy act?
God prop comics are so cringe. He is getting a lot of laughes though.

>My point was that 6 min is nothing compared to a full length film
But a 6 minute riff is a riff, and he did a full length movie, so you have no point. You were wrong when you said he never did a riff (he has, both short riffs and a feature length film riff) and are just too stubborn to admit it at this point, and getting angry and telling me to kill myself is just sad, dude.

>Wernt a lot of the early invention exchanges from his comedy act?
Yes. To be fair, it's not uncommon for standup comedians to recycle material when they get a show.

Literally "friend simulator"(streamers), except its for boomers. It was never, ever funny.

I liked the invention exchanges, didn’t mean it as a bad thing.

>But a 6 minute riff is a riff,
I never said it wasn't. I said it just wasn't comparable to the full length MST3K riffs.
>and he did a full length movie,
Sure, but as I said it was a RiffTraxx. They don't use a script, they just adlib. MST3K > Rifftraxx.
>You were wrong when you said he never did a riff
I'm not scouring Nostalgia Critic content like you you austictic faggot. The guy has been making the same vids for over 10 years and you found the ONE riffing clip that he did. Congrats.
>me to kill myself is just sad, dude.
Fine, don't kys. One more faggot in the world.

They were alright sometimes.

But none of my friends could throw out perfectly timed riffs and reference obscure things for a laugh.

>Literally "friend simulator"(streamers)
Not at all dummy.
It was a finely crafted show that was both humorous and a deconstruction of film in general.
The Mst3K guys didn't have fucking chat streams with their fans.

I loved that stuff, it was corny but pleasant. The skits from the Joel era were so much better than in the Mike era, and never felt the need to skip them to get back to the riffing like I did with the Mike episodes

>I'm not scouring Nostalgia Critic content like you you austictic faggot.
Great! So you could have just said "oh I didn't know he did riffs, I'm not really a fan of that faggot" and moved along instead of trying to continue to argue that what you said was right. Going on and on trying to get a win is dumb. Just take your L and scoot. Final (You).

>So you could have just said "oh I didn't know he did riffs,
Do you want me to wipe your ass to you dumb faggot?
I'm sure there are youtubers that have done riffs on 30 second commercials. Is that the equivalent of a fucking 2 hour SCRIPTED MSt3K ep as well you dumb retard?

You have ten seconds to post your favorite short.
youtu.be/Cn00ynJaOrk

My favorite short was "Last Clear Chance" just for the ending.
youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

For me it's the one with cute androgynous flute person

Springy the spring or whatever it was called

>Springy the spring or whatever it was called
This right here.
NO SPRINGS
(and I think his name was "Coily")

It was Coily. And yeah, that's a good ass short.
I remember buying the short collections on VHS. They were pretty fucking awesome since you could just watch one short or a couple if you didn't have time for a full movie. Plus I remember they picked some really good ones for their compilations.

making the show right now bros, give me your char ideas and guest stars. Will animate the most popular, upload it in a few days.

Attached: TWC.png (1218x944, 52.88K)

oops, got drunk AND posted this in wrong thread.

My suggestion if you're making a show is go with a memorable, unique name. "Talkin With Tucanos" is a good name, really distinguishes from others. There was another user making cartoons that named his series Ralph or something like that, and it's pretty impossible to find on Youtube because it's just a mundane name. But you seem like you got that shit covered.

They ever paroied it on the simpsons
> Oh, it was all a dream. Thank goodness I still live in a world of telephones car batteries, handguns, and many things made of zinc.

Attached: E55F474E-0E1C-4AD2-84F1-E6C65560FF24.jpg (640x480, 20.5K)

Those kind of educational films were shown all the time. I went to school in the 80s and 90s and even I had seen a couple. You can still watch a bunch of them on Youtube, and a lot of them are really good. I remember seeing a video series on how all the different parts on a car work (like explaining how a differential works) made by one of the American car manufacturers (when America still had those) and they're all really straight forward, easy to understand and digest, and still mostly relevant today. Of course stuff like Reefer Madness are the ones people really love to talk about, or that one about how you should watch out for homosexuals.

Shut the fuck up you stupid zoomer shitbag

Why? He's right, MST3K is a friendship simulator. I say this as a fan.

