Hey, I'm a freshman in college and my parents are making me major in a subject I can't stand...

Hey, I'm a freshman in college and my parents are making me major in a subject I can't stand. They're going to disown me if I don't major in this. I'll feel so embarrassed going to college on my own when all my friends have a lot of help. What do Zig Forums? Image attached not intentionally related to question.

Attached: 1588347496292.jpg (480x443, 31.55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mastersportal.com/articles/441/what-can-i-become-if-i-study-a-bachelors-degree-in-asian-studies.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you have two options.

1. an hero
2. an hero

How did you get that get?

Get a job to have your own money. You can lie you go to school but by a year you'll be bretty stable.

Or go back home while you can and be a complete shithead to them. They are a bunch of faggots for making you do this. You can get a job in your town or something it would be much easier financially and you'll put your parents in your place. You can also apply for some apprenticeships too.

*Their place

>

Appreciate the help you are receiving. Do it for them. You can switch paths later if you want and they won’t hold it against you. Don’t think of it as wasted time. Have fun while you do it. You will be much happier in the future than if you rebel and have the disappointment from them forever over it. It will be held over your head in arguments forever.

How can you apply yourself fully if you're not doing it for yourself?

What are they making you major in? What do you want to change it to

>pi-pi-pi-piano
>ki-ki-ki-ki-kiss
>to-to-to-to-tongue
and it was a yuri

Attached: 1541273174581.jpg (768x1024, 282.84K)

Mean

Are those really 2 options though?

I don't like those options.

LOL

Those would be arguments I win though, right?

I was thinking about that, but how fast is the traffic on that board?

You never said what you are majoring. Half of school is socializing. Just get passing grades. Appease your parents. They will be there to help you for the rest of your life. 2-4 years is not a lot to ask. You will be happy you did. You don’t have to love it, just be selfless and get through it. Most people are selfish these days. It will be a good choice to tough it out.

They are making me major in a STEM field, but I want to do a soft science.

your parents are based

Update at

I'll make more money doing what I want.

What would that be

asian language studies

there's lots of professions you can pursue in the soft sciences. your parents are just stuck in rat race mentality and don't realize there's an entire world of things you can do for a living that doesn't involve multinational corporations.
well sounds pretty fucking fringe but doesn't mean you'll be unemployed or poor necessarily.

Most of the time, the first 1-2 years, you'll be taking general studies courses that are required for any degree, so it's not like your major even matters.

Sure, you might take a sightly harder math class or science class than a liberal studies tract, but if you change your major by your Junior year, pretty much all of your freshman and sophomore coursework would still count for your general studies requirements.

Simple thing to do is go to school, and just get your bearings your first year. The classes you take that first year are almost never specific to your major, or if they are, it's not difficult to pick ones that can easily work for a the STEM major they want and the major you want.

Key thing is to meet with an academic advisor and explain to them that you want to pick classes that can work in both majors whenever possible. There might come a time later in your sophomore year or going into your Junior year where you have to really pick one or the other, but by then you'll really know if it's something you want to do and will have half your schooling done, so could conceivably pay your way through the other half and go it alone if needed.

Also, your parents are being practical and you're being kind of dumb, imo. The STEM degree probably leads to ample well paying jobs while there are tons of bartenders and wait staff with degrees in "soft sciences."

Unless you plan on being a student forever: getting a master's, PhD, teaching at University, or teaching English to chinks in Corona land, you will unlikely make more than your typical public school teacher with a degree like that.

I know plenty of people who studies applied linguistics and second language acquisition, and while both fields are fascinating and extremely rigorous/technical, nearly all of them are either stressed out GA's up to their eyeballs in academic journals and papers to grade while working on their thesis/dissertation, or teaching language in some shit hole for little more than a public school teacher makes in the states (though there are some lucrative jobs in China... If you don't mind the nationalistic zeal and corona-chan).

Seriously, though. What jobs and what kind of income can you make with the degree you want to pursue? Maybe I'm ignorant, so in genuinely curious how you think you can make more with that degree than you could now just getting some bullshit job without wasting time and money on a college degree that's not marketable??

I hope you're doing it because you enjoy the science/art of language and not because you got a fascination with their culture. Had a friend major in Japanese because she loved the culture, anime, traveling, and thought it would be cool. Ten years later she is one class short of getting her BS and likely will never finish. She visited Japan during her studies, was a complete weeb, and thought that she'd get some high-paying translating job. In reality, unless she was the top percentile, she was only ever going to translate for the local tourism industry at a modest middle class salary.

But that was her. Your reasons and ambitions are your own, as will be your successes and failures. Be prepared to live with and take ownership of whatever you choose.

mastersportal.com/articles/441/what-can-i-become-if-i-study-a-bachelors-degree-in-asian-studies.html

Unless you are fluently bilingual, translator and foreign correspondent stuff is extremely unlikely. Analyst as well requires near native-like fluency. Not impossible, but there is more competition than you might realize, especially because many of the other applicants will be native speakers of whatever Asian language and will have a very high proficiency with English, if not near native proficiency.

That leaves the financial side of things, or marketing, both which likely require you to take some business electives as part of your bachelor's degree and then complete a master's in business, which is two more years of schooling after you complete your 4 year degree.

Then, you'll likely have to apply for an internship where you'll make a basic stipend, after which you might be offered a job that will likely pay well.

Several STEM degrees offer good paying jobs and flexibility with just a bachelor's degree, but do your own research and good luck in whatever you decide.

Who is paying for college, you or them?

Not op

I, OP, am not actually majoring in Asian Language Studies. There appears to be many LARPers in this thread.

Professor or activist or entrepreneur or lawyer or consultant or HR representative or ... and so on.