How do we resurrect the RTS genre?

Attached: age1.0.jpg (1200x675, 606.67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y7Fzj1-DTXw
youtube.com/watch?v=LaxyF0yvPwI
youtube.com/watch?v=xVJqw977S_8
youtube.com/watch?v=x530q4hlv9c
youtube.com/watch?v=OBm2mz3IHoM
twitter.com/OfficialCnC/status/1237804141361025029
youtube.com/watch?v=szC66-weN40
youtube.com/watch?v=oNZ7oto4z4A
youtube.com/watch?v=VIt6FqL8JQo
youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can't.
Only indie studios could do it for money reasons and they will never be capable to create a good AI Pathfinding.
I'd like to see a new Warcraft 3, a good RTS with a strong campaign (don't give a fuck about cinematics) with enjoyable lore/characters etc... but it won't happen I guess.

an rts with decent ai would be nice, also for the player, like issuing more complex orders other than "attack here"

and an option to take control of every unit on the battlefield and play it as 3rd person, this would also buff the unit and be a core mechanic to swap around between 3rd and rts camera and units

Was Company of Heroes the last good RTS game?

Waiting for Relic to hurry the fuck up with AoE4 so they can make CoH3

I've been playing Northgard. It's pretty good.

it's already resurrected. we have aoe2 remake and soon aoe4

if your definintion of resurrected is "become popular" why the fuck would you want that? i don't want even more brainless normies and redditors in my game

>Only indie studios could do it for money reasons and they will never be capable to create a good AI Pathfinding.

Problem is even when you get new RTS they're basically treading same old grounds.

>Grey Goo
>Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
>Cossacks 3

AoE 2 isn't dead, dock mills is a great new feature.

That said recent balance patch wasn't the best, they should nerf stirrups and buff konniks, otherwise Bulgarians are just a knight civ.

Starcraft 2 esports killed rts, once everyone realised that being good means being efficient all the fun gets sucked out of the game.

I think the genre should evolve, fuse it with the colony management style of game so it isn’t pvp focussed. Sort of like they are billions except less tower defence and more like age of empires 2.

It could be there on the top if it and COH2 and run on more than one core and two gigs of RAM. You can't even run a 4v4 Spearhead game without crashing.

By e-mailing Jeff Orkin, asking him for suggestions regarding literature and documentation on AI development in video games,
then focusing for 2 or 3 years on that and how to apply it to RTS,
and then making an isometric Red Alert 2 or Stronghold Crusaders like game since this artstyle is undying and easy and probably would look even more glorious with modern polish on the format where you now have excess processing power for AI and prop quantity.

Attached: 1390525860928.jpg (252x233, 20.79K)

to be fair cossacks 3 is a straight up remake of the first game. why they put a number there is beyond me. campaigns sadly aren't as difficult from what I hear, though.

Attached: 84Mk4gYJkP9EwnKx7KjLR6.jpg (1916x1080, 1.88M)

I refuse to play the remake, stacking technology research is absolutely retarded and removed all skill from the game. And the new civs all fucking suck and the unique units are trash.

upgrade your toaster

fuck off mbl

EA is probing with C&C Remastered if the RTS market is still viable. If that leads to other C&C titles to be remastered, I hope they only stick to QoL upgrades, like resolution fixes and whatnot.

Attached: are you done with your lunch yet yuri no comrade general I just got my mac n cheese.jpg (480x640, 54.85K)

t. poorfag

spent hundreds of hours in MP CoH2 just fine

Sins of a Solar Empire 2 when?

Attached: 20180211072735_1.jpg (1600x900, 245.23K)

RTS just need to drop the APM shit and include some meaningful tactics. Instead of micromanaging your 5 million special abilities and moving every ship in your 6 gorillion ship fleet the better strategy should win. Unfortunately, it's mostly just counter units and fleet composition.

>mfw games last for HOURS and pirates are the biggest threat, not other players

Attached: laughing big cats_face.jpg (393x391, 56.61K)

1 still holds up desu. The only thing that really needs fixing is lag and stuttering in late game

Read again. COH1/2 is poorly optimized for multi-core and higher RAM usage. The game actually can run out of memory and crash because it doesn't utilize more than the 1-2 cores and 2 gigabytes of RAM, while everyone nowadays has quadruple the cores and octuple the RAM.

You don't even know what strategy is.

Attached: justwerks.jpg (540x540, 42.34K)

I always set ai to very hard, otherwise they get farmed by pirates when pirates themselves are free exp.

It only lags and stutters endgame because the game is single-threaded. They'd have to update the entire game engine to handle multi-cores and threads.

Attached: WARNING.jpg (640x480, 242.22K)

I've always wanted to make an RTS game but my studio has always said need a game design.

Everytime, I try and get any further than a basic game design document won't sell.

I wish i knew what people wanted, I know what i want but that doesn't sell.

I know. Depends on whether you wanna buy the same game again just for the extra FPS. I don't really know what to add and I already heavily disliked titans.

Go to RTS forums (read: not MOBA) and ask around, make polls and shit. Investigate.

That's at least a one time deal. I remember Emperor: Battle for Dune where each campaign was on its own disk.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1447x996, 202.18K)

i wish someone would make an RTS where multiplayer is about building a giant kingdom and it becomes like a mini-civ game where you can do relations with other players and shit. instead of autistic APM and micro being the way to be competitive, I want an rts where it's viable to actually turtle and build a giant Stronghold-like base instead of just autistically clicking rocks and workers as fast as I can. almost like if people roleplayed in multiplayer Stronghold, but as the main game and not just roleplay

>Go to RTS forums (read: not MOBA) and ask around, make polls and shit. Investigate.
No replys.. ever so helpful *just do what you want to do*

That sounds like Rise of Nations, user.

Supreme Commander or Rise of Nations ?

Attached: doggo-face.jpg (397x397, 17.29K)

>stacking technology research
What is bad about that?

They'd probably make a campaign since the biggest complaint I've seen over the years was 'No campaign wahhh why??' and throw in a new faction in the form of the nanite swarm that the vasari are running from.

Niggers always mention the APM meme, but that can be easily circumvented for 90% by just not adding Korean or Mandarin to the available languages.

based
My favourite RTS of all time.

Attached: RoN.jpg (1920x1080, 348.91K)

I had an idea in an older thread, it is basically a war in hell with each sin as a faction.

loved that game, especially the campaign is kino

FUCK I sunk so many hours into that game, Rise of Legends is bretty gud too.

Not really interested in either of those. Multiplayer is probably the biggest pro of Sins. They'd really have to pull a new mechanic out of their sleaves to make it a worthwhile purchase if you have already played 1.

I've had a similar idea but that was more of a what if and more of a FPS game with different time periods.

They're probing with the wrong C&Cs.

Attached: YuriIsNoLongerKremlin.gif (237x248, 156.8K)

FPS genre moved on from copying Doom.
RTS genre is literally copy&pasting the same game for the past 25 years.

TS and RA2 only need QoL updates, if they need them at all.

Bring back singleplayer.

Attached: RTS in memoriam.jpg (1280x720, 382.44K)

It's not dead, you mongrel
It's just not popular, since RTS are niche compared to other mainstream games

I kind of just moved away to total war or crusader kings II. I actually prefer turn based strategy, like Fantasy Wars or Age of Wonders (though it had simultaneous turns as well). And sadly you don't see those discussed around here.
But in both cases I want story campaigns and robust scenario/campaign map editor and random map generator, like Age of Wonders games had.

Also, Warcraft 4 (made by better devs) that retcons WoW (can pull some ideas from it) with Queen Azshara campaign when?

Ehhh.... the campaign wasn't as good as RoN, and while the animation scenes looked pretty, they weren't exactly produced well, with weird audio desyncs.

I will, anons. But you have to wait for couple of years until I get proficient with programming. WARNING. It will cater only to competitive persons. If you want to build stuff go back playing city sims or or if want watching units die go back to auto battlers. The gerne is enough fragmented.

Don't fix what aint broken.

made my own thread for this cos I didn't notice this one.

