Comfy RPG thread

About halfway through DQ 11 and it's so fucking good. What's the comfiest town in an RPG?

Attached: 1588291500.jpg (600x338, 213.02K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qeA4vQFQhr4
youtu.be/2aSm3-huz-c
youtu.be/01hlTBxM6cA
youtube.com/watch?v=QCZDx0dlDws
youtube.com/watch?v=iTYnay4WYTI
youtube.com/watch?v=9w0GRuskvAU
youtube.com/watch?v=bOVVcTllqZE
youtube.com/watch?v=qQE2a9bZ88o
youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9run547bE&
youtube.com/watch?v=_6F4Fbfxc2g
youtube.com/watch?v=0or3glcLbCE
youtube.com/watch?v=duAZw5dHlhk
youtube.com/watch?v=gq2xoIMlzqs
youtube.com/watch?v=h4OQDvRBKcE
youtube.com/watch?v=QOsO9o_WaRs
youtube.com/watch?v=yG-BIMPtC9k
youtube.com/watch?v=fjYOLafERaw
youtube.com/watch?v=9X0qkdYe0DM
youtube.com/watch?v=yG2DcrGKTFs
youtube.com/watch?v=rRaw48C4sNc
youtube.com/watch?v=oRi8AsB8BP0
youtube.com/watch?v=vzcGNxKdtYQ&t=8s
youtube.com/watch?v=2S0jYrlOGx8
youtube.com/watch?v=hh6J1pp2cqA
youtube.com/watch?v=HBsR3-wg1yg
youtube.com/watch?v=Cdppk3_HhNs
youtube.com/watch?v=_h41T80eDVI
youtube.com/watch?v=PeCVZ1B8Gto
youtube.com/watch?v=DJqcwGwU8a8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyH_-iyA-6w
youtube.com/watch?v=RUOo7cB2dpk
youtube.com/watch?v=flkcRoku3xA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1BEcALLX0
youtube.com/watch?v=qCKEXPXtrEU
youtube.com/watch?v=i4mjzLZkG44
youtube.com/watch?v=2RXh4SIEQxg
youtube.com/watch?v=yTM6pTxhhxQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3H9NzyepEEc
youtube.com/watch?v=t0Tsqjq025M
youtube.com/watch?v=erU86ZT8z4I
invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=HgzGnJjk3to)
youtube.com/watch?v=fr1uU9iKRZk
youtube.com/watch?v=oNywPvGlQPA
youtube.com/watch?v=mn4Zx4sL4dY
youtube.com/watch?v=ytrJ7-KfRcc
youtube.com/watch?v=7szYj5qfymQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6xso147geIs
youtube.com/watch?v=1eU0tRBHnE0
youtube.com/watch?v=xqRgc8VTN20
youtube.com/watch?v=5AQovAlPkTM
store.steampowered.com/app/1189630/Path_Of_Wuxia/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5WiJtleQs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know about town, but Oblivion was pretty comfy, Skyrim too maybe.

Attached: 1587082437965.png (500x610, 112.78K)

Legram....home....
youtube.com/watch?v=qeA4vQFQhr4

Attached: legram.jpg (700x394, 149.59K)

Should I get Romancing Saga 2 or 3?

I liked 3 and got bored of 2 but I'm a casual

>try to find pictures of breath of the wild cities
>they all look like muddled shit
maybe this game was garbage and Zig Forums wasn't being contrarian

Attached: 927d5f492d9301fa138556d7c6a180f7.jpg (965x720, 96.88K)

It's like they turned the gamma too high, game is ugly unless you play it on cemu.

Budehuc Castle with all 104 characters recruited

Attached: Budehuc.jpg (500x404, 148.16K)

Your castle in Suikoden 2. Watching it grow as you get more people is maximum comfy.

My money is on Argentum from XB2
Between the fantastic music, being the starting area and being this nice, self-contained floating port town populated with mascot creatures and having kind of cute, small versions of an air-port, farms, schools, hotels and inns, residential quarters and merchant quarters, it feels like the kind of place where you could hang out for a couple of days and relax during a layover
youtu.be/2aSm3-huz-c

Attached: argentum.jpg (979x595, 107.07K)

Looks like a really bad unity 3d game from 2013

Chorrol is comfiest town

I love the look of Xenoblade 1 & 2's worlds but holy fuck the gameplay and story just suck for me I can't get into it. The towns are really unique though.

Attached: 31lHg3X.png (608x512, 161.63K)

It's hard to beat Cassardis for comf.

Attached: Cassardis3.jpg (1920x1080, 513.9K)

based

Doubled based.

youtu.be/01hlTBxM6cA

DQXI delivers what it promises which isn't bad, but is not good either.

I loved bravil cause it was always raining.

I've never played one before so it's kinda nice to play a jrpg that's just simple and fun. I really like the world, most of the party members, combat/skills tree. My only real complaints so far are the music being repetitive.

Ni No Kuni is pretty fun. I wish you could get monsters in your party like the first one.

What is the absolute comfiest time setting for a rpg?

But there's just.. nothing. There's no personality, it's just a fishing village with an inn. I love DD but Cassardis is wholly lacking in character.

Pic related

Attached: Khorinis.jpg (600x480, 68.98K)

God dammit. I wish I could play DD for the first time again.
Just exploring the world with absolutely no fast travel just made it feel more like a big adventure.

Attached: 600px-Rogue_Encampment_jigsaw.jpg (600x331, 55.44K)

>become God of the world
>come back to Cassardis
>mfw this plays youtube.com/watch?v=QCZDx0dlDws

Attached: 1425625827990.jpg (428x692, 165.95K)

Walking around any Oblivion town while Harvest Dawn/Auriel’s Ascention plays, nothing will top this as peak comfiness

I would trade you experiencing DD for the first time for experiencing Chrono Trigger for the first time again. DD did absolutely nothing for me.

>12 yr old
>Fell asleep playing vidya again
>Dad will be mad you left the tv on
>Pic related is blasting
Where did the fun go Zig Forums?

youtube.com/watch?v=iTYnay4WYTI

Attached: C4HEFLdWIAANwQD.png (750x971, 1.24M)

The game has a massive soundtrack but so many songs only get used once or twice for some reason
Anyways if you like 11 try out some of the others later.

