Wtf happened bros? He was a solid 8/10 protag but went full retard less than 12 episodes in

wtf happened bros? He was a solid 8/10 protag but went full retard less than 12 episodes in

Attached: 4F372639-AF2E-45B2-BF21-F12040F73869.png (1842x1036, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1WYmUj3iL8zqFKq9wQewDBr5H62qsZ6AP-MSQb3p59n0/edit#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he was 3/10 at the start and devolved into 0/10
truly a despicable self insert, I can't even imagine fucking emilia as subaru without wanting to throw up and kill myself

>Emilia

essential plot development
In the LNs he was always a self absorbed entitled fuck niceguy. I think the author originally was trying to deconstruct the standard isekai protagonist but went legit with it later on once the money started coming in.
They tried to tone that down in the anime, but they couldn't change this part without changing the plot so it kind of comes out of nowhere in the adaptation.

Examples of the niceguy moments?

You're a fucking moron. He was a 2/10 protag at best until episode 12 when he actually became interesting. His Eliot Rodger tendencies made perfect sense considering his NEET background and were even understandable to a certain extent since he actually was going through a lot of horrible shit that only he knew about. You really think after all that he wouldn't freak out and have a breakdown, especially when you take into account his protagonist complex? I'm sure you think him acting like a selfish retard in the princess ceremony was a new direction for his character, but that just shows your inability to actually understand what kind of person he was from the very get go. He was selfish since episode 1 but it just happened to manifest in ways that helped everyone. He had a string of luck (and retries thanks to his power) that inflated his ego even more until episode 12 when his selfish behavior finally backfired and he revealed to everyone what kind of person he was. They throw this away at the end of episode 18 and his character becomes a dime a dozen uninteresting isekai protag, and the show unsurprisingly takes a nosedive as a result.

Attached: DFYi69K.png (482x768, 197.05K)

Fuck i dont remember, it's been like 4 years.

>self insert
subaru isn't a self insert

He is for me.
Because i'm a piece of shit

i mean he still spergs out and wants to murder people in the next arc, but once again by the end he forgives that lion fucktard which is my issue with this series in that he builds up then never delivers.

You're a fucking moron

Attached: asdfg.png (479x758, 161.86K)

I like how hes learning not to be a selfish retard. In fact I think him having his ego busted and him having to go through the difficult process of confronting his faults is what makes the series good. Of course he isn't going to act the same in episode 18 as he did at episode 12.

no he was definitely an inoffensive MC at the start

Wasn't he adamant that Felt called him Onee-chan because he wanted to emulate the imouto
trope?

Wrong comment
I was replying to this

Development is good but the way it’s done in 18 feels unnatural. Rem boosting his spirits is fine but he basically turns into an action hero in 18 right after being at his lowest point.

Also I meant person

OP a fag

Emilia > Rem

Attached: emilia suki rezero.jpg (960x960, 140.65K)

I've had days like this.
Don't give up.

emilia is for dogs and innocent shota villagers

Attached: dogs.gif (320x182, 2.5M)

>They throw this away at the end of episode 18 and his character becomes a dime a dozen uninteresting isekai protag, and the show unsurprisingly takes a nosedive as a result.
No they don't. The anime does because of the director was a Emiliafag who hated Rem (it was a producer that saved Rem's scenes). But not the source material, his hero complex (more accurately his self validation complex) is directed towards Rem instead of Emilia from episode 18 onwards. Rem validates him, she told him he was her hero and that was all Subaru needed and looked for. In the source material he falls for Rem because of this and she becomes the thing that binds his fragile heart. He's still selfish to the core, but he wants to be the hero that Rem loves.

This... for this reason

I love you. Finally someone shares my point.

