VM thread/best vm ost OS discussion

tl;dr tired of dual booting, loooking for lightweight, stable, and nvidia-freindly os to run my gayming OS in.

What's the best OS for running gpu passthrough'd windows 7 VMs on a second gpu and monitor? I've tried several already, including gentoo. Half my woes are due to >nvidia cards and the fucking driver situation. Gentoo didn't install the nvidia drivers, debian netinst failed with any wm i tried after driver install.

I have 2x gtx1070. Is it stupid to want to run the host OS through one gfx card and the guest through the other, and so plug a monitor into each card? Wouldn't I get the most performance this way? why is it so fucking difficult to set this up in xorg.conf?
Xubuntu 16.04 could do it actually, and it was easy too, but it also took 4g of ram idle, even more than win7. Fuck that. I tried taking the xorg.conf that was generated and using it in debian with xfce, no luck.

i've temporarily uninstalled linux until i can decide on a distro for this, or if i can manage to get debian netinst to install the nvidia drivers. I'm going for a light and stable distro mostly for internet browsing and running VMs, debian seemed perfect and I'm really disappointing I couldn't get it to work despite my best googling efforts.

it's what i have. Yes, I regret it, an amd card would have made this whole process much easier. And I want performance here, so I'll be using the non-free drivers.
sorry for the blogpost im frustrated

Also VM thread for VM discussion. qemu or virtualbox? what do you do with your VMs? is it even worth it to run a vm without hardware acceleration, except as a sandbox?

Attached: dickey_mouse_southpark.png (999x742, 535.38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unraid.net/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers/
wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DevuanInstall
devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just run winblows on your gaming machine and use it as a console, get a small nuc or something like that and use that for day to day computer use with the *nix OS of your choice

VMs are kinda a pain so get a separate PC if possible. It's much easier that way and you don't lose any performance.
Anw I have a setup on Arch with a GTX 1060. It does kinda work, had to tweak it a bit though.
Anw since you have 2 identical cards, it'll be harder to passthrough just one.
Also AMD cards have their issues too. Unless you buy a pro card that has VFIOs ready for passthrough you're using them for purposes unintended by the manufacturer.

Just check the arch wiki article on VFIO.

unraid.net/
There are a few tutorials out there for exactly what you want to do. Its hypervisor component is KVM/QEMU.

Here's another nigger. Listen. Windows 10 is the best OS suited for virtualization. Before you cry out botnet, do make sure to get LTSB, which is relatively free of all the shit it has. Don't use Windows 7. It wasn't made with virtualization in mind, at least not as much as Windows 10. Besides, it doesn't matter how much botnet it has, it's a fucking VM, so get the latest.

As for the host OS, try using Parabola with OpenRC or Artix, both Arch variants with no systemd. Great options.

Don't get AMD if you're going to pass it through, especially not Vega. They suffer from the reset bug, which consists in the card not being able to power cycle once the VM's off, it means that you have to reset the host if you want to turn off the guest. Get nvidia, it has the code 43 error but it can be easily circunvented.

Follow this guide. Don't use libvirt or virt-manager. Don't use unRAID. Grow some fucking hair on your chest. wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/PCI_passthrough

Retard.

They're not a pain if you're actually literate and bother to read the fucking manual.

You're a faggot for recommending a paid solution over something that can be done completely free as in freedom.

Don't bother, VMs are a meme.
If you don't have a development use for a Virtual machine then you really shouldn't be using it.
If all you want to do is run windows, just run windows.
Having windows in a virtual machine doesn't make it any less of a botnet then if it wasn't, and it can hardly be called "gaymin on linux" because you're running it on windows. same thing goes for wine
Just run windows if you want it so badly. If you want to use *nix or *nix things, just run *nix.
Dual booting is the meme everyone spreads around, but i wouldn't suggest that either cause windows likes to kill off gnu/linux partitions.
Install them on two seperate harddrives and tie it together in grub. or, in the better case if you have multiple computers avaible to you, just install linux on a cheap pc and put wangblows on your ultra gaymen pc-master race tier build and suck the windows dick cause you can't get vidyagaymes without lowering your intelligence anyway.

Install Templeos

Attached: retardedspirit.png (497x327, 193.86K)

NVidia drivers do not allow PCIE passthrough on consumer cards AFAIK. You need Quadro.

You misunderstand what OP is asking and looking for. You are retarded. "VMs are a meme" is what someone who doesn't understand the problem domain would say

go back to /g/ you fucking faggot

it's just emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ?
If it isn't working, you might need to recompile your kernel with the correct flags as per wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVidia/nvidia-drivers/

As for what is the better VM: it's qemu.
Virtualbox is much more retrictive to what you can do with the VM itself because it's designed to be basic and work for mostly development purposes.
Qemu, while also heavily for development, it allows for more customization in options and generally has more going on.