Which ones in particular? I think I'll run with 8 since it seems the most similar but any others?

For me it's Flanoir

Attached: tos__flanoir_by_zitruseis_das046v-fullview.jpg (1024x717, 132.88K)

Suikoden games really nailed the home base aspect. I like how it grows organically and you aren't choosing what to expand or anything. So it's not really base building as such.

Attached: 1a3b5ab5547fdcbb58b960d0d514105a.png (500x625, 641.42K)

What game?

I

Attached: tumblr_p5js1w5xBP1x2q96no10_1280[1].jpg (1280x672, 322.94K)

Golden Sunnnnnnnnddndnd

I'm not buying it again Todd

Attached: 1535082259265.gif (500x322, 888.93K)

Majula

Attached: 1_EPk-dGRx4b3Dyl-kjAe7_g.jpg (2048x643, 281.19K)

Attached: temple.gif (500x328, 159.68K)

Thats the problem with Dragon Quest. The compose puts out the bare minimum number of tracks then fucks over Square by having them use midi files because MUH SYMPHONY TICKETS

>Enter desert level
>No desert overworld theme
>Same 3 town/plains/palace themes play throughout the game
>What little variety they do have is godlike, but used once the entire game
What the fuck we're they thinking?

Wystern.

Attached: Swordcraft Story.png (1600x1080, 2.14M)

Xenoblade 2's towns are my fucking favorite. Each one has a great theme and has tons to explore and side quests to do.

>I've never played one before so it's kinda nice to play a jrpg that's just simple and fun.
Agreed. Most post-2000 jRPGs are convoluted bullshit, Monolith games in particular. Part of the reason that I liked Bravely Default so much was because it was no more or less complicated than a jRPG should be.

been playing through ff9 on PC with moguri mod. Treno is a real treat. Great music and atmosphere.

Attached: treno.jpg (1920x1080, 376.97K)

I think my main issue with DQXI is that its world is quickly explored in its entirety in the first act of the game and never really changes. You don't see much new past the first 15 hours or so, and the game can easily go over 50-60 if you do a lot of the side content.

>I think my main issue with DQXI is that its world is quickly explored in its entirety in the first act of the game and never really changes.
would you say the chapter structure of earlier games is better then?

Stop posting on Zig Forums dad

Kinda, yeah. It's like they started adding too many bells and whistles to combat system during the last generation. When did you really need a tutorial for JRPGs?

>When did you really need a tutorial for JRPGs?
There were a lot of convoluted PS1 JRPGs as far as I remember.

I love that Xenoblade towns each have a night theme and that they are even warmer and cozier than the day themes.

youtube.com/watch?v=9w0GRuskvAU

youtube.com/watch?v=bOVVcTllqZE

youtube.com/watch?v=qQE2a9bZ88o

Not necessarily. I think the issue with DQXI could be solved more easily by having more dungeons like Mt. Huji involved in the later portions of the game would've helped. There's a few like the Battleground, but it's just not enough. They even reuse some old dungeons too and make you explore the same world 3 times over with minimal changing.

I don't think the story structure is necessarily the problem, it's the fact that there just isn't enough world.

>oblivion
>better than morrowind
No
The only interesting quests in oblivion were the dark brotherhood ones, the world itself was nothing like in the lore, looking more like something out of a kid's book, the main storyline and Mehrunes Dagon were dumb as fuck.
Still a good and comfy game, but absolutely not better than Morrowind. Especially if you add in Tamriel Rebuilt, which probably can't even be surpassed by TES6

Attached: 1587837200952.jpg (604x554, 80.37K)

>What's the comfiest town in an RPG?
youtube.com/watch?v=Kb9run547bE&
The thread is over now.

so many towns in suikoden 2, I can't even pick a favorite.

youtube.com/watch?v=_6F4Fbfxc2g
youtube.com/watch?v=0or3glcLbCE
youtube.com/watch?v=duAZw5dHlhk

Attached: wp4162818.jpg (1024x768, 141.37K)

That's a huge strength of Xenoblade in general.

Technically not a town theme, but a huge favorite night theme of mine:
youtube.com/watch?v=gq2xoIMlzqs

im right there with you user, every game should do this

this place is unsettling, but still a cool place.

the thieves guild had the better quests plus Morrowind is a shit water-downed game compared to Daggerfall

I would say some had obtuse system, because they wanted to sell guides, but you never needed a tutorial to tell you how to play the game. And then you have modern JRPGs which take great pains to tell you your characters essentially have attack and special attack.

It's primarily the fog turned too high/thick. Confined areas like the shrines look more-or-less properly tonemapped. It does lend a certain atmospheric quality in motion because of the volumetrics, but overall it's just way too aggressive.

FFXIV has this and while I can't recommend playing it just for that, the nighttime themes are 10000x better than the daytime

youtube.com/watch?v=h4OQDvRBKcE
youtube.com/watch?v=QOsO9o_WaRs
youtube.com/watch?v=yG-BIMPtC9k
youtube.com/watch?v=fjYOLafERaw

Attached: file.png (630x360, 511.97K)

Octopath Traveler's towns weren't necessarily anything special on the outside, but I think the character actions really let you delve into a lot of the NPCs and stuff that each town contained. And there were tons of great themes for each individual town too.

youtube.com/watch?v=9X0qkdYe0DM
youtube.com/watch?v=yG2DcrGKTFs

>Morrowind is a shit water-downed game compared to Daggerfall
Objectively wrong, the only quests in Daggerfall were
>go to this randomly generated dungeon and kill x
>go to this randomly generated dungeon and talk to x
>go to this randomly generated dungeon and fetch x
There was absolutely zero substance, the overworld was completely barren and empty and the randomly generated everything generally made the game boring.
I do like that weapon switching isn't instantaneous and that you have more equipment slots, some of the mechanics were great, but overall Daggerfall sucked shit and there really isn't anything to fix it.

Same dude you responded to and I totally agree, I'm a huge FFXIV fan. The nighttime themes are fantastic.

