Why are there so many teenagers that act like depression and anxiety are quirky personality traits...

Why are there so many teenagers that act like depression and anxiety are quirky personality traits. Websites like tumblr glorify self harm and suicide like its something to be played around with while people that have genuinely given up on life stay in the corners of society because even the one thing that seperates them from the masses is being nullified by zoomers. I take a theatre class at my college and 90% of the students there talk all this shit about "i have rubber bands to stimulate myself so i dont self harm" "im having an anxiety attack right now guys everyone stop talking" and "i need to call my mom to pick me up, school is giving me anxiety right now".

They have to be over reacting right? This cant be real, am i the bad guy or is this behavior a product of parents giving their kids whatever they want whenever they want it?

Attached: l-40524-fake-depressed-teenagers-after-watching-a-sad-bart-simpson-edit.jpg (700x652, 25.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mgbMmMNHIZo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Their Gen X anxiety med parents taught them to be scared of everything. Dont feed the homeless guy, Dont clock out for work early, etc. So in their logic Fear and Depression = Franchise
right or no

It's the current fad, just like women posting on Twitter about how they're oh so mentally ill and that sort of thing.

It's definitely fad-tier at this point. But at the same time I kinda wish it was like this when I was a teenager because then maybe I could have gotten help for my problems. But also cringe. So all in all it's a double edged sword.

music has changed. first they were singing party rock anthem if they went to a party, now they are screaming "all my friends are dead, push me to the edge". depression has become an aesthetic which a lot of people use to identify themselves, which is like the worst thing you can do.

>have to be over reacting right? This cant be real, am i the bad guy or is this behavior a product of parents giving their kids whatever they want whenever they want it?
Yep. That's exactly it. Is what your parents told u or did u come up with this on your own?

Why is it the worst thing u can do?

>Yep. That's exactly it. Is what your parents told u or did u come up with this on your own?

Rest assured knowing not a single person understood what that sentence meant

because you are using a mental illness as a character trait

This. People want the glamorized aesthetic of depression but I can tell you 99% have mundane normie problems that are fixable and none of them want to look like washed-out NEETs with unwashed hair, massive dark circles under their bloodshot eyes, and skinnyfat bodies.

Isolation and the fact nobody's fucking important anymore are going to hurt the next generation. There's no motivation to do anything when you can't make an impact. Can't even count on college to get you forward because it's a cul-de-sac now too. I feel bad for these kids. What's there to look forward to?

they see other people getting special treatment and attention when they say they have anxiety/depression so they start saying they have it to get special treatment and attention. Then they glorify it and romanticize it like its this wonderful thing. Its attention seeking behavior.

Kids have a lot more to worry about than previous generations, so it's warranted at least to some degree. I won't deny it's being used as a crutch for some as they might have much personality otherwise, but I'm not interested in looking at cherry-picked examples to illustrate a "trend" either.
I have had an anxiety attack before, I was barely able to talk. So your second anecdote sounds awfully polite for someone who's been marked with the feeling of imminent death.
I'm not sure I see the risk. Mental health professionals are still able to give accurate advice to those who need it. Maybe this is just a byproduct of a generation being more open and in touch with emotions: more unwarranted whiners.

Attached: menhera.png (1263x867, 775.16K)

I don't think anyone tries to use anxiety as a personality trait. No one thinks it's cool to not be able to eat in public and talk retarded and get scared.

Attached: 1537017066246.jpg (295x322, 46.3K)

only valid answer to this sincerely

I promise you they do, I've seen it in person

most of the people that glamorize mental illness like this are upper class white kids, the kind whose parents pay for everything, their food, their housing, their college, etc for as long as they want. since they don't have any real problems in their lives, they have to constantly talk about their "crippling mental illnesses" all day to show off how hard their lives are. basically the struggle olympics.
they exaggerate all their emotions x100 to make it seem like they can fit into a bunch of diagnoses. for example, if they get stressed one day, they have anxiety and panic disorder. if they have a bad day, they say they have depression. it's infuriating for people who have these problems for real. it can be difficult to tell how people really feel but 95% of the time it's obvious these zoomers are just making it up for attention. it pisses me off seeing normalfags post on social media saying stuff like "lol I wanna die xD" even though it's clear they have no idea how crushing it feels to actually be suicidal.

anyone who has a small circle of 15 close friends instead of 50 suffers from social anxiety actually

My parents used to take my shit or hit me, so I used to act really edgy only around them, to piss them off.

They're voguish depressives.

>Theodore Million: Personality Disorders in Modern Times

>As a mix of the depressive and histrionic or narcissistic patterns, the voguish depressive sees suffering as something noble. Both Schneider (1923/1950) and Kraepelin (1921) found that certain depressives display vanity and voguishness. This subtype asserts that only those gifted with special sensitivities have the capacity to feel withsuch depth and self-consciousness. By making pain the subject of contemplation, they find a philosophical refuge that affords them a status other depressives lack. Some display an aesthetic preoccupation, a way of dressing and living that gives stature to their unhappy moods. Using fashionable language and reading avant-garde authors, they create a perception of acute suffering and awareness that draws attention and evokes admiration from others. Popular modes of disenchantment are adopted as a means of attracting the interest of a certain fringe element for whom alienation from the main-stream is always the recurrent theme. If Evan were to develop a fascination with existentialism and wax philosophically about the futility of life, he would take on characteristics of this subtype.

You know what sucks? Being an upper class white kid who legitimately has a mental illness. The pretenders don't understand or welcome you, because they're just pretending and don't want to see the real shit, and everyone else believes you're one of the pretenders.

they do, they just don't know what it's really like
>Kids have a lot more to worry about than previous generations
for the most part that just means they stay with there parents longer

yeah like I said you can never tell for certain what's going on in people's heads. but with the people who are just romanticizing it, it's generally a pretty safe guess that they're pretending

>Kids have a lot more to worry about than previous generations
Imagine believing this
Holy shit

more worries than boomers/gen x/millenials had growing up (anyone before that obviously not since life was all around more difficult back then and lots of kids didn't make it to adulthood)
before kids were plugged into the internet 24/7 they could live blissfully unaware of the world around them until they started to grow up. but now they're witnessing all the evils in the world right from their devices. not to mention the fact that society is much more unstable than it's been in the past decades.

> people that have genuinely given up on life stay in the corners of society because even the one thing that seperates them from the masses is being nullified by zoomers
I'm afraid you're the one attention whoring here if your problem is that zoomers stole your spotlight.

I feel depression and anxiety are too accepted, it makes people not try to better themselves. They just talk about chemical imbalances and lie to their therapist.

Anyone who would genuinely post about their illnesses or insecurities on any kind of social media is doing it for attention and pity points. I've also noticed "introvert" being the new buzz word. Shitty stupid memes about having to stay inside turn into "LMAO I'm an introvert so I was already inside. " Being an " introvert" is the new "I just wanna watch TV and eat pizza" even though reclusiveness has nothing to do with introversion.

punk made suicide cool ages ago. black flag, suicidal tendencies... so it's not the idea of depression being a theme in music, I think there's a difference in attitude. before, it was lashing out in anger and trying to fight against it, or poking fun at depression. now, it's a pissing contest - mainly because it comes from the whole rap thing of trying to be braggadocious.

It's the cultural zeitgeist for sure, although the question is what caused it. Also, what does
>"i have rubber bands to stimulate myself so i dont self harm"
mean?

its an epidemic. its become socially acceptable to be """""depressed"""""

youtube.com/watch?v=mgbMmMNHIZo

Attached: 1453065879692.gif (320x213, 1.3M)

0kay boomer