ANOTHER SYSTEMD EXPLOIT

UNPRIVILEGED USERS WITH UID > INT_MAX CAN SUCCESSFULLY EXECUTE ANY SYSTEMCTL COMMAND.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/11026

archive.is/73vP2

Attached: poettering.jpg (1280x960, 236.53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

smcv.pseudorandom.co.uk/2015/why_polkit/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C18_(C_standard_revision)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it juts passes a password

Pottering:
Such a typical response.

WTF does polkit even do? It's just one of those pieces of shitware that I habitually uninstall.

It's to allow normal users to peform tasks that should normally require admin access.
smcv.pseudorandom.co.uk/2015/why_polkit/
Describes it well.

That's a good explanation, thanks.
I'm still not going to use it because I don't need such a thing, but at least I can understand why it exists.

What is all this gibberish? Help me with my taskbar, it's disappeared. Obviously your fault since the last time I paid you to backup my video files.

It's not an exploit per say, but it definietly goes to show how bad code quality is.

how does this ever happen

UID is a long, INT_MAX is an int.

Yep, and it's only going to get hugging worse.

Attached: bazaar.jpg (1760x1322 297.92 KB, 1.79M)

per se

I know,the bug should be fixed in system even though the bug is completely different software.

It's a bug in policykit-1 and you need root privileges to create new users with custom UIDs anyway

this, it's not really an exploit.
It's just a really retarded bug.

>(((systemd)))
like poettering.

who the heck is perse

Basically it's useless shit for "year of the Leenoox danktop" cunts who can't into sudo or just su to root or login as root on /dev/ttyX. Those subversive bastards can go get notabuggered into oblivion for all I care.

More like another C integer overflow bug.

Why am I retraining myself in Ada? Because since 1979 Ihave been trying to write reliable code in C. (Definition:reliable code never gives wrong answers without an explicitapology.) Trying and failing. I have been frustrated tothe screaming point by trying to write code that couldsurvive (some) run-time errors in other people's code linkedwith it. I'd look wistfully at BSD's three-argument signalhandlers, which at least offered the possibility of providehardware specific recovery code in #ifdefs, but grit myteeth and struggle on having to write code that would workin System V as well.There are times when I feel that clocks are running fasterbut the calendar is running backwards. My first seriousprogramming was done in Burroughs B6700 Extended Algol. Igot used to the idea that if the hardware can't give you theright answer, it complains, and your ON OVERFLOW statementhas a chance to do something else. That saved my bacon morethan once.When I met C, it was obviously pathetic compared with the_real_ languages I'd used, but heck, it ran on a 16-bitmachine, and it was better than 'as'. When the VAX cameout, I was very pleased: "the interrupt on integer overflowbit is _just_ what I want". Then I was very disappointed:"the wretched C system _has_ a signal for integer overflowbut makes sure it never happens even when it ought to".It would be a good thing if hardware designers wouldremember that the ANSI C standard provides _two_ forms of"integer" arithmetic: 'unsigned' arithmetic which must wraparound, and 'signed' arithmetic which MAY TRAP (or wrap, ormake demons fly out of your nose). "Portable Cprogrammers", know that they CANNOT rely on integerarithmetic _not_ trapping, and they know (if they have donetheir homework) that there are commercially significantmachines where C integer overflow _is_ trapped, so theywould rather the Alpha trapped so that they could use theAlpha as a porting base.Having said which: I will gladly put up with the Alphaexception mechanism as long as - there is a documented C-callable function which controls the integer trapping state - there is a documented C-callable function which controls IEEE-ish floating-point traps - there is a documented C-callable function which includes a barrier (can I _rely_ on signal(SIGFPE, f) including a barrier?)

ITT : post le poitering face

Attached: poter-ring.jpg (3456x2304, 2.71M)

That long quote is against you, retard. C did nothing but try to consider all the possible hardware, including the retarded archs.

C is a powerful tool. Much like a mere peasant couldn't properly wield a zweihänder, only causing injury to himself. You need to have gains from the gym of software security and computer logic in order to wield C to horse-slicing epicness. With C YOU are the person penetrating into the backside of your computer, you need to assert dominance and have the proper skills to keep the slave in line or it might cause total financial ruin on you.

Pray to the apostles of electrical manipulation: Dennis, Ken and Brian.

Attached: 982a9960.jpg (1174x1250, 403.5K)

You spelled Brazzer wrong.

I support C. You hipsters can get hugged.

So create a semi-privileged group and give them permission to use sudo for that particular task.

If Pottering released his own OS, I'd unironically use it over Linux.

How feasible is that? Is this the same bullshit about users that start/contain numbers and would never happen anyway?

I believe polkit(Policy Kit) is to configure what users can and can't do rather than passing a privilege escalation program such as sudo or doas in the shell.
Your comment only would have made sense had this been a discussion about sudo.

Even on non-retarded hardware that has trapping instructions or lets you set a trap on overflow bit, there is nothing you can do to recover from the error. Ada has to check for overflows and raise an exception no matter what the hardware does unless you suppress overflow checks. C did not consider most of the hardware Ada and other non-UNIX languages can run on at all. UNIX has even more hardware restrictions than C, which is why all these RISCs are just 64-bit clones of the PDP-11 with its flat address space.