Gridania is one of my favorites.
youtube.com/watch?v=rRaw48C4sNc

>Morrowind is a shit water-downed game compared to Daggerfall

Technically true, but a lot of what ended up removed going DF to MW was replaced by handcrafted design of the latter. In essence, you traded scale for detail. You can also lament the loss of language skills or climbing, but will that really seal the deal for most people? I'd say no.

There was something incredibly compelling about the quests in that game where you're asked to get involved in something and you go "Wait I know this exact dude, he's in [x] town and I remember reading about this [event] when I walked around investigating everyone"

Lots of them are small and fluff but there's a lot of compelling stories hidden among all the unique NPCs across the entire game and finding how they link to either quests or just finding more of their stories in other characters was fascinating. I loved reading about people in town and going "Oh shit this guy must know that other dude in the last town I was in, they both worked at the same mine" or stuff.

God it's like an explorable book. It's a really cool design.

I'm on the last leg of FFXV. Completed all DLCs and just need to defeat Ardyn and his boss rush.

What games should I get since Steam is having a JRPG sell and I need something new to feel my void, bros?

Attached: 00000125.jpg (1920x1080, 136.11K)

Oh you simpleminded coldsteelbabby.

youtube.com/watch?v=oRi8AsB8BP0

i like all the games, the whole of sky is really comfy so it was hard to pick one

If you haven't play FF9 before or it's been a while, I highly recommend the steam version with Moguri Mod. It uses an AI to upscale all the old backgrounds and they look amazing. I posted a shot earlier in the thread.

FF X/X-2 and FFXII are both on sale too, both excellent.

Any of them really. 8 is most similar to 11 gameplay wise, 4 and 5 are fantastic all around, 7 is long as fuck but great, take your pick

>i like all the games
Oh no! It's retarded!

Based

I know that people complain about the game having so many tracks from old games but for me it's great.

youtube.com/watch?v=vzcGNxKdtYQ&t=8s

youtube.com/watch?v=2S0jYrlOGx8

youtube.com/watch?v=hh6J1pp2cqA

Attached: 6882f6d3d29d2e47a8499aa3f6cedeb5066920der1-702-1046v2_hq.jpg (687x1024, 72K)

Very nice. Harem (+ your ShiFu) is the canon ending in this Chinese RPG.

Attached: 20200430203347_1.jpg (1360x768, 222.99K)

I just wish there was a competent localization studio for Chinese RPGs. 90% it's obviously someone winging it and even that is at least a step up from machine translations which used to be a thing until very recently.

Play Dragon Quest VI, it's the comfiest DQ.

youtube.com/watch?v=HBsR3-wg1yg

Attached: DQ6 map.png (608x696, 68K)

>X-2
>XII
>excellent

Attached: download~01~01.jpg (86x95, 3.61K)

admittedly I never played X-2 but yes XII is excellent and I will personally fight you if you disagree

Dammit user, now you got me going through XIV music to compare the day&night tracks
These are good, tho
youtube.com/watch?v=Cdppk3_HhNs
youtube.com/watch?v=_h41T80eDVI
youtube.com/watch?v=PeCVZ1B8Gto
youtube.com/watch?v=DJqcwGwU8a8

XII's setting is amazing but the actual game not so much
Ivalice is such wasted potential but no one at Squeenix except maybe the MMO team seems to care about it anymore.

After playing it for myself, I can see why this and other historical-wuxia ones may be hard to translate. They speak in old-style Mandarin and have Chinese riddles, poems, proverbs and puns, things that lose their context if you do a basic translation. You probably need Atlus-level of localization for it to work.

Attached: 20200423030441_1.jpg (1176x664, 210.88K)

Oakfield from Fable 2.

Attached: oakfield-house.jpg (470x300, 71.14K)

I think XII has a lot going for it. Particularly the Zodiac versions of the game that allow for much more specialized characters.

I really enjoy the raw customizability and how much freedom you have to adjust your party in any given situation. Whether you're in battle, on the field, in town, wherever. You can access the menu and adjust. A lot of the bosses are a lot of fun to figure out and adjust around.

The game does have problems, the maps are fucking obnoxious for example The game also ends very abruptly. But I still like it a lot and think it's a very worthwhile FF to play, especially while it's on sale.

is there something wrong with your graphics in that pic

Attached: woods.webm (1280x654, 2.65M)

Is it really recommended to buy the Switch version? I do have a switch but the graphics are LITERAL piss compared to the PC version.

I don't think 12' setting is that good. Ivalice is cool but 12 itself just borrowed everything from Star Wars, it didn't feel like it had much of an identity on its own.

Radiata Stories has this too.

He's using that awful Moguri mod. It oversharpens the textures.

Attached: hey kid.webm (960x540, 2.7M)

Switch has extra content and some convenience features like forging anywhere instead of just at camp

>tfw phil announcing a new fable is the only thing I'm looking forward to

youtube.com/watch?v=ZyH_-iyA-6w
youtube.com/watch?v=RUOo7cB2dpk
youtube.com/watch?v=flkcRoku3xA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1BEcALLX0

Attached: swampy.webm (960x540, 1.94M)

youtube.com/watch?v=qCKEXPXtrEU
Nier's pretty comfy for a game about living in a post apocalypse and that ends with dooming humanity to an inevitable extinction

Attached: file.png (800x400, 659.7K)

> love everything about JRPGs except the turn-based combat
For 20 years I have endured it, I can no longer, I feel no joy in it any anymore. And yet I have no replacement for it. Why can't most games just create a comfy world with a simple saturday morning anime story? All I want in games is variety, playing the same mechanics with slight twists over and over gets so tiring.

Attached: 1572337353705.gif (300x308, 1.85M)

Any town in NNK

Attached: HootiqueOutside.jpg (1280x720, 198.87K)

careful, i hear Zig Forums doesn't like nnk for whatever reason

wasted potential personified

youtube.com/watch?v=i4mjzLZkG44

Always been a fan of Skies of Arcadia towns, this was especially comfy.

>I'm on the last leg of FFXV
if steam version then please tell me how.
the game runs and 100+ fps constantly but at the start of combat or sometimes in the middle of it the game literally freezes for a second or two, like literally fucking stops time.
that doesn't happen anywhere except during combat or at cid's garage no matter the settings, but my specs really shouldn't be the issue.

the art style is fantastic, its a like a whimsicalabd fairy-tale Howl's moving castle

>if steam version then please tell me how.
I never had the game freeze on me for anything.

