Firefox is RUSTED.com

Interesting numbers on the usage for Rust in Firefox from Nov 1st 2017 to Nov 1st 2018:
Rust usage by lines of code has gone up from 3.7% to 6.24%.
We now have a total of 405,379 lines of Rust vs 6,091,861 lines of C/C++.
More interestingly at this point the amount of Rust has increased by 172,839 lines of code vs 38,241 for C/C++. This is the cumulative amount of additions and removals over the last year. For a large part of the year C++ was trending down.
So at this point we've added 4.5X as much Rust as C/C++ over the past year! Note: this number is volatile as we tend to add large chunks of code on both sides (think WebRTC, WebRender, etc). Overall it looks like we're trending towards adding more Rust and removing more C++

How does this make you feel, Zig Forums?

Attached: RUSTED3.jpg (600x371 17.68 KB, 15.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44101
github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/wiki/Differences-between-Iridium-and-Chromium
spyware.neocities.org/articles/iron.html
spyware.neocities.org/articles/iridium.html
digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html
plv.mpi-sws.org/rustbelt/popl18/
github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc
bugzilla.mozilla.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go to bed Steve

who cares must of us dont use it because it is a botnet.

Which one do we use?

furryfox XDDDD

tor browser btfo

No news

Why does anybody donate money to mozilla? It's not even like anyone uses firefox anymore, and even then they don't even spend the money on firefox. They blow it on meme shit like rust and pocket, then give the rest away to negresses

Attached: StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-201001-201712.png (1280x720, 242.68K)

They are both unsafe.

That graph is actually a year old. The newest one is even worse. So much for FF quantum LMAO

Attached: StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-201001-201811.png (1280x720, 221.84K)

I wonder how forks of FF, like pale moon are counted. As firefox or other...

Also, holy moly UC Browser did way better than I expected. Enjoyed it quite a bunch

Most forks have their own user agent, so they're probably in other

absolutely indifferent, seems to run faster than it used to before they switched to rust

george soros probably

I miss these halcyon days.

Attached: firefoxtakethewebback.png (195x80, 104.06K)

The comparative is not correct there's like 60 different programming languages in firefox.
Removing C++ is good. Saying that it's trending is retarded since Mozilla are the one who adds rust code.

It shows how shit rust is. Ever since they release version 60, firefox became an even worse piece of trash. It didn't use to crash before then.

Imagine being so obsessed with Rust that you care whether firefox is 3% or 6% of it.

Attached: 58417479bff01bc1f65f210f8cfb3dc533d4ffbd6cd50d51568159bc7f9eb198.png (1280x720, 484.09K)

How is that interesting? Rust is one of the many money sinks Mozilla created, of course they're going to use it.

Attached: ex-rust-developer-interview.webm (896x504, 10.61M)

Desktop marketshare is a different story
Has quantum even made it to mobile?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1169x657, 114.05K)

Chrome

I don't think I will ever get tired of that webm.

Mozilla didn't create Rust. Rust already existed before Mozilla decided to sponsor the development of Rust.

it was created by a mozilla employee

Formerly good software is often ruined by buzzword shit. *shrugs* Don't care too much, if one formerly good thing becomes shit, usually someone will make a better version so good that we will forget the shit pile. It's the way of the tech world. Only thing I don't get about tech is the subculture of losers that don't code or solder or anything, just masturbate to anime while shitposting on imageboards. You know, people such as: ==that cocksucker known as OP==

Excellent. Firefox will have less exploits.

I realized you are all a bunch of faggots. I write embedded C software for a living, have experience with a couple of different languages and read more in depth about Rust recently. And I see nothing wrong with it. It enforces compile-time checks which eliminate most of the issues which C code introduces. Its performance is close to that of a C program. Its syntax is kind of ugly, but I used to write Perl, so it's not that bad. Besides all that, it is definitely a step forward and I believe it will contribute to writing more memory safe software. Understanding memory allocation in C is a necessary thing for every programmer, but the industry needs something like Rust to create secure software. Ada is also a great option, sadly it is not being used for anything.
Also, firefox is not that bad, tbqh. I'd rather use it than chrome any day. Does any of you have a legit argument against Rust, which is not related to CoC or it being funded by Mozilla?

Don't you have some cocs to suck, rustfag?

Attached: Theo_de_Raadt_vs_Rust_(EuroBSDcon_2017).webm (1280x720, 8.46M)

Discarded

That's the worst indictment of Rust that isn't a CoC? Rust is doing very well in practice.

Rust really is winning

lol

What a UNIX weenie.

Nothing worth using is written in rust

One: you can write memory safe software with C/C++ if you know what you are doing. Most developers don't know what they are doing and don't care. Caring about writing good software doesn't get software written.
Two: numerous tools exist to check for memory unsafe operations in C or C++: developers don't use them because they don't care.
Three: Ada failed because programmers like to write [code] while ((*(c++) = getchar()) != EOF) ; [code] This is demonstrably garbage code, but you average programmer likes it because it makes them feel clever, something that they are not.