C weenies always call C powerful but all they mean is that C has pointer arithmetic. You can't write malloc or a GC in standard C. What you can do in standard C without undefined behavior is a lot more restricted and less useful than most languages.

Why do none of the Linux or systemd "programmers" have these "gains" or "horse-slicing epicness" or whatever you want to call it? They are the ones responsible for all these bugs and exploits, but that's not surprising since the C language itself is just as buggy and defective as C code.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C18_(C_standard_revision)
>The STDC_VERSION macro is increased to the value 201710L.
The C standards committee made a language with so many "defects" that the only "new feature" in 7 years was a new version number. If it was any other language (even C++), this would be a joke and probably the end of the standards committee, but in the C community, the only thing surprising about taking 7 years just to fix bugs in the standard is that it didn't take longer.

With C, 15,600 Linux weenies are "penetrating into the backside of your computer," not including EFI, X11, and all that other C bullshit. You have no control because C needs so much code to do anything. Your "Hello World" and "FizzBuzz" might seem "powerful" and "dominant" to you, but it's nothing compared to the more than 60 million lines of C and C++ code you need just to be able to post here. Lisp machines have created a better environment with much less code.

Just like what happened to Lucent, SGI, and all these other UNIX companies, and all these C projects like Workplace OS and Copland.

I have a lot of respect for "apostles of electrical manipulation" who created computer systems and subsystems. These AT&T employees were just shitty "programmers" who were not smart enough to do system calls properly or make a compiler that could check array bounds or integer overflows, and then blamed the hardware for their own inabilities. Much like outsourced Pajeet code, "their" pile of shit was only used to save money on licensing fees and to avoid hiring real programmers, and most of it had to be replaced and was written by other people anyway.

Subject: Mixed Up Mail I cannot think of a comment to add that could possibly top what follows.I can. Isn't it typical that unix weenies would blamehardware for this problem? Can you imagine a hardware faultthat would explain this snafu? Not a chance. This is theGreat Satan Sendmail feeding its dark energy on the mailfiles of innocents.

shoo shoo

sudo apt-get remove rust* libstd-rust* cargo*

sudo apt-get remove snapd* libsnapd*

you're a retard and devalue any thread you post in. I'd rather have you banned than the LARPer you're responding to.

Kernighan has done nothing of note except awk, and to act as a UNIX talking head. Stop idolising C. It's good but it's not this magic wondertool that only works in the hands of mega-geniuses; you're simply consistently writing trivial programs

based

Ha! A cathedral and bazaar reference.

>>>/metatech/1855
sage for offtopic

It just works.

Attached: todd poettering.png (1024x678, 841.69K)

What are those pictures of?

The first is a cathedral, the second is a bazaar.

Lurk 2 years before posting.

Bump, how will Lennart ever recover? It's pretty clear that System D is full of these exploits and it's likely three are committed to the codebase for every one squashed.

>tfw using OpenBSD

No it's not clear. If you have a report detailing your numbers, then that will clear it up.

Enjoy while it lasts. Look at what people are OBSD and look at their twatters. You know, Theo can get fucked like Linus easily. Especially now when many refugess must have spread the word.

OpenBSD isn't owned by commercial interests, so it's not vulnerable to the same shenanigans. They would have better luck to pwn NetBSD but even there they have enough redpilled people who resist.
Then there's the fact that it would largely be a wasted effort. Not enough people run those OS for it to matter. They don't try to provide an alternative to Windows with the "year of the Leenoox danktop" shit, where everything has to be something idiot can click on, instead of reading man page and understanding how the OS works fundamentally.

The biggest NetBSD installation is the non-profit sdf.org and developers of the OS are involved with that organization. It's typically running any upgrade long before the official release. They will take good care of it. SDF might be the last wild west multi-user Unix system community.

What would you rather be the industry standard or the language good programmers coded in, oh great mail list wizard? Lisp, Ada and Rust are not legitimate answers for the reasons listed below.

Autocad
Crash Bandicoot

Days without any new Intel, Windows 10 or systemd botnet/bug/bullshit discovered should be marked red in the calendar by now.

What currently used systems have an int that's not at least as long as a long?

Hmmm nice lawyer speak Lennart...

The same was assumed of Linux, or earlier of FreeBSD. When push came to shove though hardly anyone stood firmly against the sjw assault and eventual usual hostile takeover.

AutoCAD publicly stated they were scrapping some of their Lisp functions. I'm not gonna go through their entire git to check how much is left, I know they still use some Lisp functions and likely will to the end of the program's production cycle.
Jak and Daxter (great series before the reboot) also used Lisp. Crash Bandicoot too like you mentioned. I'm glad there are people on Zig Forums who aren't complete LARPers.

Nor was Linux or GNU. But now they are.
Theo may be based, but what gives him an immunity Linus didn't have?

Attached: 509e7dd0659a1a0e92c1135ea243e5c446e4b28c7db13d3a1d87f4eb.jpg (960x540, 117.12K)

Theo is free of the danger known as a (((feminist daughter))).