>They tried to make jokes at every damn moment.
this
i generally enjoyed the netflix revival well enough but it could have actually been high quality if they would shut up occasionally
that and the stupid bubble wipes "hiding" them splicing takes together
they do it every 30 seconds in the first season

> What went wrong
Netflix

They do wipes during the movie? That’s just wrong.

they had an official fan club
same thing boomer

Attached: rsss.jpg (960x720, 71.46K)

>MST3K is a friendship simulator.
No it's not, faggot. It's comedy.
If MST3K wasn't funny, most wouldn't have watched. And there are some eps that were so shit I will never rewatch again (Hamlet).

Yes yes, but this was 100% a parody of coily p, the way it was paced and everything.

MST3K was always onions shit

Attached: kirayes.png (357x363, 194.83K)

You think a "fan club" (which almost every scifi and niche show had up until the 90s) is the same as fucking live chats, DMs and whatever shit youtube faggots do nowadays?
Retard

I'm sorry you're so wrong, angry and old

Attached: fFTwxZnixMP5Ke9vq5dN1YSqAiT.jpg (1366x768, 125.65K)

Explain how I'm wrong, dummy.
MST3K fan club = you get a stupid "membership" card. Maybe some other trinkets
Youtube Friend Simulator = constant live chat interaction with the person you're "following". You get to pay for extra content and private DMs.

You should watch out for homos
youtu.be/17u01_sWjRE

Attached: 29D68A68-8A5A-42FD-987B-249CC11ACB50.jpg (1007x795, 213.9K)

ITT: old people vigorously defend their nostalgia and deny the fact that their opinions are mundane and outdated

>ITT: old people vigorously defend their nostalgia and deny the fact that their opinions are mundane and outdated
In this post: Some underage faggot that watches Fortnite streamers and pays them when they don't have to.

>Was sick
>Not a sickness you can see like small pox
>But a sickness of a mind
>One that is contagious
based.

Like pointed out, they had a fan club that they heavily promoted, and the whole tape circulation community that they also promoted. There's also the way the show was shot, where it was like you were sitting in the theater with them. It's comedy, but it's also a friendship simulator. Don't get upset about that fact.
I don't get it. I'm probably older than him, am a big fan of the show, and don't really understand why he'd get mad at people just saying the truth that a part of the appeal of the show was that you were "watching the movie with Joel/Mike and the bots." He tries to say there's no live chats but the MST3K crew did tons of conventions back in the day (and still do) where they did meet and greets and Q&A's, plus they did fanmail. Hell, I emailed the show back in the day and got responses every single time, and considering how small an operation they were, I wouldn't be shocked if it had been Joel replying to me. Hell, he replied to fanmail on air.

>MST3K fan club = you get a stupid "membership" card. Maybe some other trinkets
That's more than what you get for donating to some streamer.

Leave us alone
> rowsdower

Attached: C2BF189D-FFFE-4727-8982-6F8CE0473869.jpg (480x360, 15.9K)

>pointed out, they had a fan club that they heavily promoted, and the whole tape circulation community that they also promoted.
So? An MST3K fan got a "membership card", not fucking live chats, DMs, and other shit like that. And "circulate the tapes" was more of a message to their fans to "spread the word" about the show. You're really delusional if you think that is like these faggots that watch Fortnite streamers, chat with them, DM them, and send them $.
>There's also the way the show was shot, where it was like you were sitting in the theater with them.
Wrong. It was done that way because it's visually effective and VERY cheap to do. They were on a tight budget. Do you really think in the late 80s when they started the show they were thinking about designing so that people could think they were "in the theater" with Joel and the bots? No you fucking moron.

>That's more than what you get for donating to some streamer.
??
With a streamer they get to do the live chats, the DMs, REAL (although still internet based) interaction. MST3K wasn't chatting with fans. At most the did those read the mail segments (but I always thought some of those were written by the staff)

Star Trek was the ultimate friend simulator
Even furturama admited it during the Star Trek cast show when they pressed fry why he liked the show so much
>well when I didn’t have any friends, it sort of made me feel like I did.

>He tries to say there's no live chats but the MST3K crew did tons of conventions back in the day (and still do)
So does Star Trek, dummy. Is Star Trek a friend simulator as well? Almost every major film goes to Comic Con, is every major film a friend simulator as well?
Stop trying to inject your retarded current faggotry into past media.

