Why are PS1 graphics still charming but N64 graphics look like shit

Why are PS1 graphics still charming but N64 graphics look like shit

Attached: 64.jpg (522x239, 13.96K)

Depends what you grew up with I guess.

It's the opposite for me. N64 games still look great and PS1 games look like a garbled mess of pixels.

PS1 discs had larger space, so higher quality textures were able to be used.
N64 textures had to be smaller and were blurred

sort of this. played both when those were new and both look fine to me

n64 games always look better emulated with texture scaling because it had real polygons instead of the psx's weird 2d shape/3d shading trick

desu in this era i was an idort. i really appreciate both graphics styles. psx is crisp and the wobbly perspective correction is very much like the base texture of canvas on a painting. it is imperfection and perfection at once. the fact that the hardware wasn't capable of true 3d and yet could throw together gorgeous, spacious scenes makes its graphical limitations more like a medium than limitations.

n64 is realist and yet at the same time flawed in its own unique ways. always had the higher framerate, more complex physics, and smoother animations, but the games didn't feel as alive because the muted textures, simpler sound design, and sterile polygons made it feel like you were in some foggy dream world instead of playing a video game. the actual fog didn't help either. it also isn't much different in graphical style to 3dfx/voodoo rendered games so its output just doesn't have the same aesthetic homeliness. everything just looks like a pc running quake 2 in opengl mode but with like 4 mb of vram.

Attached: 1537950256533.gif (404x365, 280.39K)

Because you're playing them on an emulator that doesn't represent the original hardware at all.

Objectively false, lol. Those discs were used for top quality sound, music, cutscenes, maps etc. N64 has better texture filtering, capacity etc. but PS1 was the most charming anyway. You can't make Silent Hill as creepy as in PS1 on an N64.

Saturn looked better than either.

Attached: virtua cop2.webm (640x480, 3M)

Play both on og and tell me with a straight face that the ps1 looks better than the n64.

The best games on both consoles still look great, but the baseline for N64 was arguably shittier while a lot of PS1 games could fall back on unfiltered 2D.

Only in 2D games. 3D games were nearly always worse on the Saturn as demonstrated by ports like Tomb Raider.

Depends on the genre. Saturn wasn't good at doing detailed polygonal environments but with VDP2 it could do shit totally impossible to pull off on PSX.

Attached: 480.webm (480x360, 3M)

>that gif

those windows were never animated

I miss lightgun games

Why do I do it? Not sure, some say its a curse. But I know its my duty. Every day there out there, people, some going about their lives as if theyre perfectly normal, but deep down its not true. Deep down they have a dark secret, a dark past. These people played on the N64. They enjoyed children's games as children. They have fond memories of these events. How? Dont they see its wrong? Dont the see the superiority of the mature and deep titles for other consoles? Why would someone enjoy Zelda when they could have played Final Fantasy 7 on the PSX? Who could go on as normal knowing they played Goldeneye when they could have played Siphon Filter? What suffering these people must feel! How can I save them? Can they be saved? Im not sure. But I know I have to try. Every day I post. I post hard. I wont let people obsess over the N64, I wont let them be manchildren. They have to be shown the truth. To obsess over a console from 30 years ago for even a moment would be a moment of precious life wasted for them, and I wont have it. People need to know the truth. I wont stop until no one is left who remembers the N64 fondly. They need to know the truth, and I will be the one to show them. So manchildren, its time to see the facts and stop obsessing over the N64.

you got that backwards

Most N64 models didn't use textures at all relying on vertex colors. So when 3D tools and techniques for UV mapping and creating material textures got better later PS1 games benefited greatly. The difference between FF7 and FF9/Vagrant Story 3D models for example is a huge improvement.

PS1 graphics aren't charming, they look like absolute dogshit. Their alfine texture warping ruined any chance of ps1 games ever looking better than anything on N64. I'll take blurry graphics that are at least stable and solid, over that swimmy mess that is ps1. I can't even play a ps1 game without PGXP.

I mean, Capcom managed to fit all of RE2 into a single N64 cartridge and despite the limitations it worked out alright. Who's to say Konami couldn't have made a version of Silent Hill that worked on N64 that was just as freaky as on the PS1?
Reminder
>The biggest filesize for any commercial N64 game was 64MB
>Both discs of RE2 add up to a total of 1.31GB
>Silent Hill is only 587MB

VDP2 was only good for flat backgrounds, which made it extremely limited in usefulness. Fighting games, rail shooters, isometric RPGs etc.
If you ever wanted a free moving camera - or hell even just a ground with some geometry instead of a flat plane - the Saturn lost out.
Play Daytona and see how much use VDP2 is.

Daytona is just a really shitty, rushed port. A port so bad 25 years later its legacy STILL haunts the Saturn.

Attached: rally1.webm (640x480, 3M)

Daytona got multiple additional releases on Saturn that were graphically improved. Both it and Sega Rally were still technical disappointments compared to comparable releases on the Playstation like Ridge Racer and its sequels.
>A port so bad 25 years later its legacy STILL haunts the Saturn.
I'd give that honour to Virtua Fighter, although that game was improved much more by its later release.