Attached: 1586131524831.jpg (431x377, 25.77K)

not him but
>“I’m the person who saved your life! Your rescuer! Now you are the heroine I rescued. Don’t you think that I should get some kind of reward? Don’t you think so?!” ( Arc 1 after defeating Elsa)
This is a big problem I have with the anime. It doesn't have his monologues. I stress that Subaru's monologues cannot be left to interpretation and must be explicitly stated because he isn't a bland self insert.

This is from the carriage ride back to mansion the first time where he goes mindbroken after seeing everybody dead (this before he sees the village).
>“Nothing will work unless I’m with her… Now she’ll understand that.”
>It was unfounded certainty—no, it was nothing but hope.
>Emilia had fallen into peril. If he was there, galloping to her rescue, somehow everything would work out. That was his slender, flickering hope, in danger of being snuffed out by the wind.
>He wanted to prove his worth. He needed to.
>If Emilia was in distress, Subaru would save her.”
>“No, that’s how it had to be. Subaru needed Emilia to fall into peril so that he could discover his own value—and show others that he had worth.
>“That’s right… It’s no good if I’m not with her. For sure…!”

I'm pretty sure anyone who actually read the novels would get it, I'm not sure how he understood it from the anime where they actively made him into a self insert character.

Damn... He's almost a completely different character. Did they add any of the monologues.
To the director's cut?

nope the director's cut adds nothing except one scene at the end. it censors the burned villagers due to the kyoanus fire

I personally would not waste the time watching that, you don't have anything against reading right?

Nope not at all.

He literally ignored lessons that entire arcs were based on learning to surmount, emotional payoff and all. That's not good writing it's hamfisted slop. Remove your tongue from this authors anus before you post

then here. should have everything you need.
docs.google.com/document/d/1WYmUj3iL8zqFKq9wQewDBr5H62qsZ6AP-MSQb3p59n0/edit#

Attached: rui-li-finaloutput.jpg (1920x1280, 612.55K)

>fucks up one time with maids
>kills himself to start anew
>fucks up that time
>does nothing
Why

>fucks up one time with maids
>kills himself to start anew
shit went really south that time and there was an angry ram. nobodies life was in danger after the fiasco and he really didn't register it as a mistake. also with how things play out it wasn't a mistake, the novel reveals in the same volume that Roswaal WANTED Subaru to show up at the event, having arranged it with Rem and the guards to let Subaru in as if he knew something would come of it.

Ah nice, thanks bro.

If he didn't off himself when Rem died then Ram was definitely going to make sure he was dead.

good pasta
yum

I think he is a decent mc, what really annoys me is how stupid he is, and not taking advantage of his immortality. Puck literally tells him that the white whale is gluttony, which he doesn't use for anything. Furthermore, that witches cult guy tells him he is greed right in his face, and he just ignores him like a fucking retard.

Attached: nuttet pepe.png (801x527, 62.11K)

He's objectively the worst anime protagonist Japan ever created.
>muh realistic behaviour
No, not at all, no one in the fucking world that much of a disgusting, despicable little shit. He did literally every time in the anime the exact opposite what he should and what would be logical. He's so fucking dumb it's nauseating. I never in my life hated any character that much than I hate him. The only worse character in this show is the retarded antagonist, I don't even remember his name, they tried to write him as a crazy psycho but he's just act like a degenerate and it was embarrassing to watch.
>Subaru isn't a delf-insert
Probably because he so dumb and so much of a weak, coward but selfish little bitch that even the average weeb can't relate with it.

The Lns make a much bigger deal of showing he's terrified the entire time and is only hanging on due to small things like holding Rems hand throughout the negotiation

Dumb frogposter

shut up weeb

>no one in the fucking world that much of a disgusting, despicable little shit
LMAO

ITT: anons who can't accept a protagonist who makes mistakes, pays the consequences and self-imrproves.
he has a cheat ability that allows him to do the latter. he's supposed to be flawed, he does multiple mistakes in which he can't fix either the one being his magic gate getting fucked.
characters breaking down and revealing some underlying problems is far more interesting than a character who is single-toned ones with easily fixable flaws at worst.
i wouldn't call a character who's highly regarded, make their audience reel in disgust or cringe and change their opinion on him from a single event a bad character.
he's not amazing by any means, he started as a bland 4/10 and turned into a 6/10 from just these type of scenes alone

For such a "bad" protagonist, he sure gets a lot of threads from Zig Forums. Might as well make a Subaru general at this point.

