ICC vs GCC

James Ross
James Ross

I've read that ICC produces noticeably faster exectuables compared to GCC. If so, why aren't people ricing their systems with ICC? Would the GNU/Linux kernel even compile?

Attached: ProductGraphic-ParallelStudio-375.png (218.49 KB, 375x472)

All urls found in this thread:

linuxjournal.com/content/linuxdna-supercharges-linux-intel-cc-compiler
github.com/linuxdna
software.intel.com/en-us/try-buy-tools

Christopher Nguyen
Christopher Nguyen

Try it.

Easton Mitchell
Easton Mitchell

Because ICC compiled programs run slower when it detects it's running on (Authentic)AMD CPUs.

Blake Harris
Blake Harris

Linux won't compile because it has GNU ASM (GAS) parts of code, embedded directly into C source code. For the same reason you can't compile Linux using clang.

Isaac Stewart
Isaac Stewart

I've read that ICC produces noticeably faster exectuables compared to GCC
I'd be curious to know if the difference is more than marginal when you ensure both compilers use the same levels and types of safety, (un)rolling and all that.

Joshua Hall
Joshua Hall

It depends on the program. Usually icc wins (with an Intel processor), sometimes gcc, and sometimes even clang. Comparing is a bit difficult though since all of them can use different flags, in different orders, and have different compile times.
Would the GNU/Linux kernel even compile?
The kernel can now be compiled with clang, perhaps icc works too but I don't think so. I wouldn't risk it since there's little benefit even if it happens to be faster.
You can if you use gnu's assembler.

Ryan Howard
Ryan Howard

clang can use gas inline assembly

Christian Gomez
Christian Gomez

LinuxDNA was a project that patched the kernel to allow it to be compiled with icc.
linuxjournal.com/content/linuxdna-supercharges-linux-intel-cc-compiler
It seems that their last patch is against a kernel version that's now ancient (2.6 series), but it is still the kernel for RHEL 6, which is still supported until 2020.
github.com/linuxdna
Unless there are plans to port the patches to the support 3.x series of kernels, or to 4.x, I assume the project is moribund.

Adrian Howard
Adrian Howard

Because it's proprietary, duuuh!

Leo Scott
Leo Scott

closed source icc is custom tuned to perform well on benchmarks by cheating and this has been a known fact for more than 15 years
"it's faster, goyim" he says even while this is known
Back when Spec was important every large compiler maker cheated on the benchmarks, Sun did it, Intel did it, IBM did it, and eventually synthetic benchmarks fell out of favor because of the cheating.

Brayden Taylor
Brayden Taylor

ICC produces noticeably faster exectuables
As long as it's on an IntelĀ® CPU, goy.

Jaxon Davis
Jaxon Davis

GCC targets a very wide range of ISA. ICC targets one specific ISA. GCC's project scope is massive while ICC's scope is tiny in comparison.

Elijah Evans
Elijah Evans

this used to be true years ago but I don't think so anymore. pretty sure Intel abandoned it.

Owen Watson
Owen Watson

It costs a huge amount of money for a license. Have you seen the prices on that shit? $699 to start and $499 to renew. Of course people don't use it.

software.intel.com/en-us/try-buy-tools

Jason Foster
Jason Foster

This might've been true in 2005.

Colton Ross
Colton Ross

<being a poor fag
It's really not that expensive for the value it gives

Tyler Lewis
Tyler Lewis

I riced my system with ICC once, but it wasn't worth messing with non-portable arguments. A lot of the optimizations require explicitly testing your application because they make assumptions about aliasing and struct packing.

Ethan Walker
Ethan Walker

Its free for .edu emails. Also a lot of license codes are floating around which are valid for linux. They never seem to get revoked.

Benjamin Gutierrez
Benjamin Gutierrez

All that tells me is GCC is trash

Are you fucking telling me this whole time performance on GNU/Linux could've been solved years ago with a decent compiler?

Luke Taylor
Luke Taylor

There is no problem with GNU's or Linux' performance.

Nathaniel Harris
Nathaniel Harris

I have no idea what you're referring to about GNU or Linux related run time performance.

Zachary Lewis
Zachary Lewis

he doesn't know that ICC doesn't speed up anything but synthetic benchmarks
We've been over this years ago you fuckboi.

Nicholas Johnson
Nicholas Johnson

why not audit the source code and change the line:
"if cpu = amd run like shit: 1
to
"if cpu = amd run like shit: 0

Robert Stewart
Robert Stewart

(((They))) will sue you for reverse engineering,

Charles Morgan
Charles Morgan

Because it's closed source.

William Allen
William Allen

That's not how their compiler slows down AMD cpus. They insert hint instructions that masquerade as NOP instructions on an AMD cpu, but give better branch prediction and caching on intel cpu's.
Really all its doing is leveraging features that intel CPUs have, that AMD cpu's don't.

Luis Davis
Luis Davis

Not true at all, years ago ICC code was decompiled and it was proved that there were tons of ways they employed to slow down code on AMD. It was a big scandal at the time.

Michael Morgan
Michael Morgan

That was the "scandal" but fanboys were salty about it and wanted to cause drama

Justin Gomez
Justin Gomez

why hasn't anyone mentioned tcc? literally the comfiest C compiler. Also why isn't there FreeDOS flag? :(

this

kek. it's easy to spot inlel shills nowadays.

Logan Sanders
Logan Sanders

easy to spot intel shills
But you responded to this thread.

Thomas Watson
Thomas Watson

tcc? literally the comfiest C compiler
supports scripting with shebang, then executes from the commandline
That's pretty cool. Although people that would like to script in C are probably sparse (or already use tcsh). The D guys still have to market their language more as something that you can comfortably script in.

Charles Morales
Charles Morales

no super-duper optimization = no comfy

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit