Be in Masters program

>be in Masters program
>quarter of the cohort is international students from China
>get put into a pair with one for a video presentation we have to make
>work together to draft script for video
>my part is perfect, hers is all fucked up because ESL
>no big deal, I spend some extra time going through her part of the google doc and cleaning it up
>next day
>she asks me why I changed the script
>told her I just made the grammar sound more fluent
>she gets offended, tells me I didn't have a right to discuss
>tell her that her script sounded like a Chinese girl wrote it
>get in trouble

Who was in the wrong here? I was just trying to help

pic unrelated

Attached: 1330924225462.jpg (3380x2514, 1.24M)

>Who was in the wrong here?
You for not telling her you were going to proofread her part. Would you have been okay with her changing your part without you asking?

It would have been polite to ask first.

It would have been polite for her to stay in china.

Basically, you're both retards.

I didn't change the structure, I would just change it to sound coherent for fuck sake.

fuck off

You were in the wrong here. In an academic setting you will from time to time be forced to work together with people you feel are less competent than you in some way but the fact remains that they are there on the basis of their own work just as you are.

You can't just change someone's work without discussing it with them beforehand. What you did was disrespectful and completely unprofessional.

Depends how much trouble. I think you could have navigated the situation better but nothing inherently wrong with correcting grammar mistakes.

It doesn't matter. It's wrong to change a partner's work without consulting them first, regardless of how small the change is.

Attached: gettyimages-1052356432-2048x2048.jpg (2048x1408, 1.27M)

I do this all the time on group projects, fix people's grammar and make sentences flow better and the like. I can't stand turning in something that looks like it was written by a middle schooler, and I actually wan't decent grades. Never had anyone complain.

What if the partner had said no, and left the work in a bad state? user would take a hit on his grade just because he happened to be assigned an incompetent and uncooperative partner.

This

You should have discussed it first.

You were completely in the wrong. It takes 0 effort to ask her if she wants you to help her with making the language better first.

Because it makes you look like a massive autistic prick, suggest the edits and let them do what they want

Probably not, you can always explain what happened

You did the moment you edited the paper you changed the tone and phrasing which can change how it is interpreted. She may not understand that, but you should and you just dicked around with it without asking. Someone like me would never work in groups at all. Prevents dumb shit like this from happening.

What if your revisions aren't as good as you think they are and you made everything worse?

t. has never met an actual uni professor

>What if the partner had said no, and left the work in a bad state?
But thats not what happened to OP so why does this hypothetical scenario matter?
For the record, I have never had a partner refuse someone else doing their work, but if a partner did say no, I would just tell them I was going to clean it up anyways.

I work for the university of connecticut shit for brains. I'm teaching classes online

>they are there on the basis of their own work just as you are
Let's be honest. The girl is there to fill a gender diversity quota.

Yes, but that's just a risk that applies to any group project. Sometimes you get good partners and sometimes you get leftovers.

If OP's only issue was her grammar then the responsible course of action would be to ask her politely if he could change it. Even if she had said no, most professors are smart enough to tell the difference between a Chinese student's fractured English and a native English speaker, and will grade accordingly.

Let's be even more honest: You have no idea whether that is true or not.

Basically this. Almost like a lot of you haven't been to uni or something.

You, obviously.
If something bothers you about the work of your fellow students, just speak up. Say that it's not good enough for you. Demand a rewrite, but offer doing it yourself. That way she saves face, doesn't need to do any extra work and you get the assignment up to your standards.

One of the key aspects when working with people is to always give them a way to save face if they make a mistake, and if you of equal standing, save them any extra work. Also, obviously to respect and appreciate their time and effort. You didn't do any of that.

it warms my heart to know we are entering the probably literally the worst depression in history and that Op will be fucked forever because of this

Attached: sample_32d412708452bbfb9d15847cdc7e0932.jpg (850x653, 82.39K)

sorry op, you were in the wrong. your intentions were good but next time ask first. its the same logic as just grabbing a random persons wheelchair and pushing him uphill without saying anything to him. ask first

thought this was gonna be a story about banging a qt azn but instead its about op sperging

also to add on to this, you fucked up a 2nd time with your comeback, saying something that could be construed as racism even if you think its true. so you fucked up 2x, both without malicious intent, you are just a sperg and you should learn from this and think before speaking

they have to come here to study, there aren't enough americans with the intelligence and discipline to fill critical fields

Was she hot?
orgami

you obviously havent been to uni. most scholarships and deans list award winners are chinese, simply due to their massive numbers

and what if the partner said yes, and you avoid a potential conflict? thats the whole point of asking. you are retarded.

They take it more seriously m8 that's why

i know, i just wanted to shit on that user who was talking out his ass

Totally agree with this poster. Usually I volunteer right at the start to be the proofreader/editor for the final draft so there's an understanding in place.

But yeah if you send me PowerPoint slides that have broken grammar or look like shit, I'm going to fix it and call it a favor.