>
>>no one in the fucking world that much of a disgusting, despicable little shit
>LMAO
LMAO

Kill yourself frogposter.

a general for my husbando? that would be great

Attached: DqDfaLOUUAAU1Xv.png (960x1062, 1.18M)

Jesus fuck filled christ

huh

Bump, want to see more people shitting on this incel

>self insert

I self insert as Roswaal, thank you very much.

I never plan on seeing this anime. What's the big deal about this scene?

I think it does kinda work in the anime, if you consider all the stress and humiliation he caused for himself after getting too cocky. Add to that the fact that he can't tell anybody what's really happening to him, it seems natural that he would snap and lash out at somebody.

The sheer level of incel he was on was surprising though.

MC has a pretty good realistic emotional breakdown and absolute retards give the character shit instead of prasing it.

The guy in this picture (Subaru) got in a fight with a knight, mainly because the knight out of
courtesy kissed the hand of a half-elf girl (Emilia)
That Subaru is obsess with. Following the fight
Emilia confronts Subaru about his actions thus far.
Subaru proceeds to snap, mainly because he thought Emilia would be the one to understand
him and his actions better than anyone else.
Also this is a ULTRA condensed telling of events so take it with a grain of salt.

Like I said, I'm beginning to enjoy seeing Subaru get humiliated and hurt.

He's a loud mouthed little bitch and he needs to be put in his place.
The series would be better if Emilia had a sadistic streak and flattened his dick once in a while.

Attached: subaru.png (1000x563, 152.48K)

You forgot to mention that he constantly goes against her wishes and thinking he knows better, despite being completely out of his depth.

Ya, He also has a bit of an ego and constantly talks more than he should.

Sounds like a hot idea for a doujin. Think about, Subaru fucks something up and Emilia decides to "teach him a lesson" by treating him like a little bitch.

>Not abusing his power

Are you implying he should have killed himself more? Dumb frog

>Coward

You would have run like a little bitch after the first restart and you fucking know it.

self insert fags got btfo because the character is a realistic depiction of jap otaku white knights and how they'd really view an isekai scenario like this.

Wasn't the first time Subaru restarted was after Elsa killed? That guy would look pretty suspicious
suddenly running in a marketplace for no reason.

Tragedy conga line series never don't go full retard unless it's a natural disaster series.

Attached: A1TjNghUeFL.jpg (1709x2399, 1.1M)

C'mon man, frogs have feelings too.

I imagine you could put that directly after the duel with Julius and when he starts going on his pathetic rant, that's where Emilia should interrupt him.
It'd write itself
>I'm sorry, Subaru. I tried treating you like my friend, but now I see you'd much rather be my dog. You wag your tail and follow me anywhere I go, no matter what I say. You're an unruly dog without discipline.
>Emilia... What are you-
>It seems like I must teach you not to bare your teeth at your master as well. From now on you sleep on the floor. You'll receive food only if you behave and only speak when you have my permission.
>EMILIA!
>Quiet. This collar is for you. Wear it or leave my sight and never return.

Attached: Emilia.png (602x339, 211.36K)

>waah how dare they directly address that the protag had underhanded motives that he hates himself for, why coudn't he just be a flawless gary stu

A seemingly sweet girl such as Emilia has her sadistic side awaken through Subaru's failings
and a need to punish him. Subarashii

thanks for spoiler you piece of shit. KYS

So basically the anime is a poor adaptation by a Emiliafag? I may have to give this a second chance then.