Is there any RTS similar to the 8-bit series?

Attached: ss_f91476de357460e77bec2cbd71b004e842ddd84e.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 714.42K)

>And sadly you don't see those discussed around here.
That's because they are discussed in the one general that has not been infested with waifu-faggotry and/or e-sports drama.

Attached: 1560718023100.png (666x600, 310.11K)

I love that game, but the Steam version is kind of buggy.
>Play a game
>save it
>exit it
>go to the menu and change the language
>open the saved game
>game crashes immediately and/or the text becomes a mix of both languages

>stacking technology research is absolutely retarded and removed all skill from the game
You're just mad people engage in fights with their armor upgrades more often or what?

bannerlord still game but more strategy focused. manage the battle, siege from field, be part of action.

I visit that general sometimes. It still is mostly focused on RTS and not TBS. But then, I think there are more high profile RTS games than there are TBS ones so it's not surprising.

RTS is a dead end genre that reached its logical conclusion in MOBAS.

There is not a single unique mechanic in RTS games, all the RTS genre depends on is micro. Micro is not a genre mechanic, it is a manner of playing games. There is micro in FPS games, for example.

RTS games in recent years have been eclipsed by tactics games, which are real strategy games, real-time or turn-based regardless.

All of the common mechanics of classical RTS games are anti-immersive: you have groups of single units fighting battles as opposed to platoons, you have singular base buildings spewing units, all of which is an untenably immature portrayal of warfare, and as video games have achieved more versimmilitude it is no longer possible for players to buy into such a childish reproduction.

Attached: 1586788869841.gif (360x458, 3.23M)

you cant - phone zombies are too retarded

>removed all skill from the game
okay sub 500 elo

8-bit is basically a remake of the classic C&C games without the lore and top tier voice acting.C&C 3 is the newest of the good C&C games, try that.

Attached: previous_high_scores.jpg (520x387, 171.59K)

There is always a market for C&C games. GOOD C&C games. Not like THAT GAME WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT (and not, it's not Tiberium Wars and Kane's Wrath, because those are actually good).

True. Not enough love for TBS but we have a new Planetfall expansion, King's Bounty 2 and yet another HoMM coming up so hope lives on.

Attached: 20200409004827_1.jpg (1920x1080, 512.54K)

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm looking for other games which steal the C&C gameplay loop. I know "build harvesters, build massive army, crush opponent" is simple, but it's just so satisfying.

tfw still over a month until C&C + RA1 remastered

>Planetfall
I don't hate the game, but the fact that they named it Age of Wonders felt wrong... Like just a marketing trick. It's only Age of Wonders in a sense that it similar to AoWIII and is made by the same studio. Fuck, I'm nostalgic about Age of Wonders I as hell. My favourite childhood game.
>another HoMM
Wait, really? Missed that.

aoe2 redbull tournament happening right now my dude.

thats a damn spicy take

RTS multiplayer was fun until people learned how to play
That just means it's a bad genre

>EA is probing with C&C Remastered if the RTS market is still viable
did you miss the other dozen remastered RTS games that have come out in the last couple of years?

-Good campaign
-Focus heavily on macro, because people who enjoy RTS micro will be better served by mobas.

Man I miss Stronghold.

Look, I love TS and RA2 but it's naive to say they do't need improvements. This is what's going to drown TD and RA1 remasters, those games are so basic and dated they needed remakes.

>another HoMM coming up so hope lives on.
You mean that autochess clone? FUCK THAT SHIT AND FUCK UBISOFT. They literally have a goose that lays literal Faberge Eggs, but instead of actually making good things with it, they fuck it up. The last good games they published is a 3D version of Heroes III that was the 5th game and had two nice expansions, a spin-off for the 3DS that later got a heavily updated release on Steam and is very fun and a FP kicking simulator.

AoW3 is the first AoW that I liked, the miss chances in the older ones were too much for a supposed strategy game.
be careful what you wish for

Attached: 1563405538037.jpg (1904x2532, 1.93M)

>yfw you were there

Attached: monkey paw.jpg (1323x173, 38.58K)

Do you think the people that parrot 'RTS games are dead' are the same folk that are fucking awful at them?

I would like to play SC 2, like the visuals and design.

But im too old for that APM shit, no use even trying to compete. Same with every other RTS game

Yes. Just because I'm awful at them doesn't mean I'm not the target audience for a nice, juicy campaign RTS.

Attached: 1558515429195.png (310x306, 182.04K)

>tfw when you wait out the 5 minutes just to see what happens

youtube.com/watch?v=y7Fzj1-DTXw
This video is 2 years old and it's still true.
tl;dr:
>Modern RTS games continue to try to chase E-Sports bucks to beat Starcraft 2
>As a consequence their Skirmish/Campaign modes are afterthoughts alienating a huge section of the playerbase
>Comp is fine but there's a huge majority of RTS players who don't give a fuck about ladder online and just want a nice game to play alone or casually with friends and they are ignored
>Take cues from asymmetrical single player games like They Are Billions

it honestly much more about game knowledge, being able to read situations correctly, and making sure you remember to build stuff

check out this series where a guy makes his way to master league using low apm, he calls it a challenge series but it doesn't start being a challenge until the later leagues:

youtube.com/watch?v=LaxyF0yvPwI

That's why RTS games aren't doing well. They've hit a brick all with this APM maxing idea. Failing to realize that normal people don't want to be at that level for the entirety of a match. AoE2 has seen a resurgence of players because it is a nice balance between apm, macro and strategy. You can have god-like apm but if your strategy is bad, it generally balances out.

>pic
oh no...

>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Good riddance, fuck you.

I think Ultiamte Apocalypse is a step in the right direction. I think with over-the-top tech, alternative win conditions and with a more dynamic map, RTs could come back. Right now, map design has been solved. We need maps to move or change over time, similar to maps in SC2 campaign would be an interesting addition.

kek

>the miss chances
Did they bother you that much really?

>There is not a single unique mechanic in RTS games, all the RTS genre depends on is micro. Micro is not a genre mechanic, it is a manner of playing games. There is micro in FPS games, for example.
>hurr durr its all micro
Seems like you haven't played Age of Empires 2, where scout information and adapting your strategy wins you games.

I wish UA ran better but the shit they are doing is pretty wizard already.

Why hasn't Starcraft Remastered been cracked yet?

AoE2 is the only game I know where people can play diplomacy matches in huge 8 player free for alls, where players actually talk/chat their way to victory. I know it can't be the only game with diplomacy options but it's the only one I see gameplay of on youtube that isn't just a stream of 1v1s or the occasional team match.

I was 10 when the first one came out, didn't have the patience for it. Now I'm more chill.

Attached: 1531324600965.png (945x539, 89.92K)

thanks for the video!

reinstalled generals just the other day. Why is it so good ?

What a lot of anons have touched on but not followed to the logical conclusion is the basic fact that blizzard killed the rts genre the moment they joined it with StarCraft and Warcraft.

Everything stopped being about strategy and boiled down to efficiency, micro and spreadsheet tier plans and counter plans.

Then when those games hit online and the autistic cunts who liked that type of gameplay turned it into eSports. . . The damage got worse, and eventually map makers created Dota in w3 and the damage had been done, MOBAs had been born and rts games basically died.

I fucking hate blizzard and the shit they have pushed into this world with Thier games. I wish I lived in a world where they had never come into existence to begin with.

From what I can tell AOE2 is doing pretty well, though AOE isn't my preference for RTS games. I'm more of a SupCom man for big ass games. StarCraft 2 didn't do the genre any favors either.

MOBAs didn't kill the RTS genre. It just took a lot of the casual players away because RTS games became about APM.

Don't blame ASSFAGGOTS. They never would have gotten as popular as they did if Blizzard didn't turn away the casual playerbase by encouraging APM spam and E-sports.

Ironically, once ASSFAGGOTS also got into E-sports, their numbers also started to dwindle. If you only cater to the top players, your game inevitably dies because the casuals move on.

