The katana is the best melee weapon in any game, hands down...

The katana is the best melee weapon in any game, hands down. How are Yuropoor "broadswords" even gonna compete against superior Nippon steel?

Attached: folded 1000 times.gif (400x225, 1.87M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w_3W1zg683A
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsujigiri
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How are Yuropoor "broadswords" even gonna compete against superior Nippon steel?
By slicing those gay katanas in 2. Japs can't even develop the muscles to hold a European longsword. Those swords are made for Chads only

I'm more of a flail guy

They weigh pretty much the same.

bastard swords and claymores have better aesthetic than a glorified saber

>Japanese steel
Katanas are unironically the way they are because the steel was just that bad.

Attached: __artoria_pendragon_and_artoria_pendragon_fate_and_1_more_drawn_by_shirokuma_a__6452d61a1c1e2cdefe70427b6dc3bcc4.jpg (1181x1748, 276.41K)

But are about 8 inches shorter on average while being the same weight. This is not a good thing.

>virgin katana
>chad sabre

>dogshit steel
>heavy for its size
>no good point for stabbing
>no crossguard
>no pommel
>no springsteel, has a tendency to bend
>blade is fat despite being a cutting weapon
>can’t grip the blade effectively for armored opponents
>somehow superior to western swords
Katanafags are idiots.

Attached: image.jpg (168x249, 20.86K)

Based

>Katanafags

Attached: Dexfags.webm (800x444, 2.76M)

Halberdchads ww@?

>european-inspired fantasy world
>there's a token katana or two
Pure cringe.

Attached: 1521610163015.jpg (1280x720, 154.8K)

Hal and berdpilled.

Attached: 0e5c65c7-3aa8-4e8e-9aae-9c437d5a08fa.jpg (281x500, 23.86K)

>Be Zweilanderfag
>Raid English villages for centuries because of superior reach.
>Cut through practically all forms of armor due to superior weight.
>Outmaneuver fencers die to superior weight and form.
>Literally shatter anything that isnt a broadsword into pieces due to superior steel.

I’m more of a pollaxe man, but halberdbros are cool.

Attached: image.jpg (800x600, 181.27K)

I don’t give a shit what people say, the yamato is cool.

Attached: 36885AED-F667-4125-AB62-5BAC568CF54F.png (972x2048, 1.81M)

Japanese metal was so impure and terrible that they had to fold it several times to purify it

the whole reason the katana exists is because japans metal was so horrible and thats why the katana had to be a precision weapon because the folding would thin the metal

the broadsword is so many times better and is not forced to be a precision weapon out of shitty metal it will always be the most practical weapon in its own right

reminder that if japan got good metal then they would use broadswords and would've been able to fight things other than themselves

also quick reminder that these swords couldnt cut very solid thing like other metals or else they would shatter

Yeah the katana was a massive achievement in metal working specifically because it was so fucking hard to get an actual sword out of Jap steel. They had to sift it out of sand for Christ's sake. Beautiful product for how limited their resources were, and a rare, expensive symbol of office for the caste allowed to carry them. They weren't something you'd see floating around that often compared to edged weapons in Europe, which were still expensive to the common man but didn't have the religious reverence associated with them to nearly the same degree.

MAIM KILL BURN

Attached: Chainaxe.jpg (654x228, 22.8K)

Why do you guys reply seriously to such obvious bait? It is honestly cringeworthy to see you guys explain for the 100th time why actual swords are better than katanas to some guy who's obviously taking the piss

Attached: 1577103207589.png (876x468, 778.5K)

I don't think I've ever seen a great katana player in Dark Souls. I can't speak for two or three because I was only active in PvP in the first one, but it really seemed to be the weeb's choice and actual dangerous dex players would be using the buffed swag sword or...anything else, really.

there is a chance this is real

This is your brain on anime and pop-culture.

Attached: 1549330856833.png (506x862, 332.58K)

unholy fucking based

Attached: damzrk9-b876fa19-d36e-44ab-a30e-cfcdd9a3e105.jpg (1583x1080, 1.51M)

what if katanas were made out of good european steel?

just use a saber lol

seiba*

I hate trannies and have watched a billion anime.
Explain that one punkster.

Attached: 1487011790230.png (1920x1090, 1.62M)

They'd make a better sword design instead. Katana's are an elegant solution to a problem. If you solve that problem you don't need the design anymore.

too thin to make a difference
plus a katana was made only for Japanese steel

They'd be a waste of material.