*ahem*
FUCK RAM

Attached: 1582213971367.png (625x874, 631.48K)

God bless the Refags.

...goddamnit. She's such a shell of a character that this is a massive improvement.

*Remfags,

Unironically it would be infinitely better than the original.

>They throw this away at the end of episode 18 and his character becomes a dime a dozen uninteresting isekai protag, and the show unsurprisingly takes a nosedive as a result.

Read the light novel instead, or at least watch the director's cut.

Subraru's life of suffering never ends.

Attached: 1468204471694.png (1280x720, 519.62K)

Rem would still try to be nice to him, but considering Subaru's simping ways, he'd turn into a willing pet quickly.
It'd also probably change Emilia's perception at court.
>Look, there's the white witch and her thrall.
>Scary.

This might be the most kino moment in the entire show. It's an eerily beautiful scene of eldritch horror. And the fact that the credits run over Subaru's corpse slowly being snowed over to a serene melody is basically kino.

Did you retards even watch the rest of the anime?

The fact that I both love and hate the guy makes him a good protagonist to me

It was unnerving, yeah. Director did a good job.

>Likes Mayo on fucking chicken wings
He deserves every moment of suffering

Attached: subaru mayo.png (452x471, 358.02K)

Reminder that his birthday is April 1st

I've now seen a bit of all the Isekai Quartet shows and I can say without the shadow of a doubt that Overlord is the worst of the lot.

All of them at least try to bring something interesting to the table. Overlord is just some asshole's autistic self-insert Skeletor fanfiction. I have no clue why people like it.

Im only like 4 episodes in but I think Ainz is cool
Good design and voice and it seems like he's just going with the flow before he starts fucking shit up

I'm not even surprised that there's retards like you still around spouting dumbshit
>Subaru didn’t consider his anger some kind of noble indignation. After all, only Reinhard and Wilhelm could understand their own feelings.
>Subaru was an outsider who had simply been angry that such an atmosphere had been defiled.
>His anger was purely for his own sake.
>“If you were angry, why didn’t you say something? I couldn’t have calmly dealt with the old man alone but if you’d been backing me up then we might have fazed him.”
>“No matter what, he’s still the deputy commander of the knights. It’d be fairly troublesome if I made an enemy of a commanding officer.”
>“This doesn’t have to do with your rank. Not to mention, you just blurted ‘no matter what’, don’t be so narrow minded. You’re constantly thinking about behaving like a knight, or acting with a knight’s demeanor, or whatever. Is even your heart coated in a knight’s armor?”
>“——”
>Facing a silent Julius, Subaru rested his elbows on his knees and with his cheeks in his palms, gave an exaggerated sigh.
4 years later and your dumbass still can't read let alone listen

I mean considering all of them have killed him once I'm surprised he hasn't just given in and start Simping for the Witch of Envy now.

It has the fundamental problem that all bottom barrel isekai has. It's shallow power fantasy.
Konosuba is about a stupid dickhead having to put up with other stupid dickheads in a fantasy world.
ReZero is about an angry incel getting thrown into Dark Souls until he stops being a shit.
Tanya the Evil is about edgy Dilbert having a pissing contest with God during World War 1.

Those are all at least premises. Whereas Overlord is just: "What if you were an evil Overlord. JK not really.Here are a bunch of NPCs to kiss your ass."

I rate them as Re: Zero > Tanya > Konosuba > Overlord
I dropped Overlord awhile back and I've been watching other stuff so I dont expect to get back to it anytime soon

Question for LNfags, is this whole thing leading up to "Satella dindu nuffin"?

we don't know shit yet
tappei is a lazy fuck and LN is gonna catch up to WN soon

Yeah I can't see anything topping Re Zero at least as an isekai. I'm surprised a masterpiece like this gets so much hate but I guess it'll happen since barely anyone reads the WN

I don't think he ever even peaked at 8. But that's okay because he isn't supposed to be that kind of protagonist.