I got all the PS1/2 FF's on disk. I also don't want to touch FFX-2 doesn't look to be my style and I kind of don't like what they did to Yuna.

I'm sad they never made another one of these. So comfy.

Tales of Berseria is good

Are you saying oblivion is even worse than morrowshit?

I want this game rereleased on switch so fucking hard

FLETZ

Attached: Fletz_1.jpg (340x255, 29.49K)

The dude is around 90 years old, i mean it's understandable he can put out as much work as he could

If you want some good ol edgy mid-2000s shonen shit, there's the .hack//GU collection, although some stuff may be lost on you if you haven't played the original 4 games
The two Digimon RPGs are pretty alright monster collector games if you don't mind them being pretty budget Vita games. You can probably get a good 100 hours out of each of them.
The Trails games are pretty love-it or hate-it, but there's a lot of them and they're all pretty long, so if you end up getting into them you'll have a lot of content to get through.

Attached: 20171117_003628.png (394x339, 152.71K)

.hack G.U.
DQXI
FF7 OG
Tales of Vesperia/Symphonia (though Symphonia is better emulated if memory serves)
The Trails in the Sky/Cold steel games

With no one from the old lionhead working on it and microsofts approach to games its probably gonna be piss. Theres no way they could recapture the charm of what made the fable trillogy so special.

That entire game's aesthetic is maximum cozy. Shame combat can be grating on the hears after awhile.

>The Trails games are pretty love-it or hate-it
The first 5 are love it. The recent 4 are hate it.

>.hack
Been through it.

>DQXI
Pill me on DQXI and the series.

>Digimon RPGs
Been through that series. DS, PSX, and so on. Played Cyber Sluts.

>Trails games
>Tales of
Give me the run down.

RPG Maker MV is on a 75% sale right now
Is it worth it?

I like the Towelket 2 hometown

Attached: screenshot_12.png (320x240, 10.61K)

Play jrpgs that arent tun based, user

I wrote an entire paragraph about oblivion being worse than Morrowind and you still have to ask, smoothbrain?

>DQ

Classic as classic can be. Pretty cozy adventure about beating the big bad with a party of colorful characters and going around the world and solving whatever problems crop up as you journey. youtube.com/watch?v=2RXh4SIEQxg

>Trails
RPG series that goes whole hog on world building with pretty interesting overarching plots, has a materia like system where you slot gems into a thing to gain stat benefits and spells

youtube.com/watch?v=yTM6pTxhhxQ

>Tales of
Action RPG games that, at least with Vesperia, borrow alot from fighting games with combo systems and such. Vesperia specifically has a really strong cast with the most likeable main character in the franchise IMO. Each entry is separate from each other with some exceptions, kind of like FF. Very high skill ceiling but low skill floor.

youtube.com/watch?v=3H9NzyepEEc what is possible if you're a combo autist like Donguri

because it wasted so much potential. it was THIS close.

I'm enjoying FF10 a lot so far. I barely started it at the beginning of the week and I feel like I'll beat the game soon because of how much I play.

Ni No Kuni is the first one, or did I miss something?

There is a 2nd one.

Damn, XI looks good. Might have to pick it up.

So what are the original .hack games like? I know nothing about them.

Attached: [E-D] .hack SIGN - 19 [1889B495].mkv_snapshot_04.11_[2016.04.22_00.31.03].jpg (720x480, 28.37K)

Do you have the game installed on a hdd or ssd? ssd is pretty much required for the steam version of ffxv while the Microsoft store version can be made to run decently on either.

This looks much more appealing than the ds version, why did they have to change to that dqvii looking engine.

What game?

radiata stories

Icicle Inn probably. Pic related was pretty comfy.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.25M)

what game?

Untitled-1

Asking about an older or obscure game is one thing, but that one literally just came out.

I loved them. Wish someone would remake or at least port them to pc.

There are hundreds of new game each month and I can't follow them all.

I don't understand why they aren't using another composer at this point. I only played 11, but damn, the music is bland as fuck.

Flotsam

Trials of Mana.

kys tranny

This. Pretty much every XC2 town is one of the best of the genre.

The stories are bad but the gameplay is amazing if you choose to go along with it. Especially the second game. Maybe only the second game actually. Just skip the first one.

>People who don't like seeing a great series get REAN'd by Kondo are trannies
Retard.

jrpgs are not rpgs
skyrim is not a rpg
clickem ups are not rpgs

I adore Auresco's melancholy daytime BGM.
youtube.com/watch?v=t0Tsqjq025M

>Just skip the first one.
Why would you tell him that? The first one is the only good one.

That town is fucking awful. That long ass tunnel to get into it, those shitty canals meaning it takes forever to get around and that area you can't get into until the endgame that has nothing good in it anyway

What about bugbear genocide simulators? are they rpgs?

Attached: 88afb870a8e175fd6cd17468822ffe48.jpg (1206x900, 334.13K)

They're very dated by today's standards and I'm saying this as a fan of the series. The gameplay wasn't anything to write home about either but the story, characters, ost, and atmosphere is still very good. I'd still recommend it just for that. All are easily emulatable

File City

youtube.com/watch?v=erU86ZT8z4I

Attached: digimon world.png (640x480, 593.11K)

>no Digimon game will ever be as perfect as DW1 again
It hurts.

What jrpg(s) should I get on the steam sale? which final fantasy games have non-shitty pc ports(and are non-shitty games)?

>final fantasy games have non-shitty pc ports
FF9 and 12 as far as I know.

Not new to the game, but what would you consider the comfiest class for a solo or small party run?

What makes FF9 preferable to the emulated PS1 release?

Fighter/mage multiclass. Strong and can do basically anything, also there's no downtime like for dual-class when you have to regain your abilities.

Just finished FF7R. It's pretty impressive in the sense that I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed. Sasuga Square. Don't think I'll be doing a hard more run any time soon.
Don't know what to play next. I'm choosing between Vesperia (never played it) and P5R (want to see if they've managed to fix at least some things about the game). I'm also thinking of doing another run in Three Houses, but I was really tired of that game by the end and am not sure if it'll be any different this time around.