It's not just the casuals who get driven away, esports makes things worse for anyone who wants to play games instead of watching them.

every RTS is about efficiency.
if both players do the same thing, the player who does it fastest wins.
this was before blizzard even touched RTS. people had just not figured it out.

>Hurr durr don't blame blizzard or the assfaggots.

Let's fucking face it, the only things blizzard have done within the games industry is cause fucktonnes of damage and then compounded that damage by making it popular.

StarCraft, Warcraft in both rts and mmrpg forms, overwatch, and the rest of Thier shit has fucking standardised or ruined every genre they touch.

The only "good" thing they ever made was diablo, and even then they should have stopped with diablo 2, shut down the studio and fucked of into obscurity.

Because it gave no fucks about political correctness.

Retard didn't read so I'm not going to read this trash-tier post.

Sir this is a video games board

Threads over. Zig Forums is here to ruin everything

Attached: These units cannot be converted.jpg (750x711, 104.72K)

>Playing as GLA and giving your worker a pair of shoes
>He works faster and is happy with his new pair of shoes

Attached: abe.jpg (197x248, 19.9K)

If you can't convert them then sneeze on them.

Don't mind me, I'm just going to ask you to refer to the game manual throughout the game as a way to stop piracy.

Attached: 1-7-2014-11-22-09-PM.jpg (601x399, 82.19K)

Attached: Company of Maids.jpg (2048x1228, 354.47K)

Valkyria Chronicles mod for CoH when?

Company of Heroes 1-II
No-one liked the weird direction Coh2 went.
All everyone wanted was a new CoH1.
It was literally the peak of the RTS genre, along with Total Annihilation.

You're a fucking retard like all the other retard who think QoL upgrades = bad.

China will grow larger

Make china enemy in RTS game, Got it.
What else?

desu aoe2 is extremely micro intensive to the point its kinda dumb
hope aoe4 take out that and have squad based rts

I need new shoes

>No-one liked the weird direction Coh2 went.
what do you mean?

>I need new shoes
Random crate of floating shoes, what else?

Does anyone play offworld trading company? I'm all about the daily challenge.

Paladin tanks
>We fight for freedom!

>No-one liked the weird direction Coh2 went.

wtf are you talking about? campaign? literally no one cares about that shit

City building, production.

Attached: 1587920449759.jpg (1920x1080, 1.12M)

The reason why I like RTS games like AoE2 over everything else is simply because Age of Empires feels like a TRUE strategy game and not some action game where you just spawn units and need high APM.

Games like starcraft are way to restrictive and the resource management doesn't even exist.

AoE = 4 resources, you need to balance them and actively obtain them from different points of the map. You can build anything anywhere as long as you have the resources. Maps are random and you need to explore.

APM spam garbage = brainless resource management, get one resource or two if you're lucky, no need to search for them, you have convenient expansion points for your next base, no random maps, meta is too strict and only APM spam matters.

>Paladin tanks
Like the artillery?

>resurrect
SC2 has like at least 100k players

>resources are capture points that generate resources automatically
>good

yes thats why RTS is dead as a dog
lol aoe is pretty apm intensive, people micro to dodge onager lots of time

nice bullshot
fitting for a dead genre I guess

Why do people get pissy and complain when their epic strategy of building a shit ton of turrets/towers/castles and walls gets blown the fuck out by a competent player who can click on the "create artillery units specifically made to counter this" button? If you just want to cower and hide for 45 minutes just play a tower defense game. That's clearly what you want.

I didn't say it wasn't but it's not all that matters. You need to learn resource management, juggle between 4 different resource types and learn hot keys and build olders. You can pull some stupid bullshit strategy out of your ass and win if you're good enough.

DoW3 was so bad it made me doubt relic still knows how to make a good rts game. Maybe with microsoft breathing down their neck they won't fuck it up.

>if points cut off then resources gone
it IS good faggot

>That's clearly what you want.
But they don't get AAA budgets. Or storylines.

The fact that there hasn't been a successful new moba in years might dampen relics desire to mobify their games a bit

The units are diverse and fun to play with and it FEELS good. This is down to the sounds and the visuals. Destroying a war factory with a bomb truck or a group of terrorists making it crumble into bits and you hear it all falling apart. Destroying technicals with paladin tanks and the gunner flies off while the blackened truck deteriorates into wheels in mid air. Torching quad cannons and stinger sites with dragon tanks and the guys inside are immolated rendering the defenses defenseless. Overwhelming the enemy with a group of inferno cannons to generate a firestorm. Loading up a tenement block or a casino with missile defenders to choke incoming attackers. I can think of so many more examples.

Have more rts with interesting combat like dawn of war 2?

it matters like 60% of game

Company of heroes.

RTS is a 1v1 game mostly, people want to have a scapegoat to blame for being bad - something mobas and many other games provide them with.
RTS is all about you getting good and dealing with it. Current gamers don't want that.

>lol aoe is pretty apm intensive, people micro to dodge onager lots of time
>Wasting time dodging mango shots
>Allowing your enemy a window of time to do sneaky shit

You are just dropping buzzwords that you don't understand. Being good at RTS is always about microing your units and their abilities or outmacroing the shit out of your opponent, but that doesn't work unless he's bad.

>apm
Meaning?

I always thought vehicles felt just right in Generals. GLA combat cycles, especially.

Attached: gallery_3_57_87656.jpg (618x444, 84.39K)

Actions Per Second

>mfw OST for all three factions

youtube.com/watch?v=xVJqw977S_8
youtube.com/watch?v=x530q4hlv9c
youtube.com/watch?v=OBm2mz3IHoM

Attached: glee3.jpg (349x328, 21.34K)

Yes. Focus on fighting not mining.

>Actions Per Second
>APM?

If it's down to micro it's shit. That's why I prefer turn based strategy. Sins level of micro is just perfect but then again it's 4X

I don't remember the ingame ones having monkeys.

Actions Per Minute
Would you believe me if I say I went retarded for a moment?

He means Actions Per Msecond

When I was a kid I only played US. Now I realize that the GLA is the best faction. Still, like China though

We don't. Let it die.

Actions Per Milligram

There aren’t libraries and such for pathfinding?

Everybody thinks their hot shit until 100+ paladins show up

Less APM autism and more legitimate real-time strategy.

>waah waaah waah micro this apm thisim too slow it's not fair that being able to process things and complete tasks faster gives you an advantage waah waaaaah waaah
git gud shitters

It’s actions per minute, obviously. Starcraft pros had refined their starts so that they were all in the 100s, most were up around 300 actions per minute at the start of the game which put them at the level of semi competent typists

>He doesnt know about walling in Aoe games

Hoping C&C Remastered is so gosh darn moddable is builds a massive mod community around itself

twitter.com/OfficialCnC/status/1237804141361025029

I bet you feel like a pro swapping between your workers and scout 300 times a minute on game start

Tower defense games are actually on sale on Steam right now

no i feel like a pro when i make 20 archons, a click your base then go jack off to loli and come back to a victory screen

Im pissed I bought Empire at war for 20$ 2 days ago and nows it 5 bucks . Typical fucking steam.

When are we getting Creeper World 4? That's the perfect blend of turtling and needing to push forward.
>tfw we will never get big budget Creeper World-style game with lore and voice acting and all the neat stuff

Attached: That really fluoridated my fluids.jpg (570x367, 35.1K)

Oh boy it's this thread again
>Real Time Strategy
>There is no strategy involved - just mindlessly follow the same optimal build order but try to do it faster than the opponent every single game
>OH NO WHY IS MY GENRE DEAD
>AND WHY IS EVERYONE PLAYING DOTA AND LOL INSTEAD

Attached: 1390310703664.gif (300x210, 2.87M)

Build orders and unit comp guide are no fun. I play games for the fun desu senpai

refund it you dingus

You do know cw4 has been in development for 2 years right?

Yes and last I heard still no release date.

So can you fuck off to the 4X and turn based threads? Because this is the RTS thread.