As said and would imply. They are not good swords and their form is a result of the tradeoffs made to get a "functioning" sword out of the lowgrade steel.Just use a saber if you want a single edge. But we all know polearms are where it's at.

Attached: __artoria_pendragon_emiya_shirou_and_artoria_pendragon_fate_and_2_more_drawn_by_fateline_alpha__3530dc793bfea9a5c90e8a64d770a3f6.jpg (1071x1516, 479.99K)

It would snap because longswords are massive and made for resisting hits

This is all irrelevant the true weapon of chads is the axe
>requires far less steel, meaning you can arm more men
>exceptionally easy to use and kill with, heavy top end makes it effortless to crack skulls
>can be double sided with an attachment for anti armor
>also great for chopping trees for comfy fires

Weren't samurai primarily archers/riflemen anyway?

Attached: 0f2.gif (506x283, 3.43M)

They primarily cut down random peasants because of micropenis syndrome.

Spears, polearms and halberds were more common, more effective and far more versatile than swords and katanas combined.

You all swallowed the hollywood pill.

>also great for chopping trees for comfy fires

If your blacksmith caught you using his battle axe for wood-chopping he'd crack your bloody skull.

Childhood is liking swords, adulthood is knowing polearms/halberds are the real weapon of men.

I just get really sad whenever I see a character from Fate

>he didnt bring his own whet stone
Fuck off Magnus you should have brought your own

One funny thing I found out recently is there were efforts to train swords men to deal with polearms, but the response was just to give the peasants a little training to counter the training and it wasn't a big deal because they were just handing them a weapon with no training in the first place. So the anti-pole training quickly fell out of favor and many swords just became side arms for when you couldn't use your polearm.

Attached: 002_001_64056433.jpg (720x1041, 122.03K)

2007 called.

you know fantasy exists outside of movies right

>what is Kriegsmesser

The katana is literally a sidearm for killing peasants. The only good sword is the gladius.

Imagine being this fucking proud of being new.

Attached: 1572880002189.png (228x260, 115.86K)

Shut up Tolkien Beowulf was better.

what was that one about the king with the special
fairy sword?

*snipes you*

Attached: 129034810278934.webm (1280x720, 1.76M)

with strength you can break the pole of the polearm with a sword. key term STRENGTH
its usually wooden with a slight bit of metal on it
if its metal then good luck
also if the pole arm is just 10 percent something that can hurt you cant you block a hit from the side and use that to run across the pole and stab someone with your sword

youtu.be/w_3W1zg683A

A swing from a spear will shatter ribs though some plate armor. The entire thing will hurt you.

>watched a billion anime.
Name them

>chop trees and firewood with your battle axe
>camp gets attacked
>left with shitty battle axe
That's why you bring utility axes with you. Weapon maintenance is a long process, especially if you stump your blade with fucking wood over and over.

This

Attached: 10923417890234.webm (640x360, 2.8M)

I just want to see her be happy

what plate armor cause that sounds bullshit spears are made of wood and metal at the end
and still cant you block it

>also great for chopping trees
Axe as intended for weaponry was made to cut flesh, and as such was fairly thin. A thin axe is terrible for cutting wood. There’s a reason a wood axe head is thick and more wedge shaped than weapon axes.

Plate armor is designed to dissipate impacts and it can't do that at many of the places a swing from a spear or god forbid a lance would hit and that's 8 feet minimum of wood hitting less than 1/8 inch of steel.

What about an axe?

Yes those are the superior war weapons.
But pointy stick is still for faggolas, the sword has always and forever will be a status symbol and the weapon if gentlemen. I still love Halberds and Polearms, but I love swords even more.

I prefer spears but you guys are alright

And spearmen. But they did carry katana as secondary weapons, for self-defense, and as status symbols. There were also greatswords and polearms fitted with blades, both of which made in a similar style to a katana but for different roles. The latter was considered very effective against cavalry.

And yet here you are saying
>lol just run around the spear
When they not only had a backup sidearm, but also would just get stabbed easy because you don’t just run around a spear user. This isn’t fucking Dark Souls

I like that they actually depict the soldiers fighting in a line here. Most movies just have battles devolving into one on one melees, which is fucking retarded.

I can't see the katana as anything more than house decoration or something gay samurai wore to attract man. It just has that style over substance factor that ritual swords in general have, it's not a real weapon.