Neverwinter Nights OC is driving me crazy. I know it's bad but I wanted to play it through once just to still see what it's about.
I play a druid, during the druid quest in act 2 one of the druids don't spawn. Fuck this let's try something else
I play a fighter/wizard, can't do the wizard quest in act 1 because the portal doesn't work. This is really annoying me rn

Which routes have you completed yet in 3H? There's barely any need to play VW if you already beat SS, and the reverse is also true, the maps are the same except except the very last one.

Empire and Church ones.

Do AM/Dimitri's route next then, it's different enough from these ones and the story is more character driven so it's a bit better.

That's weird because I didn't have a single problem with the game, I played gog diamond edition though.

Attached: 15843981926040.jpg (900x1200, 300.64K)

>the story is more character driven so it's a bit better.
Sounds nice enough. Character writing is what I enjoyed the most about the game. Thanks.

Isn't XII shitty? I remember it being shat on at release for being star wars and "Don't believe Ondores lies!" being a meme here and on Zig Forums or was it just a case of contrarians hating anything new and popular and now it's old enough to get recognized? or maybe it really was shitty on release but the international version fixed it?

Does Kingmaker have replayability? Like a number of classes that play different and maybe even some mods

are you playing enhanced? because Trent Oster broke that version and the gog release of Diamond is preferable.

>Baldurs Gate
From Baldurs Gate 1

Attached: Map_Baldurs_Gate.jpg (1024x765, 554.66K)

Romancing Saga 3 has been one of my favorite JRPGs in ages. A really solid sense of adventure and freedom, even shit is locked around kinda wonky. The final boss dialogue made the game for me. Also, this game has some of the best art I've seen for a jrpg. It's a shame it's not in-game like Tactics Ogre.

I'm currently on stratum 4 of Etrian Odyssey 5 after taking a long pause from that. Really looking forward to see the final two(?) and fleshing out my skill trees even more. After I finish that, I'll either start Ar Tonelico or SaGa Frontier though it's hard to say which.

Attached: 287582.jpg (1200x675, 164.69K)

Yeah. I pirated it anyway and for BG if you cared about mods Enhanced Editions were the way to go since most modders stopped updating their mods for old games, I thought the same would apply here
This is just weird to me. Unlike other games they have the source code to NWN AFAIK and Trent worked on NWN too so you'd think there would be actual improvements this time. This company never fails to disappoint

Pure fighter is pretty comfy in bg1. Only one with +2 weapon speciality, so he's pretty darn good damage dealer by the end.

You have it easy, as there's lots of JRPGs that don't have turn-based combat or that they managed to make it complex enough to be more than command spamming.
I, on the other hand, love the general vibe of JRPGs but can't stand the formula for their character design 80% of the time.

Attached: doggietub.gif (480x270, 1.68M)

If you play EE (tip: you shouldn't) blackguard is my favourite class.
But solo runs are the absolute opposite of confy.
If you don't have EE then fighter thief is a really strong combo, specially at high level with UAI.

Thats the point idiot, it was just a fishing village.

I always found it weird how very few JRPGs focused on actual systems and learning said systems versus "here's a story, watch numbers get bigger". It's where the perceived difficulty of SaGa or SMT games come from. They expect the player to have mastered basic shit at some point.

>It's SUPPOSED to be bad!

Is NNK 2 any better?

>I, on the other hand, love the general vibe of JRPGs but can't stand the formula for their character design 80% of the time.

Well there's a few western ones, not counting the oldies like Septerra Core or Anachronox.

Attached: celestian tales.jpg (1280x720, 671.06K)

Don't know about the game itself but its PC port is the least problematic of all the FFs on Steam (which is the question I was replying to), especiallynow that they removed Denuvo.

tons, absolutely tons of customisation.

this

Diablo 2 is a choices game. You can spare Nihlathak.

RS2 is better if you want more choice and consequence and tighter difficulty, RS3 is better if you want a more relaxed game with more attention to detals, quirkier cast and multiple main characters.
Both are great games though.
NWN OCs are legendary in how bad they are, NWN2's OC is even worse given how the entire game was also rushed to shit because
>Obsidian
So you have to deal with an incredibly shitty OC that is also blatantly unfinished to this day, there's even unfinished quests you can trigger and record in your journal but never finish.

How can you niggers like DQXI, is this your first jrpg or something?

It's absolutely dreadful no matter how you look at it
>soulless graphics, sub 30fps sub 720p on Switch (version I played)
>unlikeable generic as fuck characters
>story is generic and lame as fuck
>all twists can be seen coming a mile away
>boring overworld that is completely empty
>dungeons are nothing but empty square corridors
>voice acting is atrociously bad, even in japanese, seriously what the fuck
>recycled and recolors up the ass
>combat system is boring as fuck
>99% of battles are won by pressing X to select attack
>battle music is absolute shit
>around 10 musical themes total, when even low budget jrpgs have like 50
>and they're for the most part bombastic repetitive garbage
>same battle theme for the entirety of the game
>forced faggot character that screeches constantly in his drag queen voice to appeal to western snowflakes

How can you double niggers like this trash?

Attached: concerned frog.png (450x321, 91.42K)

Man I love these low-ish poly, n64 style grafix. What game? Other games with this type of graphics?

XIV is very pretty and has some great music.

But I really cannot recommend playing it in any capacity.

Best hub in the series, it actually feels like a warm and safe place compared to the rest.

I'm playing BG1 for the first time currently. Game is pretty neat, just wish companions did more stuff and talked.

The towns are good. Artstyle and graphics are really good (played on Switch). Writing is some of the best in the genre (low bar). Combat is good.

Literally the only problem the game has is that the gameplay doesn't evolve whatsoever during the entire playthrough. But I have XC2 for that so I'm fine with DQ11.

What are some cozy Switch JRPGs?

>The towns are good.
Really now, what makes them good? They're totally generic.
>Artstyle and graphics are really good (played on Switch).
Plasticky soulless Toriyama trash. It's worse than anime trash. On Switch the graphics are dreadful.
>Writing is some of the best in the genre (low bar).
Ok then, you don't know a shit about jrpgs, confirmed 100%.
>Combat is good.
See above. I am very convinced that people overrating this trash is literally all zoomers who never played a jrpg before.