What happened to Abraxis, Aliana and the rest of the gang? Also, friendly anti creeper was neat.

Sounds more or less like a confirmation.

Steam Workshop + Mod Nexus would be amazing. From what I remember C&C was fairly easy to mod + create units too. People will be free to make mods that play at either 4K and/or Old Skool level of graphics too.

I think there are some problems with RTS. And they start right at the beginning. If you have started a game, you have started them all. You are on your own, trying to be efficient following pre-set steps, scouting a bit. The benefits or waste from scouting tare mostly RNG.
Imagine if the first 5minutes of a match in a fighting game was lifting weights efficiently before meeting your opponent.
I think the best way to avoid this would be to give players some offensive capability from the get go.

in my opinion one decent sized problem in RTS games is Symmetrical Balancing, it just makes all factions look exactly the same to casual players
Like Devs making sure Each faction/whatever in the games has the same sort of stuff but with different flavors of that shit, all it does is make each faction boring

Like I get that true Asymmetrical balancing is much, much harder to get right, but it makes the factions in the games much more memorable and appealing to the more casual players who either don't know or care about the stat differences which Makes faction A's unit 'Completely different' to Faction B's almost identical looking unit in the same role

>Tell RTSfags I don't want to play autism clicker to win
>They tell me to git gud
>Go play something else instead that has actual strategy
>"Oh no why is our genre dying :(((("
lmoa

Attached: 1348900172469.png (456x458, 302.02K)

have a good singleplayer campaign that mixes how you're gonna play in multiplayer with interesting, unique challenges that you can only do in singleplayer

Anti-creeper is still in 4.

big budgets just end up making devs become unfocused messes

im playing aoe3 right now its great

Attached: 1587345705968.png (1920x1080, 3.16M)

I get what you're saying but rush strategies exist for a reason even if everyone complains about them. You can generally fight within the first 5 minutes of the game if you know what you're doing. Unless you want to shrink even that interval and have military units right at the start you can send immediately on match start. RTS games are going to be slower than fighting games just due to their nature though, you can't avoid that.

Is it user? Is it really?

i've said it before but i think a crossover between valkyria chronicles and CoH would be awesome. it's just a shame it would appeal to literally nobody

Attached: valkyriecoh.jpg (1489x1077, 1.02M)

Are you trying to gatekeep RTS ? It's just my personal criticism which many people seem to share. Maybe you can fuck off to the autism general on /vg/

perhaps one day Amplitude Studios will bless us with a RPG. But it will not be this decade.

Attached: 1512242712003.jpg (900x900, 201.08K)

>play REAL TIME strategy
>complain that precision and skill matter

surely there are turn based strategy games that have accessibility features for quadriplegics

Personally I think the 4x genre is at the same place. Look at how inexplicably shit civ6 was.

If you took the same framework and made the game about building an empire to survive barbarian hordes instead of having to compete against shitty ai that cheats it is instantly a better game. If it needs multiplayer, make it cooperative.

Endless space gameplay is average, but the art and music is great. I could definitely see an rpg set in the endless space universe working well.

>Not Offworld Trading Company

there are certain genres that peak and simply cannot really be improved upon anymore besides small revisions of that said game, i consider the SRPG genre to be perfected with final fantasy tactics and tactics ogre, with final fantasy having the small edge, and thus everything that has come out since merely acts to fill the thirst to that new great srpg but we all know nothing will beat fft.

The same with AOE2. Finally with the definitive edition we have so many campaigns, civs etc. It has the perfect triangle balance implemented. Its still extremely popular today with tournies getting over 100k viewers and tens of individuel streamers having a good amount of streamers. The ranked mode in the new game also made for some entertaining content were pros play each other daily giving us great games all day around. Age of empires 2 was always the superior rts, not some gay starcraft or some shitty command and qonquer. aoe2 withstood the test of time and it will be the only relevant rts now and also in 10 years.

The biggest draw it that their asymmetric gameplay really is asymmetric.

Attached: 1521965542721.jpg (1920x702, 365.5K)

Customizable unit

>Amplitude Studios sound design in general

Oh god even the button presses sound so good what the fuck

Attached: ohno.jpg (481x448, 56.17K)

play zero k

Attached: 20180427122122_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.32M)

>the sanctifying click of navigating menus

Attached: 1516368997652.jpg (640x614, 41.66K)

Ugly Sup-com

By making them simpler for console ports
i.e. killing the genre

youtube.com/watch?v=szC66-weN40

Krush Kill 'N' Destroy was the best shit ever, this game was fucken magical playing as a young ass nigga

>never going to fight cthulhu monsters with my gaint robot army
damn shame that Human resources kick starter didn't succeed, look kick ass

youtube.com/watch?v=oNZ7oto4z4A

I'm hyped for Humankind but mostly because I know it will give us a plethora of new art and music.

Attached: maxresdefault-770x433.jpg (770x433, 66.59K)

Attached: Impossible_Creatures_cover.jpg (256x363, 30.2K)

We need more of it, MORE

Fuck off bucksnigger

>gatekeeping
When did telling a moron to fuck off because he's spouting bullshit become gatekeeping?

Only reason RTS multiplayer is dead is because people can't blame others when they lose. RTS micro and macro management are it's defining characteristics.
Complaining about them would be like complaining about having too many things to manage in a 4X or having pause. Won't comment on single player because big singleplayer games as a whole are down compared to 15-20 years ago.

why did it have to be historical cultures instead of fantasy cultures
it still could have worked

There was a newer RTS with customisable units. What was it?

>if you don't have autism go to thread X
>how is this gatekeeping ?
There is a reason why RTS is dead.

it was ok

That game was great.

WTB compatibility patch

Cheer up, user. It'll be a decent to good game with stellar artistic direction as always.

Alright Zig Forums here's how we fix it. You know how hero shooters are popular where everyone has to pick a role? We do that but with RTS. Eatsports now features teams of 3v3, and everyone picks a class. Military, Economy and uhh.. we'll call it Governer I guess.

Military guy only has control over military units and maybe the firing modes of defensive structures, although he can't build them. He's not about any sort of base management, his job it to be an autistic micro clicker with whatever units the Governer guy sends him. There's some macro where you can manage your units into squads/formations and give broad marching orders, but mostly this is where the Starcraft korean shines

Economy guy's job is to look for and mine resources. He has a special non combatant scout for this purpose, since he can't control anything that can fight, or at least not fight seriously. The only thing he can build are resource based structures. Mining camps, extractors, and the like. AoE2 guy that makes perfect farms and always has great eco? This is where you go.

Last guy is the Governer, and he's in charge of most of the building, base management, tech research and unit allocation. He doesn't bother with any microing at all, since as was mentioned for the Military guy, all he does is give units to other people for them to micro. His job is to keep his worker counts up and balance it with his military count. Also to make sure he doesn't get population capped by building houses/pop buildings. If a suitable expansion point is found he's the one that has to place the buildings. Comfy base builder guy? You go here.

Attached: 20150813175538-meeting-pitching-an-idea-business-technology[1].jpg (1300x867, 101.12K)

>Using my cute Shinigami to wipe a floor with an army during real time like what Selvaria does every cutscene
I'm in.

0ad is good, but that's still in alpha

i'm not the only one who wants a sequel right? it wasn't perfect but the factions and local multiplayer were fun

Attached: UAW_N_10.jpg (1028x685, 151.14K)

>Understanding nothing about a genre
>Told to fuck off
Muh autism, muh gatekeeping.

Attached: 1524117416841.gif (500x228, 1.95M)

ofcourse there are he is just stupid, ai in general is hard tho

No, it's like Seton's Clutch in supcom and I absolutely hate that idea. Even in 4X this tends to become boring quick

We hope that Age of Empires IV won't be a steaming pile of shit

aoe3 was the first rts I played. Its great but it really is dumbed down, they shouldnt of added plantations.

The logic is that if I fully wall his cav can't get me, but then the opponent sees the walls and doesn't produce cav.

Turtling up is a huge waste of resources and time, just wall your vulnerabilities so you can focus on offence, because if you put your enemy on the defence you have freedom to boom.