>write a letter to mst3k
>they read it on air and respond
How is that really any different from typing something in a live chat and having them respond to you? It isn't.
>And "circulate the tapes" was more of a message to their fans to "spread the word" about the show.
No. You now revealed you have no clue what you're talking about. Back in the day, people would circulate the tapes. You'd have an episode you recorded, and you'd make a copy for someone else who didn't have that episode, often in return for an episode you didn't have. You don't even know what you're discussing. Just stop.

>Even furturama admited it during the Star Trek cast show when they pressed fry why he liked the show so much
>>well when I didn’t have any friends, it sort of made me feel like I did.
You're so fucking stupid.
Literally ANY show could be a friend simulator
"When I didn't have any friends, watching Friends/Seinfeld/Simpsons/The View/Conan, sort of made me feel like I did."

>MST3K wasn't chatting with fans.
Read fan mail on air.
Did conventions.
Did meet and greets.
Did Q&As.
Replied to letters and emails you sent them (if not on air then by post or email).
No, they chatted with their fans. You're wrong about this.

Eh, some shows lend themselves to it more. Not the guy you were suturing with btw, stop givin pg him yous

>How is that really any different from typing something in a live chat and having them respond to you? It isn't.
So any show that answered ONE or TWO pieces of mail per ep is the same as a fucking LIVE CHAT or DMs where there's a real back and forth converstaion where the fortnite streamer says nice things in order to preserve this faggot that keeps donating $ to him? You're fucking insane.
> You'd have an episode you recorded, and you'd make a copy for someone else who didn't have that episode, often in return for an episode you didn't have.
That's another way of looking at it. But I would literally tape shows and give them to my dad and some buddies that didn't have cable. You're so retarded.

Conventions weren't the only point I made.

If that show had a fan club, did conventions, did meet and greets, did Q&As, read fanmail on air, and actively encouraged fan clubs in the form of circulating tapes, and was shot in a way where you're made to feel like you're watching a movie with your buddies in the same theater, then sure, that show is also a friendship simulator.
>That's another way of looking at it.
That's the only way to look at it because that's literally what they meant. You fake fan. You phony. You don't know what you're talking about. Stop talking. I'm done replying to you. Christ almighty.

>Read fan mail on air.
You somehow think this is the same as some fortnite streamer taking $ from someone then having a live chat and private DMs (for the purpose of keeping the money going)? Fucking kys. I think Mr. Rogers read mail as well, was that a livechat as well?
>Did conventions.
>Did meet and greets.
>Did Q&As.
Star Trek and sports do this as well. Are they friend simulators as well? fucking moron.
>Replied to letters and emails you sent them (if not on air then by post or email).
You can send an email or letter to ANY show and you will get some generic "Thank you for your interst in X" reply from some intern.
Stop being so fucking stupid.

>Eh, some shows lend themselves to it more.
You really think Gene Roddenberry who struggled so hard to get Trek on the air and had to balance the insanity of Shatner with the rest of the cast was thinking of making some fucking "friend simulator". If the show ended up being that way, fine, but it's just happenstance.

pic related

Attached: d619a303192986413aff22acf2569dc558d64ab4b2a56387d7e00c6a59904e69.jpg (730x411, 38.08K)

>If that show had a fan club
Every scifi show had that. Music bands had that. It was just a way to keep the fanbase invested in the content.
> did conventions, did meet and greets, did Q&As,
Star Trek, athletes, horror film, etc all do this.
> actively encouraged fan clubs in the form of circulating tapes
Just more "spread the word" to keep the show going. You are really taken in by marketing tricks, retard.
> and was shot in a way where you're made to feel like you're watching a movie with your buddies in the same theater, then sure,
It was shot that way because it's basically chromakey + carboard seats painted black. It was CHEAP. You think these guys struggling to get this show going in the 80s on the budget cared to make it look like a place where the viewer was "in the theater" with Joel and the bots? Fuck no, retard.
>That's the only way to look at it because that's literally what they meant.
If you say so. But I did it a different way.
> You fake fan.
"herr derr you interpreted that vague message at the end of every ep slightly different from me you fake fan!"

>Conventions weren't the only point I made.
"Hell, I emailed the show back in the day and got responses every single time, and considering how small an operation they were, I wouldn't be shocked if it had been Joel replying to me. "
You said this, but I wanted to save you embarrassment of pointing out what a colossal retard you are. Odds are it wasn't Joel responding. It was probably some intern that handled all the mail with a script to work from.