It has a really strong lead character and a cool premise
I wouldnt consider it a masterpiece but I enjoy it a lot

Is Re:Zero worth watching if I don't really mind insufferable characters as long as the show is interesting enough? I greatly enjoyed Konosuba and Youjo Senki despite of Kazuma and Tanya having varying degrees of jerkiness. I'd even say both protagonist's flaws made their shows more fun to watch.

Subaru comes off as a lovable dork with varying degrees of stupidity when the series first starts
I only truly hated the bastard on episodes 12 because of his several autistic meltdowns and 18 for obvious reasons, but I always ended up liking him again
Overall I think its a good watch

yes, it's just Zig Forums that's butthurt as fuck about subaru character. i watched in back in 2016 and i cringed a bit in maybe 2 episodes, but i realized that's a part of his character and there's nothing to be really upset about.

Subaru being insufferable at some point in the series doesn't come out of nowhere. The guy was going to have a meltdown at some point. I think the show itself IS interesting enough but you won't actually get anything that answers any of the questions that you ask. I guess, except for that one scene where you wonder if Rem actually stood a chance. It's very much a long haul journey and here's to hoping S2 moves the plot forward.

Its definitely a masterpiece. The amount of detail and depth he puts into the characters is truly unmatched

The average person is more capable than you think. Every time there's a disaster, there are always bystanders who put themselves in danger to help others, despite not being told to do so.

I mean getting disemboweled sounds fucked

Subaru kuuuun~

Attached: beetlejuice subaru kun.png (1366x768, 719.47K)

Clearly you haven't seen many Chinese gore videos

>This is getting kinda heavy. I know, let's lighten the mood and introduce a villain that looks like a cucumber and behaves like Jim Carrey on crack.
Sausage, Tappei sensei

betelgeuse is based

DES

Attached: 1586135839499.png (458x411, 145.32K)

Genuinely can't tell if this is real or cgi

Rem's fat demon tits

so many anons post this. i get that it's total cringe, i despise the scene too, but subaru gets better after a few episodes, so this is not a reason to drop or even post it here with that shitty "wtf happened bros?". finish it first. btw this is probably the worst scene they could've made to make the viewer understand his mental trauma lol.

The weirdest part is how he becomes more affectionate towards Rem after she tortures and kills him.
Not knowing shit about her backstory, he really should assume that she's a fucking psycho and be afraid of her.
But instead he seems to instantly understand that he needs to gain her trust instead.

I dont even get why they post this, the guy goes into the world thinking he'll be christ-kun and arguably saves emilia life multiple times without her knowledge of course he'll sperg

>die horrible deaths multiple times just to save people
>when you have an inevitable breakdown and demand recognition Zig Forums (reddit) users call you a niceguy

I see, self-inserters are mad again

Why wouldn’t Subaru forgive Garfiel? He’s best boy, and has one of the best dynamics with Subaru. Plus he’s a powerhouse that could help Emilia’s camp an he’s actually a kind person who’s just lashing out because of his childhood traumas.

but he's right, the people complaining about
>muh incel
are retarded, subaru wasn't in the right to sperg out but he did die countless of times to save emilia camp and at some point he has a breakdown. it's still cringe, but it's a consequence of what he's been through.
i guess people come after watching typical isekai garbage and expect the MC to be a gary stu

Subaru becomes a much better character in Arc 4.

plus he was basically manipulated by one of the loligrandmas to distrust subaru and he's literally a kid.
not to mention garfiel helps emilia camp in the mansion later so he redeems himself

>gets transported into a fantasy world
>it works like a game where he resets after dying
>"hurrrr he's a retard for treating this world like a game and its inhabitants as NPCs"

My bet is that this is a very heavily edited picture of a real girl.

I wouldn't mind Subaru's character if the point of the show was actually about his character progression, when much like any other isekai it actually just revolves around bullshit game-like power fantasies