Turtling is for low ELO shitters.

>"This looks fun, I'll maybe try it if it becomes popular" - every potential buyer for your new multiplayer-only strategy game before it flops day 1 and goes perma-dead

tiberium wars and kanes wrath were the shit.

Please no

kane's wrath was ported to consoles and wasn't simplified one bit
but hey, mustards on their dying piece of shit platform always have the most delusional copes

Except what they copy these days is worse than doom. It isnt dead because it vastly lowered the skill ceiling to become competitive in multiplayer.

>Friend says he's good at RTS
>Play him in AOE2
>Just turtle the fuck out of my base and get a wonder victory
>My face

It took him forever just to get some siege engines going. Some people just can't deal with walls.

Attached: 1539118292926.gif (480x270, 1.11M)

This

RTS stayed the same and lost popularity. MOBAs actually filled that niche and offered more accessible multiplayer gameplay with clear distinctions in skill. If RTS developers realized that they had to change the formula as gaming become more popular RTS may still be around. The only people left playing RTS are people who were around when those were released. New people will never pick up RTS on their own. I bet most casual player don't even know about RTS.

That's why you need a big company to shill the shit out of it to fool people into thinking it's popular. Or just make the factions based on Nintendo characters, those idiots will play anything as long as it bing bing wahoos at them.

correct. make it more like anno games. then add rng to your units. like your first swordman might be fat (-speed) but tough (+health). this way people wont be able to cheese or have strict build orders.

The most fun one. And everybody expected that Red Alert 3 and Tiberium Twilight would play the same as these two. Sadly only RA3 came closest mechanically but other stuff were not needed in it (aka: ALWAYS CO-OP). We don't talk about the non-existent C&C game.

or why you make a singleplayer and co-op campaign, which would also get people who aren't necessarily interested in automatch online faggotry to play it

Isometric new Stronghold game

>It took him forever just to get some siege engines going. Some people just can't deal with walls.
It's not walls, it's having to think and react. if the meta build order was siege engines, he'd be doing that even while you cavalry kite him to death.

I got filtered by online multiplayer on CoH2

Good guys wear white

it would be easier to resurrect my dog

That doesn't mean RTS are bad, it just means they didn't adapt to the mass casualization of the players. Also nowadays unless a game makes millions of sales it's considered a flop, regardless how much actual profit it made.
People judge games by how popular they are rather than how good it is.

>teams of 3v3, and everyone picks a class
A non-retarded version of this was world in conflict. Air player had helos infantry has infantry tanks had amored vehicles and support had AA or artillery.
Very fun, if it got a remaster it would get thousands of players.
Wargame also allows you to specialize your deck, so if you're playing the flank in a 3v3 you might want to get an airborne deck to get in position first.
Although most people would call both games RTT rather than RTS, but I think it's an unnecessary distinction

Don't, it will only end in tears!

Attached: You can't go back.jpg (640x466, 45.6K)

Lmao of all the things that aoe3 did wrong, you choose to complain about plantations?

Ok ok

Warhammer 40k
But in CoH1 rules and destruction

DoW2 is an abortion child and DoW3 is a revenant of said fetus so they don't count

Dow2 is good, what are you babblimg about?

Both dow1 and 2 are decent games with a decent playerbase
Although dow1 crashes every other game you play

coh 1's setting is better than warhams anyway though so what's the point

how long till relic puts out DoW1 remastered, they must sense the money

Convince Warner Bros. to work together with EA to make a BFME 3/BFME remake.

remakefags please kys. stop asking people to ruin the things we like

>stacking technology research is absolutely retarded and removed all skill from the game

Literally has no effect on matches between competent players, because you don't want to pay for things before you have to.

Just make dow4 and pretend 3 never happened.

Why Zig Forums is so bad at videogames?

Soulstorm has a good amount of players but its unplayable because it's almost guaranteed a guy will crash during loading if a multiplayer game.
A remaster would make the game playable again. I'd pay 20 euros for an all-in-one dow game with all the campaigns, functioning mp, and maybe some hd textures

I'd pay 20 euros for them to not do it

You can't stop progress forever user

progress is making new original things

First time I heard it I thought he said "Good guys are white" which amused me greatly.
20 years later and I'm a colossal racist. This is a cautionary tale.

Fuck RTS, I just want more base builder games. All the ones out there are crap

>metafags
The biggest cancer killing multiplayer RTS. Good luck competing with anyone unless you build THESE SPECIFIC UNITS in THIS SPECIFIC ORDER so that every match devolves into the exact same game just with different skin.

so archon mode from legacy of the void?

RTS can't achieve the sales numbers that publishers demand because ultimately they're not very fun. I mean RTS are anti-fun, really, they're stressful and confounding to play.
RTS can only be revived on a small scale by autists who enjoy RTS; people who ultimately don't care about how little money there is in it and won't complain when they don't make millions of sales.

>NOOOO YOU CAN'T USE THE MOST EFFECTIVE STRATEGY!!!!
Blame the game not the player

you get confounded huh

Attached: 1574480179681.jpg (640x480, 48.61K)

Play frostpunk then, it's pretty cozy.

>I'd pay 20 euros for an all-in-one dow game with all the campaigns, functioning mp, and maybe some hd textures
I would pay $100 for functional pathfinding.

It's TRUE. Nobody quotes the USA on that game because they were fucking boring. Generals' humour is what gave it such a great personality, couple that with solid gameplay and a good engine, and there you go.

>I WANT BASEBUILDING!!
>okay here's a base building game
>NOO THAT'S BORING I WANT TO FIGHT TOO
>okay here's a tower defense game
>NOOOO THAT'S TOO SIMPLE I WANT TO BUILD BUILDINGS AND WORKERS AND FIGHT
>okay here's a fucking RTS game then
>THEY KEEP KILLING MY BASE I WANT BASE BUILDING

Attached: steamin.jpg (243x233, 36.58K)

Just don't play IG lmao

It's fine as it is.
AoE2 and Starcraft got good remasters and are in healthy places.

Reforged was a dud sadly.

Every now and then there are new rts that comes out, which can be interestng.
Offworld Trading Company, War for the Overworld are two I liked in the last decade.

what happened?

Stronghold was the perfect balance of base building and RTS.

for what possible reason would you ever play a faction other than IG

Iron harvest seems like it could be cool

>it's not all that matters.
It's not all that matters in broodwar either.

i got you senpai.
>dont buy into the e sports hype.
>add more basebuilding gameplay, akin to the anno series. Have product chains that matter.
Make the gameplay macro focused and not micro shit like starcraft.
How to do this:
>units do not have abilities, if they do, they are used automatically by the ai.
>factions have abilities, like AoM or CnC tib wars
>turning speeds and slow movement
>units are semirandomized. your rifleman might be a good shot but frail, having higher range but less health. this disrupts optimization and build orders.

more general tips:
>have humanoid units. Many modern rts have the "hovercract" style units, this is souless. Nobody remembers units from grey goo or ashes of singularity
>add minor factions. a 1v1 game would have 1-2 of them. you can either trade with them, or conquer them and have them help you.
>they wont be a full playable faction, just basic buildings and units.

ooh, that could be interesting just because of the aesthetic. Dieselpunk is dope.

To burn guardsmen with phosphor grenades
I mained SoBs and fighting IG always made my day

Attached: 1569384133219.jpg (327x656, 39.38K)

pretty much. the only thing that will keep everyone happy is 2000s battle net warcraft 3 and starcraft custom maps. I don't think we'll ever have something like that again though.

>its been 8 years
youtube.com/watch?v=VIt6FqL8JQo

Last line should have been "I hate rts games" and your image should have been muriel from courage. You were on the cusp of greatness.

>units are semirandomized. your rifleman might be a good shot but frail, having higher range but less health. this disrupts optimization and build orders.
I agree with all of it except this. This is just going to force crazy micro where you have to sort your riflemen into control groups based on their stats on the fly instead of just double clicking unit type and sending them on their way.