>Virtua Fighter
Was pretty much just a straight port of the arcade with light clipping issues (severely diminished in the US/EU releases). Journos were just triggered it didn't have fancy textured polygons.

Attached: 1567555213835.png (2062x984, 136.94K)

The original was bad enough that they had to give away the fixed version.
At least that time they remembered to use VDP2.

Because PS1 was the console you owned.
I had the N64 and think the PS1 looks like absolute ass.

Ok.

Attached: psx.gif (500x448, 2.65M)

It's literally not even bad, it looks almost identical to the arcade version and the gameplay came home 100% intact. I'd even argue the shitty Daytona port was salvaged by its great gameplay.

Attached: crash.webm (640x480, 2.99M)

its really hard to say because a lot of ps1 games looks really bad and n64 games too, but i think the n64 have a little advantage

>I'd even argue the shitty Daytona port was salvaged by its great gameplay.
I kinda agree, but we're talking about games on their technical merits here. Nearly any of Sega's arcade racing classics are more fun to play than the original Ridge Racer but back in 1995 that was the game that set the graphical standard for home conversions.

why are you still making these threads after all there weeks?

way to prove that post

They all look charming. We all are gen five soul brothers.

ok.

Attached: 1514960408313.jpg (2553x960, 651.18K)

Because console wars are our culture, and how dare you question that.

>posts an emulator screenshot
I'm leaving this thread, have a nice day

the ps1 pic was from an emulator too. cope.

Attached: Quake 64_Mar31 19_47_13.jpg (640x480, 61.08K)

more polygons don't mean shit if your cartridge hardly has enough space for a bunch of other shit
like the presentation of ps1 games in general are superior from the memory space on the disk alone

>PS1
It's called PSX you retarded zoomers.

that was his point retard

Attached: n2lPCcx[1].gif (1024x1024, 958.6K)

Emulators have a lot more to add to PS1 games than N64 games. More accurate vertices, perspective correct textures, texture filtering... n64 games had all that shit already.

The N64 emulator is shit.

>emulator screenshot matters if it's n64
>if it's psx it doesn't
also hi again user.

only cringe boomers start fights over pointless hair splitting like this

Dude. THE N64 EMULATOR IS FUCKING SHIT.

i believe his point was you can't compare consoles using emulator screenshots you absolute retard

I have an n64 and a CRT two feet away from me, it looks like that IRL too. cope.

the n64 suffered from blurry vaseline textures and powerpoint framerates. every game looked muddy and awful even at the time. meanwhile, ps1 graphics were crisp and colorful, and their flaws (like affine texture warping) just look appropriately "gamey."

Take a picture right now.

64 also had obscene memory and texture restrictions as well as extreme memory latency. The textures had to be small otherwise you couldn't fit enough of them, and they were going to be blurry because it's the n64.

Ps1 games just look cleaner and have better, higher resolution art. Textures are basically pixel art.

haha this nigga so mad. get laid, incel

Shitposting about Nintendo is how the kids try to fit in nowadays.

Powerslave has more geometric detail and better lighting on saturn. Most devs didn't put in the effort to get the most out of the saturn.

Both look like shit compared to what they could because 2D is better.

So any poly is shit to begin with but low poly is even worse.

What now you fucking moron?

Attached: okay.jpg (1092x1348, 410.03K)

>/vr/ on an LCD
yikes!

It really looks awful. Even Saturn looks better.

Not me.

Attached: image0 (2).jpg (2885x2164, 2.79M)

>Even Saturn looks better.
Hahaha, no.

Attached: Quake Saturn nice enemies.webm (640x480, 2.84M)

imagine selling a flaw such as terrible wobbling and warping as a feature
N64 being "blurry" is because of bilinear filtering. PS doesnt look sharp, but blocky, its because filtering is nearest neighbor.
If you use an emulator that eliminates the wobbling the textures dont lose their charm, the game just straight up looks better

OH GOD IM GONNA VROOM

>bombs on C-right

Attached: Quake N64 same section.webm (640x480, 2.9M)

does look much better than , yes.

Attached: image0 (4).jpg (3065x2299, 2.86M)

>Can't aford UltraHDMI

Yikes!!!

Lmfao.

Normally this would be a matter of opinion, however you're just objectively wrong. Look at this ugly piece of shit.

Attached: Quake Saturn level 2 intro.webm (640x480, 2.92M)

It doesn't matter for the N64 since it's filled with Racing games.

>imagine selling a flaw such as terrible wobbling and warping as a feature
i'll take that over muddy vaseline textures any day of the week. literally soul vs. soulless.

>PS1 graphics still charming
what?

>I'll take objectively worse rendering because I love le retro pixels XD
Yeah, you and every other numale.

>wanting to upscale your N64 games in the first place

>not knowing 4k is a perfect integer scale of 240p

Yikes!

You just proved his point. Good job.

I happen to own the Saturn version too, it is overall much more faithful to the original software Quake's aesthetic. Also it has the original OST.

Attached: quake.png (320x240, 35.45K)