Yep. "Circulate the tapes" meant circulate the tapes. I got a lot of the old episodes I missed from a guy living in Canada who couldn't get the Sci-Fi channel just by trading with him. Looking back, it's kind of weird to trade addresses with someone online from a newsgroup, but back then, I guess I didn't think about it too much.

You guys know “golden age” simpsons stole jokes, right? One of their writers saw the spring thing on mst3k and copied it. They outright stole material from every non-mainstream comedy. They weren’t homages or paying the original creators.

>One of their writers saw the spring thing on mst3k and copied it.
Simpsons Zinc film was in "Bart the Lover", aired February 13, 1992
MST3K Spring film was in "Squirm", aired August 1, 1999.
Simpsons didn't steal it from MSt3K. Odds are they saw the actual spring film at some point and parodied it.
How do you retarded zoomers even remember to breathe?

Yeah. I kind of miss those tapes. I remember when I first found episodes on Limewire and burned a bunch onto CDs (that I also gave to people who wanted them). Then the MST3K Digital Archive made basically every episode available, so buddy torrented them all and put them onto an external hard drive.
Now, I'm pretty sure they're all up on Youtube, some legit, some not.

Not that user. Was pretty sure Simpsons did it first because I remembered Coily was from the last Scifi season. That said, Simpsons writers were fans of MST3K and made references to them, so I get the confusion.

I really expected little but some of that was actually funny.
>John Candy
Wow.

youtube.com/watch?v=ANvQ2SE3z1Q

Yongyeah?

faggots

Friend simulator for boomers.

Before you say it, I have not donated a penny to a streamer. Can old people come up with a more creative insult? Probably not.

old mst3k crew would genuinely laugh at one another's jokes.
case in point youtu.be/nI1T2kLyEx8

Attached: IMG_20200222_153022.jpg (1886x1440, 166.49K)

>Friend simulator for boomers.
How is it a friend simulator you retarded faggot? It's comedy. If the show wasn't funny, no one would watch.
>I have not donated a penny to a streamer.
Sure faggot, but I'm sure you watch them all the time and defend them on Zig Forums and reddit.

>Can old people come up with a more creative insult?
Says the entire generation that answers "Ok, boomer" whenever they're challenged

>okay the government's not really involved their just my secret LSD experiments

Attached: IMG_20200429_075202.jpg (1847x1440, 152.3K)

Patton Oswalt

>on the left, On The Left, DICKWEED!

I didn't care for the time dedicated to her compared the time dedicated to Frank and Forester. I didn't mind Pearl as a character.

ok boomer

Go donate to a fortnite streamer.

New boomer checking in. This opinion is based as fuck. MST3k has aged like milk and ice come to realize it was never funny. Neither was Kids in the Hall, The State, or 90s era SNL. Take off your shitty nostalgia glasses.

>Harvey Weinstein as Tom Servo

What?

>MST3k has aged like milk
Name something funnier than MST3K from the last 5 years, faggot.
>Neither was Kids in the Hall, The State, or 90s era SNL.
Same question for this.

modern SNL shits on the old stuff

Just because you stopped liking s thing doesn't mean it was never good. You sound like a bitch and probably have bad taste

>modern SNL shits
Holy fucking kys
"WHITE PEOPLE BAD LOL!"

Joel was good at skits and I liked his dryness. He has an authentic weirdness whereass Mike seems to be acting as a character. Both are funny. Mike probably more good riffs but Joel's best are legendary such as Mitchell

the amount of seethe this post triggers lol

You could, or you could just watch full episodes.

Its always Sunny, last five years of South Park, Newer Curb, Silicon Valley (with JT Miller)

>nostalgia funny that’s actually good: MR Show, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders

Y'all are fighting over a geek show. Unbelievable.

God I need to watch this one now lol that killed me

it was shit then too.

Star wars vs Star Trek
Typical Zig Forums
etc.

Bait.

>Its always Sunny
The last 5 years of this show have been shit. But before that it was great.
> last five years of South Park,
No, dummy.
> Newer Curb,
Also no. Though the older season are some goat comedy
> Silicon Valley (with JT Miller)
back to bleddit, faggot.

>modern SNL shits on the old stuff
oh, you're retarded. Thanks for the heads up.

Put on an Joel era episode of MST3K wife my wife.
>hey I remember this being funny when I was 11
Within Ten minutes we’re watching Simpsons...
>I apologize to my wife saying I’ll never turn MST3K on again

None of those shows have aged well.