Clone world in conflict for guaranteed sales, 80s nostalgia pandering and flashy, satisfying but not too punishing gameplay

This is the worst fucking take I've ever read.
end yourself

>hey i need constant fighting
>economy make brain hurt
The intelligent player should enjoy every aspect, not just two men swinging swords at each other.

>Love WC2
>hate WC3
whats wrong with me?

You like speed, when fights are quick and decisive.
Maybe the visceral deaths in the 2d style of wc2 appeals to you more.

Autism

Make it more friendly for microtransactions.
This was literally the reason why it died in the first place.
Big game pubs didn't knew how to monetise them. Some tried but, it always threw the games irreparably off balance so they stopped bothering with it all together and declared it dead.

Ban all asians from playing them online. Require genetic tests, plus ID to create an account to keep the multiplayer community alive.

>I want to play an RTS that isn't just microshit like starcraft
>Here you go
>What you can dodge mangonel shots? this is just microshit.
I hate you guys.

alternatively: git gud roundeye

the way modern graphics are utilised nowadays makes all rts games look the same. the fixed isometric camera angle is also an important part to the feel of many classic rts games.
you can improve on the original graphics by adding more detail, scaling things better, adding more frames in the movement of the units and of effects like fire and explosions but that slightly hand drawn/pixelated look and isometric view is integral to many rts games like command and conquer and AOE imo.

Attached: Alienship_CCTS_Game1.png (468x436, 183.25K)

These thread reminded me why I stopped coming to RTS threads. Zig Forums wants extremely casualized RTS games that require minimal input completely stripping away the execution part of the game. Which is fundamental in the Real Time Strategy genre.

They only thing keeping alive an RTS is the passionate part of the community, the competitive people. The games should cater to them.

RoL was unfinished though.
The last campaign was just standard scenario after standard scenario and there is an entire 4th faction hidden in the map editor.

you're too fucking stupid to breathe

Unfinished doesn't mean that it's bad.
If a good game's unfinished that just means it could have been even better

I will never understand the difference between CoH 1 and 2. I enjoyed the first game and managed to beat the campaign, but there was something weird about 2 I just couldn't put my finger on.

Chinks are the most notorious cheaters too. They're the worst thing for any online game.

What people really mean is, I want an RTS that doesn't make it so obvious that I'm that much inferior to the opposing players.
Which is impossible for a popular rts, unless you're ignorant of the scene.

I didn't say it's bad.
It has the potential of becoming it's own IP.
Too bad, Brian Reynolds is wasting his talents at Zynga.

it is the pre-game commander selection
while COH1 the element of surprise is there
the rest remain pretty much the same
allied = strong early game
axis = strong veteran unit

i think a war between heaven and hell would be better. different angels and demons, saints and sinners fighting eachother. the aesthetics should be based on renaissance depictions of these two elements but with enough deviation to make it a bit more contemporary and original. but yeah as that guy said it would probably work better as a non rts game if you want to fully evolve a story and all the themes that come with such a subject

Doesn't the Chinese government actually "promote" cheating as a way to get ahead in life or something? They only screw over cheaters who get caught.

>I mained SoBs
so are you gay then or what

Gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

i cant remember the last time someone built a plantation in a 1v1

t.gaycron player that's mad i just memed his generators and his slow ass warriors can't catch my seraphims

Attached: W40K sister repentia.jpg (675x1050, 73.52K)

agreed

Would you play a rts game with these factions?

Attached: mundus carnis faction designs.png (5540x1297, 3.45M)

implying I'd ever not play ig

When will the devs add autoplay?

you just described western nations

You really don't have to be that much inferior to be absolutly obliterated. Lanchester square law meas that even slight inbalance in power will tip the scales greatly in favor of stronger player.

twitching your fingers like a retard isnt 'execution'

Is this a photo of that fag who went to North Sentinel Island to try and convert the tribes to Christianity and got killed for his efforts?

Attached: image.jpg (1200x900, 113.49K)

looks like you ingested a bunch of 40k codexes and made a .png of what came out the other end

Do I have to remind you what happened with Dawn of War 3? AoE4 and CoH3 are going to be trash, you better accept it right now
Kek
I love how ads like this and C&C Generals got away with all sort of irriverent stuff some years ago

yes that's a photo, that's how people look in real life.
if you even left your room you'd know

It already does, and rts is ded as a genre. You already have games that have more or less perfected this type of game which is why I think newer games should evolve into something else.

I've been a 40k nerd since I was a wee lad, so yeah, it has been an inspiration certainly.

>all I want out of a RTS is a good campaign and a solid skirmish mode
>all everyone ever wants is fucking PVP

Attached: 1587932742729.png (480x360, 213.58K)

Rent free

My dream RTS game would just be one like Brood War but even more depth so there's endless strategies you can use but it's never gonna happen

Too bloated. There are constant references to a city yet the factions look like they come from different planets.

The only time I ever play multiplayer RTS these days is when I'm doing a comp-stomp with my bois.

They're my second favorite desu, probably a top 3 faction in general.
if only I could play the fucking game without half the lobby crashing during the loading screen

Attached: SOB.jpg (1000x1500, 455.79K)

Will he ever be defeated in a major tournament?

Attached: biper.jpg (512x512, 55.16K)

>twitching your fingers like a retard isnt 'execution'
how come i never see this cope in fighter or fps genres?

but Zig Forums told me there was an rts renaissance brewing last year

I want to like Sins Of A Solar Empire and I'm sure it's good, but without a campaign mode I really can't be bothered to play it.

What the fuck I remember downloading the alpha for it like 7 years ago. This game will never come out.

>I just want to turtle against the braindead AI xdd
why are you people so fucking gay?
video GAMES
not video TOYS

Encourages map control and you can spend more time making tactical maneuvers with the unmatched combat system, especially with the bk mod. It means you can easily cut other players resources off if they are not diligent in their defense. Additionally setting up supply lines fits far better with ww2 thematically than spamming villagers to mob resource nodes. Also we all know german players would spend more time making a giant concentration camp with that system.

ok enough is enough fuckers. How THE FUCK do I get into strategy games? Never played one, only one I own is total war shogun 2 since it's free on steam. I wanna get into it bc it seems cool but also it seems really intimidating, and unlike other games where you can learn most of the stuff by just playing, this game looks like you have to google shit in order to figure stuff out. Tips?

why is he banned from youtube

>I refuse to play

Perfectly sums up the RTS """""player"""""base

You are the reason your genre died

AOE2 DE is going great.

There's a /v guild. I check 1v1 ELO from time to time to make sure I'm at the top, though that's not saying much.

>watch high end play
>player 2 concedes before the two minute mark because he misclicked a single gatherer

The city is gigantic and biotech makes it possible for there to be quite wide ranging morphologies.

Attached: mundus carnis map.jpg (1920x1297, 2.1M)

Once you figure out an AI everything becomes boring. It's ok to learn the game but AI are always trash

who's the big tiddy weird gal?

He got an offer to stream at mixer and he took it.

Fuck off. Singleplayer RTS always were garbage, nobody wants that shit.

>LITERALLY just East Asia
Nigger is this a joke? Fucking kill yourself if you actually think this isn't fucking trash.

Is this your OC donut steele setting?

I don't think he is. He's on mixer now, makes sense I guess since he only plays one game and microsoft publish it.

Total war is a rts/4x hybrid. Combat is just a bit more complicated rock/paper/scissors. You can pause/slow down combat.

hes been streaming on mixer for a while now and uploading the vods to youtube, what changed? he's only been banned for a day

>this thread
>actually PLAYING games
>implying

>gatekeeping
>bad
You people.

I fucking hate Ubisoft.

Didn't that happen awhile ago?
Seems really dumb for YT to ban him right as the tournament starts

those designs are not good at all user sorry. really hate the high-heel foot look. they look pretty uninspired and generic, like ive seen this all before.
better than anything i could ever come up with for sure but nothing special to be honest.
thats just me though, others might like it.
but i think you should try and improve the designs, try to draw inspiration some slightly more obscure places or less sci-fi sources

Not a clue about the recent developments. I just know he went to mixer because of a deal he got.