Theo is the dictator for life and doesn't answer to anyone. He also doesn't want his OS to become popular, and considers it a research OS project. He's sharp enough to realize that's what it takes to stay in control of it.

Fuck LeFart Poottering and SystemDicks
You guys should've paid attention to the heavy shilling and unquestioned adoption of systemd, it is a cancer in the GNU/Linux environment and ought to be removed before it's too late it's too late

How do you obtain an account with a custom UID?

I paid attention and it's not too late, for now Linux works without system d but you're right, shit's niggered up good now.

I've been running Devuan for over a year and it's been okay (I kind of fucked up by upgrading to the testing distribution from stable.)

okay this is epic

What's a good sysd free distro to migrate to?

Gentoo. Seriously.

See

Attached: Mr Notabug "Wontfix" Worksonmymachine.png (860x2176, 227.17K)

The joy of open source; free to see and poke holes on the faggot who can't code for shit.

I'm also on Devuan but I have this sneaking suspicion that the kernel itself is fully niggered up and it will just become more obvious over time. I'm making the move to OpenBSD as much as possible but I need Mathematica for work.

It's just one more thing subsumed into a system which will never be feature frozen, checkpointed, audited, and fixed. Fuck that shit in the goat ass.

WTF. that's fucking braindead and defeats the purpose of using MAC in the first place. If your app can't access audio, then it's like that for a fucking reason. It shouldn't be able to access a (((service))) that provides audio, and thus get around the MAC rules. If the app in question really needs audio, then the admin or package maintainer or whoever the fuck is responsible for locking shit down must add the proper MAC rules for that app. Period. End of fuckign story. These fucking services are nothing but cianigger side channels with lots of extra bloats and room for bugs and exploitation. All fucking desktop Leenoox is this way. It's a fucking disgrace, and you're a failure for advocating it.

You can do that with doas.

Do people here actually dislike Poettering?

if he gets enough thumbs down maybe he will fuck off

Nobody likes him, he's insufferable, writes shitty bloated code full of holes to make it easier for the glowniggers to spy on us all, and is actually of communist East German heritage.

what if when the kernel turns to shit, we get together and start releasing modified kernels after each release, there's probably enough NEETs on here with the time to do it who would benefit from putting it on a resume or just the street cred.

Attached: 1543737675318.png (734x1110, 230.57K)

It's truly a mistery, sir.

Attached: Kumar-Priyansh-the-developer-of-BackSlash-Linux-350x233.jpg (640x426, 29.07K)

How does (((anyone))) end up with a (((feminist daughter)))?

I always recommend forking. It's just people don't care to invest themselves into it and bitch when other people don't do it.

Just because there's no alternative doesn't mean that something isn't shit.

Attached: golly.jpg (1000x1500, 147.57K)

I just figured it out. He's the Macron of Linux.

Attached: 2af8cb6bfa0f6c5785dc09da117565d665ffee33bae5ade39be1855a57f2dceb.jpg (472x472, 27.92K)

It is a waste to do that. You cannot save anything from the literal pile of excrement that the linux kernel post code of conduct becomes. Zero redeeming features: all of its code is touched by the code of conduct cancer. Your modifications would have to be just staying at a pre code of conduct version.
It's much, much better to fork. You could even fork at ~2.6.36, the time when many generic drivers became available.

by raising her in (((certain places))) and putting her on (((brainwashing centers))).

Do you even understand what "sandboxed" means?

It means illusion of security, the security theatre that all these idiots keep making by adding more code and extra layers that doesn't actually fix the root causes but only addresses symptoms. And it's the same with "mitigations". Even OpenBSD is all crazy about mitigations. They're going full hog on 64-bit ARM (which all do speculative execution) and basically treating the Cortex-A7 as third-class citizen, even though it's one of the few ARM processors that actually lives up to the so-called standards they have WRT security. THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE MAJOR OS PROJECT IN EXISTENCE TODAY THAT'S ACTUALLY SERIOUS ABOUT SECURITY. And you bought into the fucking kool-aid, you retard.

It's too big and bloated. Just easier to switch to OpenBSD now and devote effort to improving it by submitting patches for stuff you like to do.

She literally hung out with the crust punks in Pioneer Square begging for coins.

easier to write a redesigned kernel purpose-built for the current era.

by having a feminist wife :)

What did you mean by this?

This is how politicians are born.

Not all 64 bit ARM machines do speculative execution. The Pi doesn’t.

he's correct you dick fuck

dat Cortex-A53 branch predictor tho

based

wtf i love poettering now

This is the absolute state of GNU/Linux. Systemd is so bloated and retarded... Ok. It boots some seconds faster in some machines, but are a couple seconds worth all the trouble it comes with?

Pottering is a fucking cunt.
Kill him while you can... Bunch of WinLosers.

Why can't we just use OpenRC or some shit for enterprise? Hell tons of servers still using upstart.

People don't care to invest that time. They'd prefer for other people to do the work. The tools are already there, you will have to take the time to learn how to use them and then more time to use them.

(oof)
glibc/malloc/malloc.c