Now, as for Rust. I don't care. I want to see demonstrable performance improvements before I try the meme language of the day. I would rather write my own meme language of the day. If the tool does not make me more productive at solving old problems, or allow me to solve new problems, then I will use my old tool, despite the fact that many of my peers are fucking retards.

Most users are happy with the preinstalled chrome on their phones, it's a completely different story to PCs

Who cares about them using some fucking meme language.
I just want them to stop fucking ruining the usability.

control + tab does not switch to the next tab anymore but instead opens a retarded windows-like window switcher.
And fuck them for removing support for tab groups and the possibility to implement such extensions.

Attached: Ex-Mozilla dev talks about Firefox (480p_24fps_VP9-128kbit_Opus).webm (854x480, 9.8M)

Attached: Ex Mozilla Employee on Drugs_ (720p_30fps_H264-192kbit_AAC).mp4 (1280x720, 10.93M)

Pre-botnet firefox and lynx

Don't be this nigger.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1045x580, 151.36K)

I think none of this is present in the German fork Iron:
Comparison sheet
srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
DL:
srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44101

Lots of enterprises put Firefox by default because Chrome is spy and Edge is shit. No one knows Opera/Brave/Vivaldi.
Schools also uses it a lot.
Don't take your case for everyone else's

github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/wiki/Differences-between-Iridium-and-Chromium
Great. Waiting for the day you can't access infinitychan anymore.

You can still block the jewgle safe browsing and other botnet domains though.

I work in a processing center for a major bank, and Chrome is installed on every employees machine. Chrome is much more appropriate for enterprise use than firefox, I would honestly be surprised if any large corporations distribute firefox on their internal package managers

Ask your bank that is it okay to have their employees surveiled by the NSA. Protip: You will never find a decent answer from them.

Obviously they don't care, they snoop your web traffic themselves. Also google distributes "chrome for enterprise" which we use, and presumably it has less botnet in it to make s&c people happy

I work for ahem... something something the US government and Chrome is prohibited from our computers. Firefox can be requested, and Internet Explorer (not Edge) is the default browser.

You've fallen for the lies on that website. It is just as bad as chrome, except some random guy spies on you instead. It's a terrible choice overall and it literally phones in your internet history to the developer. This picture is from when I ran it through MITMproxy, you can see every time you make a search it just copies that and sends it back home. It's a total botnet and the website is full of shit.

spyware.neocities.org/articles/iron.html

Iridium has safebrowsing and even lies about what server it makes the requests too. It's just not as good as something like Ungoogled-Chromium. Iridium has Google Safe Browsing enabled by default. This means within 5 minutes after start and then periodically every 30(?) minutes, a request to iridiumbrowser.de (keeps a cache of the GSB data) is made to update the safe browsing database. This is just a lie and it still makes the request to google, it doesn't request iridiumbrowser.de.

spyware.neocities.org/articles/iridium.html

Just use ungoogled-chromium or something if you must use chrome.

Mozilla doesn't make any meaningful money out of donations. It's just there to help people feel like they are contributing and that it's run by a community. See image and also: digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

Attached: iron_bing.png (741x324 18.24 KB, 41.97K)

I work for a medical industry that sells in 150+ country, Firefox is the official recommended browser. Chrome is still installed aside in case of incompatibilty.
But I'm not american, you certainly have less problem being spied by your government than us.

His company unironically trusts Google and closed source software

>spyware.neocities.org/articles/iron.html
Article is garbage and what's written down happens in every browser without at least uBlock.
It's default behavior for every fucking browser.
No. It is. It has all google crap removed. The core of what is wrong with chrome. WTF is wrong with you faggots?
Great reason. Totally makes it spyware.
Spyware is software that spies on you.

Iron is just Chromium without google shit and different default start page and search engine and some stupid bookmarks.

What I also see and note is your spacing and your abuse of code blocks.

"Default behavior" is loading javascript from every conceivable social media site at once when you start it up?

"Default behavior" is sending copies of your internet searches to the developer?

Well, if you use any search engine it sends your internet search requests to the search engine.
You know all those stupid buttons? Bet they are on that start page.

Is this an autistic rant that you shouldn't have to configure the software not to phone home to begin with, or are there actual unfixable botnet features in the current version of firefox?

The absolute state of /g/ refugees

woah, mind blown

Right, but this is different. It sends copies of your requests to the developer, who has NOTHING to do with the search service you are trying to access, and then sends the actual request to the search engine. That isn't acceptable at all. Look at the second screenshot of . It sends requests to two random sites ( one of which the developer owns ) that have nothing to do with the search engine. It's just spyware.