Already finished it. I need more!

Pretty sure he's talking about the grind and gating of content behind generals.
It's surprising how good a game CoH2 is once you install the mod that just eliminates the general system entirely and adds all the units as buildable options to your base buildings. Instantly makes the factions feel less content-starved, gives you more freedom and adaptability instead of limiting you to a handful of perks, and makes the game feel much, much closer to CoH1. Loved CoH1 and I despised the second one vehemently until a friend talked me into giving it a second chance by trying the mod.

How gigantic? Is that a map of the whole world or just part of it? You also put in a lot of mountains that imply high geological and plate tectonics activity.

>LITERALLY just East Asia
That's because it is.

>Fucking kill yourself if you actually think this isn't fucking trash.
Needlessly rude.

Yes.

Thanks for the input. I am still trying to hone down the "core" aesthetic of each faction to better differentiate them from one another.

>RTS is so stale, devs should try something new
>Dev tries something new
>NOT MUH AOE/BROODWAR FUCK OF WITH THIS SHIT
Every single time

The known world.
There is also a scale measurement.
The "mountains" aren't necessarily made out of stone and shit tho.

It's genuinely amazing to me that we've had 20 years of innovation and experimentation that's all failed. AoE2 was always the pinnacle of the RTS genre.

I think the most I have learned about AoE 2 is from pro matches, then trying out some of that stuff and seeing if it works for me.

A huge mistake imo is that you made all of them biotech. If only one faction can make that tech why would they share it?

ok NIGGER, listen to me:
there's only THREE game that i can advice for a new player to get into:
>WARGAME RED DRAGON:
It's a RTT (no base management) mostly about strategy rather than microing, to play it you need to wait or make lobby for noobs only and it takes a while, but it's satisfying and not too taxing if you don't know how to micro
>COH2:
Slightly P2W but simple and fun.
3v3s, or 4v4 can have people carry you while you learn the meta, you can spectate better players from the main menu to learn and there's plenty of community resources to get better but the community in general is garbage because too divided between axis and allies
>AOE2 DE:
Lots of players so it's easy to find noobs.
Noobs games are about turtling until 1 h and then smashing armies together until one win.
it's a classic villagers creation sim + unit creation sim.
You'll need to learn a lot of strategy to beat good players but most people aren't good, the skirmish AI is good enough to train you for a while.
>GENERAL TIPS:
Learn what hotkeys are
Learn what Control groups are
Learn the cheesiest strats of each game and how to counter them.
Everyone that beats you is either a cheater or a smurf
If it's a team game your teammates never pulled their weight
Play all factions so that you learn the weaknesses and strengths of each one
develop gamesense.

Attached: b1fcaaeb4f7a6a4a561bdb7be85ae527.png (374x586, 250.46K)

Shogun 2 is not a great place to start with total war because of realm divide desu, I would start with rome or medieval 2 personally.

Generally, I would give these a go

Command and conquer generals/3
Stronghold crusader
Lotr battle for middle earth 1 and 2 (it's free now)
Age of empires, and the various offshoots
Dawn of war dark crusade
Warhammer mark of chaos
Warcraft 3
Company if heroes
Men of war assault squad and the various offshoots depending on what historical periods you like
Ancestors legacy is also pretty beginner friendly but for whatever reason doesn't really tickle the pickle for me.

Pretty much all of these are easy enough to get into

The whole point of the setting is that it is based around biotech. The various factions all derive from the same source, splinters of a biotech empire that crumpled.

Oh yeah also Total war is about cheesing the AI in battle or having the upper hand in the campaign map so you don't have to cheese the AI in battle.
i love it but it ain't a great starting point for strategy games

No. There is no pinnacle in the RTS genre. But there are different great examples of what it can be at its peak like AoE2, Warcraft 3, Dawn of War, even Supreme Commander

Not gonna lie, it's pretty great conquering the galaxy by broadcasting advent fetish porn at the jews and lizards.
On the scale it's on, if you have even an ounce of creativity there's a lot of emergent storytelling in the average game.

>those idiots will play anything as long as it bing bing wahoos at them.
Sorry but no, I'm sorry if that contradicts your narrative.

apslet detected. learn to multiplayer fag

>Around six losses from dropping
They should really fix this shit.

Looks pretty dang good, but I could see it underperforming with only two factions.

>I have never played an RTS in my life

it's not really something you can learn you either grew up with RTS games or you didn't

>Lotr battle for middle earth 1 and 2 (it's free now)
Where?

I lost one of my first AoE 2 HD matches against some dude that walled early game and managed to hold a large part of the map's gold mines because I turtled even more in response
It was pretty much a retarded counter on my side, at least that had me learning how to properly use siege against massed units. Onagers are fucking based if you know how to use them I wish I knew how to use Scorpions tho

Attached: 1526492745060.jpg (183x183, 9.74K)

So all you RTS fans are watching the redbull aoe2 tournament right?

Forshire blogspot :)

>Watching people play vidya.
ISHYGDDT

Scorpions always looks such a waste of money. Even when pros use them they are very underwhelming.

>can go play aoe2 with 20k+ people right now
>can go play sc with probably 2k+ people right now
>hell, can even go play sc2 with god knows how much because people are still playing it
>"NOOOOO RTS IS DEAD"

thanks fuckers

Fatslob? His one map turtling may be boring, but the guy is still legit in his zeal. Singlehandedly revived AOE2 for past 2 years.

Np faggot

>Company of Heroes
This was the only RTS I ever got into.

Less units means gameplay is less about precise box drawing and rebinding hotgroup keys every 30 seconds.

Bound the tactical map button to my side mouse button and I could manage multiple capture point harassments.

You and me bro. They used to make decent games, but the bigger they became the greedier they also became. That and stupid bullshit with barebones content, the open-world koolaid and sticking to Far Cry, AssCreed, raping the corpse of Tom Clancy and much more.
If they only stopped masturbating to these things and for once did a Heroes game. That and took example from 2K that is finally seeing that making good AA games seems to be still worth doing.

in any rts game as long as you continuously produce workers and spend your resources, you will be better than 95% of the community

Scorpions are good against infantry, decent against archers but are best used defensively.

Don't make too many of them and they must ALWAYS be protected by some unit unless you're behind walls with em.

I fully believe that DoW 3 was shit because of executive meddling rather than bad decisions on Relics part.

huh????????

>Total war is about cheesing the AI in battle or having the upper hand in the campaign map so you don't have to cheese the AI in battle.
Sun Tzu would be proud

Man, I warned you last time.
I know designs take time to adjust, but you're not going to win many people over with them and a text box. Nothing turns people away faster than a bunch of big old text boxes along with an original section.
Maybe have a smaller scale map, with cutaways to individual units. Shows you their locations as well as what they look like.
And as always, then Chads and Virgins remain the best.

No, it was a random unranked match against some spanish dude
>executive meddling
Then who the fuck even came up with the idea of making that game more MOBA than RTS? If you're developing a game with your own idea you stick to that one and keep outside meddling at bay

Good point. I kinda want to make some quick and easy info picture for this setting so I won't have to either spam multiple pictures, or loads and loads of text.

Just play black forest, they're one of the best units on that map.

locking content behind grind/payment is lame as fuck, but having to choose what units/tech you unlock in a match, and limiting the "arsenal" is not inherently bad design

>Sun Tzu would be proud
>"When the autobalance bar is lots of yellow, click autoresolve, this will allow you to take fortresses without too many losses, but if the bar isn't yellow enough bring artillery and spend 30 minutes bombarding the defenders that just stand there."
>"Remember that peasants with spear in a spear wall will beat most enemies in the early game so spam peasants with spears until you've got the economy to just pump out big armies that autoresolve battles"
>"Always remember that your enemy is retarded and will charge their general hatamoto into anti-cavalry units"
The art of war was such a fun read

DoW2 Elite is actually good. Sorry you're bad.