You're wife sounds like an unfunny bitch. Now, there were some shit MSt3k eps, but if you showed her Mitchell, Manos, or Pod People and she didn't like it, I would chuck a plugged in toaster in the bath while she's in it.

Sounds like you like being bored to tears. That’s cool. I don’t care if you like wasting your time on 25 year old plastic robot show that’s as cringey as any zoomer shit that comes out now.

youtube.com/watch?v=6d7Vk_qaiB8
this funnier than anything old SNL did

>Last five years of South Park

Yeah I love all those jokes and episode topics that are relevant for the exact week they are made. Modern south park ages like mayonnaise left on a summer sidewalk. They're outdated a month after they air.

>Sounds like you like being bored to tears.
Says the faggot that likes TJ Miller on Silicon Valley.

Are you fuckin' serious you zoomer retard?

I have a Youtube playlist of old MST3K episodes I liked that I put on, and it is beyond comfy as fuck. Every once and a while, I watch old episodes that I never saw, and they never fail to entertain. So yeah, I don't buy the "didn't age well" line. Aged like fine wine if you ask me. I think the only people who'd think it "didn't age well" are people who don't get all the old references or something.

Cool. Watch something else and go to another thread and talk about it. MST3K was always a cult show that appealed to a small group of people, so it's fine if you don't like it.

gud b8

To zoomer faggots, any piece of media that doesn't have a smartphone "didn't age well".

One of my favorite lines is from the Giant Mantis
>fire fighters spraying down the Lincoln Tunnel with hoses
>cop asks what they’re doing
“Sorry, sir. The Mantis was drinking from the wrong fountain.”
my sides kek

yes, I'm also not a zoomer, I'm 36. you guys just don't like that they make fun of trump every so often, but they make fun of him in the same way they made fun of all presidents.

>last five years of South Park
Nothing but orange man bad

Who cares? You can buy sushi from 7-11 in Japan. Sushi isn't some sacred treasure. It's literally just food, dude.

Attached: maxresdefault (8).jpg (1280x720, 105.5K)

The single funniest episode I've ever seen, second most being Future War

Attached: Finalsacrifice.jpg (254x391, 22.07K)

>yes, I'm also not a zoomer, I'm 36
Liar.
>you guys just don't like that they make fun of trump every so often,
I don't give a shit about that. Make fun ot Trump all you want as long as it's funny. You really think that sushi garbage you posted is funnier than Chris Farley's "livin in a van down by the river" character skits? Or Wayne's World?

>Future War
"What is this a halfway house for huge guys?"

Oh ok, you're lonely and are trolling to gain attention and human interaction. cool move user.

Mad TV is better

yes, but it's more John Mulaney that makes the skit for me. I love his stand-up.

>What happened?! We were batter dipping!
>aww there's no butter in my coffee

"SAVE THE MEATLOAF!"
What a fucking ep

So because you love his standup you like this shitty skit?

no I like him playing his character in this skit he's really funny.

First episode was bad but second one was decent and second season was overall good
Big problem is that they replace Midwest charm with hipster spazz

By pure coincidence, I'm actually watching Future War right now (just got to the part where the movie goes to the halfway house for huge guys), and Final Sacrifice is up next.

>I was a great hooker

Enjoy the absolute best of mst3k

"Hey kid got any whine?"
"like thiiiis?"

Bingo. Second season is atleast watchable. Wife and I are big MST3K fans and I knew it was going to be shit. Season 1 of the reboot gave me the same feeling as the Banjo and Kazooie reboot. Absolutely trash.

Gave season 2 a shot and glad I did, Mac and Me episode is kino. But it lacks a lot of the charm of the Mike days.

It's kind of hard for me to pick a best episode, even if I just narrow to the Sci-Fi years.
>Puma Man
>Prince of Space
>Final Sacrifice
>Future War
>Space Mutiny
>Time Chasers
>Riding With Death
>Hobgoblins
>Horror at Party Beach
>Agent for HARM
>Merlin's Mystic Shop of Horrors
>Quest of the Delta Knights
>ZAAT
>Werewolf
>Jack Frost
So many good episodes.

Didn't hit it's stride till the 2nd season.
With that said, I wish they just stuck to older movies rather than doing newer stuff. Though it has the same issue that MST3K originally did, the strength of the episodes are based around the "quality" of the movie. There's a difference between bad and boring.

