Is there a more ambitious project in kino history?

Attached: apocalypse-now-1280x720.jpg (1280x720, 69.25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M64UU9AaIYs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This film is not overrated like people say it is so you won’t have that many comments. Yes it was ambitious and yes it was amazing

answer the goddamn question

Heaven's Gate

Oh and also that soviet adaptation of war and peace that had like 100 thousand extras

That lived up to hype and actually was good? Probably not. We'll see how Dune works out but so far for mainstream cinema Apocalypse now is probably going to go down as one of the best films of all time for its scale and scope. Plus, my dad's vietnam vet buddy say it was the most accurate vietnam movie he's ever seen so that's cool.

Vietnam flick #1283274? THAT'S MY FAVORITE ONE!

Attached: nu-male-smile-png[2].371606_.png (309x368, 148.48K)

i heard it was a huge flop. is it any good though?

back to your sony movies, cuck

Attached: 1548403490833.jpg (644x800, 123.41K)

Yep, just a “Vietnam flick,” no wider pretensions, nope, none at all.

dont feed the trolls

Very good. It's an insanely ambitious and loooong movie that was severely truncated for a theatrical release which I think is where most of the hostility towards it stems from. It was a total disaster when it came out but now that there are longer versions available (that albeit still are not entirely according to Cimino's vision since he was pressured in to finishing filming earlier than he wanted to by the studio) it's garnered more of a following.

I've watched Apocalypse Now, FMJ, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, and The Deer Hunter. They were all so bland and mediocre that I genuinely can't remember which tired cliche scenes and characters belong to which film. Its all just blended into a flavorless stew. If Dad rock was a film genre it would be Vietnam flicks. If you've seen one you've seen them all.

War and Peace (1967)
youtube.com/watch?v=M64UU9AaIYs

No

thanks, i'll check it out

ben hur maybe

>I've watched Apocalypse Now, FMJ, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, and The Deer Hunter. They were all so bland and mediocre that I genuinely can't remember which tired cliche scenes and characters belong to which film. Its all just blended into a flavorless stew. If Dad rock was a film genre it would be Vietnam flicks. If you've seen one you've seen them all.

Attached: 1588183303334.jpg (1500x1500, 259.19K)

Even as just a "vietnam flick" it actually accurately depicts the metaphorical chaos of the war much better than any other vietnam film. Is it technically accurate from an army fag pov? No not at all. A special forces officer (18A) wouldn't be going alone in the jungle to take an O5 special forces officer without an ODA. The MACV-SOG (closest depiction of Captain Willard) guys were badass but they didn't conduct even special recon missions alone. Hell most officers don't even really go outside the wire that often beyond captain. But other aspects like the kid dropping acid were actually very accurate. By 68, drug use began to surge in country with a lot of guys even getting their hands on opium that was coming in from Laos. Psychedelics were less common than weed but still generally accessible. That depiction of the "smells like napalm" O5 is also a completely accurate depiction personality wise of a lot of prior-enlisted officers still in I know that've deployed since 2001. Hell one captain I did a detail for legit expressed sadness for the fact that he was medically retiring and wouldn't be able to deploy anymore. He's getting a full pension for the rest of his life but all he wants to do is go out and kick doors in with his team. The film obviously goes into so much more than just a simple depiction of war but even that it does so well.

Lord of the Rings

DAU.

Attached: dau.jpg (1903x1064, 463.62K)

>it’s another Vietnam War movie about how badass Americans are and completely omits American atrocities

>ignoring the fact that Captain willard point blank executes an unarmed combatant
>ignoring the fact that Colonel kurtz literally describes how he uses war crimes to strike fear into the Viet cong that the Americans can't do through their relative lack of brutality
Also Captain Willard is an SF dude. Sure he commits war crimes but intelligently and not blatantly like the Mai Lai guys. The type of units that carried out war crimes were typically units with long ass deployments (18 months+) that had a fuck ton of draftees with no selection process. LRRP units, SF units, any units with higher standards avoided giant massacres like Mai Lai even if some of them they did carry out systematic torture like Phoenix group.

I’m just baiting, I haven’t seen Apocalypse Now in two years

They massacre a boat full of innocent gooks at one point. Can you for once watch a movie before you shit on it?

These are all good answers
Both Herzog's Fitzcarraldo and Aguirre deserve a mention, they weren't ambitious in terms of an enormous budget and resource pool, but in what went into making the films. Shooting on location in the Amazon, wearing suits of armor while riding shitty rafts down raging rivers, towing a steamboat over a mountain, the amount of times people almost died, etc. Probably the most ambitious undertakings by an independent filmmaker not really attached to a major studio.

Attached: fitzcarraldo.jpg (1280x720, 94.53K)

Alright /film/, where and how do I start with this?

Maybe in movie history but not in kino history.

Yeah Fitzcarraldo would be my choice if we're looking at non-independent films. For mainstream studio kino though Apocalypse now was pretty fucking bad. it had actors getting typhoid, heart attacks, and overall dealing with horrible conditions in the philippines. At one point a typhoon completely destroyed the set and stopped production. Plus you had martin sheen losing his fucking mind (intro scene was him legitimately getting absolutely and actually cutting himself) along with dennis hopper coked out and losing it as well. The BTS documentary was actually pretty solid if you want to see a studio's nightmare for a big budget project.

The Russian version of War and Peace

Lol

They're currently being released here:
dau.movie/en
The ones out so far in the order they've been released are Natasha, Degeneration, Nora Mother, Three Days.
Watching them in that order has been a pretty good introduction to what you can expect and the scope of the project.
I recommend reading a bit about the production so you know what you're dealing with, this project is huge.

snoozefest lol, conrad is spinning in his grave, just watch FMJ, it has likeable characters

Friedkin's Sorcerer is also a contender.

Those early epics with a casts in the thousands & ungodly practical effects & sets.

Intolerance you idiots.

Attached: Set.png (1600x1288, 3.78M)

Like this

Pic related caused a lot of outrage as well which definitely didn’t help at the box office

Attached: 3E90B80A-FECD-48DD-8651-B1C6871B4212.jpg (640x850, 287.9K)

The only likeable character in FMJ is the lone vietnamese sniper who takes out half the squad