I like fantasy shit but that shit always pisses me off.

Why are japanese polearms so based?

the plate armor is not 8 feet though so its only taking impact of 2 feet max also armor should be thicker hell some armor was 3 mm thick that is 1.2 inches and it was considered plate

It's definitely a real weapon, just one that stagnated after falling out of use. It's not very useful in battle against an armored opponent, but still very useful as a tool of self-defense against unarmored enemies outside of rigid battlefield formations, and much more portable than a spear.

if you were to dodge the spear and then to a thrusting attack towards them then they would not be able to bull out a secondary weapon in ti
but also that depends on if they use a spear or a short pokey thing still bullshit

Swinging a spear will give you no advantage over swinging a sword on plate. And neither will result in any serious injury when aimed at a breastplate.
Also lances were never swung the fuck are you on about? They're far too heavy to be swung around.

Musashi preferred a bokken.
>but still very useful as a tool of self-defense against unarmored enemies
Wow, just like any other weapon?

>Swinging a spear will give you no advantage over swinging a sword on plate
Have you ever heard about levers, user?

>Also lances were never swung the fuck are you on about?
He could've punctuated it better, but he wasn't implying that they were.

>Wow, just like any other weapon?
Exactly.

Wow, I didn't know Zig Forums is full of sword experts.

Attached: 1508277147680.webm (480x360, 772.99K)

>Musashi preferred a bokken
Absolute bullshit, he preferred to fight with two actual swords.

Pretty much, the katana stuck around for when you need to kill some peasants
Samurai would go around and murder a random dude if they got a new sword to test it

>if you were to dodge the spear
That’s a big leap, spears are more nimble than you give them credit for. Many practitioners of medieval martial arts have tested the shit out of sword vs spear and 9 times out of 10 the spear wins easily.

>with strength you can break the pole of the polearm with a sword
You virtually can't. You can deal some considerable damage to it but 1-to-0ing a spear shaft in a single fight is utterly unrealistic - you'll have problems breaking it even if it's completely fixed, let alone when it's held by human's hands.

Nah that was only against multiple enemies at the same time which he rarely fought at all. In real 1 on 1 duels he always used a self made wood sword.

Yes, a common technique when practicing pollaxe fighting since it would give the head enough momentum to fatally injure an opponent. But the heavy (armour piercing) head of a pollaxe and the wooden shaft of a spear cannot be compared at all. On the head you could probably knock someone out with enough force, but keep in mind plate armour is made out of hardened steel which is harder than fucking granite. If I told you you could knock someone wearing granite armour out through a swing on the chestpiece (where the armour is the thickest) you'd call me crazy and rightfully so. Your odds are even worse against plate armour.

Not to mention that your sword will be absolutely fucked from trying to cut through wood. Even landsnekts had problems actually cutting spears, they just settled for parrying with their greatswords. Anyone who says
>lol just cut off the spear head
doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

This was not as widespread or accepted as clickbait "TOP TEN reasons why..." Youtube videos would have you believe.

Celtics used a similar technique hundreds of years earlier than the Japanese. They also stopped using it hundreds of years before the Japanese started. That's the effect of finding good metal.

Explain why the phenomenon has its own dedicated word in Japanese then

user, it doesn't need to crack the armor, it just needs to put enough energy into the armor to injure the person inside of it, this was the whole damn point of blunt weaponry and this is all pointless anyway, you can just jam the head into the gaps of the armor much like someone who's half swording is.

Samurai fucked each other more in the ass than actually used katanas in battles. I would have more pride about my country starting WW1 and WW2 than actually feeling any pride of my country's history with samurai faggots.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsujigiri

its wood... a sword can crush and snap metal in half while taking little damage itself while it is harder for a sword to do it what about a aforementioned katana. a precision weapon that can slice things in half

Attached: image.jpg (225x225, 19.68K)

Same reason we have words like "matricide." Because it happened. The existence of a word for something doesn't imply that it was the norm.

I've read The Book of Five Rings, and nowhere does it mention that. Instead, he keeps going on and on about "if you have two swords, fight with two swords".

So provide some sauce, nigger.

Scimitars > rest

say whatever you want about goatfuckers but they do make the best blades in the world
maybe thats why they still act like barbarians and keep cutting people heads off to this day
it would be a waste of such fine blades not to cut people's head's