This is literally what GPU passthrough is, you need a hostcard and a seperate card for kvm.
You're fucked. You can't use two of the same type of GPU it makes detection and seperation of indivisual cards hard as shit
h'wat? wouldn't you normally do that at boot not during Xsession?

no

fucking retard

It's true, if you're not dealing with a situation where you're developing and testing software or managing a vps.
Theres literally no fucking use.

Attached: 1542743146.jpg (390x291, 37.2K)

OP made it quite clear that he was asking about VM use for running non native proprietary software with gpu intence requirements.
Thus, the answer given was perfectly within it's bounds.

The only reason it's usefulness has evaded you because of your low intelligence but the rest of your post was ok, not what op wants tho.

I don't see why you have to make it so difficult for yourself, but interesting op anyway. There is no good solution yet to micro$hills constant DirectX jewing, but by all means go find one and let us know. Good luck.

Attached: cb79930c009a2f7cecda6ef40216a02dcb0c7b3a2a36df07e0bfbdd7b49fd0be.gif (271x214, 8.89K)

Faggotnigger, the Install Gentoo wiki is a joint venture between 8/tech/ and 4/g/, it's recommended in our sticky. Read it.

You can distinguish both cards, you just have to differentiate them through their PCI ID.

Why don't you just game on Linux? nVidia's drivers run just as well on both systems, Vulkan runs faster on Linux in most scenarios.

BO is a fag though, he recommends it because he's from halfchan.

Explain to me how running windows for gamining withing a sandboxed VM is useful when your breaking that very sandbox and passing direct controll to the hardware anyway?
You might aswell just use windows at that point.

This, why even bother to passthrough or dual boot? It's also safer to separate botnets with physical hardware.

You can't learn to cook without breaking a few eggs.

t. unraid employee

You don't know how to read. Read my post again. Where exactly does it say that I'm recommending him Gentoo? DId you read that word once and believe I was doing that? I was telling him to go look at the Install Gentoo wiki, not the Gentoo wiki, and definitely not to install Gentoo. Note the Install.

Must be a woman going by her reading comprehension.

The part where you point him to a Install Gentoo guide and say "Follow this guide."

You're here and you don't know that meme. Just get out. Don't even lurk. Out.

You're on the wrong board, fren
>>>/g/

Where the fuck did you come from? even the most basic bitch /g/cuck knows this shit

Attached: 1539832076.jpg (269x326, 28.16K)

t. samefag

Server 2016 faggot. No forced updates. No gay shit.

"pci passthrough" is meme of the decade probably invented by nvidia marketing exects to sell an extra thousand or two cards.

Attached: b8c383829de62217f6a859b27fd26567f2b54862812fb9cf68e760bed4c81bd5.png (1366x768, 136.81K)

Use Q4OS. It's basically Debian on easy mode with all the shit you need right out of the box. The software center even comes with an installer for NVidia drivers, though I only own devices using Intel and AMD graphics so I am unable to test it. Q4OS uses TDE which is a KDE 3.5 fork. It's boring but it's stable and it works.

As for the VirtualBox vs QEmu debate, I'd say that VirtualBox is great for spinning up lazy x86 VMs for Windows or Linux and it's easy enough to use. QEmu is for more experienced users, though it does make it pretty simple to pass through graphics cards to the guest. QEmu's main benefit is that it'll emulate nearly any architecture under the sun. I use it to run MacOS 9.

Attached: Snapshot2.png (1280x1024, 782.1K)

ftfy

Shut up and read the wiki, fag.

wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DevuanInstall

Attached: Snapshot3.png (1092x737, 69.12K)

My reading comprehension was off. Now try replacing the init in Q4OS and see what happens next.

devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/migrate-to-ascii

Attached: 1541871245906.jpg (577x570, 63.33K)

It's better to create a new thread for that distro.

Attached: 1457161151933[1].jpg (234x230, 5.36K)

Why would I? You're gonna need to be more specific if you want me to take your arguments seriously.

Q4OS is simply an easy to use package that's assembled by that project. If you're a systemd hating basement dweller that wants to engage in some sort of operating system installation masochism, you're more than welcome to install all the pieces of Q4OS on top of Devuan, or migrate the Q4OS Debian base to Devuan using the links above.

Attached: 1541711645876.jpg (720x554, 38.12K)

The workaround needed involves an extra parameter in the QEMU command for initialising the VM. That's it. After that, GeForce cards run just fine, as if they were on bare metal. Quite a few people are using VMs with those cards successfully.

Just dual boot. Pick up your phone if you can't handle not looking at a screen for 20 seconds while your pc is restarting.
VFIO is a reddit-tier meme that's been shilled hard lately. It's cool that it's possible but it's pointless hipster solution in the end. Some of the /r/vfio users are resorting to buying kms devices because they only have one monitor. You would at best save 5 seconds over dual boot with that setup. It's a waste of hobby like overclocking that's not actually useful but feels productive.

What a shitty thread overall.

Pic unreal

any data collected is useless if you can't transfer it home, can the GPU access networking hardware?

proxmox