OFFSITE BACKUPS

how to have offsite backups? backup that is stored outside your home
I want both online and offline.
Online - encrypt locally on your PC then send to server. but where? and how to store information to access this server?
Offline - where? put it on flash drive and bury under ground? but it won't be easy to update the backup... and someone could steal your drive.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

AWS Glacier

Relatives' house

If i had a computer interested friend
I would setup a VPN and store shit on each others computers or NAS

safe deposit box

My buddy paul's house who lives down the street.

I use MEGA.
Encrypt locally, put it in the cloud drive, done.

Critical data: Slim flash drive in my wallet, PC, laptop, home server, dedicated server, rotating external HDD that I keep at work.
Important, less important and trivial data are kept on one or more of those locations based on value, replaceability, file size and usage. I might leveraging the free space offered by Google, Dropbox et al at some point, using encrypted data of course.

If you've got family you meet for holidays that's a good option for keeping an external hard drive with encryption in a closet. Update it every time you visit or have two of them and swap.

My backup strategy is very simple, all the media I've got can be downloaded through torrents in a week or two and the files that I want to keep are small enough to fit on a cheap flash drive that has my distro of choice on it with a list of all the packages I've installed.

Sure I've got a timeshift running that does general backups in case a drive fails unexpectedly but I'd be able to get back to normal if there was a flood/theft/house fire in a matter of hours.

I've got almost 30 TB of various media on my server. Thinking about getting a tape drive for backups, maybe some M-Discs for smaller stuff

Why would you even bother with this shit if you plan to buy tape drive?

Attached: 6____________.gif (449x230, 4.82M)

He is merely thinking about buying a tape drive. Depending on how much of his 30 TB he's planning to backup, how often he'll need to access it, how often he wants to back up and how long he plans to keep the backups, going the tape route might be shooting himself in the foot. Consider:

Tape
* Good data integrity for 3 to 8 years after write (depends on tape and writing apparatus and storage environment)
* Data can be rewritten, typical total tape life 15 to 20 years
* New tapes around 30 EUR / TB (rarely if ever on sale)
* Used recorder around 300 EUR, likely to last 10 to 20 years with maintenance
* Fast sequential, slow seeking R/W

HDD
* Good data integrity for 1 to 2 years after write
* Data can be rewritten, typical total HD life 10 years (assuming you don't overuse or underuse it)
* New NAS-grade HDDs are starting to dip to 20 TB / EUR during sales
* You probably already have 10 external USB enclosures
* Random R/W
* Failure rate marginally higher than the tape route, all things considered

Optical discs
* Early MDisc DVDs are still readable and often at full integrity a decade later
* Not sure about the Blu Ray ones
* Breddy expensive per GB
* Writers are 50~100 EUR, often last 5~10 years
* Slow write-once, fast seeking read
* Bretty resilient, tiny, easy to store
* Optical readers might still be around in 10~20 years (?)

They all have their uses. I've personally gone full HDD.

how to buy or get relatives and friends? how you got your ones?

in a bank? what's the price?
but it won't be anonymous. and they could modify firmware on your hdd / flash drive so when you connect to your PC your doomed

MEGA is botnet and CIA honeypot. it is not possible to put data on MEGA without javascript or their malware app

and how do you encrypt it? using what tool?

what if police comes to work and modifies firmware of your HDD without you knowing it

how do you encrypt it?

Attached: 20181023090849_33072.jpg (400x400, 14.77K)

is this used to train your cock?

What is the name of the girl who is firing a gun in the picture?

darude sandstorm

Fuck . Here's the original.
youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU

It's an irrelevant video. I watched the video but I couldn't find her in the video.

Is there any nation with larger meme-per-capita output?

Attached: 1471758767050-0.jpg (1024x683, 138.14K)

What kind of fantasy land do your numbers come from?

Best option would be to get a few friends who are geographically separated, each with ZFS pools - then you can sync native-encrypted datasets with zfs-send (faster than rsync), while still being able to scrub your arrays.

how to get friends?

how to get GUI version of this shit? and that will work on Windows

From land of not using HDDs you found in garbage dump.

Unless you mean SSD. Then yes, they are useless for cold storage.

So no, not in this decade

any offsite backup that can be kept in anus for extra security?

Encrypt it and put it in the cloud. Then have a microsd with the decryption key on it hidden very well offsite in the real world.

I keep mine in my neighbor's attic. They haven't noticed yet.

I'd fear loss for periods longer than a few months. Good way to "brick" your cloud-bound data. Use a long passphrase instead and write it down on paper, stored in a waterproof bag or carve it in rock or something.

I wear a flash drive around my neck, if I'm in a position where someone could reasonably remove a necklace I'm wearing then I won't be too worried about my data.

are you people brain damaged?
or is it CIA giving false information

police could take your stupid necklace

3 CIA niggers giving false information