Wait for the remaster

Dark Chronicle

Atelier is just delightful. I highly recommend the Arland Trilogy.

Attached: 081.jpg (400x490, 65.54K)

Kys

Good taste user

Attached: 1430134841533.png (300x300, 16.58K)

The only difficulty in RPGs comes from mastering their systems and content, once you do, the best a game can offer in terms of challenge is throwing unforeseeable bullshit at you that you cannot possible prepare against and see how well you improvise, which is why procedural generation is a thing in general.
SaGa's one of those series that gets progressively easier the more you master the mechanics, even the more puzzle like systems of SG aren't an exception, it's not any different from any other RPG in that, but the difference is that it's one of the few series that actually forces you to understand what you're doing if you want to succeed, especially beyond playing with the well known B&B tools to win easily, coupled with the freedom in terms of progression and character building it's definitely one of the more interesting series around.

Granted, at times you want some games that are more about high stakes and balls to the walls content rather than learning intricate systems, and SaGa isn't about that outside of some optional content, but that's why games like Elminage Gothic or ND exist, it's two different schools of thought, both are valid as long as they're executed well enough, being mechanically simple isn't a bad thing either as long as you still make those simple mechanics matter.

Attached: Quality localization.png (1920x1080, 3.86M)

Isn't the appeal of DQ that it is the token original JRPG in every regard?

The music is garbage anyway, it's your typical bloated, bombastic orchestral trash, now in glorious Midi quality too. Even low budget games have superior quality midis that don't get excruciating to listen to after the second loop.

Atelier was a revelation for me. Went from "wtf is this cursed weeb shit" to my top 5 favourite video game series ever (also favourite JRPG series). Only other time I had a similar experience was with Yakuza.

Attached: atelier.jpg (1007x1462, 659.13K)

Fuck me, I miss that image format.

I don't, Zig Forums has no idea of what the concept of less is more is.

Attached: weg weg.jpg (1008x387, 81.86K)

Battle theme was so great I kept entering on random battles all the time just to hear it.

crafting THE bomb is some arcane shit

Attached: totori.jpg (1515x608, 288.43K)

Reinstalled and modded it two weeks ago. First time using Oblivion Reloaded and Better Cities. Even comfier, bros. The atmosphere is better than ever. The music is powerful.

Wrye bash is a must for better cities. Get into the ini files for oblivion reloaded.

Honestly both the first and the second are really bad. The first has some of the lamest monsters and battle system ever, bad story, bad pacing, bad music, unlikeable characters, and to top it all off, difficulty spikes, grinding (restarting at level 1 after evolutions is some bullshit), and fucking retarded party AI. I got the platinum and the unlockable car for this on PS3 because I'm fucking retarded, I hated every minute of it.

Second one is blatantly incomplete with vast areas noticeably cut and reduced to those lame skirmish battles, music is still bad, story is still really bad, battle system is a poor man's Tales of that is ridiculously easy. Definitely better than the first but still garbage. Not even the pirate loli could save it for me.

Attached: Ni no Kuni II_ Revenant Kingdom 16_09_2018 12_15_05.png (1920x1080, 3.65M)

I haven't played wither but it's amazing that you platinumed a game you hate so much.

Xenosaga 3 had the perfect scifi setting and art direction. Is there any game that has a similar feel?

Damn that looks nice. I'm guessing it emulates well?
I still have my PS2 lying around but I decided to give PCSX2 a shot to play pic related in HD and I should've done so sooner.

Attached: nightstreet.png (1600x900, 1.86M)

I really want to play this again but I don't have enough space to install it on my Switch.
Honestly might just buy it again on Steam. Such a masterpiece, and I never did beat BBI.

You mean the N/A? Now try to craft an ultimate Elixir, Meteor or Peacemaker in Meruru DX, or any of the postgame accessories and armor without a guide. This shit is just retardedly complex, but I love it for some reason. Now I'm skipping Dusk and playing Sophie which is pretty laid back and comfy. Unfortunately character quality took a nosedive from Arland, wtf happened? I'm like 30% in but none of the characters seem memorable like the Arland guys in this one.

Anyway just fucking around with the alchemy and exploring with no time limit is still fun and comfy overall. Music is really good again for the most part but it's more all over the place, you have some very good themes like the map theme (invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=HgzGnJjk3to) and some bad ones.

I want a comfy game with a setting/plot like Tactics Ogre: LUCT, but without the slow chore of a grind that the combat is. Unfortunately, it doesn't yet exist.

I haven't played the Xenosaga series yet but that pictures gives me some mad PSO vibes. Go play Blue Burst on Ephinea if you haven't already.

Your pic made me think Phantasy Star Online episodes 1&2

Quit making me remember I need to actually play Xenosaga 2 at some point.

Good, but might I suggest: youtube.com/watch?v=fr1uU9iKRZk

Attached: 70dab44234265d435e11b1df92dad36b552b1383.jpg (1920x1080, 800.99K)

It was during my trophy whore phase, I had to platinum every game I had even if it was horrible. Honestly NNK1 wasn't horrible but it was really really bland. It was hyped as having a deep combat system like Pokemon and Ghibly tier story but overall it was painfully crappy in both regards.

Gondolia is peak soul. Fuck off.

I actually have played BB and you're right, it is similar if a bit dated. The environments and music in that game are pure soul.

XS2 isn't bad, and I actually enjoyed it more than XS1. It's only ~20hours, has a far better battle system, and having actual music during gameplay was nice.
Worth it to get to XS3, which is easily the peak of the series. If 1 and 2 were as polished and well-designed as 3 then I'm sure the series wouldn't have gotten shafted as hard as it did.

Attached: CAT.png (1600x900, 1.91M)

>sugiyama
>bombastic orchestral
What? Are you sure you aren't deaf?

Based. Ruan is the comfiest Trails city. I literally will never forget that song you posted.

