Gentle reminder to disable upnp and update your router firmware yesterday

Gentle reminder to disable upnp and update your router firmware yesterday.

Attached: upnp.jpg (600x600, 19.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/rRaIU
whatismyipaddress.com/ip/80.0.81.35
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why is UPnP bad? I use it for streaming music to kodi from my media server

archive.fo/rRaIU

UPnP is a piece of cancer which is hard to use. I tried to use it to forward a port and it never worked, so I just switched it off.

rf cucklets are going to be owned repeatedly until the end of days

Is it disabled on OpenWRT by default?

i tried and it crashed

All of my routers are running DDWRT or Tomato, and I don't use UPNP....

Who /dd-wrt/ here?

OpenWRT masterrace!

I always thought UPnP was a bad idea, even before becoming tech literate. Automating something that should only ever be done manually. However, my family uses it, so... welcome, botnet.

Attached: 1514603643.png (1500x1500, 304.6K)

Thx

My ISP puts all its clients behind the NAT with closed ports. Am I safe?

there is absolutely zero reasons to not to disable this crap. and no, you aren't safe ever tbh: your neighbor could be a communist spy who hacks into your computers to steal your precious memes.

Attached: security.jpg (2304x2870, 549.97K)

nsa btfo

Attached: UPnP_test.png (572x364 160.45 KB, 24.38K)

Is that your real IP?

whatismyipaddress.com/ip/80.0.81.35
wew

Based nothing-to-hide poster

Protip: LEO uses social engineering to catch pedos. They dont bother hacking your PC, they catch dumbasses who enter their email address and/or credit card number into honeypots.

There's more than just pedos that need to secure their shit. Most normies are wide open to attacks from random script kiddies and malware bots that want to encrypt their files (for extortion), or just simply suck up their resources mining for buttcoins, or outright turn them into a botnet zombie for attacking other systems.

I've never enabled that shit, because my installation on Common Sense 1.12 RC2 alerted me that it might be a retarded move. MAC filtering + insane passkey + reduced TX power to prevent anyone without a dish from even seeing the network. Also my three wifi networks are named US GOVERNMENT - DO NOT CONNECT, so that keeps people away.

literally make a linux box into a router. consumer routers have always been complete shit. even up to date they will typical contain enough vulns that i can find one in 5 minutes

someone can just sniff the air and get your mac you fucking charlatan. your mac isn't a secret. also it's bruteforceable

honestly does anyone know why the fuck there isn't anything that automatically forwards ports requested by applications using some sort of authentication? Or at least some simple way to obtain the port number the application is listening on so you can do the mapping yourself? (e.g. for applications with dynamic ports). Is it because (((they))) hate people hosting anything?
I mean, it's as retarded as wi-fi still using a shared password, despite the existence of WPA2 with EAP-PWD or EAP-EKE.

Wow, good thing I don't forward UPnP ports.

Also
Lmao

Attached: 1546560731237.jpg (1200x1162, 106.43K)

NAT is not a firewall dum-dum. Home routers don't block jack shit. Their firewalls are so open they will let even your mom through.

Firewalls are a meme. There is no scenario in which a home user needs a firewall.
The only thing they're good for is enforcing SELinux-type network policies on a Network, or maybe running malware in a controlled environment.

I use firewall to block everything, including all outgoing traffic. I can't even post here without adding a temporary rule to allow it.

Attached: SMB.jpg (1528x2100, 546.53K)

This motherfucker, this motherfucker right here knows whats up.

SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

does it matter? the router vendors would get it wrong, they're actual retards and on top of that they've constantly been compromised by government "security agencies". literally just install linux on a box and put some more ethernet ports on it

Fuck! You dumb bong! Doxxing yourself like that!!!
You are with Virgin Media in the UK, and took the day off work on that Friday in December (you wanted to use up your holidays), to set up the UPnP and some other DIY things & xmas shopping you planned for that day.

Accurate/10

Jeez mayn at least update

That's DLNA

Every time I see a setting for it, it's always labeled as "DLNA/UPnP", I always thought they were pretty much the same.

If your'e not building your own router with a low end, low power box (like AMD AM1 platform), installing hardened Gentoo with distcc on your main box, you are a pleb.

my router with a low end, low power athlon amd 200ge is my daily driver

Get ready to be spectred if you do that

Enjoy your PSP botnet.

because you have no idea what's the difference between UPnP and NAT-PMP

just like him

i dont have a router and i dont have upnp. it would not even be useful in this network setup

i used upnp once to forward a port on a router that i didnt have the password to. its also much easier to do it that way than by clicking through some complex webui