AoE2 barbasrossa campaign is pushing my shit in rn

Because the suits didn't know shit about video games, only that at some point assfaggots were really popular and wanted their game to be popular as well.

>DoW2 Elite
>a mod
lol

I remember that taking me fucking ages to beat as a kid.

too good, it split the playerbase and now there's very few people playing both versions

Don't sweat it, even the best player in the world struggles with the AoE2 campaigns.

>replaying all the Age2 DE campaigns chronologically right now
>got hundreds of hours with only a couple online matches

Attached: Jimmy-Barnes-Scream-671x377.png (671x377, 260.22K)

I'm kind of willing to try dow 2. I have a game and an expansion, but I see there's a standalone I don't have. should I be playing that instead?

>Needlessly rude.
Literally just plagiarizing real life is pathetic and shows how creatively bankrupt and untalented you are
Kill yourself

>If you're developing a game with your own idea you stick to that one and keep outside meddling at bay
Ideal in theory, but let's look at it from the other direction.
Games Workshop wants to get into the MOBA market because they're retarded enough to think it's something easy to do, despite already having Nark Nexus Arena fail horribly.
What they need is a name to bring people in, more than just 40K. So, they go to their big studio people who literally CANNOT RELEASE A GAME without their say-so because GW is draconian with their IP, and is known to just pull the rights from studios.
So if Relic making DoW3, GW has them by the balls. GW doesn't know anything about video games, but they do know that this MOBA will work, especially if it has a big name behind it.
Also add Knight-scale combat. Those make for great model sales, and bring back Gorguts; people love him.

Nigger, the setting takes place on far future earth.

>c&c generals remake
>company of heroes 3

Attached: 11917616169.jpg (604x604, 92.44K)

Too complicated. Why not play a single map and scenario over and over? Why even control more than one unit at a time? Why bother with base building?

The brilliance of MOBA is in that it strips all this cognitive load, and relegates all strategy into teamplay, thus reducing the scope into a vastly constrained universe from individual perspective, yet keeping the aggregate meta/strategic gameplay reasonably rich.

RTS never died, it's just that normies overran the genre with paradigms that are more approachable and streamlined. Same thing that happened to FPS frankly (compare overwatch vs Q3A CTF).

But even MOBA is becoming ripe, and soon to be ready for plucking, just like C&C was back in the day when Starcraft killed it. Some return to individual strategy play is to be expected when somebody figures a way to combine it with lessons from MOBA (heavy focus on fixed roles in teamplay, kills are resources etc), but getting rid of the boring stench (*throws dildo on t he wall* think infinitely sprawling procedurally generated map where teams just join in/out and form ever shifting alliances with others).

Spacefishpeople Mafiaboss
Trader faction

Retribution is the one you want for multiplayer, dow1 & 2 have the better campaigns, the last standalone is a standalone version of retribution's last stand mode which is a fun pve mode that is very fun with friends

Yea i see AI as being the biggest barrier for RTS games right now. Once processing power allows for higher level AI, RTS will be reborn.

GW have gone in the opposite direction recently it seems. They greenlight 20 new games a month in every possible genre from studios no one has ever heard of these days.

Completely right. RTS needs to end the build tree formula

>Why not play a single map and scenario over and over? Why even control more than one unit at a time? Why bother with base building?
Because it's fun, nigger.

>Then who the fuck even came up with the idea of making that game more MOBA than RTS?

First off, you're retarded and have no idea has businesses operate

Secondly, at the time of development and release, MOBAs were hot shit. So Sega prob forced Relic to make DoW3 into one (maybe pressured by GW) like said, for that sweet, sweet MOBA cash

QOL BAD

>Once processing power allows for higher level AI, RTS will be reborn.
Aoe2 DE has a great AI on a decently complex game, simpler games like coh that have awful AI are just the result of devs not giving a shit

God forbid you come up with SOMETHING original you untalented subhuman

Play wargame then nigger.
You niggers seriously need to stop suggesting the genre should worsen itself to pander to pve babies

You shit on C&C as well for featuring an alternative version of Earth instead of something "totally original".

>AoE4
>AoE1,2,3 DE
its not dead, it's just not as big as lets say FPS our moba, but it never was, you wanna know a genre that is truly dead? arena shooters

Don't listen to overly negative nigger anons, user.
Your setting is cool but we'd appreciate you doing something with it other than spamming concept art is every other RTS thread

Yeah, the AI in DE is pretty decent. It can play the meta and it's obviously good at harassing you with mirco.

I'm trying to work on it.
I dunno why I feel the urge to share it. Maybe I am just sorta narcissistic or something, but by my lonesome, with no people with whom to talk about it, I have hard time motivating myself.

>you wanna know a genre that is truly dead? arena shooters
This is what console players truly believes

People playing elite wouldnt even be playing the garbage base game if Elite didn't exist.

Stop being mad nobody wants to play the base game with you.

I love RTS's but I get why they are hard for a lot of people to get into which I chalk up to them just being hard to control. I think RTS's could be a lot more popular if good touchscreen controls were figured out.

>tfw we'll probably never have a giant touchscreen table to play RTS on.
youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI

Attached: 1583977293416.gif (400x316, 979.09K)

Most recent title i can think of is quake champions and it's very low pop already

I just want a city builder with warfare but on a massive scale.

Basically just image rise of nations / anno/civ but the world is fucking huge like massive and you build your cities from ancient age to space age and the game is incredibly slow paced (in terms of age progression) but is fast in warfare, expansion and gameplay so your essissentially playing a city builder except the is a bunch of other players building cities and armies and stuff and you can rather be friends or kill each other or other diplo stuff. ALSO its real time the are resources and plrenty to fight over sell. they would be plagues and stuff and maybe you can genocide a players city because they are infected with the plague and stuff.

tge warfare has to bee good that is key since all city builders with combat has shit combat

PIC RELATED

Attached: Untitled.png (3738x1700, 160.81K)

>I dunno why I feel the urge to share it
Well NIGGER, obviously it's because
Humans take pride in their accomplishments and you like to discuss your work because you're passionate about it

Before RUSE came out my friends would play the demo non-stop and it's all they would talk about. Then the actual game was released and they played it for maybe one hour each before dropping it completely.

This. It would be amazing

>kill tech trees
Can't do. Cost analysis in tech trees are (at least) a quarter of every strategy simulator. However the systems can be implemented in far more creative ways compared to stale Dune2 dogmas. The simplest and more natural - cost tiers - you can buy anything anytime, you can't just afford the higher tiers as a pleb. This is *much* harder to pull off balance-wise compared to Dune2 style trees though.

If you wan't to see RTS with insanely creative elements, look up Baldies (and there are few other DOS experiments like this). Games like these never caught on, because back in the 90s, whatever didn't conform to Warcraft/C&C style was outright unmarketable.

>Stop being mad nobody wants to play the base game with you.
?
I'm only stating that both versions have a sub-20 playerbase, which is unplayable by most RTS standards

For me, have a strong single player campaign and some solid unit variety would be just about all I would need. Those both together are super rare though.

Command and Conquer was over 20 years ago faggot.
And it's set on Earth because the premise is an alternate actual history, not ripping off the most generic fantasy shit ever then putting it on Earth with all the names changed because you're a talentless retard.

>plagiarizing real life
What a retarded fucking thing to say

Attached: index.jpg (352x550, 30K)

Sure, yeah. I just read his comment and that didn’t seem right to me, that game devs are sitting around fucking with pathfinding algorithms

by making a good RTS with no lootbox shit.

what happened

>I could actually use my brain and come up with an original idea
>or I could just rip off everything and Xerox my world map coloring book
Please improve the gene pool by following your leader bleachdrinker trumptard

dude RUSE sucks.
>Let's have a wargame-tier scale
>But units control like slower C&C units
>with a very simple rock paper scissor counter system
>And the ruses are mostly relegated to economy speed-ups
That game is utter trash

>COH2? wow plagiarizing WW2 much? it even has two in the title! Why don't you come up with an original setting!
kek