Attached: ruan.jpg (1280x720, 174K)

This game shouldn't have so many good battle themes

youtube.com/watch?v=oNywPvGlQPA
youtube.com/watch?v=mn4Zx4sL4dY
youtube.com/watch?v=ytrJ7-KfRcc
youtube.com/watch?v=7szYj5qfymQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6xso147geIs

How's Dark Cloud?

It has a even bigger amount of wasted potential. The game itself is ok.

Shit opinion.

I was referring mainly to the battle theme and the overworld theme in XI, which are the themes you hear the most. I can't stand the overused brass instruments, it's absolutely grating.

Attached: botw-14-tarry-town-at-night[1].jpg (3981x1981, 1.02M)

Look for CEMU screenshots.

Attached: CEMU Screenshot 2018.05.23 - 12.00.47.41-or8.png (2560x1440, 1.5M)

>3H
Play Shining Force 2 on ouch mode.

Clean as fuck.

[citation needed]

This is your typical PC gaymer shit right here. It's absolutely awful, good job on shitting on the original art design of the game which was already perfect, you managed to make it look like your average piece of shit Ubisoft open world game, good job nigger.

Attached: iu.jpg (772x610, 69.64K)

because it's like firing Uematsu from FF. Sugiyama has been the composer for the series for 40 years. The music being midi is a staple of the franchise, orchestral compositions are not the rule and never have been.

>The only difficulty in RPGs comes from mastering their systems and content
DRPGs are not like this.

Rabao

Attached: rabao-pic.jpg (512x190, 34.67K)

Technically not a town, but Balamb Garden music makes me feel at home
youtube.com/watch?v=1eU0tRBHnE0

>DRPGs
Dutch RPGs?

Attached: 1566596429566.jpg (500x522, 24.02K)

Can you recommend me some absolutely obscure (but still good in temrs of story and gameplay) JRPGs? I think I played most of the mainstream and hidden gem ones by now.

Attached: 1449586602001.png (1600x1504, 57.69K)

I’ve been playing through wasteland 2, it alright, nowhere near as bad as people were saying

I can never finish Oblivion, but the towns are peak comfy. It's hard to pick a favourite.
Not that anyone is about to pick Bravil. Bravil is a shithole lmao.

I didn't get the hype around DQ11. I platinumed it but it wasn't anything memorable to me

you just have no soul

Beyond the Beyond
Treasure of the Rudras
Magical Land of Wozz
Robotrek
SMT Last Bible

A lot of the hate for Wastelands 2 comes from the massive hype campaign that promised a lot of shit that the game ultimately never delivered.
It's a pretty competent game for the most part, just not the gamechanger people thought it would be.
It's also a bit tryhard at times with all those ebin references, still like it though outside of the uninteresting setting and story but if I have to be honest I'd rather replay Underrail.

This. It's not a huge place like Novigrad of Witcher 3, but evry single thing feels hand-placed and has a function. The different parts of town (harbor, market, upper city) also feel very different but organically so, which is pretty impressive for such a small place.

This.
And wow, that whole game felt like a virtual vacation. Wish there was more like it that way.

List the non shit jrpgs you have played

How do you guys feel about location density and the traditional problem of saying that something is a bustling city when it's eight houses and twelve NPCs. Asking for a friend.
I'm trying to make something and struggling with the disconnect between what is feasibly possible to create and a town in a game not really feeling like an actual place.

Attached: Double Decker - Stupid Things.png (1280x720, 1020.59K)

I'm really not into anime, much less anime games but I saw a webm of Gravity Rush 2 that looked comfy af for me to download the demo.

Walking through the crowded streets was really relaxing

Attached: 388783-AFAF2.jpg (1600x900, 1.34M)

Just seeing the npcs running around made the game cities feel lived in man i wish i could play them all again
youtube.com/watch?v=xqRgc8VTN20

Attached: Mac anu Home.png (1341x739, 1.44M)

What exactly was memorable about it outside of Sylvando? It followed quite a lot of RPG clichés from early Final Fantasy

>P5R
>fix anything
Ahahaha
No. They just added in another shitty "main" girl and a bunch of fujobait.

defintely the best desktop theme

well I meant not just any bomb. But one's that minmaxed beyond belief and pretty much oneshots bosses.

Those games have the autistic need to make every NPC and house interact-able. Realistically in an urban environment you wouldn't be talking to everyone and knocking on every door.

My Castle in FE Fates

Make houses you can't enter. If cities are too big with too many useless NPCs you can talk to they get tiring.

Well I don't really understand why you mentioned Sylvando but alright. For me, I loved all the side stories in the towns you traveled through. The frozen kingdom, the guy who was accidentally transformed into a beast and started killing people in the town he wanted to protect, the underground kingdom where you get transformed into a fish, having henrik do a 180 and join your party, the kingdom above the clouds with the popo dudes that talked funny...

I thought it was a very refreshing game in an age where every game is super serious business always trying to slide in a message at the end, Dragon Quest remains a journey with companions to save the world while meeting some fresh side stories on the way and coming back home to marry your childhood friend.

It's a problem you can't solve through traditional means, simple as that.
Creating a city true to its supposed size and population is a massive task, the actual utility of which is also arguable.
The most obvious answer is to make your presentation more abstract and rely on game mechanics and narratve to portray size and human activity.
Otherwise you have to sacrifice something in your presentation in some way, and there's several ways to deal with that.

Septerra Core and Battle Chasers are rare western JRPGs

I can vouch for Battlechasers, shit was fantastic if a little janky. Gave me PS2 vibes in the same vein as Shadowhearts, which is another great series.

>western JRPGs
Stop this.

Twilight Princess of all games had a pretty good solution. There's a ton of NPCs wandering through the streets who you can't interact with, while more static NPCs can be talked to. Combined with Hyrule Castle Town being a series of dense streets outside of the central plaza and a bunch of buildings you can't enter, it creates the illusion of a busy city pretty successfully. This might not work for a more open town, but it succeeds in a metropolitan area.