>3. The movies on Rifftrax are mostly mainstream films. This is a big deal because even though things like Marvel movies sucks, they are competently made, acted, shot, etc. There's not much to really make fun of. Old B-movies, shorts, poorly translated films, are a gold mine of comedy that Rifftraxx doesn't really attempt to do anymore.

please don't pretend to know what kind of material they still do if you aren't actually looking or paying attention

Oddly, a lot of Rifftrax aren't mainstream movies, they're old ass shit that they can easily get the rights to so they can sell both the riff and the movie. But even the mainstream riffs are hilarious as fuck, also lol at calling Marvel movies "competently made," not that that matters since a movie doesn''t have to be "zomg the worst movie EVAR" for it to be funny to lob jokes at.

thanks for the list, I haven't seen a lot of those.

>tfw NETFUX took down classic MST3K episodes
It was making them look bad, I'm sure.

yep. Every Monday they release a new shitty b movie, and I watch it and luff

the pacific rim rip off was legitimately witty. I'm OK with newer movies so long as they're bad in the best way.

>lol at calling Marvel movies "competently made,"
How are they not competently made? Please explain? The movies are slick, very few production or editing errors, etc. They're fucking soulless garbage, but they're well made garbage. Watch "Girl in the Gold Boots" MST3K ep, there's a scene where the editing it so bad it looks like the guy teleports into the scene. Mike and the bots literally laugh at it.
> movie doesn''t have to be "zomg the worst movie EVAR" for it to be funny to lob jokes at.
It certainly helps. The best MST3K eps were usually the worst movies (in one form or another).

Almost all those episodes are available on Youtube. Also forgot Soultakers and Final Justice.
Those are great episodes, too.

That was the one that I was okay with. Weirdly enough I think the musical number skit they did was funny.
>GET IN YOUR MECH
>PROTECT YOUR NECK
>LIKE GREGORY PECK WERE DO IF HE WERE ALIVE

I saw a bunch of them on tubitv since tubitv is free. Last one I watched was Jack Frost, and it was so good.
Sorry, dude, I'm not interesting in arguing with you. Bother another user.

>Sorry, dude, I'm not interesting in arguing with you.
Then why reply, faggot?

The over production was it for me too. Soul Vs. Soulless for sure.

>tubitv
Pretty good stuff. In addition to Rifftrax, they have a lot of great old movies.

This.

Attached: hint.jpg (1497x919, 427.02K)

>In archeology all things are possible!
>Well, not..really?

Love this show.

Wait, Rifftrax is on Prime?
Seriously, Prime has a lot of good shit. I'm seriously considering it now
>Beyond Belief
>Urban Legends
>Unsolved Mysteries

The cast. The shitty writing. The onions voices. And Joel turning out to be a tasteless faggot.

I think Kevin or Bill once said in an interview that older bad movies tend to have a lot of weird gaps and pauses from bad editing that made them ideal for riffing, and I think it’s a big reason they went back to older movies, along with the fact that it’s just cheaper. This is why Twilight, despite being a modern series, worked so well - MASSIVE gaps in dialogue that can easily be filled with riffing without interrupting/talking over the movie.

MST3k is at its best when the film they are riffing was a serious attempt at making a movie and the movie turned out to be ridiculous.
When it was a lazy attempt at making a stupid movie, like a lot of the 50's B monster movies, the premise breaks down.

>He doesn't want to fuck Mike
Dude are you even gay?

Underrated

Attached: 91t40T-1cvL._RI_.jpg (1631x2175, 644.99K)

Yeah I've often gotten super bored watching those old B&W films they do just because the movie itself is not engaging in the slightest. I actually fell asleep during the Hamlet episode they did and I have never fallen asleep watching anything before.

It only worked because it was a type of nonpolitical innocent midwestern humor that we don't get from Hollywood.

And what happened? It was completely replaced with cringe Hollywood writing.

The one with Raul Julia in it is pretty fun.

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank? Oh heck yes.

He tried to kill me with a forklift

Attached: image.jpg (480x360, 11.39K)

Added to the list

I'm skimming free Prime right now so I'll be sure to check that out. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take any more you guys have.

Also I liked Pod People episode a lot.

it was okay while i was watching it- was especially expecting bullshit politics from patton and what's her name but don't remember any. I also cannot remember a single joke or movie from the rebooted series besides jonah randomly dying

Joel also committed to his "sleepy" character well and I like that he created the show in the first place. that was pretty cool