If I look something up on Bing, then only Bing should get my search. The browser has no business sending copies of that to the developer's site.

Right, because it's using start.me, which pays browser developers to use their start pages. Either way how it happens isn't very important. The fact is that it's set up that way and that's bad.

Not phoning home should be the default, yes. Fixing Firefox and then auditing each update and fixing that too is possible however it isn't really worth the trouble. What if you just used a browser that didn't need to be fixed?

Okay, that's because srware-search.com is the default search engine which just sends you to Bing.
Who the fuck uses the default search engine?

So again, it's literally not a search engine. The search engine is Bing. srware-search is just spyware, it does absolutely nothing, except collection of information about you. Why is this acceptable to you?

You can change it, but that doesn't excuse it. You shouldn't have to fight your software for something as basic as privacy.

Could someone actually explain what's wrong with Rust, the programming language, without complaining about
which doesn't concern you if you're not a Rust contributor
a bunch of randoms on Github that you literally never have to interact with
a 16 year old legacy codebase still mostly written in C/C++, which has only improved with the addition of Servo components through Quantum
a) almost every foreign language library worth using has rust bindings available
b) it's only been 3 years since the first stable release and the selection of native libraries is already actually quite extensive

shut up fag

Rust is huge and nobody has ever audited it or provided an alternate implementation. Nobody knows where it's going or what it's for. It's just this huge, huge, difficult to compile, enormous interlocking web of botnet that nobody can hope to understand.

As a FORTH fag it makes me vomit.

This is exactly what is wrong with this board.

I'm not trying to make a judgment on the language but the valid concerns I've heard are to do with having to fight the borrow checker and the lack of momentum in the form of libraries and developers compared to more traditional systems programming languages. I've also heard the complaint that Ada does safe systems programming better. Comparing it to higher level languages like Clojure, or Idris, isn't fair so I won't be doing that but needless to say Rust doesn't fix the problems that higher level languages are trying to solve (making dsl's to solve probems and formal verification in this case).

spotted the anti Rust shill
plv.mpi-sws.org/rustbelt/popl18/
github.com/thepowersgang/mrustc

Happy to see the RIDF is still going strong, despite nobody using your faggy little language. Stay strong brothers

It's just me, Steve Klabnik. Thanks though :3

based steve

So do you fucking faggots think anybody buys your shit?

Steve Klabnik is the Todd Howard of programming

pathetic

qutebrowser

absolutely incorrect.

pathetic

one drop, nigger

Maybe, maybe not. Some people can text while driving as well. Every now and then there are new exploits on all kinds of software which is written in a memory unsafe language. Humans make mistakes so by using a memory safe language we are minimizing our chances of failure. Memory safety is crucial for huge pieces of software that operate in the industry where human lifes may depend on it.
This is correct, however sometimes your piece of software is so big that it is impossible to use something like valgrind on it and that's where compile-time checks would be most useful.
I don't like its syntax, tbh. It reminds me of visual basic. Also I haven't seen any software written in it yet.

I have a more terrifying problem, firefox keeps creating "Desktop" folder when I try to upload pictures somewhere. What the fuck is wrong with it?

good question. I assume you're on GNU/Linux
You see there is a desktop folder inside the user folder on most OSs so it probably creates it while actually just looking for it because the file opener probably has a shortcut for it.
That would fit your description. Try recreating it and post a bug report. bugzilla.mozilla.org
Thing like that wouldn't terrify me.

Fuck no, can't be arsed.

i don't care what firefux is written in. get rid of about 500 thousand """features""" and i'll start to be interested in it

if you're still using sjwfox at this point, then you deserve the future you chose.

Zig Forums can't admit rust is the best thing since sliced bread

muh CARBOHYDRATES

is that the web developer version of Terry?

try to configure chromium so that no packets to daddy jewgle show up on wireshark and then we'll talk

Bump

I have switched dozens of people to Firefox (and Ublock Origin on top of that) over the years so at least some of us are taking action against Chrome botnet. What did you really do other than beating your dick off to graphs like those?

I'm starting to believe there are shills who don't want people to not waste their time and use faggots as a scarecrow.

Attached: fast-programs-different-programming-languages.png (663x382, 72.17K)

I don't like RUST at all.
Just you wait until they make it webassembly ready™ and prepare for exploits that will wipe your firmwares.

TERRY LIVES ON!

Both Firefox and Chrome have been Webassembly ready for a while.

Zig Forums is full of anti Rust shills

You do realize that even ungoogled chromium still establishes connection to Google Mountain View CA IP address?
It's fricking botnets.
Maybe you can even prove it yourself, Just get proxifier and monitor the connections yourself or if you're not stupid just use the native RESMON program and match the PID with the rogue connections or better yet configure firewall logs over your unlocked router and if not then use a packet sniffer over the same network with another PC or itself.

why are you quoting those shit websites as some sort of proof my dude?