Attached: Cemu_2020-05-01_22-56-41.jpg (1920x1080, 673.02K)

I have a few;

Zozo, who doesnt love a rainy murder town?
Shrike, a lazy small town, but comfy and deadly tomb skeletons
Midgar, for the fact that you dont get to explore all of it, it really has that depressed feeling down

Had more but cant think of anything good to say.

the ultimate answer

Usually games pick between a million generic NPCs who wander around and are just background filler, usually open world games and a very small number of unique NPCs, but you can make a compromise like this. I think that players are used to looking at something that's small scale and mentally processing it as a major location in the game's universe.

Attached: Cemu_2020-05-01_22-56-54.jpg (1920x1080, 624.08K)

Just have the interactable zone be a slice of the kingdom or massive city in question, and use a solid background to convey the rest of the size.

*usually open world games, and games that pick having a small number of unique NPCs,

Goldenrod City

Attached: 1555483014757.png (656x729, 43.05K)

stop it with the autism
things aren't just literally what the name says and nothing else

>A spoon can be a fork because fuck names
Yes they are.

There were way more NPCs in TP Hyrule Castle Town than I remembered or expected. Reminded me that Skyloft is pretty boring despite being the only settlement in the game. I'd definitely put it as one of my favourite Zelda towns after Clock Town after replaying the game.

Attached: Cemu_2020-05-01_23-05-13.jpg (1920x1080, 667.64K)

I was going to answer the same thing. Pokemon gen 2 in general is comfy but that one is my favorite city.

>a fork is not cutlery because it doesn't cut
a u t i s m

>Forks can't cut
>Playing around with words without knowing etymology

Attached: 1565389994064.jpg (682x548, 270.21K)

I liked the first one because of the art style and the fucking amazing world map. The story wasn't bad, just not particularly good. And the music was good. The monsters and battle system were pretty bad, though. I never touched NnK2 because they couldn't get Ghibli and without the art, the game isn't worth playing.

Completionist autism is a hell of a drug. I platinumed Death Stranding, and that game fucking sucked.

How well does TP run on CEMU now? is it preferable to Dolphin?

Does Monster Hunter count as an RPG? Because every single hub town is a pretty good candidate. Otherwise I'd probably go with Timber from FF8.

Attached: Timber_2.jpg (368x224, 51.65K)

I'm shilling Eastshade. It's a combatless Oblivion with tea-drinking and painting

There was that one heavy Japanese themed town in Ni No Kuni 2 that was pretty kino

youtube.com/watch?v=5AQovAlPkTM
>10 years ago already
god damn what a masterpiece

you are one of those "every game where you play a role is an RPG" retards
fuck off, why did God make you a moron

No I ain't, that's your argument, not mine, you triple retard.

Very rarely is this an annoying problem in games. Usually they have an explorable area that's big enough, and then kind of some stuff out in the background. I can't remember any games with a "big city" that was small in terms of what I could explore, and didn't have a larger area in the background. What jumps to mind when you say that?

Bastok

That was a pretty bad issue in Tales of the Abyss too

>there's a touhou game for every genre
But why?

That's not Luth Golein

>I love the look of Xenoblade 1 & 2's worlds but holy fuck the gameplay and story just suck for me I can't get into it. The towns are really unique though.
The Xenoblades really do have superb world and town design.

Attached: Kinoblade 2 grid.jpg (2132x1200, 1.28M)

For me, its Beauclair.

Attached: axw3o8uxt1w21.png (1920x1080, 3.75M)

Attached: Xenoblade X kino.jpg (3989x2529, 3.94M)

Man, I've played through NWN OC+Exp 10+ times in my life. 2 times EE. Never encountered anything even remotely resembling what you describe. Are you sure you're not missing something?

It's pretty clear that they ran out of budget at some point. I mean just look at the Act 3 dungeon. Almost killed my will to finish it.

It's impossible to not compromise. Even if you had a team to help you, recreating the most average human city (90-120k pop) would be an ordeal without much purpose in the end. Instead focus on what you can offer to inmerse the player. Have alleys, have street peddlers and places you can't go into. Make lots of NPCs go on believable routes around the city and make them not mind the shit the players have to say, like actual people of a big city. Details like that make it easier on you by not having to autistically design each interaction (which is immersion breaking as fuck anyway) and have big areas that are mostly just there for the aesthetics, while also offering little big details that make it immersive.

Attached: 1579951975602.jpg (720x449, 59.56K)

Asking "why not?" would be more apt.

>How well does TP run on CEMU now? i
I played through the entire game and didn't notice any stuttering or problems, and my PC isn't particularly beefy.

get laid

Why do you act like JRPGs aren't generic, repetitive and creatively bankrupt trash inherently? People just want to enjoy what they can of each. Like some comfy city or some fun combat moments or whatever. They are truly the Saturday morning cartoons of videogames, stop spazzing.

I have no hopes for the story, but some gameplay changes seemed interesting in the trailers.

>Why do you act like JRPGs aren't generic, repetitive and creatively bankrupt trash inherently?
What genre isn't?

Very low IQ post.

Turn up the brightness any higher pls

Gothic II
Risen 1

Any others with ... I'm not sure comfy is the right world, but livable towns, really fleshed out towns that feel alive?

Beauclair

Attached: image.png (1480x925, 3.6M)

And that’s why it’s shit. You should never feel safe in a Souls game

home

Never underestimate Jap games. I remember my first time playing Sengoku Rance expecting some Hentai shit. But once the game started The Hentai parts started bugging me and I just wanted to dive right into the gameplay.

It's just a mediocre wargame with really good characters

How do you think Mearls leaving will effect BG3, or have an effect at all

>Saint's Wreath
Based blank picture poster.

>Early Access game by Tales of Wuxia devs
store.steampowered.com/app/1189630/Path_Of_Wuxia/
Any brave takers?

Attached: ss_1e41ec0266ff982d75a69341f018e99895561c3e.1920x1080.jpg (1920x1080, 926.46K)

For me it's Eternal Sonata.

Attached: es.jpg (770x1000, 259.13K)

For me, it's Vale.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5WiJtleQs

Attached: ValeRoof.png (240x160, 13.68K)

Everyone's arms are at you skinny in this

>chinkshit

Donau is better

What game,?

>Morrowind is shit and watered down
>That's why I prefer Oblivion
O I am laffing

What game?

Get the fuck out of here fag, that shit looks much better than the dark-muddy one

You fags can't stop hyperbolizing.